gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:16:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'How Brian Wilson helped spawn punk'  (Read 4521 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »

http://www.stereogum.com/1793955/how-brian-wilson-helped-spawn-punk/franchises/essay/

The son of a late friend did the Guardian interview.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »

Hey Ang. Cool Guy

I've heard this notion for quite some time that Brian [and the Boys]  influenced quite a number of Punkers musically speaking...and of course Dennis Wilson and Brian's BIG FAN, the late Keith Moon, seem to have as well to a different degree.  It does seem to be totally true that they all must have  influenced certain behavioral and topical aspects of the 'movement'. 
 I guess I wish that the Brian 'they' were influenced by had had MORE of an influence...and Denny and Moonie perhaps a little less.  The 'movement' always struck me as being too much influenced by the bowels. Wink

Meanwhile...God Save the Queen.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:24 AM »

"Punk rock? I don't know what that is."  ~Brian Wilson, 2015
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »

I remember when Danny Hutton invited Brian to see a late-70's/early 80's punk band he was managing.  We got there and Brian's comment when he was introduced to the band was, "Is it going to be really loud?"  One of the musicians said, "We're going to try to crack the fooking foundation!"  Clearly, this was not an answer that pleased Brian.  We left after the set with Brian saying, "I have a headache," a friend said, "I have an ear ache," and I said, "I have a stomach ache."

Brian knows as much what punk is as anyone else, given how hard it is to define a specific musical genre and when it supposedly evolves into something else.  Does he love it?  I suspect not in a fair number of cases.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

I remember when Danny Hutton invited Brian to see a late-70's/early 80's punk band he was managing.  We got there and Brian's comment when he was introduced to the band was, "Is it going to be really loud?"  One of the musicians said, "We're going to try to crack the fooking foundation!"  Clearly, this was not an answer that pleased Brian.  We left after the set with Brian saying, "I have a headache," a friend said, "I have an ear ache," and I said, "I have a stomach ache."

Brian knows as much what punk is as anyone else, given how hard it is to define a specific musical genre and when it supposedly evolves into something else.  Does he love it?  I suspect not in a fair number of cases.
That was a great story, thank's Debbie!

But it's really interesting how you can spot these little musical elements in punk that can be traced straight to early Beach Boys music. It's kinda cool actually.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

Funny thing is that I started listening to The Beach Boys because it sounded like the opposite of punk rock to me. For years my life was all about punk rock and hardcore. I played in three hardcore bands at the same time which meant that I had to rehearse or play shows five or six nights a week, and even in my spare time I was constantly listening to punk rock and hardcore. Around 2004 I REALLY needed something that sounded radically different, and Sunflower turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. It was soft, smooth, sunny, friendly, polished, sophisticated, rich, warm, positive, deep, layered... Pretty much everything that punk rock wasn't.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »

The Ramones were definitely influenced by Brian.  If you listen to some of their more subdued cuts like "I Want You Around" and "Danny Says" you could totally hear the Beach Boys influence.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »

I am not a fan of punk but if you listen to those very early Beach Boys' records, the speed of some of the songs - Little Honda, for example - might have had an influence on punk rock.

There's a picture of Brian with Johnny Rotten with which I should imagine most of us are familiar. I always thought 'from the sublime to the ridiculous' as Brian was on the left but I read somewhere recently a nice comment JR had made about Brian so revised my opinion of him!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »

The Surfin' Safari is a 60s garage punk record in the best sense of the term

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »

That was a great story, thank's Debbie!

But it's really interesting how you can spot these little musical elements in punk that can be traced straight to early Beach Boys music. It's kinda cool actually.

It is cool that those traces can be spotted, for sure.  Brian's sensitive ears just don't work well in a small club with people trying to "crack the fooking foundation." The sad part is that there's no way to describe Brian's face when the guy said that - priceless.  As far as punk, I can see why he didn't want to get into it in that recent interview, so he tossed it back to the interviewer - not that he'd ever do that ;-)  The guy is funny.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »

kookadams, get in here!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »

kookadams, get in here!

Exactly - this thread is made for Josh.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »

When the Ramones started punk rock was not an existing label yet. Their whole existence was based on reverting back to rockNroll when it was fresh and exciting, and about the single first, album second. ALL of their best cuts derived from the Beach Boys golden era. Fact is to this day very few 'punk rock' groups are worth a damn, the Ramones are timeless, the Dickies, Descendents, Queers...definitive bands if the last 20,30+ yrs.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:03 AM »

Sorry to lower the tone but I keep reading the thread title as:

'How Brian Wilson helped pawn spunk'

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »

LOL LOL LOL  I keep reading it that way too. But I didn't want to lower the tone by mentioning it.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »

LOL LOL LOL  I keep reading it that way too. But I didn't want to lower the tone by mentioning it.  Grin

Glad to be of service!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »

The Ramones were definitely influenced by Brian.  If you listen to some of their more subdued cuts like "I Want You Around" and "Danny Says" you could totally hear the Beach Boys influence.
Rockaway beach,Sheena is a punk rocker, Oh oh I love her so, Shes the one, RockNroll high school, RockNroll radio, 7eleven, Sound like youre sick, In the park, Touring...not to mention their remakes of Do you wanna dance, surf city and Surfin Safari!!!!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »

Rockaway beach,Sheena is a punk rocker, Oh oh I love her so, Shes the one, RockNroll high school, RockNroll radio, 7eleven, Sound like youre sick, In the park, Touring...not to mention their remakes of Do you wanna dance, surf city and Surfin Safari!!!!

http://ramones.kauhajoki.fi/members/edstasium.html

Above link concerns a '63 Strat that Ramones engineer/producer Ed Stasium owned until he sold it via eBay a few years ago. It was used on all the Ramones records with which Stasium was involved, starting with the Sheena 45. In fact, Johnny Ramone used it for that record, according to Ed, specifically because he wanted to get a sound similar to Little Honda.   Yo La Tengo's versions of LH and (live) Sheena also illustrate the similarities between the songs.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »

Gawd--every time I see the title of this thread, I read it as "How Brian Wilson helped pawn spunk."

Thank goodness it's about music and not selling one's DNA.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »

Gawd--every time I see the title of this thread, I read it as "How Brian Wilson helped pawn spunk."

Thank goodness it's about music and not selling one's DNA.

And for GAWD's sake...PLEASE...NO videos. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx