gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:10:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
NocNocNoc and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian August 1967 interview  (Read 21502 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »

I'm not seeing discontent with the group in Brian's words. Brian defines what he means by hip/happening and square in the statement in this case and he includes himself as one of the squares and even the source of their then current squareness. The scene is happening but WE are squares and we are squares because I don't write songs about drugs.

To me this quote shows Brian is Brian because he doesn't think like everybody else and he isn't concerned with other people's ideas of hip. He puts them as content with their current work and beyond the current definition of hip/happening due to their past record of bringing something new to the scene.

Surely Brian was the one who was keeping them in matching striped shirts on stage. They all dressed hip privately and Dennis complained about their stagewear but they still kept wearing it. As I remember the shirts weren't the problem, they were still popular with most of the country, the matchy matchy stage uniform was what was passé.

They are working on live material because they want a live album with a particular feel according to Brian. Brian has had outside projects for years already and they all wanted BRI so they could all put out as a group and also do outside projects as individuals, it was the group's plan and something Brian had been doing and I believe Mike (and Bruce) had already done. Because of BRI and the home studio they were freer individually and freer and more unified as a group at the same time in my opinion.

Umm... A year earlier, Brian did write songs about drugs. And he got major blowback from a bandmember, and changed the lyrics to not be about drugs.   But I'm sure you will tell me that reason that change was entirely due to Brian, that you are absolutely certain that he was happy as can be to have made that decision,  and that he wasn't pressured/coerced into making the decision remotely in the slightest. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »

Are we talking about Hang On To Your Ego?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »

Yep.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Yep.

I think it was Mike who said it was about drugs.

Brian has said:

JV: I never quite understood "Hang On To Your Ego" to "I Know There's An Answer."
BW: It was an inappropriate lyric.
JV: How so?
BW: I just thought that to say "Hang on to your ego" was an ego statement in and of itself, which I wasn't going for, so I changed it. I gave it a lot of thought.
JV: So what was the answer you were looking for in "I Know There's An Answer"?
BW: Your self. There is an answer for you.

(Bittersweet Symphony. By Jonathan Valania  MAGNET, Aug/Sep 1999)

RC:  "On the "Pet Sounds'' boxed set and re-releases, fans got to see some behind-the-scenes making of the album, including finished versions of a song called "Hang on to Your Ego'' which was later changed to "I Know There's an Answer.''

BW: "I thought it was too much of a heavy statement to talk about ego. Ego is something I don't discuss with anyone.''

'Pet Sounds' As Symphony, July 09, 2000,  By ROGER CATLIN, Hartford Courant

Has Brian said more about the song?

I've asked this before but didn't get an answer. In a collection of CDs of not-the-boxset PS sessions (which I can't find at the mo, if I ever had them, which I'm not saying I did) I remember a vocal session tape for HOTYE where Al is struggling with his part of the lead and Mike volunteers to sing the whole song. After that in this alleged collection is a session tape for I Know There's An Answer with a lot of overlapping talk at the beginning. I may have dreamed this but I remember being able to hear someone say something like "the title's changed" or something like that and then someone I remember sounding like Brian says something like "I didn't like it" or "I changed it" or both. Did I dream this?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »

Yep.

Brian has said:

JV: I never quite understood "Hang On To Your Ego" to "I Know There's An Answer."
BW: I just thought that to say "Hang on to your ego" was an ego statement in and of itself, which I wasn't going for, so I changed it. I gave it a lot of thought.

(Bittersweet Symphony. By Jonathan Valania  MAGNET, Aug/Sep 1999)

RC:  "On the "Pet Sounds'' boxed set and re-releases, fans got to see some behind-the-scenes making of the album, including finished versions of a song called "Hang on to Your Ego'' which was later changed to "I Know There's an Answer.''

BW: "I thought it was too much of a heavy statement to talk about ego. Ego is something I don't discuss with anyone.''

'Pet Sounds' As Symphony, July 09, 2000,  By ROGER CATLIN, Hartford Courant

I've asked this before but didn't get an answer. In a collection of CDs of not-the-boxset PS sessions (which I can't find at the mo, if I ever had them, which I'm not saying I did) I remember a vocal session tape for HOTYE where Al is struggling with his part of the lead and Mike volunteers to sing the whole song. After that in this alleged collection is a session tape for I Know There's An Answer with a lot of overlapping talk at the beginning. I may have dreamed this but I remember being able to hear someone say something like "the title's changed" or something like that and then someone I remember sounding like Brian says something like "I didn't like it" or "I changed it" or both. Did I dream this?

For the record, I prefer the I Know There's an Answer lyrics to Hang on to Your Ego lyrics myself. But finding quotes of Brian dismissing a song or idea he had as being "inappropriate" is par for the course, well beyond this one example. And I don't think he always means it.

Either way, what we have is Brian making numerous attempts (some more radical than others) to get the band into a more progressive, hip place, getting blowback from his bandmates (and one in particular), and then relenting and dismissing his own previous artistic desires as inappropriate and ill-conceived from the get go. I don't know why you would think it's absolutely, unquestionably impossible to think that this behavior could at least in part be a self-defense mechanism. People sometimes regress into earlier, comfort food type behaviors when the pressure is too great; self-deprecating dismissal of prior desires is an easy way to avoid confrontation or conflict - whether or not you want to admit (which I know you don't) that this could possibly in some way be the case here, you must surely admit that this is an act of human behavior that some people surely do. Or maybe you'll say that nobody, even beyond Brian, ever does this stuff.

Shades of grey, man. Shades of grey.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:54:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »

"We’re not happening-but we’ve been so lucky in the past. It doesn’t hurt now. We get enjoyment in our recordings." Or does it mean them being square for his not writing drug songs doesn't hurt "now" because they had so much luck before and they still get enjoyment from their recordings?

Brian was trying to convince himself that everything was ok, that he could be cool with their stagnant image, etc. But it's pretty obvious he's trying to save face, and trying to create a reality which hurts less than the actual reality of the time. Brian's always been one for escapist behavior. It's not dissimilar to denial, much like the act of posters refusing to think he could possibly have harbored the tiniest ounce of resentment towards his bandmates, especially his cousin. And I'm sure the resentment went both ways, no matter if it wasn't always at surface level. To think this is hogwash is to be an ostrich with one's head in the proverbial sand, IMHO.

Agreed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »

Yep.

Brian has said:

RC:  "On the "Pet Sounds'' boxed set and re-releases, fans got to see some behind-the-scenes making of the album, including finished versions of a song called "Hang on to Your Ego'' which was later changed to "I Know There's an Answer.''

For the record, I prefer the I Know There's an Answer lyrics to Hang on to Your Ego lyrics myself. But finding quotes of Brian dismissing a song or idea he had as being "inappropriate" is par for the course, well beyond this one example. And I don't think he always means it.

Either way, what we have is Brian making numerous attempts (some more radical than others) to get the band into a more progressive, hip place, getting blowback from his bandmates (and one in particular), and then relenting and dismissing his own previous artistic desires as inappropriate and ill-conceived from the get go. I don't know why you would think it's absolutely, unquestionably impossible to think that this behavior could at least in part be a self-defense mechanism. People sometimes regress into earlier, comfort food type behaviors when the pressure is too great; self-deprecating dismissal of prior desires is an easy way to avoid confrontation or conflict - whether or not you want to admit (which I know you don't) that this could possibly in some way be the case here, you must surely admit that this is an act of human behavior that some people surely do. Or maybe you'll say that nobody, even beyond Brian, ever does this stuff.

What is Brian supposed to say if he or a co-author writes something he ultimately finds inappropriate and he and scraps it?

If there were any avoidance, which I'm not saying there is, I would say the avoidance was in letting a co-author create something you find inappropriate and then scrapping their contribution later.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »

Yep.

Brian has said:

What is Brian supposed to say if he or a co-author writes something he ultimately finds inappropriate and he and scraps it?

If there were any avoidance, which I'm not saying there is, I would say the avoidance was in letting a co-author create something you find inappropriate and then scrapping their contribution later.

What is Brian supposed to say or do if a co-author named Mike Love writes something that Brian ultimately finds inappropriate, and Brian possibly feels unable to directly stand up to this person and say so? (Not that Brian ever had a history of any such similar avoiding behavior earlier in his life with his own father, or anything).

Of course, this is a ridiculous and impossible scenario, right? I'm sure it's never, ever happened.

Only co-authors not named Mike Love have ever written material that Brian ultimately finds inappropriate or undesirable for the group, and Brian has consistently never avoided being upfront with any of those co-authors about how he came to those conclusions without any peer pressure whatsoever.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:50:01 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »

CenturyDeprived, don't bother. Remember who you are dealing with. This is the same person who can not find a way to blame Mike Love for anything. He will twist any statement to support his insane theories.

Ladies and gentleman, Cam Mott...

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »

With Cam Mott response....

"You're in love with me! That's what it is!"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »

I'm lost in the hypothetical.

Sachen and/or Brian wrote a lyric that Brian says was "inappropriate" and he had it changed. What are you disputing? Do we have something from those involved saying something to the contrary?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »

With Cam Mott response....

"You're in love with me! That's what it is!"

I'm throwing you a kiss my bashful admirer.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »

I'm lost in the hypothetical.

Sachen and/or Brian wrote a lyric that Brian says was "inappropriate" and he had it changed. What are you disputing? Do we have something from those involved saying something to the contrary?

Disputing anybody's assertion that Brian saying a lyric was "inappropriate" could in no way, shape or form constitute a brush-off to avoid conflict on some level.  As though Brian doesn't say brush-off verbiage in general to avoid conflict.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »

The interview suggests a divide in the group that played out by 20/20 and BW not doing much for the BBs by that time period.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »

The interview suggests a divide in the group that played out by 20/20 and BW not doing much for the BBs by that time period.

I read this interview this way too!
Let´s not forget IJWMFTT documentary where Marilyn Wilson states something like: "The guys just wore Brian down.." , and "If you think you can do better, let´s see it"..
Well we saw it..although there were some bright moments during late 60s nad early 70s...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:59 AM »

He still did lots of writing and production work (as well as lead vocals) on Friends. Same goes for Sunflower if to a somewhat lesser extent.

I love both albums yet in terms of subject matter they could both be classified as pretty square.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 05:52:25 AM »

If Brian was just fine and dandy with being at the helm of a group that he now considered 'square' (rather than the object of his greatest aspirations), why take his name off the producer's credit when we know he still did the producing for Smiley Smile?    

Couldn't it show more solidarity with the group? These interviews show he wasn't distancing himself from the group or the majority of responsibility for the group's creative output and this just as Smiley Smile is finished and about to be released and after the SMiLE period when he "didn't put out anything I don’t respect".

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:20:21 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »

If Brian was just fine and dandy with being at the helm of a group that he now considered 'square' (rather than the object of his greatest aspirations), why take his name off the producer's credit when we know he still did the producing for Smiley Smile?    

Couldn't it show more solidarity with the group? These interviews show he wasn't distancing himself from the group or the majority of responsibility for the group's creative output and this just as Smiley Smile is finished and about to be released and after the SMiLE period when he "didn't put out anything I don’t respect".

I'm gonna say that I don't really disagree with you on this.

However, where does this fit in...?

Let´s not forget IJWMFTT documentary where Marilyn Wilson states something like: "The guys just wore Brian down.." , and "If you think you can do better, let´s see it"..
Well we saw it..although there were some bright moments during late 60s nad early 70s...

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »

IMO Brian seems bored of the Beach Boys.  He wants to express himself in a more efficient way since SMiLE just fell flat.  I think he tolerated 'square' music because of current events going on around him including: illness, band tensions, Vietnam War escalation, etc. 

I think he was tired and needed a mental break. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »

IMO Brian seems bored of the Beach Boys.  He wants to express himself in a more efficient way since SMiLE just fell flat.  I think he tolerated 'square' music because of current events going on around him including: illness, band tensions, Vietnam War escalation, etc. 

I think he was tired and needed a mental break. 

I don't know, he knocked out 3 Beach Boys albums in the year after that interview. I think the prevailing ideas about how Brian was then have just been wrong.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »

I'm familiar but what is the whole quote?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »

I don't know. And I have zero interest in pulling out the DVD that has the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times documentary on it. However, Marilyn basically says that at some point (implied to probably be around the time after SMiLE) Brian basically said "you know what? You guys think you can do better? Well have at it!"

And sure, I know you'll say, "well, he himself never said it, it was just his wife at the time."

And maybe you're right. Maybe you know late '60s Brian then his own (then) wife. Now I'll say, I don't think Brian's giving up the control of the group was all about that whole "let's see if you guys can do better" thing. I think some of it was just being a little burnt out producing so much material, a little watching The Beatles more "democrat" approach working so well, and probably some other factors.

However, the fact that you chose to ignore Nile's post shows that perhaps Marilyn's assertions didn't really fit in with how you think things happened back then.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:10 AM »

Isn't there an interview from the Sunflower era where Brian says he doesn't consider himself much of a leader anymore, with Bruce chiming in and expressing his dissatisfaction with the situation?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 03:34:32 AM »

I don't know. And I have zero interest in pulling out the DVD that has the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times documentary on it. However, Marilyn basically says that at some point (implied to probably be around the time after SMiLE) Brian basically said "you know what? You guys think you can do better? Well have at it!"

And sure, I know you'll say, "well, he himself never said it, it was just his wife at the time."

And maybe you're right. Maybe you know late '60s Brian then his own (then) wife. Now I'll say, I don't think Brian's giving up the control of the group was all about that whole "let's see if you guys can do better" thing. I think some of it was just being a little burnt out producing so much material, a little watching The Beatles more "democrat" approach working so well, and probably some other factors.

However, the fact that you chose to ignore Nile's post shows that perhaps Marilyn's assertions didn't really fit in with how you think things happened back then.

OK............?  Well maybe Nile will post up the whole quote. 

I think Mr. Desper has said (and it is archived on a board somewhere) something like there was no takeover or abandonment, he thought it was more a recognition or necessity that others in the group had skills to be used.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:28 AM »

The most amazing thing for me is the short time span: i.e. how quickly (1 year) they developed a concioisness that they weren't hip anymore. Not too long before they had their last hit, but yet there is this unhip consciousness in mid 1967. Must have been heartbreaking.

It's always been my impression that the Beach Boys were never considered hip by the masses, and the way that they were integrated into the Jefferson Airplane/Doors/Grateful Dead mold in the latter half of the '60s was kind of contrived by an esoteric few who never quite convinced everybody else.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx