gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:27:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Reiley on Dennis friendship  (Read 1801 times)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »

Like I mentioned in the Jack Reiley passing thread, Jack was a member of the Pet Sounds mailing list for a while around 1996 and shared a lot of very interesting and personal stories about his time with the Beach Boys. I made it a point to save everything that he wrote and still have copies of his writings almost 20 years later. I don't want to suddenly inundate the board with every story and recollection he shared, but thought this one was particularly respectful to both his, and Dennis's, memories. I may share more later.

Like others have said, I think Jack had a tremendously positive influence on the group and I enjoy the music from that era, much of it that he was directly involved in creating, probably more than any other period in their career.

Here's what he wrote about his friendship with Dennis:

No one could have been a better friend than Dennis Wilson. 

I met him in New Mexico just weeks after being signed up with the Beach Boys. He was on location for Two Lane Blacktop, the minor opus he did together with James Taylor.  Dennis scared the sh*t out of me upon our first meeting, greeting me with a mistrusting stare, scowling and shouting-spitting the words, "So you're the asshole who's supposed to save us, heh? Well guess what, ass hole: I'm quitting the Beach Boys."  Speechless, I wanted to crawl back to the rental car and drive off.  After staring me down for another long moment Dennis' face changed abruptly to a caring, bashful smile. He put his arms around me.
"Carl
says you're the best thing that has happened to him!"  I was confused, maybe even trembling slightly.

It was the odd beginning of a deep friendship.

Collaborating with Dennis meant brooding with him, being harsh with his self-indulgence, providing encouragement to his brilliance.  When he sat down and played the piano and sang, I could not help but feel excited. 

He loved his brothers very deeply.  He was in awe of Brian; always concerned about Carl. "Gotta watch out for the quiet one," he warned frequently with a wink.

I firmly believe Murry convinced Dennis during early childhood that he was a dumb f***. And I am certain that Dennis worked most of his life to live up to his father's definition.

Once, in Milwaukee when he met my father, he embraced him and said he was "humbled" to "be in your presence." 

I must once share with you the bizarre tale of a night in London, long after I had left the group, when Dennis broke down my hotel door because he was afraid I was dying. He was trying to save me. 

Remind me as well to take time, sometime, to relate the story of Murry's funeral.

On a visit to L.A., a year or two after the Holland album, I stayed at Dennis'
house in Malibu for a few nights.  He was still with Barbara then.  I was to fly to Milwaukee in order to visit my dad before returning to Europe.  About
4 a.m.
on the last night of my stay with them, Dennis came into the guest bedroom and awoke me with a gentleness that grips me still. He looked grim, sad beyond words. "Your brother is on the phone," he said softly, caressing me as a parent caresses a child.  My brother had phoned to say our father had died.

When we played a free gig at the California state prison for women, I nearly flipped to see how many of the inmates knew Dennis personally.  Of course the Manson girls were there, hooting and cheering every song.

His solo album may be a bit over the top, but it is filled with so much intensity, so much raw emotion, so much musical mastery and beauty that now, just thinking about it, I get goose pimples everywhere.

-  Jack
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »

Not much to add to that except that Jack did his best to help Dennis's songs get on the albums.  As good as SU is, imagine 4th Of July on it - maybe opening Side Two, ie following SDT. 
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »

Great read, Gregg.  Thanks for sharing.  If time permits, please share more of Jack's stories. 
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »

Read all this here:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=9651.0

Many good reads here.  R.I.P. Jack Reiley.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:12:46 AM »

Thanks for the link ForHerCryingSoul.  Great stuff.  Much appreciated.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

Was wondering:  Did Mr. Reiley ever relate his story about Murry's funeral?

It's more than likely old news to most of you, but I don't believe I've ever heard it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx