-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Campaign 2016
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 81   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Campaign 2016  (Read 523028 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 06, 2016, 11:56:46 AM »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:00:46 PM by Bubs » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 06, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »

I know that logic is tough for some people to handle.  

What he said was the poverty is easier to avoid for white people.  I have a lot of family members and friends who're white who have not been able to avoid poverty, despite their best efforts.  That is factual.  They're white.  They're poor.  They've tried, but can't avoid it.  

Yes, that is what an average indicates. There are items to the left of the average, and there are items to the right of the average. Most are piled up in the middle. The family and friends you mention would be the left.

But, as I just pointed out to Emily, the fact that there are white people who do struggle completely debunks the myth of "white privilege."  

Mathematically speaking, it adds support to theory. You can't have an average without a lower end.

So, you're trying to say that "white privilege" is a real thing?  

Numbers are pretty reliable things.
Isn't that right, alter-ego Mr. Research Guy?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:02:08 PM by Bubs » Logged
Mr. Research Guy

Graphs 'n' sh*t

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 06, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »

What he said was the poverty is easier to avoid for white people.  I have a lot of family members and friends who're white who have not been able to avoid poverty, despite their best efforts.  That is factual.  They're white.  They're poor.  They've tried, but can't avoid it.  

Yes, that is what an average indicates. There are items to the left of the average, and there are items to the right of the average. Most are piled up in the middle. The family and friends you mention would be the left.

But, as I just pointed out to Emily, the fact that there are white people who do struggle completely debunks the myth of "white privilege."  

Mathematically speaking, it adds support to theory. You can't have an average without a lower end.

Right, Bubs.

Doing the research so you don't have to!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 06, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »

Sanders comments notwithstanding, white privilege does not mean that all white people have it easier than anyone else. What it means is that given the socio-economic structure, the system works to the advantage of white people more than anyone else. However, beyond this, the system also works to the advantage of the wealthy and men while we're at it. So in that sense there are going to be plenty of white people who struggle as much as anyone else when they don't fall into other privileged categories.
KDS
« Reply #1004 on: May 06, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »

Well, there's no sense in arguing any further.  You're going to believe what you want to believe.  

I only believe in truth that I know far too many people who've not known this so called "white privilege."  

Taking my conservative feet out of this Sandbox.  

Have a good weekend.  
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »

Wow. I'm going to assume that wasn't in the tone it reads like it was in.

No malice towards you Emily.  I just hate the phrase.  

Why?

Because the idea of white privilege is thrown around by clueless extreme liberals like Bernie Sanders and so-called civil rights leaders, and it implies that, because one is white, they haven't had to struggle in life.  Complete bullsh$t.  Sanders himself even said "it's impossible for a white person to be poor."  I have a lot of family members who'll disagree with that.  

First, I'm not sure what an "extreme liberal" is. We've discussed this elsewhere, but I would be curious what the extreme version of a right-of-centre position is supposed to be. But I suppose that when one considers that Sanders is a moderate in a reactionary far-right society, the term "extreme liberal" might make sense since a moderate right-of-centre position is as far left as you are allowed to go in a country where the left has been actively marginalized, silenced, and excluded from political power.

I do agree though that white people can be poor and I do think that class privilege is a better thing to focus on than race privilege. That said, while there aren't any races that are excluded from poverty, there are races that can more easily avoid poverty thanks to historical circumstances and the way that the country is economically structured to maintain the inequalities that came out of these historical circumstances.

For some people, regardless of race, poverty can never be "easily avoided."  

I didn't say otherwise. But on average, it's more easily avoided for one race over others.

I'd love to hear some of my family members' reactions to this.  I guarantee you that they wouldn't be as civil as I'm being right now.  
I'm sorry they wouldn't be civil. I have family members in poverty too. And a few of them wouldn't be civil either. But the fact is that they have fewer barriers than non-white people. Their situation sucks. And in the case of my cousin's family - in which he has a chiari malformation and his wife has just been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and they have four children under the age of 18; or my other cousin who left her drug-addicted, in-and-out-of-jail, thieving, abusive husband and is trying to support herself and her three kids on her own; or my mom as a kid whose parents were immigrants, illiterate, and dug up bugs and worms to sell as bait and killed the kids pets for food to make it through the depression; or my dad, whose mom was an abusive schizophrenic addict and whose dad just gave up trying to deal with life in his forties - it's not, unless you're a real a**hole, of their own making. So, some white individuals have almost unspeakable disasters in their lives. But it doesn't negate the reality that, as white people, they and their children had a better chance at getting out of their economic situations, and at finding support for their situations, than people of color in the same situation would have had. It might be hard when you have troubles to empathize, but again, the reality is that people of color have less opportunity.

Emily,

Weren't you the one who criticized me for generalizing or labeling groups of people?  

You're doing the same thing here by saying, in general, white people are less likely to struggle.  

My point is, as long as there are individual white people who suffer in poverty, there can be no such thing as "white privilege."
I'm not saying white people are less likely to struggle, though certainly by some parameters that would be true. What I'm saying is that there are specific barriers to people of color that white people don't face. White people, as I demonstrated with my own family, can face loads of struggle. But there are some clear advantages to whiteness. When I get stopped by the police, they are really friendly, let me go with a warning, they chit chat, it's all very nice. I don't have to worry about whether a flinch on my part will cause an outbreak of violence. When I interview for a job, I don't have to worry about my accent or if I appear too 'ethnic' or if my name sounds too 'ethnic.' When I go to a bank for a loan, I don't have to put on white-face. I'm advantaged. That's all there is to it. And my mom was advantaged. Though her home was impoverished and her parents didn't speak English, she could go to college and look like all the white kids and be treated like all the white kids. She could go to job interviews and was considered white. Her disadvantaged background was invisible to the outside world. She had serious poverty, but she didn't have ON TOP of that, racial discrimination.

About generalizing: What is true about generalization is that some people generalize. And it's true that there are cultural and economic effects to their generalizing. Recognizing that and trying to eliminate and counter it is just reality. Their generalizations may not be true, but the effects of their generalizations are real.
So, for example, where I used to work some of the jobs had heavy physical requirements - lifting, water safety, etc. When I arrived, they only interviewed men for those jobs, based on the generalization that men are stronger than women. But, of course, some women are stronger than some men. So, they opened the pool to women. They now have more men than women in those jobs, but some women. Because some women are qualified. So 'men are stronger' is not actually true. 'People think men are stronger' might be true.
In this case, the generalization was not true, but it had an actual effect that needed to be addressed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:13:31 PM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1006 on: May 06, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »

Sorry Emily,

You and I have have two completely different world views. 

I'm not going to argue this point any further. 

I'm more than happy to discuss music with you on the main board. 

Have a good weekend. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »

Sorry Emily,

Have a good weekend. 
You have a good weekend, too, KDS.
KDS
« Reply #1008 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

Sorry Emily,

Have a good weekend. 
You have a good weekend, too, KDS.

Thank you
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 06, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »

Wow. I'm going to assume that wasn't in the tone it reads like it was in.

No malice towards you Emily.  I just hate the phrase. 

Why?

Because the idea of white privilege is thrown around by clueless extreme liberals like Bernie Sanders and so-called civil rights leaders, and it implies that, because one is white, they haven't had to struggle in life.  Complete bullsh$t.  Sanders himself even said "it's impossible for a white person to be poor."  I have a lot of family members who'll disagree with that. 

First, I'm not sure what an "extreme liberal" is. We've discussed this elsewhere, but I would be curious what the extreme version of a right-of-centre position is supposed to be. But I suppose that when one considers that Sanders is a moderate in a reactionary far-right society, the term "extreme liberal" might make sense since a moderate right-of-centre position is as far left as you are allowed to go in a country where the left has been actively marginalized, silenced, and excluded from political power.

I do agree though that white people can be poor and I do think that class privilege is a better thing to focus on than race privilege. That said, while there aren't any races that are excluded from poverty, there are races that can more easily avoid poverty thanks to historical circumstances and the way that the country is economically structured to maintain the inequalities that came out of these historical circumstances.

For some people, regardless of race, poverty can never be "easily avoided." 

I didn't say otherwise. But on average, it's more easily avoided for one race over others.

I'd love to hear some of my family members' reactions to this.  I guarantee you that they wouldn't be as civil as I'm being right now.   
I'm sorry they wouldn't be civil. I have family members in poverty too. And a few of them wouldn't be civil either. But the fact is that they have fewer barriers than non-white people. Their situation sucks. And in the case of my cousin's family - in which he has a chiari malformation and his wife has just been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and they have four children under the age of 18; or my other cousin who left her drug-addicted, in-and-out-of-jail, thieving, abusive husband and is trying to support herself and her three kids on her own; or my mom as a kid whose parents were immigrants, illiterate, and dug up bugs and worms to sell as bait and killed the kids pets for food to make it through the depression; or my dad, whose mom was an abusive schizophrenic addict and whose dad just gave up trying to deal with life in his forties - it's not, unless you're a real a**hole, of their own making. So, some white individuals have almost unspeakable disasters in their lives. But it doesn't negate the reality that, as white people, they and their children had a better chance at getting out of their economic situations, and at finding support for their situations, than people of color in the same situation would have had. It might be hard when you have troubles to empathize, but again, the reality is that people of color have less opportunity.

Emily,

Weren't you the one who criticized me for generalizing or labeling groups of people? 

You're doing the same thing here by saying, in general, white people are less likely to struggle. 

My point is, as long as there are individual white people who suffer in poverty, there can be no such thing as "white privilege."
I'm not saying white people are less likely to struggle, though certainly by some parameters that would be true. What I'm saying is that there are specific barriers to people of color that white people don't face. White people, as I demonstrated with my own family, can face loads of struggle. But there are some clear advantages to whiteness. When I get stopped by the police, they are really friendly, let me go with a warning, they chit chat, it's all very nice. I don't have to worry about whether a flinch on my part will cause an outbreak of violence. When I interview for a job, I don't have to worry about my accent or if I appear too 'ethnic' or if my name sounds too 'ethnic.' When I go to a bank for a loan, I don't have to put on white-face. I'm advantaged. That's all there is to it. And my mom was advantaged. Though her home was impoverished and her parents didn't speak English, she could go to college and look like all the white kids and be treated like all the white kids. She could go to job interviews and was considered white. Her disadvantaged background was invisible to the outside world. She had serious poverty, but she didn't have ON TOP of that, racial discrimination.

About generalizing: What is true about generalization is that some people generalize. And it's true that there are cultural and economic effects to their generalizing. Recognizing that and trying to eliminate and counter it is just reality. Their generalizations may not be true, but the effects of their generalizations are real.
So, for example, where I used to work some of the jobs had heavy physical requirements - lifting, water safety, etc. When I arrived, they only interviewed men for those jobs, based on the generalization that men are stronger than women. But, of course, some women are stronger than some men. So, they opened the pool to women. They now have more men than women in those jobs, but some women. Because some women are qualified. So 'men are stronger' is not actually true. 'People think men are stronger' might be true.
In this case, the generalization was not true, but it had an actual effect that needed to be addressed.

Where do red heads fit in to this discussion? We are a minority too!! Ha ha

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 06, 2016, 07:07:44 PM »

No rights for gingers!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 06, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »

Right, Bubs.
Did you have this in your back pocket for a year just waiting for the right opportunity?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »

I'm white.  I don't see it as white privilege... I agree with some of the premises of what's discussed but calling it the privilege of being born white is wrong in my opinion.  I was born homeless, for instance, there was no privilege built into my skin color, and my family and myself made my life get better from then on out. 

I think a lot of times and for a lot of reasons, minorities feel as if they're at a disadvantage and that kind of negative thinking drags them down in every aspect of their life.  Racism is real, it exists... there is no denying that.  The truth is every individual faces challenges that they have to overcome, some of them, many of them are't fair.  It wasn't fair I was born homeless.  It wasn't fair my mother was disowned by her family because she got pregnant.  I've excelled at life anyways. 

Some people hate black people because they're black... and that's something that individual has to overcome... regardless of how unfair it is.  Even if nobody was racist every individual has an entire lifetime of challenges to overcome, if you walk around believing that you have it harder because of your skin color you're losing from the beginning, inside your own mind. 

You can't go through life saying you have a disadvantage because of your skin color, and then ignore all the advantages you have because of your skin color.  Even worse is to accuse people with ANOTHER skin color of having a privilege because of it.  We all have the privilege of waking up this morning, make the most of it regardless of your situation, and don't bitch about what others have that you don't.  Not because it's unfair to them, but because it poisons your own mind. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 07, 2016, 11:55:41 PM »

Taco bowls. What a moron.

There's a couple of things going on with Trump that I don't think everybody gets.

1. Probably 80% of what he says is Trump trying to get you pissed off so you'll talk about him more.

2. He's a genius, not a moron.  He appears to be a moron because he actually has no ego.  People think he's an egomaniac, but would an egomaniac say things that get them ridiculed so much in the public?  He says the things he says because he doesn't care what anybody thinks of him, he only cares if he gets what he wants.  If you have to call him a moron so that he can win the election, so be it... to him he'd rather win than be loved. 

He's been a master of this for decades and still people don't get it.  They've made fun of his hair for 40 years... and he never changed it... because he uses even NEGATIVE attention to get what he wants.  He's the most brilliant politician the world has seen in decades and in my opinion he'll win the election in a landslide in November.

The longer you believe he's a moron, the longer you won't understand anything that happens. 

1. How'd a moron end up with 10 billion dolllars?

2. How'd a moron get divorced twice, but both women still talk positively of him?

3. How'd a moron raise what appears to be a well adjusted intelligent bunch of kids?

4. How'd a moron win more votes than any candidate in the history of the republican party?

5. How'd a moron break every rule in the book, and STILL win?

6. How'd a moron get in a fight with the pope and win?

7. How'd a moron call Ted Cruz a "p*ssy" on live t.v. AND HIS POLL NUMBERS WENT UP

You may disagree with everything he says... but if you're sitting around thinking he's a moron you're missing the REAL show here. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 08, 2016, 12:37:25 AM »

In other words, maybe I'm being reactionary but I'm really really scared of Trump.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be very afraid of Trump.  He'll be to the left of George Bush and everybody survived that.  I'm sure you've heard it a million times but Trump treats all of this like a business negotiation, he stakes out an extreme position that he can negotiate half of away later to get what he wants.  What appears to be inconsistencies in his positions is his signal to those he'll be working with (if elected) that he's willing to negotiate. 

For instance, the wall.  That's probably his most extreme position.  He's going to build a wall, and deport everybody.  We currently have a country that A. has a wall that hasn't fully been built, and B. has laws requiring people to be deported.  So what his real position on that is, is saying that he'll follow the law that's currently on the books.

That's not how he presents it, though.  He says he'll build a huge wall, everybody's got to go, blah blah blah.  It gets him a tremendous amount of support... but again he's only really saying that he'll leave the law as it is now.  It appears to be an extreme position... so surely he'll negotiate some of it away which will be good optics... but realistically will leave us in a position farther to the LEFT than we are, legally, right now!

He's a genius, he's basically heading left but running as if he's far right.  He's completely usurped the republican party by doing that and has them willfully moving to the left.

Look how far to the left he is on foreign policy (military intervention).  He's essentially running to the LEFT of Hillary!  How will Hillary moderate in regard to that?  She won't move further right, she'll be able to move further left to mimick some of the Donald's positions in the G.E. 

He's able to run so openly liberal on foreign policy because everybody (including the republicans) is in agreement that the Iraq war was all B.S.  By accusing Hillary of supporting it, and proclaiming he was against it, he pulls Hillary to the left on that issue. 

This is the craziest political campaign ever.  I know he says crazy things but try to look at what he's really going to do.  I know you have to take him at his word, especially when he claims up and down everything he says he's going to do, but he's a MASTER manipulator who's got a game in everything he says. 

That's why I feel he'll win in a Landslide.  Hillary is all about the policies, and of course that's how it ought to be.  That's not how it is, though... most people couldn't care less about how practical policies are, look how Trump destroyed a traditional, powerhouse candidate like Jeb Bush in the primaries.  He will do similar to Hillary in the fall. 

Of course you'll vote for Hillary, because you care about policy details.  The vast majority of the country though is smarter than both of us, they ignore politics and just show up every few years to vote for whoever has the nicest smile and the catchiest slogan. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 08, 2016, 01:35:03 AM »

I'm white.  I don't see it as white privilege... I agree with some of the premises of what's discussed but calling it the privilege of being born white is wrong in my opinion.  I was born homeless, for instance, there was no privilege built into my skin color, and my family and myself made my life get better from then on out. 
I'm sorry you were born homeless. But yes, you still were given privileges due to your skin color.
I think a lot of times and for a lot of reasons, minorities feel as if they're at a disadvantage,

They don't just feel they are; they are. It's been proven over and over and the denial on the part of some white people is self-serving.
Some people hate black people because they're black... and that's something that individual has to overcome... regardless of how unfair it is.  Even if nobody was racist every individual has an entire lifetime of challenges to overcome, if you walk around believing that you have it harder because of your skin color you're losing from the beginning, inside your own mind. 

It bothers me that people with advantages keep judging the people with disadvantages on how they react to their disadvantages. Maybe leave the people with disadvantages to figure out how to react to that and the rest of us can try to live up to our rhetoric about equality of opportunity.
Even worse is to accuse people with ANOTHER skin color of having a privilege because of it. 
It's not just an accusation; it's demonstrable, statistical, actual fact.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 08, 2016, 01:37:48 AM »

Taco bowls. What a moron.

There's a couple of things going on with Trump that I don't think everybody gets.

1. Probably 80% of what he says is Trump trying to get you pissed off so you'll talk about him more.

2. He's a genius, not a moron.  He appears to be a moron because he actually has no ego.  People think he's an egomaniac, but would an egomaniac say things that get them ridiculed so much in the public?  He says the things he says because he doesn't care what anybody thinks of him, he only cares if he gets what he wants.  If you have to call him a moron so that he can win the election, so be it... to him he'd rather win than be loved. 

He's been a master of this for decades and still people don't get it.  They've made fun of his hair for 40 years... and he never changed it... because he uses even NEGATIVE attention to get what he wants.  He's the most brilliant politician the world has seen in decades and in my opinion he'll win the election in a landslide in November.

The longer you believe he's a moron, the longer you won't understand anything that happens. 

1. How'd a moron end up with 10 billion dolllars?

2. How'd a moron get divorced twice, but both women still talk positively of him?

3. How'd a moron raise what appears to be a well adjusted intelligent bunch of kids?

4. How'd a moron win more votes than any candidate in the history of the republican party?

5. How'd a moron break every rule in the book, and STILL win?

6. How'd a moron get in a fight with the pope and win?

7. How'd a moron call Ted Cruz a "p*ssy" on live t.v. AND HIS POLL NUMBERS WENT UP

You may disagree with everything he says... but if you're sitting around thinking he's a moron you're missing the REAL show here. 
He's a moron. And I've been seeing his stupid show since I was a kid, and as long as it stayed in TV Land, it was mildly amusing.
Lots of morons are financially and popularly successful. People have always rewarded fools for entertaining them.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 08, 2016, 01:40:20 AM »

In other words, maybe I'm being reactionary but I'm really really scared of Trump.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be very afraid of Trump.  He'll be to the left of George Bush and everybody survived that.  I'm sure you've heard it a million times but Trump treats all of this like a business negotiation, he stakes out an extreme position that he can negotiate half of away later to get what he wants.  What appears to be inconsistencies in his positions is his signal to those he'll be working with (if elected) that he's willing to negotiate. 

For instance, the wall.  That's probably his most extreme position.  He's going to build a wall, and deport everybody.  We currently have a country that A. has a wall that hasn't fully been built, and B. has laws requiring people to be deported.  So what his real position on that is, is saying that he'll follow the law that's currently on the books.

That's not how he presents it, though.  He says he'll build a huge wall, everybody's got to go, blah blah blah.  It gets him a tremendous amount of support... but again he's only really saying that he'll leave the law as it is now.  It appears to be an extreme position... so surely he'll negotiate some of it away which will be good optics... but realistically will leave us in a position farther to the LEFT than we are, legally, right now!

He's a genius, he's basically heading left but running as if he's far right.  He's completely usurped the republican party by doing that and has them willfully moving to the left.

Look how far to the left he is on foreign policy (military intervention).  He's essentially running to the LEFT of Hillary!  How will Hillary moderate in regard to that?  She won't move further right, she'll be able to move further left to mimick some of the Donald's positions in the G.E. 

He's able to run so openly liberal on foreign policy because everybody (including the republicans) is in agreement that the Iraq war was all B.S.  By accusing Hillary of supporting it, and proclaiming he was against it, he pulls Hillary to the left on that issue. 

This is the craziest political campaign ever.  I know he says crazy things but try to look at what he's really going to do.  I know you have to take him at his word, especially when he claims up and down everything he says he's going to do, but he's a MASTER manipulator who's got a game in everything he says. 

That's why I feel he'll win in a Landslide.  Hillary is all about the policies, and of course that's how it ought to be.  That's not how it is, though... most people couldn't care less about how practical policies are, look how Trump destroyed a traditional, powerhouse candidate like Jeb Bush in the primaries.  He will do similar to Hillary in the fall. 

Of course you'll vote for Hillary, because you care about policy details.  The vast majority of the country though is smarter than both of us, they ignore politics and just show up every few years to vote for whoever has the nicest smile and the catchiest slogan. 
You ignore the dangerous effect he's having on others. The permission people feel he gives them to express their bigotry and to express it violently. He's no different from Mussolini, really. It doesn't matter whether he means it or not. He's a dangerous person playing with dangerous things that he's too irresponsible to be messing with.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:42 AM »

http://fortune.com/donald-trump-white-supremacist-genocide/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 08, 2016, 06:00:02 AM »

Jesus.......

Hell no to trump!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 10, 2016, 02:19:51 AM »

No rights for gingers!

Ahh shucks! 🦁

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 10, 2016, 02:31:32 AM »

I just want to touch on weather or not there is a privilege of being white. First off, I have no idea what it's like to be a minority in the United States. I have seen police brutality against blacks as well as whites. Usually it is because the person was not being cooperative. However, there are bad cops out there as well that for whatever reason are completely unreasonable and dimeaning to people. I know of 2 white friends who were treated rudely by cops while they were being cooperative. Of course neither ended up beaten or dead. I also have a black friend who is a house painter and was working in a wealthy neighborhood. Someone called the cops on him! I have to tell you that I have been cleaning pools in wealthy neighborhoods for years and when I was younger, I looked like a hippie degenerate! This was around 15 years ago, so not like many guys looked that way. But I never had cops called on me! It's a lot better than it was in the 60s but the problem still exists apparently!

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 10, 2016, 06:25:35 AM »

"White privilege" is like "rape culture" - a ridiculous idea that exists only in the minds of safe space-dwelling liberals.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 10, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »

"White privilege" is like "rape culture" - a ridiculous idea that exists only in the minds of safe space-dwelling liberals.
And people who have been the victims of discrimination by the smug White people who don't know they're playing life on the easy level.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:14:43 AM by Emily » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »

How does one determine whether they've been discriminated against in today's special snowflake society?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 81   Go Up
Print
Jump to: