-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Campaign 2016
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 81   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Campaign 2016  (Read 526174 times)
KDS
« Reply #950 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:52 AM »

A few points:
regarding bigotry - I've seen no politician ever mention the problem of undocumented European, particularly Irish, immigrants. It seems to just be Mexicans that people are so bothered by.
regarding race relations - I agree with CSM. The problem is the structural inequality, not attempts to address it.
regarding drugs - middle class and wealthy white people do lots of drugs and are rarely tested or prosecuted. It's just poor people who are considered criminals when they do drugs.

Oh great, more oppression towards the Irish.  Historically, the most abused ethnic group in the history of the Unites States. 
ummm...
So it's not bigotry when directed to Mexicans but is "oppression" when directed towards the Irish?
And... African Americans?

I need to invent a sarcasm font.  
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »

Baltimore is a city that has many areas in ruins.  30-40 years of liberal leadership.  

Quick correction - Baltimore has faced many years of right-wing tough-on-crime Democratic leadership, following decades where the majority of displaced citizens were black which followed decades of unconstitutional segregationist policies. And let's not forget that Baltimore black Americans were targets of the subprime lending boom.

Instead of hand outs, how about programs to help break the cycle of poverty, and encourage beneficiaries to find work?

The problem is that the system itself is inherently unequal. Simply working doesn't break the cycle of poverty because the system as it exists right now is a system of exploitative wage slavery. So the question becomes, how do we overcome this inherent systemic inequality in which one is forced to rent out their labour to an owner in order to survive?

At the end of the day, also, some of the burden has to fall on the people to have the will to want to improve their social stature.  

It's hard to speak in general terms, but I would imagine that most of them do.

The fact is that social stature, in an extreme capitalist culture, is by and large not created by individualism but by government programs and government protectionism. It just so happens that the government largely protects and helps create the wealth for the elite portions of society. That, by the way, we are not supposed to care about, which is why we are not talking about it here but are instead discussing the merits of government handouts for the poor - the smallest recipients of handouts in our modern society. Those handouts do nothing for the extremely wealthy so we are supposed to hate it. But the fact that the extremely wealthy are largely in their place because of the government is meant to be a non-issue. Much the same can be said for the middle class who almost never acknowledge that their social position was constructed as a consequence of New Deal policies and has been slowly chipped away with the disintegration of these policies.
hear, hear!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »

A few points:
regarding bigotry - I've seen no politician ever mention the problem of undocumented European, particularly Irish, immigrants. It seems to just be Mexicans that people are so bothered by.
regarding race relations - I agree with CSM. The problem is the structural inequality, not attempts to address it.
regarding drugs - middle class and wealthy white people do lots of drugs and are rarely tested or prosecuted. It's just poor people who are considered criminals when they do drugs.

Oh great, more oppression towards the Irish.  Historically, the most abused ethnic group in the history of the Unites States. 
ummm...
So it's not bigotry when directed to Mexicans but is "oppression" when directed towards the Irish?
And... African Americans?

I need to invent a sarcasm font.  
ah. gotcha.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 05, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »

And John Kasich's also called it quits..... This just leaves three major candidates..... Bernie, a crook and a maniac
Not a huge Hillary fan but a crook? I must have missed the trial.

Never seen such an organized campaign to sully a politician's reputation. Bengahzi,  fabricated. The email server, stupid maybe but a common practice for cabinet members. A crook? As the saaying goes, repeat a lie enough times, people start believing it. Faux News is proof of that!
Agreed. I was too tired today to get into another round about all the unsupported Clinton smears. 

Speaking of actual, real crooks, these guys became so officially today. And they are working to elect Trump:

Trump super PAC strategist found guilty of 2012 campaign-finance violations - The Washington Post https://apple.news/A_HmfHc9OMXeZUQLS32qviA

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 05, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

Taco bowls. What a moron.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 05, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

"I love Hispanics!" he said while shoveling cheese and beef into his face hole.

come on guys
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 05, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »

Even Trump's "Mexican" food has its own wall. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 06, 2016, 03:59:14 AM »

Good eyes!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #958 on: May 06, 2016, 05:20:49 AM »

I saw that post as I follow Trump on Facebook. 

Exactly, what about the post is moronic?  Is it racist too? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 06, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

Happy Fourth of July! The Trump whatever grille has the best croissants! I love white people!
KDS
« Reply #960 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »

Happy Fourth of July! The Trump whatever grille has the best croissants! I love white people!

Nope.  Not offensive. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 06, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »

Nope.  Not offensive. 
Not offensive maybe but super stupid.
KDS
« Reply #962 on: May 06, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »

Nope.  Not offensive. 
Not offensive maybe but super stupid.

Eh........
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 06, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »

How about this:
Happy Kwanzaa! The Trump Tower Grille has the best watermelon! I love black people!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »

You don't get that you have to be kind of dumb to imply
A: you think 'Mexican' and 'Hispanic' are the same thing.
B: taco bowls are 'hispanic' or Mexican
C: you 'love' a whole broad population of people 99.9999999 % of whom you've never met?
D: this is going to play well?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 06, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »

So many things, so little time. Let's start with Cinco de Mayo: it's a celebration of Mexico's victory over the French, and also serves as a time to commemorate Mexican culture. Mexican. Believe it or not, there are plenty of Hispanic countries that are not Mexico. Now, let's see, why does he love Hispanics? For their food, apparently. How often do you think Hispanics eat taco bowls? Let's see... um, never. It's an Americanized form of their food. So, on this celebration of Mexico, Trump says he loves all of Latin America for some food non-Hispanic Americans came up with. It's like celebrating Chinese New Year with some Pick Up Stix and saying you love Asians.

Not to mention the fact that on every other day, he can't wait to deport these people by the hundreds.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »

So many things, so little time. Let's start with Cinco de Mayo: it's a celebration of Mexico's victory over the French, and also serves as a time to commemorate Mexican culture. Mexican. Believe it or not, there are plenty of Hispanic countries that are not Mexico. Now, let's see, why does he love Hispanics? For their food, apparently. How often do you think Hispanics eat taco bowls? Let's see... um, never. It's an Americanized form of their food. So, on this celebration of Mexico, Trump says he loves all of Latin America for some food non-Hispanic Americans came up with. It's like celebrating Chinese New Year with some Pick Up Stix and saying you love Asians.

Not to mention the fact that on every other day, he can't wait to deport these people by the hundreds.

Great response.
KDS
« Reply #967 on: May 06, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

C: you 'love' a whole broad population of people 99.9999999 % of whom you've never met?

I don't think it'll play well because this world has gotten way way way overly sensitive. 

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 06, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »

I don't think it'll play well because this world has gotten way way way overly sensitive. 

The more historical documents I read, the more it becomes apparent that people have been saying for quite a long time that the world is too sensitive when it comes to roughly the same subjects. You can find many objections throughout history to callous attempts to score political points based on ignorant and wildly incorrect conceptions about other people. I don't think that's historically specific.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 06, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »

Would you have the same response if it was about Irish-Americans?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 06, 2016, 10:47:48 AM »

It's also pretty objectionable when a person who's got all the advantages of inequity keeps complaining about the complaints of those who are disadvantaged by it.
KDS
« Reply #971 on: May 06, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »

Would you have the same response if it was about Irish-Americans?

Absolutely. 
KDS
« Reply #972 on: May 06, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

It's also pretty objectionable when a person who's got all the advantages of inequity keeps complaining about the complaints of those who are disadvantaged by it.

Don't even start what that so called "white privilege" crap. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 06, 2016, 10:54:56 AM »

Wow. I'm going to assume that wasn't in the tone it reads like it was in.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 06, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »

Sensitivity is not an adequate excuse for ignorance.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 81   Go Up
Print
Jump to: