gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:46:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NPP charts at #16 in U.S.  (Read 10609 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »

Hell yeah! Roughly 20,000 people have great taste.Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »

Couldn't happen to a nicer musical genius .
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »

Very gratifying--so much so that I suggest we all break into song (using a melody that isn't at all similar to "Kokomo" but that will nonetheless be familiar to most of you):

"Who's the man that we admire? BRIAN WILSON is a real live wire!"  3D
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »

That being said ...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6320099/billboard-200-makeover-streams-digital-tracks

And HDD has a sales plus streaming chart, where NPP comes in at #27.

So we shall see.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »

That being said ...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6320099/billboard-200-makeover-streams-digital-tracks

And HDD has a sales plus streaming chart, where NPP comes in at #27.

So we shall see.

On the bright side, that means that of the people who listen to Brian Wilson's new album, a higher number than average bought as opposed to just streamed it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »

Will it go top 10, or is this the peak, do you think?
Many highly anticipated titles peak in their first week these days. I predict #54 next week.
That actually seems to be the rule for veteran acts these days - high in the charts the first week, then a quick drop off.
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »

A bit more perspective, just for kicks.

If No Pier Pressure were a Beach Boys album, it would be their third-highest charting non-compilation album since Pet Sounds in 1966, behind only TWGMTR (#3) and 15 Big Ones (#8).

I misread that as "just for kids." It spent a while trying to figure out why that fact was especially for the kids until I realized I'm apparently not great with, you know, reading words.

Good news on the chart position.

Now, how many of those 16k purchases are by board members? I'm in for two so far and I'm sure some of you have that beat...  Grin

3 Target deluxes, 2 "regular" deluxes, 2 standard versions, 1 LP and 1 iTunes. And I've got the DVD bundle coming (which comes with the CD). And after I get paid Friday, I'll be buying a few to give away as gifts.

My wallet is pretty ticked at me. Ah well. It'll live.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 01:57:07 AM »

3 Target deluxes, 2 "regular" deluxes, 2 standard versions, 1 LP and 1 iTunes. And I've got the DVD bundle coming (which comes with the CD). And after I get paid Friday, I'll be buying a few to give away as gifts.

I bought perhaps 10 copies of BWPS when it came out...kept 2 and gave the rest away that Xmas.  This time i made the drive to Walmart and got the 18 song version on Wednesday the 8th.  The pre-ordered  16 song version arrived by special delivery on Friday the 10th...even though the paper-work SAYS Amazon sent it on Monday the 6th...and I gave that one away to folks who invited me over for dinner Friday night.  WAY better than a bottle of wine.  Whether I buy more as gifts remains to be seen.

Hopefully there'll be a shot at a HIT single.  Maybe 2?  If that happens...No Pier Pressure will sell some more significant units...and as someone mentioned...Love and Mercy [the movie, not the bonus song] should move some more.  [not that the bonus song didn't make it easy to decide which cd to give away...plus the 16 song version from Amazon still had its cellophane wrapping on it. Wink]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

[and why is cellophane spelled with 2 'l's?  So is cello Huh]

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:01:56 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 02:57:07 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering if this would get a boost with the film, plus maybe if they release 'Saturday Night' as a single, have Nate Ruess (he's big over there, right?) doing a couple of tv spots with Brian.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 07:14:25 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering if this would get a boost with the film, plus maybe if they release 'Saturday Night' as a single, have Nate Ruess (he's big over there, right?) doing a couple of tv spots with Brian.

They should do the same with Kasey. Some folks don't like GYHTBT and thats fine. However, that song has radio play all over it. Shoot a decent video..could even weave in vintage shots of Brian in the 60's and then Brian today DOING something fun or cool...not sitting in a studio with phones on.  She would PAIR WELL with Brian in a video. She is photogenic.

It's a missed opportunity if this song is not pushed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »

NPP rose from #25 to #19 this week in the UK.  THAT's a VERY good sign isn't it? Cool Guy

[way to go Brian]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »

Nate Reuss is pretty big right now.  

He has a big solo single, and he sang on massive hits with his group fun and Pink.  

I agree if Saturday Night were released as a single, it would help shift some copies.  
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

Shoot a decent video..could even weave in vintage shots of Brian in the 60's and then Brian today DOING something fun or cool...not sitting in a studio with phones on.  

I think the most fun and cool thing you can show BW doing IS sitting in a studio with phones on. That's just me, though.
Anyway, nice to see the album move up the chart. Maybe it will have some legs with the movie coming out.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:01:29 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »

2 Target deluxes, 1 lp, in addition to the RangeRover version (downloaded advance leak).

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »

Have Capitol marketing and A&R put a dedicated and forceful push behind the song "Guess You Had To Be There", targeting obviously modern country radio formats, AC formats, and do it up with the usual appearances and promotions and a video featuring Kacey...you have a hit song that could drive the album as well. That song has crossover potential written all over it, the cherry is waiting to be picked and waiting to be put on top of the most delicious sundae ever scooped, if they play it right.

Kacey's fans alone will drive it higher than many might think, IMO. It's fit for several demographics, and is a helluva catchy song.

I'll cash in my chips if I could say "trust me" on this one. It has the potential and delivers the goods.

Just my opinion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »

Have Capitol marketing and A&R put a dedicated and forceful push behind the song "Guess You Had To Be There", targeting obviously modern country radio formats, AC formats, and do it up with the usual appearances and promotions and a video featuring Kacey...you have a hit song that could drive the album as well. That song has crossover potential written all over it, the cherry is waiting to be picked and waiting to be put on top of the most delicious sundae ever scooped, if they play it right.

Kacey's fans alone will drive it higher than many might think, IMO. It's fit for several demographics, and is a helluva catchy song.

I'll cash in my chips if I could say "trust me" on this one. It has the potential and delivers the goods.

Just my opinion.

That's an excellent opinion. I think "Saturday Night" has a lot of potential in the marketplace too, although I have no idea whether Nate Ruess is more or less popular than Kacey Musgraves.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »

I would love to see *at least one* of the guest-spot songs break out with a crossover audience just like that. Seems like there's tons of potential there.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »

Just my opinion.

That's an excellent opinion. I think "Saturday Night" has a lot of potential in the marketplace too, although I have no idea whether Nate Ruess is more or less popular than Kacey Musgraves.

That's an interesting question. I think Kacey is a stronger presence as a solo artist within her modern country genre, and she has a big and loyal following among younger women. She has a specific genre and demographic. Nate, of course, is with fun. and has also had something of a crossover hit as a solo artist or guest artist with "Just Give Me A Reason" that he dueted with Pink, yet that is also a specific demographic for a song like that versus the music he makes with 'fun.' and what he did with Brian. I don't know if the audience who knows best the Pink song featuring Nate would be as primed to go for Saturday Night, but I could be wrong.

I think the market, the demographic, the genre/format stuff is all there for the taking with the kind of market and fanbase Kacey brings to the song. Plus, it still sounds to me like the best potential for a crossover out of anything else on the album.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »

Hi all,

That is fanrtastic news!!!   Thank you for posting this!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »

Some of the “guest” tracks seem tailor-made for extra crossover appeal, as they are less “duets” and closer to full-on Musgraves or Ruess solo tracks penned and produced by Brian. Yes, he pops in on vocals as well. But I’ve been surprised how open they’ve been to marketing the tracks Brian isn’t heavily featured on. I’m still surprised the first track they pushed is essentially an Al Jardine solo track written by Brian.

Compositionally, I think “Saturday Night” is one of the catchier, easily accessible songs. Add to that the crossover audience, and I too am pretty surprised they haven’t pushed it more as a “single” so far.

Still waiting for someone to leak the Matt Jardine guide vocal version of the song!

Apologies if this was already discussed in one of the NPP threads, but I could swear I hear Al on the backing vocals on the song, at least on the portion of the backing vocals that come in in the middle of the guitar solo. I suppose it could be Brian or Matt sounding like Al.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »

NPP rose from #25 to #19 this week in the UK.  THAT's a VERY good sign isn't it? Cool Guy

[way to go Brian]

Would be a good sign if it were true. You're a bit premature. The charts come out on Sunday.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »

They should do the same with Kasey… She is photogenic.

How polite!

But you're right… it's a no-brainer as far as choice for a single.

I’m still surprised the first track they pushed is essentially an Al Jardine solo track written by Brian…

I'm not. Of all the tracks on this CD, this most resembles the song TWGMTR… it sounds like a (2012) Beach Boys' track. Here in the UK it's commonly been referred to on radio as by Brian, Al and Dave - with the DJs only just managing to retrain themselves from using the phrase "Beach Boys".

This is already pushed as the BBs album that coulda been - this treatment of The Right Time emphasises that.

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »

You're all welcome. (I had a long, very boring post. I've decided to summarize instead.)

I think it might make sense to hold off on the possible crossover hit singles--"Saturday Night" and "Guess You Had to Be There," I'd say, as Zooey hasn't really had chart success--as a way to extend the sales lifespan. If Week One is the natural peak, why not hold off a bit and try for a second (and third) wind as the natural Beach Boy season approaches? I think the Musgraves track in particular has a really good chance, as it's simple, memorable, in line with what her fans could expect to hear on their radio, and teams with a real, established (country, with some pop crossover already) star.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »

All I can say is if they were to release Runaway Dancer on adult contemporary, it would be a hit. My wife is a pure current pop fan-she always has been-and her current listening habits are Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Meghan Trainor, Maroon 5, etc, and she's been playing that song on my CD like 5-6 times a day. I have no idea what can and can't be a pop hit but she always does.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »

Yes and yes! Sounds like stuff my wife has on her iPod and she knows what a big deal Brian and the BBs are but tends to buy songs not albums these days. After a week of listening to NPP these 3 or 4 guest star tracks still stand out in a way I never would have thought possible. Country, Dance club, Bossa Nova....? As it turns out YEAH. This album is FUN, and like Carl said about Brian or Brian said about Carl ..and why they succeeded in such a big way....that "the music celebrated the joy of life".

I'm totally getting that from most of NPP. I'd also bet if anyone is standing in line at a coffee shop and hears GYHTBT or Saturday Night come over the sound system they are gonna feel good and are likely to ask someone beside them "who is this?"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx