gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:26:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Moments From No Pier Pressure  (Read 12990 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »

For me the best surprise was Guess You Had To Be There. It was one of those for me that hit me immediately, the first time I listened to the whole track. Some have to grow on you, this track just felt immediately like a hit. It had that infectious shuffle beat, and my expectations for just how much country influence might be in the track disappeared as I heard the groove. I already mentioned more specific reasons why in the review, but this one just felt like a hit, as they said in the old days "an out of the box smash hit".

It has that magic, that overall something that I can't define in any listing of details, but which hits you or it doesn't on any song you hear for the first time.

I'd seriously push this one as a single, one of the focus points of the album in terms of spinning a single from it. This one has that same punch for me as Help Me Rhonda and California Girls, groove-wise. Not a massive blast like I Get Around or Fun Fun Fun, but one of those that just settles in so nice and has all the elements firing on all cylinders, from performance to groove to sound.

And Kacey and Brian trading leads is a terrific hook.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »

"The Right Time"- I really like this one ; Al sounds as good as ever ; How the hell did he do this ? I love the vocal blend on the choruses of Al, Brian , Scott Bennett and Matt. . My favorite part is the wordless vocal break in the instrumental break ; give me more of that !

I'll take more of that too!  Grin   Not to single out one point of a great post, but that wordless break with Brian singing bass, that was a true highlight for me. It sounds remarkably better on the "official" releases than it did on the advance video clip release, that bass voice from Brian just nails it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »

"One Kind of Love"- written for Love and Mercy ; Bruan working again with Scott Bennett ; that's a good thing. I can't recall the last lead sung by Brian in this high a key. This one may be tied with Whatever Happened for me as favorite tracks. "It's unconditional ". Slays me.

I only picked up my copy yesterday, so I'm still getting used to the tracks, but after one or two listens, this song - "One Kind of Love" - jumped out in terms of feel and lyric.  To my ears, probably a Brian Wilson classic.  Nice to hear Brian, once again, tell the truth about love in song.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 10:51:17 AM »

Oh my God, Guess You Had to Be There. Just. whoa. I want to play it for all my friends.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »

My favourite moment was when the album began...and it just kept delivering until the last note of the bonus version of Love and Mercy had faded.  [And believe me...I was straining, on purpose, to hear every LAST 'ring off' of it.]  My favourite moment was to drive from point of purchase to my driveway uninterupted and to listen to the entire album in the privacy of my own sole company.  And I played it good and blinkin' LOUD.  It was just me and the album...and...the magic.

I will NEVER forget it.

[just another of the many fabulous gifts I have received from Brian and the Beach Boys.  Next to BWPS for certain...and maybe Pet Sounds?  This one was ever-so special. Cool Guy]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 01:22:09 AM »

"Guess You Had..." isn't good enough solely for Kacey. Her presence is just outright bad - one of the worst female voices I ever heard! Brian did fine job, but she dominates, sadly.

'lright. Favorite moments.

Runaway Dancer - start to finish
What Ever Happened - Al: "your no-ot theeere!"
On the Island - whistling! Zooey-Brian tandem.
Our Special Love - "What I'm... thinking of... can't be found anywhere in the world, except for here... that's where you are". That "what I'm", then a short drum break was I thought well executed. Brian has good sense of rhythm.
The Right Time - the bridge--Matt's falsetto.
Tell Me Why - "But now you're gooone & I gotta get oon with my-y life" leading to mesmerizing "How many times...". The harmonies are unreal.
Sail Away - the Sloop J riff; marching drum pattern; the chorus followed by beautiful backing. I think it's Matt in the mix.
Saturday Night - melody
Somewhere Quiet - Al's part.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:24 PM »

Some standout moments:

"This Beautiful Day" - The "Summer's Gone" quote starting at at 0:34 in

"On the Island" - Everything about Zooey's vocals, but especially the cute way she sings "the money you sent"  Love

"Half Moon Bay" - At 1:45, Paul comes in on sax and the song suddenly takes on a very cool '60s lounge music sound.

"Our Special Love" - The acapella bass on the intro which is absent from Hollens' solo album version. Best appreciated when listened to in a car or on headphones.

"Somewhere Quiet" - When the strings join with Al's voice on the second chorus and crescendo at 2:15...So cool

"Tell Me Why" - At 3:11, it sounds like the song is about to slip into a minor chord but doesn't.

"One Kind of Love" - I keep coming back to this song. I love the wordless interlude at 2:36 and its very Carol Kaye-esque bass part.

"Saturday Night" - The "bah, bah, bah" at 1:52 leading into the bridge sounds like vintage Beach Boys.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »

This Beautiful Day: "If we could hold on to this feeling and this...beautiful DAAAAAAAY"
Whatever Happened: The chorus
Our Special Love: Peter Hollens on the first pre-chorus.
One Kind of Love: "I couldn't hear my heart...CALLLING out for Youuuuuu!"
Saturday Night: The chorus
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »

"Guess You Had..." isn't good enough solely for Kacey. Her presence is just outright bad - one of the worst female voices I ever heard! Brian did fine job, but she dominates, sadly.
You must not have listened to many female voices if you really believe that. It's ok to disagree but seriously there are dozens of successful female singers that could not hold a candle to her. Many consider that song (myself included) to be one of the best gems on this record.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »

Some awards won:

Country Music Association Award for New Artist of the Year 2013: Kacey Musgraves

Country Music Association Award for Song of the Year 2014: Kacey Musgraves

Grammy Award for Best Country Song 2014: Kacey Musgraves

Grammy Award for Best Country Album 2014: Kacey Musgraves

Academy of Country Music Award for Album of the Year 2014: Kacey Musgraves

Nominated:

Academy of Country Music Nominee, Female Vocalist Of The Year 2015: Kacey Musgraves

Academy of Country Music Nominee, Female Vocalist Of The Year 2014: Kacey Musgraves

Academy of Country Music Nominee, Female Vocalist Of The Year 2013: Kacey Musgraves

Country Music Association Nominee for Female Vocalist of the Year 2013: Kacey Musgraves

Country Music Association Nominee for Female Vocalist of the Year 2014: Kacey Musgraves

And others, but I think the point is made...  LOL

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »

I love reading everyone's opinions of the album. While it doesn't seem to be a consensus favorite (by any stretch) Guess You Had to Be There is a great track. It's a nice peak into Brian's view of those days just before, during, and after they became famous. I would think Mike would have handled the vocals had this been on a proper Beach Boys album.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 01:20:02 AM »

"Whatever Happened" and "I'm Feeling Sad" are my favourites.

Please delete my account
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 01:58:15 AM »

I love reading everyone's opinions of the album. While it doesn't seem to be a consensus favorite (by any stretch) Guess You Had to Be There is a great track. It's a nice peak into Brian's view of those days just before, during, and after they became famous. I would think Mike would have handled the vocals had this been on a proper Beach Boys album.

With 3 other co-writers on the track, i'd be surprised if Brian had much to do with the lyric of this track. And surely Dennis would have sung it, no?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »

Brian's vocals on "Guess you had to be there", fills me with such joy. Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »

Google Kesha, Iggy Azelea, or Meghan Trainor.  If you don't like Kacey's singing voice, the three I mentioned will give you a better appreciation for the song.   
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »

which one of us said that On the Island was an allegory of Brian's time of isolation, at home, burning things with cigarettes? That analysis was brilliant. Please remind me, as I could not find it.

The Professor adds that the entire album can be read as individual allegorical depictions of various moments in BB history. GYHTBT is an allegory of the Smile era, when BW was surrounded by artsy hipsters who partied with him, giving the illusion of happiness  that "turned into a head-ache."

Beautiful Day is about the photo shoot for Surfin Safari. The Last song, obviously, is about Mike and the most recent break up.

Those are too easy. Others? The Professor is not clever enough to figure it out.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »

which one of us said that On the Island was an allegory of Brian's time of isolation, at home, burning things with cigarettes? That analysis was brilliant. Please remind me, as I could not find it.

The Professor adds that the entire album can be read as individual allegorical depictions of various moments in BB history. GYHTBT is an allegory of the Smile era, when BW was surrounded by artsy hipsters who partied with him, giving the illusion of happiness  that "turned into a head-ache."

Beautiful Day is about the photo shoot for Surfin Safari. The Last song, obviously, is about Mike and the most recent break up.

Those are too easy. Others? The Professor is not clever enough to figure it out.

I think you are referring to a post I made here:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20243.msg510159.html#msg510159

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:17:14 AM by Bud Shaver » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 05:18:14 AM »

Anyone else find the "Be My Baby" reference?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »

Thanks Bud; that was a great insight, really enhancing my appreciation of the record.

The Professor adds that the entire album can be read as individual allegorical depictions of various moments in BB history. GYHTBT is an allegory of the Smile era, when BW was surrounded by artsy hipsters who partied with him, giving the illusion of happiness  that "turned into a head-ache."

I think you are referring to a post I made here:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20243.msg510159.html#msg510159

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »

Anyone else find the "Be My Baby" reference?

Since no one bit, I'll just say that it's in "One Kind of Love." During the second bridge section -- "Oh, it's a revelation, I feel alive again" -- there's the "Be My Baby" beat in all its glory. Keltner, apparently, paying tribute to Blaine. And BW paying tribute yet again to Spector. (Speaking of which, the castanets on "Tell Me Why" strike me as another nod.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:47:55 PM by Wirestone » Logged
KDS
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 05:33:24 AM »

Wow, I'm really behind on things.  Kesha was at Brian Fest?Huh??

Kesha might have the worst female singing voice in music.  I would say Iggy Azalea, but she calls herself a rapper, which requires zero singing talent. 
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:50 AM »

Don't Worry - instrumental intro... for some reason I get such an epic feeling from this...like Brian is flying through space? And so am I? idk

Other more popular ones-

- The beautiful day- "...find a way, if we could, only stay" - when the harmonies hit

- Intro to Runaway Dancer, before drums come in

-"Whatever happened to yesterday morning...my dream came true" - Al and Brian singing together so beautiful

-Our Special Love intro (sounds like Bach!) and chorus when backing vocals hit "Our special.....loooooooove, love"

-Somewhere quiet - second chorus when strings come in reminds me of time to get alone

-Sail Away - Al singing 'follow the sun to the white sand beaches'...just reminds me of brian and al sailing away on one last adventure...kind of like the end of lord of the rings haha

-One Kind of Live - all the references to hit past- "It is a revelation, I feel alive again" "I wasted so much time, running circles in my mind", "I nearly failed the test of time, But now that you are mine, Girl I'm here to stay.

-The Last Song- "There's never enough time for the ones that you love"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »

confession:  I have not purchased nor have I heard the whole album yet.   I was out of the country on release date or I would have purchased it that very day.    I own everything ever released by the band,  solo lps, and related acts on both vinyl and CD.   and many boots.   Been busy and in a bit of a slump/funk of late and many of the reviews and comments on this board  left me thinking this was only slightly better than GIOMH.   BUT, after reading this very positive thread detailing countless favorite parts of the album, I am going to buy the CD tomorrow.

QUESTION:      I hear there are several different packages with different songs included.     which one should I try to find?
and again, thanks for the positivity!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »

I would say Iggy Azalea, but she calls herself a rapper, which requires zero singing talent. 

On a similar note, being a saxophonist requires zero trumpeting talent. So ... y'know ...

QUESTION:      I hear there are several different packages with different songs included.     which one should I try to find?
and again, thanks for the positivity!

donald, let me assure you that unless you are really turned off by slick production--and I'm not talking about THE DREADED EFFECT THAT DARE NOT SPEAK ITS NAME, just slick production, which this absolutely has--it is absolutely worth buying! (In that way it's the polar opposite of GIOMH, where the vocals at least were far, far, far from slickly produced. Or performed.)

I'd say the deluxe edition is the way to go unless you have some particular interest in the decade-old "Love & Mercy" and the '70s "In the Back of My Mind." I bought that Target version with those but honestly even though I like that L&M, I don't really need to listen to it much, and I doubt I'll ever intentionally listen to the latter again. (I don't much like the song at all.)

But as for the album proper, whether you go standard or deluxe, it's absolutely a worthwhile addition to the BW catalog. I think its reputation will improve over time, as is so often the case with BW's work. That it isn't what it used to be, or what someone else wanted it to be, has nothing to do with its own quality. It's a really good album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »

donald, let me assure you that unless you are really turned off by slick production--and I'm not talking about THE DREADED EFFECT THAT DARE NOT SPEAK ITS NAME, just slick production, which this absolutely has--it is absolutely worth buying! (In that way it's the polar opposite of GIOMH, where the vocals at least were far, far, far from slickly produced. Or performed.)

I'd say the deluxe edition is the way to go unless you have some particular interest in the decade-old "Love & Mercy" and the '70s "In the Back of My Mind." I bought that Target version with those but honestly even though I like that L&M, I don't really need to listen to it much, and I doubt I'll ever intentionally listen to the latter again. (I don't much like the song at all.)

But as for the album proper, whether you go standard or deluxe, it's absolutely a worthwhile addition to the BW catalog. I think its reputation will improve over time, as is so often the case with BW's work. That it isn't what it used to be, or what someone else wanted it to be, has nothing to do with its own quality. It's a really good album.
Donald, a +1 to the captain who beat me to the punch, and said it better. - at least if you buy the 18 track edition, you have the option to skip or not rip the bonus tracks if they don't trip your alarm

It is a very good album, and most feedback I've seen here has been pretty good - enjoy! - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx