gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:58:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would any post BB85 albums have happened if not for Kokomo?  (Read 2359 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:13 AM »

Alternate universe: Kokomo never happens, or it doesn't chart.

Would the band have recorded a new album in the late 80s or 1990s? Were Still Cruisin' or SIP (or any projects like them) ever just going to happen anyway, or is it safe to assume that the band would have just kept endlessly touring, with the odd soundtrack one-off song here and there, but no new BB albums released?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »

I think Still Cruisin wouldn't have happened, maybe SIP wouldn't have either.  S&S V1 would have happened and so would TWGMTR.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »

Well, it's safe to assume that Still Cruisin' happened due to the success of Kokomo, but SIP was their own release through Brother Entertainment (no record company contract) and their own distribution deal. So, SIP happened on it's own, though the song selection weighed heavily on the success of Kokomo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »

Without Kokomo, the Brian Wilson self titled solo release might've gotten more attention. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »

I find myself wondering what would have happened after Keepin' the Summer Alive if Dennis didn't die.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

I think it's highly likely they would have continued making albums at some point, under some sort of circumstance. Even if they hadn't had the resurgence in name recognition with "Kokomo", the name carried enough selling power that somebody at some point would have given them some sort of record deal (assuming they wouldn't have tried it on their own anyway).

They probably wouldn't have secured the deal from Capitol for "Still Cruisin'" at the time they did. I also would imagine perhaps even if they had done an album in the timeframe that SIP came out, it may not have been so heavily weighed down by a bunch of "Kokomo-ish" songs.

But something would have materialized at some point, whether it was something with some actual artistic sensibilities, or a bunch of "Salutes NASCAR" sort of stuff.

I'm not sure there's any evidence that BW'88 suffered in sales or chart action because of "Kokomo." If anything, it could have bumped recognition; essentially a cross-promotion sort of thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »

Wasn't Getcha Back a hit? 

I know it wasn't on the same scale as Kokomo, but I think it still did pretty well. 

And The Beach Boys were still a big concert draw in the late 1980s before Kokomo.  There were some quality songs being recorded around that time, like Somewhere Near Japan, In My Car, Island Girl, Make It Big, etc, so I think they still wouldn't put out new music.

Maybe Still Cruisin would've wound up being a true LP rather than a slip dash cash grab hastily put together to capitalize on Kokomo's success. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »

I guess I'm wondering if a new album was ever even talked about, or floated as an idea, post-BB85, but pre-Kokomo. Is there any evidence that the band even had anything thought out or planned out? We have the post SIP idea of "Masterpiece" that never came to fruition... I'm wondering if there was something like that at an earlier era, and how long a dry spell there would have been without Kokomo making the band more popular again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »

Wasn't Getcha Back a hit?  

I know it wasn't on the same scale as Kokomo, but I think it still did pretty well.  

And The Beach Boys were still a big concert draw in the late 1980s before Kokomo.  There were some quality songs being recorded around that time, like Somewhere Near Japan, In My Car, Island Girl, Make It Big, etc, so I think they still wouldn't put out new music.

Maybe Still Cruisin would've wound up being a true LP rather than a slip dash cash grab hastily put together to capitalize on Kokomo's success.  
The biggest issue at that point was that they did not have a record contract in place. Honestly, even in 1992 I am surprised that they ponied up the bucks to record, manufacture and distribute SIP.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

The question of whether the band (and the “brand”) would have continued is easy. The touring band was nearly a different entity by the early 80’s (some would argue even sooner). The 70’s was the last time they were a “recording artist” that also toured. By the 80’s, they were a touring band who might occasionally do some studio work.

Yes, even into the later 80’s and 90’s they would make brief attempts to work “new” material into the setlist. But nothing from a new album would survive past a year, if that. In 1979, they did a number of “LA (Light Album)” songs on tour, but by 1980 it was pretty much just “Good Timin’.” In 1980, they did some stuff from KTSA on tour, but by the end of the year it was down to just “School Days”, which only survived another year or two. In 1985, they surprisingly briefly tried a good hunk of the ’85 album live (including stuff like “It’s Gettin’ Late”, “Crack at Your Love”, etc.), but only “Getcha Back” survived a couple years. They did a few “Still Cruisin’” things in 89/90, but nothing survived long.

They were already kinda over as a recording act a number of years *before* “Kokomo.” Even with a #1 single, they couldn’t parlay that into even recording a lot of albums, let alone having hit albums. Before and after “Kokomo”, there didn’t seem to be a strong desire on the part of most of the band members to record much. They weren’t breaking away and doing a bunch of indie solo stuff just to amuse themselves. I wish they had. They probably were recording a lot more than they were releasing stuff, but that gets us back to the fact that numerous decades later they still won’t mine the archives and release more of the stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »

They probably were recording a lot more than they were releasing stuff, but that gets us back to the fact that numerous decades later they still won’t mine the archives and release more of the stuff.

Maybe they're going to wait until the 60th Anniversary in 2022, and release yet another 5-6 CD boxset, padded with hits and album tracks to release a different set of achieve material. 

And after shelling out the money for GV and MIC, I'll still probably buy it. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »

Doubtful Ken.  Maybe Al will still be able to belt our a tune and harmonize in 2022.  If he can he'll be harmonizing with folks who aren't Beach Boys.  After all that's re-surfaced since Jack Rieley passed...I hope they just leave well enough alone.  Maybe Brian'll do another album or two.  Maybe Mike and Bruce will squeeze out 2 more seasons of touring to celebrate 55 years...if they can last that long with THEIR voices.  Maybe Mark L. and Alan B. can justify one more project of unreleased and different versioned tunes for a 55 year celebratory release.  I am always glad to hear MORE stuff...and as much as I slam Smiley Smile, Love You and Summer in Paradise I'm still glad to have them and to HEAR them.  It's the Beach Boys after all...and NO ONE sings like they DID.

I honestly don't know how they still manage to do it as well as they do...whichever 'camp' you choose.  But 'they' say that the voice is the last 'thing' to go.  Still.  60 years?!?!?  I'd be happy if they were just all still alive and with us just so that we might be able to thank them on a message board like this one if they decided to pop by and say hello.

We could have a cheese pizza and apple pie party with the Beach Boys.  With each one of us playing our favourite BB's soundtrack in the background while munching on suitable munchies and remembering how great it was to be able to hear it ALL from when it started to get really GREAT in 1963 right up to and hopefully beyond now. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »

Doubtful Ken.  Maybe Al will still be able to belt our a tune and harmonize in 2022.  If he can he'll be harmonizing with folks who aren't Beach Boys.  After all that's re-surfaced since Jack Rieley passed...I hope they just leave well enough alone.  Maybe Brian'll do another album or two.  Maybe Mike and Bruce will squeeze out 2 more seasons of touring to celebrate 55 years...if they can last that long with THEIR voices.  Maybe Mark L. and Alan B. can justify one more project of unreleased and different versioned tunes for a 55 year celebratory release.  I am always glad to hear MORE stuff...and as much as I slam Smiley Smile, Love You and Summer in Paradise I'm still glad to have them and to HEAR them.  It's the Beach Boys after all...and NO ONE sings like they DID.

I honestly don't know how they still manage to do it as well as they do...whichever 'camp' you choose.  But 'they' say that the voice is the last 'thing' to go.  Still.  60 years?!?!?  I'd be happy if they were just all still alive and with us just so that we might be able to thank them on a message board like this one if they decided to pop by and say hello.

We could have a cheese pizza and apple pie party with the Beach Boys.  With each one of us playing our favourite BB's soundtrack in the background while munching on suitable munchies and remembering how great it was to be able to hear it ALL from when it started to get really GREAT in 1963 right up to and hopefully beyond now. Cool Guy

What has re-surfaced?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »

Alternate universe: Kokomo never happens, or it doesn't chart.

Impossible. Regardless of the timeline, all roads lead to kokomo.

Kokomo was inevitable.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »

Many artists severlely cut back their output of albums in the 80's and beyond.    I wish the BBs had saved up their good songs for one or two really good lps  during that period.      but their material was scattered as were the band members.  Had they been focused and given a concerted effort all together.........the Carl,Brian, Mike, solos mixed with the talents of Al, folded into BB 85,  the good stuff from still Crusin, Still a Mystery, Soul Searching,  finishing up Ca Feelin, and assorted other promising rough cuts, could have yielded four really good albums.      that could have been a good run compared to other major acts.     Much like CSN and sometimes Y could have soared so much higher by pulling together and apart.   
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:42 PM »

I think there was great hope that the BB85 album would be a big seller, re-establish them as a recording group. if it had been a top ten platinum album, then I'm sure they would have tried to follow it up with another all-new album, instead of Still Cruisin'. When the sales of BB85 were less than hoped for, they were content to just put out a couple singles a year, and not work too hard on the studio side of things.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »

I think there was great hope that the BB85 album would be a big seller, re-establish them as a recording group. if it had been a top ten platinum album, then I'm sure they would have tried to follow it up with another all-new album, instead of Still Cruisin'. When the sales of BB85 were less than hoped for, they were content to just put out a couple singles a year, and not work too hard on the studio side of things.

I also wonder what went into the decision of the band entitling their 1985 album "The Beach Boys". I mean, that's a pretty bold statement to make, 24 years into a career, isn't it?

When The Beatles called their 1968 album "The Beatles", it seemed to really mean something, or at least that's how I see it. It said something like "this is who we are", as that album expressed many far reaching corners of styles, and seemed to encapsulate everything The Beatles could ever be, past, present, and future. When The BBs did it in 1985 (on an album featuring an actual Beatle, no less!), the album was pretty undeniably meh overall, despite some highlights. Wazzup with that?

My guess is that the album's title may have something to do with Dennis' passing, as if to state that the band is still here, united and moving forward, despite the tragic loss. As if to say: We're not going away, wounded as we may be. We're still here, sticking around and sticking together. That's how I read it. On the other hand, maybe it was just a meaningless marketing ploy, sans any deep thoughts or intended messages. Any thoughts by others on this?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:22:03 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 05:22:38 AM »

I'm all for the band continuing to release unreleased material, but don't make us pay for the greatest hits we already have yet again. 

But as for touring, I agree with you that it's not going to be long before both camps are off the road.  I've said it before on here and the BW forum that I think the Summer of 2015 could be the great summer when we can see Brian, Al, Blondie, Mike, and Bruce on the road at the same time. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »

I also wonder what went into the decision of the band entitling their 1985 album "The Beach Boys". I mean, that's a pretty bold statement to make, 24 years into a career, isn't it?

When The Beatles called their 1968 album "The Beatles", it seemed to really mean something, or at least that's how I see it. It said something like "this is who we are", as that album expressed many far reaching corners of styles, and seemed to encapsulate everything The Beatles could ever be, past, present, and future. When The BBs did it in 1985 (on an album featuring an actual Beatle, no less!), the album was pretty undeniably meh overall, despite some highlights. Wazzup with that?

My guess is that the album's title may have something to do with Dennis' passing, as if to state that the band is still here, united and moving forward, despite the tragic loss. As if to say: We're not going away, wounded as we may be. We're still here, sticking around and sticking together. That's how I read it. On the other hand, maybe it was just a meaningless marketing ploy, sans any deep thoughts or intended messages. Any thoughts by others on this?
I don't think there was any great thought put into the title of the 1985 album. Of the songs on the album, only California Calling sounds like a potential album title.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx