gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:11:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love states touring band in best shape vocally since original group  (Read 28672 times)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »

Has anyone seen this yet? Mike Love stated in a recent phone interview that he thinks his "touring band is in better shape, vocally, since I can remember, since the original group with Carl Wilson and Dennis (Wilson) and everything." Interesting timing. Link is below.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/music/index.ssf/2015/04/our_touring_band_is_in_better.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:01:05 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »

And shitstorm to commence in 5 4 3 2 1........

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »

Try reading what Mike said properly: he clearly states that his band is in the best vocal shape SINCE the original band, i. e. since 1998.

The strapline is misleading.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:13:43 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »

Nothing new. Brian's said the same of his band in the past. Know something ? They're probably both right.

Darn, you beat me to the point again.

And this line of Mike's is also good by me:

Quote from: Mike Love in an interview
The real story of The Beach Boys, Love emphasized, is not spats or breakups or make-ups. It is about the group's musical legacy. "The fact that so many millions of people's spirits have been lifted, lives have been enhanced through the appreciation of the music," Love said.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »

For those scratching their heads, that was my original response. Both are valid. Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »

I was about to say wow, that seems to be one of the first times he's complimented Al since C50.... but nah, it's just to take a swipe at BW's vocal range. As if he's one to sniff about vocal ranges!

On a new BBs album: "If there is a way I'm able to do it the way I would like to do it, I'm not against it, I'm open to it, but it would have to be ... certain requirements would have to be met."

You can probably cram your requirements up a chakra, Mike. They went on without you. Have fun at the rodeo, tho!
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

It was these two quotes that I found especially bothersome:

"Unfortunately, Brian doesn't sing the range he once did."

"You can't go out and destroy yourself and be a good singer."

I wonder if Mike has heard NPP, as Brian sounds better to these ears than he has in about 40 years. And I've got news for you Mike - you don't have the range you once did either. I don't think anyone does in their seventies and beyond.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »

He meant those in a positive way. According to some guy on the internet, there aren't truly malicious things said about BW on the internet. Cousin Mike was saying it out of love and adoration! Just like when he uses his extensive TM knowledge to opine that BW is controlled by prescription drugs. Unleash the Love!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:21:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »

Try reading what Mike said properly: he clearly states that his band is in the best vocal shape SINCE the original band, i. e. since 1998.

The strapline is misleading.

Actually, he seems to be referencing a time well before 1998, since he references Dennis, who you know died in 1983. So no, I don't think the strapline is misleading at all.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:27:44 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »

He clearly states "since the original group", which pretty much everyone here agrees finished in February 1998. However, that doesn't suit the prevailing agendas here, so I'll save my breath.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:31:28 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »

If Mike really wanted to release some new music, he and his group could put out a cd - as long as it's not as "the Beach Boys". Could be billed like the NASCAR cd, or something to the effect of "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of the ..."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:09 PM »

Good luck convincing Capitol to put out a "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of..." album! Maybe soundcloud? A shame Radio Shack disintegrated , they really seemed to be a good fit with Mike's whole um, aesthetic.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »

Count me as not super bothered by this. Brian has talked up his group, too. It's a it of puffery, and no one denies Mike's group can deliver the goods.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »

I agree this is rather innocuous, in the sense that it’s kind of mildly and typically inflammatory, but not any different from countless other pieces. It’s a typical promo piece that markets often do when Mike comes to town, full of the same questions and answers for the most part. The only difference in the last few years is that we sometimes get an additional subset of the same canned responses to questions about C50.

I don’t think it matters, but I don’t particularly read Mike’s comment as pertaining to the 1998 iteration of the band. He says "I think our touring band is in better shape, vocally, since I can remember, since the original group with Carl Wilson and Dennis (Wilson) and everything.” First and foremost, he’s just pumping his current band up because that’s the whole purpose of the piece. To me, it seems more like hyperbole and/or enthusiastic promo hype, more like the “sounds like 1965” stuff he was saying back during C50. I don’t think he has a particular year in mind in his comments here. To me, it kind of reads more like he’s referring to the “classic” 60’s iteration of the group. That’s why it reads as hyperbole to me. Or, as Wirestone put it, puffery.

Either way, I don’t put any stock in it. By all accounts, even cynics who’d rather not see him using the name, his band is tight and professional. At the same time, I don’t know much of anyone who would suggest the 2015 iteration is better than the 2012 reunion lineup. If anything, his comments kind of continue the pattern of downplaying the quality of the C50 tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »

Mike is full of crap as usual. The voices in Mike's band are worn out from overtouring, just listen to these songs from 2014-2015.

Goin to the Beach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBSWYoSPj4

Bruce on GOK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxW5j1l73BI

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »

When was the last time you saw a whole M&B show in person, and not just isolated clips where you can cherry pick the lesser performances ?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »

2011, a meat and potatoes show if there ever was one. Bruce sang two songs and didn't do crap the rest of the show. Mike was nasally bleating in a ludicrous far-eastern themed outfit that showed his gut in graphic deal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:33:07 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

I see you went with an open mind and no agenda...  Smiley

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »

It was these two quotes that I found especially bothersome:

"Unfortunately, Brian doesn't sing the range he once did."

"You can't go out and destroy yourself and be a good singer."

I wonder if Mike has heard NPP, as Brian sounds better to these ears than he has in about 40 years. And I've got news for you Mike - you don't have the range you once did either. I don't think anyone does in their seventies and beyond.

It just ain't cool for Mike to be repeatedly saying that stuff in interviews. Ugh. As if his own sh*t don't stink. Everyone's does! Why does he have to turn it into a competition, where the other "team" has to be put down/diminished. I do not know why he always has to put down Brian in some way. This is not an innocuous reminder to "remind the public about the dangers of drugs, without any political motivations in mentioning the drug angle". Does anyone really, HONESTLY think that? IMO, this reeks of putting down someone else for self-boasting purposes, though it's nothing new.

Is it also not just stating the obvious about Brian's lessened vocal range? I doubt Mike can still hit his original high notes on All I Wanna Do and Oh Darlin'. Should Brian now bring up Mike's vocal range in an interview?

Mike's own voice is not what it once was either. One could also make a strong argument that he himself has "destroyed" his voice (beyond normal wear and tear due to age) as a result of over-touring at an extreme rate of his own choosing. It's an addiction too, that is not without consequences. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there are many singers who could tour as much as Mike does at his age without there being some adverse effects on their voice.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:27:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGUlmphteUk

They sound fairly good here, plus check out the Mike Love doppleganger at the 1 minute mark.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »

Yeah, its a problem when Mike has trouble speaking normally as a result of touring. His vocal cords are really worn out from overtouring the hit songs he sang on.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »

Not when I've spoken with him since summer 2011. But hey, I would say that, wouldn't I, being on his payroll and all.  Grin

You have no idea what an utter fool you look with such posts. I pity you.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »

So.........why didn't Mike say this before? The band wasn't the best vocally until his son left and Jeff Foskett joined? NOW it's better than it was before? Jeff was the pivotal band member in making it better I guess.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

I've been following this band and enjoying their live shows since 1976.  Longer than many, not as long as many others.  I've seen them at their best (April 21, 1977, Edwardsville, IL) and worst (October 10, 1981, Terre Haute, IN).

I saw them in Temecula, CA in July of 2008, after Scott Totten took over as MD.  It was one of my top 5 shows I've seen.  And I told Scott Totten the same backstage.  It's also very obvious that whatever was undercutting Mike's voice the last few years is now gone.  He's sounding better than ever, with vocal quality reminiscent of his live work in the late 70s.

It's a damned fine version of the Beach Boys.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »

I've been following this band and enjoying their live shows since 1976.  Longer than many, not as long as many others.  I've seen them at their best (April 21, 1977, Edwardsville, IL) and worst (October 10, 1981, Terre Haute, IN).

I saw them in Temecula, CA in July of 2008, after Scott Totten took over as MD.  It was one of my top 5 shows I've seen.  And I told Scott Totten the same backstage.  It's also very obvious that whatever was undercutting Mike's voice the last few years is now gone.  He's sounding better than ever, with vocal quality reminiscent of his live work in the late 70s.

It's a damned fine version of the Beach Boys.

In all fairness, it's Mike who is, in this particular interview, opening the door to comparisons. He could have just said his band is a fine band. I get it, it's easier to get into that sort of hyperbole when the interview isn't face to face and wearing a "Brian Wilson is God" shirt or a "Save Al Jardine" shirt or something.

I credit interviewers who will at least raise the C50 topic with Mike.

It's also pretty apparent, *in my opinion*, based on this interview as well as that weird David Beard "interview" that there is some sort of weird passive aggressive thing going on with Mike continuing to mention negative stuff about Brian and weird backhanded compliments like <well, as long as it doesn't have auto-tune, wink-wink, I'm sure Brian and Al's new song is just fabulous, even though I can' t find five minutes to stop and listen to it.>

I've said before that I kind of dread Mike's upcoming book. If he's this way in the light and fluffy short pieces promoting his local gig, I can't imagine his book will be less inflammatory.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx