gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:19:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Rieley has passed...  (Read 32810 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

Jack may have had his flaws here and there but thanks to his and Carl's persistence, Surf's Up, the song, was finished and released, and that started the chain of events that, ever so gradually, got Smile out to the world.  For that alone, we all owe him bigtime. But there's also Feel Flows, The Trader, his encouragement of Dennis's songwriting....his work in getting the band covered in Rolling Stone et al... and a lot of other things.  RIP
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »

The pop world could do with more colourful characters like you, Jack. Rest in peace.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »

Jack sings Day In The Life Of A Tree onstage in Long Beach, Dec 3 '71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcorwiADBeM
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »

Never before or since have I heard a BB insider give a quote that is more on-the-nose and well-written than Jack's famous quote, which doubles as Rocker's signature:

"To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public."
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »

Wow, I just saw Brian's facebook post. That's a shame, he might've had some sketchy credentials, but the guy did a lot to rehabilitate their image and helped Carl, Brian, and Dennis write some great songs. Him recalling how Brian felt about Heroes and Villains' failures is one of my favorite quotes about the band, and the one in Rocker's signature too. Sad to lose another member of the band's history.

RIP and thank you for some really cool music outside of the Beach Boys as well.

What else did he do? I can't really find much on him.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »

I remember when he was a member of the Pet Sounds mailing list back in the mid-90's. He shared quite a few very interesting stories about his time with the Beach Boys. I kept copies of all of them. One of them he called "The Gravedigger", about the time Brian dug a grave in his backyard. Pretty wild stuff.
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »

Such sad news... Jack Rieley gave the Beach Boys a great new direction and kicked off one of the most creative periods in the band's history. Just listen to "Surf's Up", "Carl & the Passions" and "Holland"! Thanks Jack for adding another facet to the legend of the Beach Boys...  Embarrassed

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »

Jack was brought in to help make the band hip. I think he succeeded. I think he wrote more avant-garde artsy-fartsy lyrics than Van Dyke did.

There's a great interview with Jack somewhere on the Internet, maybe even on this website. Recommended reading. Jack was very candid and comical and really exposing his feelings about a lot of things. Always loved "You Need A Mess Of Help" and "Hold On Dear Brother". Jack's best stuff is on the CT&P album. Anybody here heard his album Western Justice?

I'm going home tonight and play the live '73 version of Marcella and turn it up LOUD in Jack's honor. I love this song. Jack conveyed what Brian was thinking about the masseuse in West Hollywood:

Mystic maiden's more than soft and sexy
She can mess my mind with the stuff that she knows
Her new found beauty goes beyond her covering
And sets a flame in her soul!

Brave new woman standing proud and dazzling
Grips the goal that eluded her soul
Direction bringing her to now's tomorrow
And my love for her still grows!

One arm over my shoulder
Sandals dance at my feet
Eyes that knock you right over
Ooo Marcella's so sweet!!

I remember when I played "Mount Vernon & Fairway" in the dark a few times for my then 5 year old daughter.

"Dad?"
"Yes."
"Who's the voice of the Pied Piper?"
"Brian."
"Brian sounds funny!
"Yeah."
"Who's the other man talking?"
"Jack."
"Is Jack a Beach Boy too?"
"Kinda, but he's helping Brian with the Fairy Tale."
"I like the music in the background."
"Me too!"

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:53:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »

Try to find the Western Justice album, he made with Machiel Botman (in 1974/75). It's quite good.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

I remember when he was a member of the Pet Sounds mailing list back in the mid-90's. He shared quite a few very interesting stories about his time with the Beach Boys. I kept copies of all of them. One of them he called "The Gravedigger", about the time Brian dug a grave in his backyard. Pretty wild stuff.

can you post the stories here for those who didn't get to read them then?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:51 PM »

Sad news.

'Tree' breaks my heart as much as Til I Die, so I thank Jack for the part he played in enriching my life with that recording and of course for the other contributions he made.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »

Sure. I'll look them up tonight when I get home.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

It's not much, but there's some music and bits of interviews here:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/jack-rieley-rip.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:41:20 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »

Try to find the Western Justice album, he made with Machiel Botman (in 1974/75). It's quite good.

I'll go one further and say it's rather brilliant.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 01:45:20 PM »

Perhaps Brian will dedicate Sail on Sailor to his memory. 

Maybe we can hope that Brian, or Mike's Beach Boys, adds Long Promised Road and Feel Flows into the setlist as a tribute also. 

Back in the day when Brian was 'iffy' and the Beach Boys were sailing with little wind and absolutely NO rudder...Jack saved them, gave them direction, made them valid and turned them into one of the greatest live acts in the world.

That he was never reintroduced into the equation was a sad commentary on what has been without wind and rudder for most of these past THIRTY-THIRTY-FIVE years.

A great and important member of our team.  A terrible loss for his loved ones, friends and family.  A devastating loss for the group...WAY back when.

Next to a healthy and creative Brian Jack Rieley was as important as ANY other member of the group.  Just getting rid of those matching white suits was a HUGE bonus...let alone his direction and input regarding the music.

Brian has done the right thing but I'm not so sure that the 'Beach Boys' will salute him.  There was animosity.  A certain individual had been pushed back from the front of the stage much to the improvement of the over-all picture.

Damn!!!  Sad

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »

It's not much, but there's some music and bits of interviews here:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/jack-rieley-rip.html

Yeah, Ed, that was the interview I was alluding to earlier. Good stuff.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »

RIP Jack. Thank you for everything, and particularly for co-writing Funky Pretty, one of my very favorite Beach Boys songs.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »

Jack was brought in to help make the band hip. I think he succeeded. I think he wrote more avant-garde artsy-fartsy lyrics than Van Dyke did.

There's a great interview with Jack somewhere on the Internet, maybe even on this website. Recommended reading. Jack was very candid and comical and really exposing his feelings about a lot of things. Always loved "You Need A Mess Of Help" and "Hold On Dear Brother". Jack's best stuff is on the CT&P album. Anybody here heard his album Western Justice?

I'm going home tonight and play the live '73 version of Marcella and turn it up LOUD in Jack's honor. I love this song. Jack conveyed what Brian was thinking about the masseuse in West Hollywood:

Mystic maiden's more than soft and sexy
She can mess my mind with the stuff that she knows
Her new found beauty goes beyond her covering
And sets a flame in her soul!

Brave new woman standing proud and dazzling
Grips the goal that eluded her soul
Direction bringing her to now's tomorrow
And my love for her still grows!

One arm over my shoulder
Sandals dance at my feet
Eyes that knock you right over
Ooo Marcella's so sweet!!

I remember when I played "Mount Vernon & Fairway" in the dark a few times for my then 5 year old daughter.

"Dad?"
"Yes."
"Who's the voice of the Pied Piper?"
"Brian."
"Brian sounds funny!
"Yeah."
"Who's the other man talking?"
"Jack."
"Is Jack a Beach Boy too?"
"Kinda, but he's helping Brian with the Fairy Tale."
"I like the music in the background."
"Me too!"

Great post, Mikie, providing a sense of the creative energy Jack Rieley brought to the group.  Yes, he definitely succeeded in making the BBs come across as a more hip contemporary band.  I well remember his announcements from the stage during the Dec. 3, '71 Long Beach Arena concert, as well as his vocals, accompanying BW on organ, on A Day in the Life of a Tree.  A truly great time to be a fan.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »

Don't know if the site is still functional, or selling, but try here:

Western Justice

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »

Sorry to hear the sad news. RIP Jack. Love your lyrics.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »

Very sorry to hear this. I've always liked what Jack Rieley did for the band. "Feel Flows" and "Steamboat" are among my all-time favorites.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

You can listen to the Western Justice album on Spotify, by the way.

Saddened to hear of his passing. All things considered he was one of the best things that ever happened to the group. Will spin some Holland in his honor.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

Sorry to hear about Jack's passing...

Recently found (and bought) a vinyl copy of the Western Justice album, have always regarded it Holland's cousin, they go together remarkably well.

I know Roel Kruize, the managing director of EMI/Bovema in those days, was considering a reissue on vinyl a few years ago (from the original multitracks), so for those interested, please do try and contact him via the link posted by Andrew.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »

You can listen to the Western Justice album on Spotify, by the way.

Saddened to hear of his passing. All things considered he was one of the best things that ever happened to the group. Will spin some Holland in his honor.

You can also buy it on iTunes.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »

COMMENT:

Jack's influence was interesting to work with and he was a pleasure to know. Being around him was soothing and calming.  Rest in peace Jack and may you have eternal . . . Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx