-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Campaign 2016
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 81   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Campaign 2016  (Read 523147 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 17, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »

I know you've said some things about gender roles before that probably are outside the mainstream, but using the below definitions, are male feminists really just "women with penises?"

Feminist: a person who supports feminism
Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

I'm not talking about any accompanying baggage associated with the term, but just the definition: a man who supports women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

(Also if you're just making a joke, whoops.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »

I was being facetious.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 17, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »

The real satirist  Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 17, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

Thomas was blackballed for being a black conservative, plain and simple. Nothing sends white gated-community liberals into a furor more than a black man who doesn't subscribe to their crap, y'dig.

Yeah, that was it.  Had nothing at all to do with Anita Hill.  Roll Eyes

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 17, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »

Thomas was blackballed for being a black conservative, plain and simple. Nothing sends white gated-community liberals into a furor more than a black man who doesn't subscribe to their crap, y'dig.
As do yours, my proclivities shade my perspective: my memory is clearer of Anita Hill being pilloried for being a 'Delilah'. Those hearings were part of the formation of my feminism.
Let's not forget that men can be feminists, too!  Wink
  Huh My reply to TRBB made no implication whatsoever about men and feminism.  Huh
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 17, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »

I was being facetious.

Glad I covered for my stupidity up front.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 22, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »

My daughter's selfie with Hillary Clinton:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:30:26 PM by Emily » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 22, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »

My daughter's selfie with Hillary Clinton:

Emily - She is very cute.  Wink
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 22, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »

Smiley Yes she is. She's a sweetheart (except when we argue, at which times she's a demon).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #534 on: February 22, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »

Would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed with Bernie's loss in Nevada, and I'm genuinely worried about how he'll do on Super Tuesday. If worse comes to worst and Bernie drops out, guess I'll have to support Hillary....
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 22, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »

Would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed with Bernie's loss in Nevada, and I'm genuinely worried about how he'll do on Super Tuesday. If worse comes to worst and Bernie drops out, guess I'll have to support Hillary....
Bernie's economic policies are closer to my preferences, but in the end if one party has the house and the House, they pass the party agenda more than the President's. If the branches are split, they pass almost nothing so... <<sigh>> I feel it doesn't really matter who the President is so much. I must confess, the woman aspect appeals to me a bit. I think it would be good for girls growing up that there is/has been a woman President.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »

You still live in Australia, correct?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »

Smiley Yes she is. She's a sweetheart (except when we argue, at which times she's a demon).

They say the "apple never falls far from the tree."

She has a skill.  Girls need that.  Wink
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 22, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »

LOL You can imagine the dread friends have facing dinner with my family.
indeed they do.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51:09 PM »

I must confess, the woman aspect appeals to me a bit. I think it would be good for girls growing up that there is/has been a woman President.

I agree with you in that it would be inspirational to many, not to mention a good thing in getting that monkey off our nation's back. But I also believe that the best candidate should win, which I don't think Sec. Clinton is. (If/when she wins the nod, I'll have a terrible decision on my hands between a third party candidate with no chance at winning or her, because there's not a Republican I could consider voting for.) The question soon becomes, if not her, who will be the first? Gov. Haley certainly has her backers. Sen. Klobuchar is wildly popular here. Sen. Warren is a legitimate candidate. Who else might be seen to be on deck?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »

LOL You can imagine the dread friends have facing dinner with my family.  (Mine as well!)  Third generation in my family.  LOL
indeed they do.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 22, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »

I must confess, the woman aspect appeals to me a bit. I think it would be good for girls growing up that there is/has been a woman President.

I agree with you in that it would be inspirational to many, not to mention a good thing in getting that monkey off our nation's back. But I also believe that the best candidate should win, which I don't think Sec. Clinton is. (If/when she wins the nod, I'll have a terrible decision on my hands between a third party candidate with no chance at winning or her, because there's not a Republican I could consider voting for.) The question soon becomes, if not her, who will be the first? Gov. Haley certainly has her backers. Sen. Klobuchar is wildly popular here. Sen. Warren is a legitimate candidate. Who else might be seen to be on deck?
There are a bunch who are as qualified and 'respected' as many male candidates: Condoleeza Rice, Susanna Martinez, Kathleen Sebelius, Meg Whitman, Claire McCaskill, Jeanne Shaheen, many more. I mean, if you look at the men who run, they only need a term as governor or senator or a (very) successful business and they're considered adequate to be in the running. Unfortunately women have to be a bit more impressive to even be considered. For selfish reasons (my daughter's nine and I'd like the concept to set in before she realizes how odd it is) I'd rather now than later, but I agree Hillary Clinton is not ideal. Though I still prefer her to, say, Trump.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:03:05 PM by Emily » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #542 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »

Correct, though I still have a keen interest in international politics, particularly the U.S. and the U.K.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:49 PM »

Correct, though I still have a keen interest in international politics, particularly the U.S. and the U.K.

I find it interesting you said you have to support someone in the US presidential race.
There's no reason to support someone you don't believe in if you're not voting to tip the scales.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #544 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:44 AM »

I find it interesting you said you have to support someone in the US presidential race.
There's no reason to support someone you don't believe in if you're not voting to tip the scales.

I suppose not, though I should add that whoever is elected President of the United States would have an impact on international affairs, given the country's status as a global power. So the U.S. Presidential election is one that concerns people over here as well, as virtually everyone I know has their favourite candidate (which interestingly enough seems to be Bernie for everyone I've come across). But I suppose you do have a point, and what I said certainly could have been worded better.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:49:55 AM by Come And See Her..... » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 23, 2016, 05:17:27 AM »

There are a bunch who are as qualified and 'respected' as many male candidates: Condoleeza Rice, Susanna Martinez, Kathleen Sebelius, Meg Whitman, Claire McCaskill, Jeanne Shaheen, many more. I mean, if you look at the men who run, they only need a term as governor or senator or a (very) successful business and they're considered adequate to be in the running. Unfortunately women have to be a bit more impressive to even be considered. For selfish reasons (my daughter's nine and I'd like the concept to set in before she realizes how odd it is) I'd rather now than later, but I agree Hillary Clinton is not ideal. Though I still prefer her to, say, Trump.
You are correct that the climb for a woman is longer and more aggressive. 

Perhaps one reason that a party can shoot a one-term senator/governor upward, is that the shorter amount of time in the senate, the less time to become embroiled in controversies that cannot be simply managed and remedied by their media people. Warren is one of those, as well.  Unfortunately, I read that Claire McCaskill has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is probably off the grid for now.  Interesting election season. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 23, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »

There is no doubt that the trend seems to be to favor people with a shorter track record, especially as a legislator, so that one has few-to-no votes to be thrown back up in negative ads later (usually out of context, as obviously most votes are not the single-issue choices as presented by negative ads, but rather just parts of bigger bills). It's a sad world when we see so many first-term senators, for example, from the president through to Sen. Cruz and Sen. Rubio. Personally, I would rather see someone with substantial experience even if it means there are the dreaded "skeletons in the closet." Whatever. (Don't get me started on the "s/he's a successful businessman" model. Or neurosurgeon.)

But I think you're exactly right, Emily, that this trend toward less experienced candidates doesn't seem to extend to women. A female Sen. Rubio would be laughed off the stage, in my opinion. A pretty face being handed a career every step of the way paying it back by reciting her lines? Nobody would take her seriously.

Granted, I think the answer would be to take more seriously our male candidates rather than start tossing up less qualified women. (Not that I think anyone was proposing that.)

You have named some realistic choices, there, too. While I wasn't pretending to give an exhaustive list--I was just tossing out some that came to mind--I'm surprised at myself for omitting Rice in particular. She could be a really strong candidate for that party.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 24, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »

Regarding Rice, the Republicans are putting out these whackadoodle candidates that only die-hard righties or extreme anti-everythingists can support. They still have some sensible moderate party members that could have a very good chance at catching all of the middle and some conservative Democrats. A lot of these (used to be called 'Rockefeller Republicans', not meaning rich but meaning fiscally conservative but socially at least middle) are still lurking around, but the party zeitgeist ignores them.
The Democrats have an interesting primary in that they've put forward a centrist and a (for American popular politics) leftist.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:57:49 AM by Emily » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 24, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »

No question it's been an interesting (if sad) purge the past few decades. Every few cycles, the "true conservatives" of the past are derided as RINOs and replaced by even fiercer zealots. If there were more parties truly relevant, I'd care less, but with just two, it's sad. The narrative of the far left/far right divide--a false dichotomy anyway--persists even as the Clinton-and-after Dems have rushed rightward.

Maybe getting trounced with Trump will wake up conservatives, but since he's demonstrably not conservative, I doubt it. They'll keep up the same lunacy: "we just haven't been conservative enough; let's move right!"

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:33 PM »

Yikes. I'm watching a bit of the Republican debate. Apparently this "religious freedom" issue, a euphemism for the right to discriminate against gays, is an accepted mainstream thing among Republicans. Gross.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 81   Go Up
Print
Jump to: