gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:57:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love states touring band in best shape vocally since original group  (Read 28647 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

I need a "save Al Jardine shirt"!  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:32 PM »

It was these two quotes that I found especially bothersome:

"Unfortunately, Brian doesn't sing the range he once did."

"You can't go out and destroy yourself and be a good singer."

I wonder if Mike has heard NPP, as Brian sounds better to these ears than he has in about 40 years. And I've got news for you Mike - you don't have the range you once did either. I don't think anyone does in their seventies and beyond.

Does Brian still sing the range he once did?

The "destroy" quote is about Mike himself. Surely he can have an opinion about himself.

At Mike's age "since I can remember" could be last week.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »

2011, a meat and potatoes show if there ever was one. Bruce sang two songs and didn't do crap the rest of the show. Mike was nasally bleating in a ludicrous far-eastern themed outfit that showed his gut in graphic deal.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Pirate Pirate Pirate w00t! w00t! w00t! Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »

Not when I've spoken with him since summer 2011. But hey, I would say that, wouldn't I, being on his payroll and all.  Grin

You have no idea what an utter fool you look with such posts. I pity you.
Hey, we thought you were gonna "save your breath". Try doing what you promised us, and please, save the pity for yourself.  Brow Brow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »

Not when I've spoken with him since summer 2011. But hey, I would say that, wouldn't I, being on his payroll and all.  Grin

You have no idea what an utter fool you look with such posts. I pity you.
Hey, we thought you were gonna "save your breath". Try doing what you promised us, and please, save the pity for yourself.  Brow Brow

If we are throwing a "pity party" maybe we can make it a group affair and bring salsa and chips?  group hug

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »

I see you went with an open mind and no agenda...  Smiley

This is directed towards everybody on the board by the way.  Wink

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »

It was these two quotes that I found especially bothersome:

"Unfortunately, Brian doesn't sing the range he once did."

"You can't go out and destroy yourself and be a good singer."

I wonder if Mike has heard NPP, as Brian sounds better to these ears than he has in about 40 years. And I've got news for you Mike - you don't have the range you once did either. I don't think anyone does in their seventies and beyond.

Does Brian still sing the range he once did?

The "destroy" quote is about Mike himself. Surely he can have an opinion about himself.

At Mike's age "since I can remember" could be last week.

No, IMO Brian doesn't sing in the range he once did... that's why I used the word "either," etc. It was yet another needless, oblique dig from Mike. As I noted however, I think Brian is in great voice on NPP, Whatever Happened being my favorite.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:45:08 PM by Misterlou » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »

Brian is in much better voice than Mike these days.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »

Brian is a better singer today than say, 1995. Mike sounded fairly good last summer, certainly better than Gerry Beckley. (America was on the bill.)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »

"My only regret is that I was told before we stepped in the studio it was understood I would be able to write with Brian from scratch but it wasn't allowed or didn't happen," Love said. "The recording could have been better, in my opinion." ...  Love said there are no plans at the moment for a new Beach Boys album. "If there is a way I'm able to do it the way I would like to do it, I'm not against it, I'm open to it, but it would have to be ... certain requirements would have to be met".

The album could have been better if Mike had stayed on the concert circuit. Suggesting that he's waiting for his requirements to be met is like Norma Desmond saying she's willing to star again when the right part comes along.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

"My only regret is that I was told before we stepped in the studio it was understood I would be able to write with Brian from scratch but it wasn't allowed or didn't happen," Love said. "The recording could have been better, in my opinion." ...  Love said there are no plans at the moment for a new Beach Boys album. "If there is a way I'm able to do it the way I would like to do it, I'm not against it, I'm open to it, but it would have to be ... certain requirements would have to be met".

The album could have been better if Mike had stayed on the concert circuit. Suggesting that he's waiting for his requirements to be met is like Norma Desmond saying she's willing to star again when the right part comes along.

Well said Cheesy. Although I will admit that Mike has written some fantastic lyrics in the past, and I've always liked his singing voice as well, the songs I liked the least on TWGMTR are the ones in which Mike was involved the most (as a writer).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:40:46 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »

It looks as if "Pisces Brothers" will never see daylight on a Beach Boys album. Damn!  LOL
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »

It just ain't cool for Mike to be repeatedly saying that stuff in interviews. Ugh. As if his own sh*t don't stink. Everyone's does! Why does he have to turn it into a competition, where the other "team" has to be put down/diminished. I do not know why he always has to put down Brian in some way.

Team Brian does the same thing over and over and over and over. Collectively, I'd say they do it more than Mike ever has. I don't appreciate when Mike says shit like this, but Team Brian does the same thing and does so more often.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »

It just ain't cool for Mike to be repeatedly saying that stuff in interviews. Ugh. As if his own sh*t don't stink. Everyone's does! Why does he have to turn it into a competition, where the other "team" has to be put down/diminished. I do not know why he always has to put down Brian in some way.

Team Brian does the same thing over and over and over and over. Collectively, I'd say they do it more than Mike ever has. I don't appreciate when Mike says shit like this, but Team Brian does the same thing and does so more often.

I don't think "Team Brian" simply getting Al, Blondie, and Dave onboard, and kicking some butt, proving they've got some chops, is equivalent to what Mike repeatedly does/says/implies in interviews. Brian doesn't come off as bragging, and if he speaks highly of the musicians he works with, I really don't see it as having a subtle dual purpose of dissing "Team Mike". Maybe one could argue Brian simply getting a bunch of BB members was a diss to Mike in and of itself, but the difference is that Brian doesn't go and additionally point that out.

It would be if Brian, in numerous interviews, verbally said what a great band of Beach Boy members he has onboard, and then either directly or in a hinting manner insinuating how this was more actual BB members than Mike has, and then Brian additionally saying how his vocal range has improved over the last several years, especially because he doesn't play excessive quantities of shows like his cousin, whose speaking voice at times sounds "destroyed" from overtouring. Brian hasn't and doesn't say or insinuate stuff like that, but IMO, Mike says or implies the ridiculous flipside of this kind of mean-spirited stuff from his corner.

The thing is, we can argue until the cows come home about Mike's intentions when he says this kind of stuff. But regardless of his intentions, I do not for the life of me understand how it does not dawn on him how he comes off to many, many people when saying this stuff.  And I wonder if there is a non yes-man person close to Mike who has had the guts to point that out to him. I most certainly doubt anyone who is in his employ would.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:53:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »

Brian's said 10,000 times that his band sounds better than the Beach Boys.   What's wrong with Mike saying the same thing once?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »

Has Brian ever referred to Mike directly?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »

Brian's said 10,000 times that his band sounds better than the Beach Boys.   What's wrong with Mike saying the same thing once?

I take it to mean that the Brian Wilson band has been able to more authentically reproduce the studio recordings of the '60s than any other live iteration of The BBs, past or present (C50 obviously excluded). And that's probably because the instrumentation is much closer to The Wrecking Crew, among other factors.

There may have been some interviews (I'm sure some people will point them out to me in a hurry) where Brian has said the vocal blend of his band is fantastic, or possibly (?) Brian may have implied that it is better than the BBs' classic vocal blend, though I doubt he'd really believe that in his heart, even if such was ever (?) implied in an off the cuff moment; it was a very special family blend, and I think every BB member, Brian and Mike included, ultimately knows that.

But it's the additional, extra mile of Brian pointing out how great Brian's own band is, coupled by an additional dig against Mike as a cherry on top, that is something I've never witnessed from Brian. And that's the thing that I'm seeing here from this latest Mike interview which leaves a bad vibration with me.

Mike can always find an unnecessary, ill-timed, and redundant instance to rag on Brian by using the drug use angle (Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous, anyone?), and claim that he has absolutely no intention of boasting himself up in the process, and that he has to keep repeating the drug thing constantly simply 100% out of good intentions - no group politics ever involved, ever ever ever (does a single person here really believe this, by the way?)...but IMO, it has become a way to legitimize cloaking an insult, however subtly. I know Mike and his family have been adversely affected by drug use, but there's an appropriate time and place for certain things.

Mike commendably took the Ice Bucket Challenge... now I wonder if he can take the "in the next 50 interviews, don't mention that Brian took drugs" challenge. Brian's gonna be asked about drugs many times in his own interviews (especially with L&M coming out), and will no doubt mention the regret of drug usage on his own, more than enough times to go around.  

The irony is how sick and tired Brian clearly is of being asked about and talking about his dark drug times in the '70s (because he's asked about it so much), and how much Mike seemingly likes to go out of his way to bring it up, every chance he gets. Strike anyone else as odd or ironic?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:05:01 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »

Brian tours as "Brian Wilson". He can prefer his band over the Beach Boys...clearly he's much more comfortable with them.

Mike is touring as The Beach Boys...with only one other "Beach Boy". He is of course allowed to prefer that to playing with Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Blondie Chaplin or Alan Jardine, but to say his band is better than any live iteration of The Beach Boys? It's probably more to do with the fact he has total control of the setlists and venues they play rather than how beautifully Jeff can overpower a harmony stack.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:46:31 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »

Mike's gonna Mike.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:39 AM »

Mike's own voice is not what it once was either. One could also make a strong argument that he himself has "destroyed" his voice (beyond normal wear and tear due to age) as a result of over-touring

Mike sure didn't sound well in that recent Beach Movie parody video. But the reasons for that are unclear. Is it over-touring? A cold? An allergy? (Three years ago I developed an allergy that sometimes affects my singing voice, but so far not my speaking voice.)

It's an addiction too

To me it is in fact more likely that touring is Mike's addiction rather than he does it only for the money.

While it is true that Al still sounds great while Brian's range has deteriorated, Mike could indeed have left the latter fact unsaid...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:14 AM »

I was about to say wow, that seems to be one of the first times he's complimented Al since C50.... but nah, it's just to take a swipe at BW's vocal range. As if he's one to sniff about vocal ranges!

On a new BBs album: "If there is a way I'm able to do it the way I would like to do it, I'm not against it, I'm open to it, but it would have to be ... certain requirements would have to be met."

You can probably cram your requirements up a chakra, Mike. They went on without you. Have fun at the rodeo, tho!

Yes... so predictable.

What amused me in the article was this: "Mike Love is not ruling another tour with founding Beach Boys Brian Wilson and Al Jardine." (my emphasis) I hope he never rules another tour with Brian and Al again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:37 AM »

Brian's said 10,000 times that his band sounds better than the Beach Boys.   What's wrong with Mike saying the same thing once?

I take it to mean that the Brian Wilson band has been able to more authentically reproduce the studio recordings of the '60s than any other live iteration of The BBs, past or present (C50 obviously excluded). And that's probably because the instrumentation is much closer to The Wrecking Crew, among other factors.

There may have been some interviews (I'm sure some people will point them out to me in a hurry) where Brian has said the vocal blend of his band is fantastic, or possibly (?) Brian may have implied that it is better than the BBs' classic vocal blend, though I doubt he'd really believe that in his heart, even if such was ever (?) implied in an off the cuff moment; it was a very special family blend, and I think every BB member, Brian and Mike included, ultimately knows that.

But it's the additional, extra mile of Brian pointing out how great Brian's own band is, coupled by an additional dig against Mike as a cherry on top, that is something I've never witnessed from Brian. And that's the thing that I'm seeing here from this latest Mike interview which leaves a bad vibration with me.

Mike can always find an unnecessary, ill-timed, and redundant instance to rag on Brian by using the drug use angle (Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous, anyone?), and claim that he has absolutely no intention of boasting himself up in the process, and that he has to keep repeating the drug thing constantly simply 100% out of good intentions - no group politics ever involved, ever ever ever (does a single person here really believe this, by the way?)...but IMO, it has become a way to legitimize cloaking an insult, however subtly. I know Mike and his family have been adversely affected by drug use, but there's an appropriate time and place for certain things.

Mike commendably took the Ice Bucket Challenge... now I wonder if he can take the "in the next 50 interviews, don't mention that Brian took drugs" challenge. Brian's gonna be asked about drugs many times in his own interviews (especially with L&M coming out), and will no doubt mention the regret of drug usage on his own, more than enough times to go around.  

The irony is how sick and tired Brian clearly is of being asked about and talking about his dark drug times in the '70s (because he's asked about it so much), and how much Mike seemingly likes to go out of his way to bring it up, every chance he gets. Strike anyone else as odd or ironic?

I should also add that I strongly suspect Mike's mentions of Brian's deteriorated voice, and the endless finger wagging at drug use decades ago would probably both *significantly* decrease, if not cease in interviews, if Mike got his way and got to write in a room with Brian, and was granted the control and near-equal footing/recognition he obviously desires.

Under those circumstances, I cannot see him harping on and on about these topics remotely as much in interviews, can anyone else? And doesn't that then infer that there is in fact a subtle political aspect to all the endless and contextually inappropriate harping that goes on when Mike is frustrated and feels slighted?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:15:03 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 03:29:13 AM »

I should also add that I strongly suspect Mike's mentions of Brian's deteriorated voice, and the endless finger wagging at drug use decades ago would probably both *significantly* decrease, if not cease in interviews, if Mike got his way and got to write in a room with Brian, and was granted the control and near-equal footing/recognition he obviously desires.

Under those circumstances, I cannot see him harping on and on about these topics remotely as much in interviews, can anyone else? And doesn't that then infer that there is in fact a subtle political aspect to all the endless and contextually inappropriate harping that goes on when Mike is frustrated and feels slighted?

And shouldn't someone apologize to Mike for making him feel that way, you were probably going to say next.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 04:09:22 AM »

And shouldn't someone apologize to Mike for making him feel that way, you were probably going to say next.

I do not think that Brian sees Mike as the near creative equal that Mike likely sees himself as. I think that Brian genuinely values Mike's songwriting contributions to the band, but I also believe that Brian  outgrew working with Mike as being his primary regular collaborator. I have no doubt they could collaborate to a degree, but I don't know it could ever realistically be enough quantity-wise to Mike's liking. And in 2015, that ship has sailed. I really, truly don't think there is a way that Brian could get artistic fulfillment within the context of The Beach Boys, without Mike feeling slighted. It's unfortunate and sad. It's called creative and personal differences.

Mike wants what he feels he deserves, and it's unfortunate that this is incongruous with reality. But it's even more unfortunate that it's highly probable that bitterness over Mike's 2012 experience is a culpable factor in why we now hear the endless onslaught of slights directed at Brian by Mike, not the least of which reference decades-past drug use that "destroyed" Brian's voice. That's just really messed up to bring up continually.

And Cam, I truly believe in my heart of hearts, that if Mike had ever apologized in a public way to Brian for hurting his feelings regarding SMiLE, that Brian would be more likely to offer an apology to Mike for Mike being hurt for feeling slighted in 2012. There is a continuum of dysfunctionality and improper communication that goes throughout the story, which, I might add, could be traced back even further to Mike's unfair songwriting exclusions. Yes, I can point the finger at Brian sometimes. So you should be able to point the finger at Mike sometimes. There's culpability on both sides, but let's be honest and recognize that it goes both ways, and sadly, there are reasons why no apologies in 1967 = no apologies in 2012. I do not think Brian excluded Mike from the songwriting process in either era out of resentment or anger. I think it was out of artistic and personal necessity. And Mike will never get that, and thus he subtly acts out in interviews like these.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »

Oh I do blame Mike. I blame him for "Wrinkles".

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx