-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Campaign 2016
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 81   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Campaign 2016  (Read 523079 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »

I can't say I'm shocked. They're looking for good ol' boys and they're gonna get 'em. I smell a Cruz v. Hillary in 2016. Gods help us.
Good ol' boys is right.  They won't want either Bernie or Trump. 

If Bernie was smart, he would have Ben and Jerry handing out ice cream samples at the polls. They are rock stars in their own right.  LOL

It beats all those trees that are cut down for that propaganda they shove in your face at the polls. 
Yeah. It's way better to kill cows than trees.
Wow.

Dairy is a great American business.  And it would be a great campaign strategy.

And, if that comparison is to be made. 

Better cows (Ben and Jerry's) than babies (Planned Parenthood.)

Nursing mothers don't die as a result of feeding their young.   Wink

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 02, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »

I can't say I'm shocked. They're looking for good ol' boys and they're gonna get 'em. I smell a Cruz v. Hillary in 2016. Gods help us.

If Bernie was smart, he would have Ben and Jerry handing out ice cream samples at the polls. They are rock stars in their own right.  LOL

It beats all those trees that are cut down for that propaganda they shove in your face at the polls. 
Wow.

Like a lot of 'great' American businesses it's unhealthy for the consumers and the planet.
In order to have a nursing mother, including a cow producing milk, you have to have a baby. What do you think happens to all those calves? Dairy farmers don't double their cattle populations annually and nobody wants that many bulls.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »

Wow.

Like a lot of 'great' American businesses it's unhealthy for the consumers and the planet.
In order to have a nursing mother, including a cow producing milk, you have to have a baby. What do you think happens to all those calves? Dairy farmers don't double their cattle populations annually and nobody wants that many bulls.
Emily - I do not buy into this global warming theory. Nor do I believe in cap and trade. The science was manipulated by the EPA.  I would use science in quotes because it was not subject to vigorous debate but was only subject to few very controlled public hearings leading up to Paris under an accelerated schedule to manage the opposition and prefer one energy industry over another.   What I support is wind and solar energy to remove dependency on foreign oil. 

You would not agree with my position. 

The agribusiness can control means and methods for animal development to use as a food source.  And they should. 

And, I meant human nursing mothers.  If there is an area to start, for correction in my opinion, it is the infant formula business, that shoved free packs of formula at mothers, with which the hospitals cooperated, providing expensive and less healthy means of nourishment for infants and children, in much the same way the tobacco industry used candy cigarettes and real ones put into children's hands to foster an unhealthy lifestyle.    JMHO

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:38 AM »

Emily - I do not buy into this global warming theory. Nor do I believe in cap and trade. The science was manipulated by the EPA.  I would use science in quotes because it was not subject to vigorous debate but was only subject to few very controlled public hearings leading up to Paris under an accelerated schedule to manage the opposition and prefer one energy industry over another.   What I support is wind and solar energy to remove dependency on foreign oil. 

The agribusiness can control means and methods for animal development to use as a food source.  And they should. 

And, I meant human nursing mothers.  If there is an area to start, for correction in my opinion, it is the infant formula business, that shoved free packs of formula at mothers, with which the hospitals cooperated, providing expensive and less healthy means of nourishment for infants and children, in much the same way the tobacco industry used candy cigarettes and real ones put into children's hands to foster an unhealthy lifestyle.    JMHO

I'm not sure what the antecedent for 'it' is in this sentence, so I can't really respond:
"I would use science in quotes because it was not subject to vigorous debate..."

Regarding formula marketing, I wholly agree with you!   w00t!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2016, 09:02:55 AM »

I'm not sure what the antecedent for 'it' is in this sentence, so I can't really respond:
"I would use science in quotes because it was not subject to vigorous debate..."

And big tobacco?  Huh?

My thoughts would start be to start, with infant nutrition,  and education, and really get on top of agribusiness. (That would take a week of discussion, just for HFCS - high fructose corn syrup)

It is hard to fight a million battles and win them all. I like targeting a few that can be accomplished well and not glossed over, to be PC.  (not an insult, by the way)  LOL

KDS
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »

Wow.

Just last week, we were shoveling and plowing two and a half week of global warming. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »

And big tobacco?  Huh?

My thoughts would start be to start, with infant nutrition,  and education, and really get on top of agribusiness. (That would take a week of discussion, just for HFCS - high fructose corn syrup)

It is hard to fight a million battles and win them all. I like targeting a few that can be accomplished well and not glossed over, to be PC.  (not an insult, by the way)  LOL

The wonder is that I suspect I agree with you on everything you mentioned in this post! It's a Groundhog Day miracle!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »

This is really sad
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 03, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »

Not to sound like a Bush supporter, which I'm not by a long shot (though if you'd told me a year ago I'd dislike half a dozen candidates more than I disliked him, I'd have bee shocked), but I don't think it's as bad as it's being painted. People are saying he was "begging" the crowd to clap, that it was pathetic. I think it just wasn't clear he was done. I'd bet he meant it almost as a little joke. Like, "Yeah, I'm done. Clap." Not like a "love me, love me, please clap or I'll be sad."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »

Rand Paul and Rick Santorum are both history as well.... Shame about the former, thought he was the most decent Republican by far.....
KDS
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2016, 05:22:40 AM »

If John Kasich can make this happen, he's got my vote:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-kasich-pink-floyd/

(Before anyone flips out, I say this purely in jest.  I would not vote for anybody for a four year term based solely of the slim chance of a four song set by my favorite band). 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »

(Before anyone flips out, I say this purely in jest.  I would not vote for anybody for a four year term based solely of the slim chance of a four song set by my favorite band). 

You stupid dirty so-and-so, how dare you!? 😉

(And before anyone ELSE flips out, I'd never go crazy on someone just for liking such a mediocre band enough to vote for one of the less offensive Republican candidates. KDS can keep his Floyd, I'll keep my ear worms and Queen's Hot Space, and we're all good!)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »

(And before anyone ELSE flips out, I'd never go crazy on someone just for liking such a mediocre band enough to vote for one of the less offensive Republican candidates. KDS can keep his Floyd, I'll keep my ear worms and Queen's Hot Space, and we're all good!)

Ha Ha.  If you take Hot Space, I'll take the rest of Queen's catalog.  Smiley 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 04, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »

Let the record show that I did NOT agree to that!

KDS
« Reply #464 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »

Let the record show that I did NOT agree to that!

I don't blame you, it's not a fair trade at all.  Maybe if I included the Flash Gordon album.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 04, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »

I think I was the only person who had seen that movie in my theater when it was parodied in "Ted" LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »

Rand Paul and Rick Santorum are both history as well.... Shame about the former, thought he was the most decent Republican by far.....

Regarding Sen. Paul, I hope his exit from the race leads to him returning to his pre-campaign (or pre-pre-campaign?) shift toward the GOP mainstream. I couldn't see myself ever voting for him or someone who agrees with him on most things, but I think the country can use more viewpoints on issues than The Big Two, and Sen. Paul, like his dad, is good for that. He shows how conservatism isn't necessarily a single thing. Any- and everything that helps break up the monolith (dualith?) of American politics is valuable.

The senate needs more Sanderses and more Pauls (and plenty of other diverse voices).

Regarding Santorum...the best I can say is he seemed to presage this cycle's Republican vibe: newfound populist rhetoric coupled with the hawkish talk and obligatory religiosity. He was hitched to that wagon last time around, when populism wasn't yet so prominent in the mix. But he has been overshadowed by his, uh, louder colleagues.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »

I fail to see what about Rand Paul's positions is extreme despite the constant blabbing of leftists on the subject.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »

I don't mean to say he began or became extreme. Just that he was different than the mainstream party, especially before his run. His foreign policy positions, for example. Or his NSA / surveillance position. Being an early champion of reform of prison sentencing, for another. On things like that, he differed from his party, which is refreshing. I like when people can explain some coherent set of ideas and ideals (ideally without calling names), and the more of those discussed, the better the outcome. At least that's kind of the idea of democracy...

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »

I fail to see what about Rand Paul's positions is extreme despite the constant blabbing of leftists on the subject.

Actually I think he became a major sellout. I really was into a lot of what he stood for. And then as it became time for him to gear up to run for president, all of a sudden he became buddies with the heinous Mitch McConnell and started insinuating that he wasn't so anti-war as he seemed, and started doing things like speeches on aircraft carriers where he touted how tough he would be.

A major disappointment, all in all. Hopefully, if and when he runs again he will be truer to himself. Instead of dumbing his sh*t down to the level that most of the douchebag Republicans like.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »

A friend of mine who is also a supporter of Rand called it "playing politics" to become popular with the mainstream GOP. I don't see the mainstream GOP coming around to those kinds of positions even if it means votes. Of course, I always considered Rand a much worse version of his father. I'll give Rand credit for trying to appeal more openly to women and minorities; no other GOP politician has tried to do that. But the same reason a guy like Rand would never get the nomination is why Trump and Sanders would receive similar treatment. Both major parties want "good old boys" as their nominees. Admittedly that's one thing I respect about Sanders despite disagreeing heavily with his economic policies. He's not a "good old boy" and that rustles the DWSocrats so bad. He's unelectable as long as Debbie Wasserman Schultz controls the Democratic strings.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 05, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »

A friend of mine who is also a supporter of Rand called it "playing politics" to become popular with the mainstream GOP. I don't see the mainstream GOP coming around to those kinds of positions even if it means votes. Of course, I always considered Rand a much worse version of his father. I'll give Rand credit for trying to appeal more openly to women and minorities; no other GOP politician has tried to do that. But the same reason a guy like Rand would never get the nomination is why Donald "Some, I assume, are good people" Trump and Sanders would receive similar treatment. Both major parties want "good old boys" as their nominees. Admittedly that's one thing I respect about Sanders despite disagreeing heavily with his economic policies. He's not a "good old boy" and that rustles the DWSocrats so bad. He's unelectable as long as Debbie Wasserman Schultz controls the Democratic strings.

This year seems to be the people's favorite vs. the establishment's favorite on both sides.
It will be interesting to see what happens.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »

It'll be Trump vs. Bernie, and Bernie will win.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »

I don't think that's true. But if it were, let's think about the practical consequences: Democrats might feel some slight need to follow the popular vote and move leftward (although let's keep in mind how popular Sen. Sanders has been in his lengthy Washington DC career), but Republicans will continue to control at least the House, and possibly the Senate as well. In which case, it's more of the past six (or at least four) years, only with a liberal being blocked instead of a centrist. That's it. The conversation might change, which is interesting, if nothing else. But realistically, let's keep in mind what a president can do. Publicize a preferred agenda for Congress to take. Veto. Take (risky and temporary) executive action within existing law. That's all.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »

I don't think that's true. But if it were, let's think about the practical consequences: Democrats might feel some slight need to follow the popular vote and move leftward (although let's keep in mind how popular Sen. Sanders has been in his lengthy Washington DC career), but Republicans will continue to control at least the House, and possibly the Senate as well. In which case, it's more of the past six (or at least four) years, only with a liberal being blocked instead of a centrist. That's it. The conversation might change, which is interesting, if nothing else. But realistically, let's keep in mind what a president can do. Publicize a preferred agenda for Congress to take. Veto. Take (risky and temporary) executive action within existing law. That's all.
Yes. I think an element of a presidential system is that voters imagine the presidency matters more than it does.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 81   Go Up
Print
Jump to: