gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:12:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Moments From No Pier Pressure  (Read 12946 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »

I just wanted a place where people could compile their specific favorite moments from the album. Also feel free to talk about non-specific favorite things if you want.

To start:

Half Moon Bay - around 1:45 mark where the guitar echoes and a deep drum (maybe a timpani?) reverbs through the track.
Sail Away - the tone of Al's voice when he sings "white sand beaches"
Saturday Night - 1:35 where Nate yells out "loud" - such a great hook
Our Special Love - before the chorus Peter does some great a cappella bass work.
I'm Feeling Sad - the entire thing is flippin great.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the standard track listing for the album (the non-Deluxe version). I think it flows so much better without the bonus tracks.

Looking forward to hearing others chime in!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »

This Beautiful Day - "find a way". this stuck out as one of those "whoa" moments, which i had a lot of when I was first discovering the BBs music. totally unexpected and awesome.
Runaway Dancer - the last chord.
Whatever Happened - seriously sounds like something Brian could've written in '62/'63.
On The Island - love love love BW's "on the island" hook w/the harmonies
Guess You Had To Be There - the vocals. period.
Somewhere Quiet - 2nd verse - Brian singing falsetto background / followed by Al singing background. i think they alternate throughout. awesome.
The Right Time - 1) verse melody & chords. 2) love the sloppiness of the hook. the timing is a little off with everything. vocals are a bit out of sync. a snare hits a little early. love it.
I'm Feeling Sad - the chorus is awesome. never thought I'd say this, but Jeff sounds great lol. and more BW falsetto background. NICE
Sail Away - between Brian's writing and Al's singing, this sounds like an MIU outtake. picture it with MIU production.
One Kind Of Love - catchy ass chorus.
The Last Song - "sing to youuuu" damned if that isn't the most solid falsetto note Brian's sang since the 60s.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:21:48 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »

Last song Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »

"Whatever Happened"-Pet Sounds quality

"Guess You Had To Be There"

"On The Island"

"Saturday Night"

"Our Special Love"

"The Right Time"

Those are my faves but honestly, I really like the whole CD.  Love Happy Dance Love Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »

Saturday Night 1:53     where Brian comes in singing "Hey baby maybe we should pre-te-end"
Tell Me Why :22      where Brian sings "I really miss that thing we we had", the strings and bass and horn and voice all just hit the sweet spot right there
On the Island    whenever Brian repeats what Deschanel is singing
Whatever Happened 2:15    where everything stops and you just get the few bass notes and that leads into  Brians's "to you"

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »

"Whatever Happened"-Pet Sounds quality

"Guess You Had To Be There"

"On The Island"

"Saturday Night"

"Our Special Love"

"The Right Time"

Those are my faves but honestly, I really like the whole CD.  Love Happy Dance Love Happy Dance
damn straight OSD!!!!!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

The vocal harmonies on the "Talk of the Town" part of the chorus on Runaway Dancer...

Kacey Musgraves singing beach-boys style background harmonies on "Guess you Had To Be There".  

The background harmonies start on the very first vocal lines on "Don't Worry", which is pretty rare, sounds cool

The doo wop break in the middle of "I'm Feeling Sad"...

The doo wop break in the middle of "The Right Time"...

ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:42 PM »

"Tell Me Why" -- The BGV's on the chorus--my favorite moment(s) on the album. Also the organ pulse in the pre-choruses, which felt like a nod to Love You. (Did anyone else notice the organ?)
"The Last Song" -- The perfect musical & lyrical climax, particularly the timpani.
"Don't Worry" -- The guitar scratching.
"This Beautiful Day" -- the first 30 seconds...dat melody is beautiful.
"One Kind of Love" -- The vox: "I couldn't hear my heart calling out for you."

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 03:48:07 AM »

Great thread!

I love most of this album and don't dislike any of it.  If I could some it all up I'd say I really like the way the album had some real surprises in there. When I first heard Runaway Dancer I was thinking "what's this?"  When that chorus it i just had to smile.  What a great hook.  I love hearing the guests (I went to see Kacey live last year on the strength of her recording with Brian).  To me this album had the classic Brian elements which are great harmonies, catchy tunes and take you to another place with the 'feels'.  Looking at some family holiday pictures whilst "Tell Me Why" and "Last Song" came on made me really appreciate the how Brian 'feels' at this stage in his life.  Great stuff!

Love "Sail Away" and the chord changes on the Al sung line "I only know what the west wind teaches me".  Great to hear Blondie.
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:25:44 AM »

The Sloop John B flutes at the beginning & end of Sail Away.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:41:55 AM »

Thank you Rab for starting such a positively dubbed thread. My faves thus far include Guess…, Saturday…, …Island, Half Moon…, This Beautiful Day, One Kind of Love, Tell Me Why, … Feeling Sad, Whatever Happened…

Finding several different albums within NPP; there's the marinaded vocals of TWGMTR's closing triptych, and a poppier album of commercial numbers like Guess, Saturday and TRT. And then there're the bits in between… much to praise, and I'll hold back any criticisms for a less positive thread!

“We live in divisive times.”
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »

Remember how Brian wished that Frank Sinatra might record "Still I Dream Of It"? That never happened, but "Whatever Happened" would have been a slam-dunk for Ol' Blue Eyes. I can imagine Frankie crooning this one very successfully.
Another favorite moment is the crescendo into the chorus of "Tell Me Why." The sudden thick chord of background voices, along with Al Jardine's ageless lead vocal, gives me goosebumps. Nobody — NOBODY — can make human voices sound better in harmony than Brian Wilson.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 06:33:15 AM »

Hooray!  A thread about the music!

When the dance beat kicks in on "Runaway Dancer" up until the start of the first verse.

The chorus of "Runaway Dancer."

The harmonies on the fade of "The Right Time."

"I'm sad when you're not at home, sad 'cuz I'm all alone."  Really the whole song, but the middle eight in particular.

Like the previous poster said, right when the chorus of "Tell Me Why" kicks in with the harmonies behind Al singing "How many times."

The "la la las" on "The Last Song."  (I've really come around on this one).
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »

This Beautiful Day - "if we could find a way/if you would only stay" - love his falsetto.

Whatever Happened - all of it!

On The Island - the very short wall-of-Zooeys in the break.

Guess You Had To Be There - Brian's chorus, absolute pop perfection, making me wish there was a version with him singing the entire song!

Somewhere Quiet - love how the vocal melody is a translation of the guitar in the instrumental. Great tight 60s snare sound.

I'm Feeling Sad - "and it's all right in front of me/I was too blind but now I see/that it's so hard to be alone".

Tell Me Why - I think this track is criminally underrated. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first verse lyrics. So simple but they describe a breakup that you know should be happening and is for the best...even though you want to cling on.

"Kind of funny but mostly sad
Kinda good but mostly bad
I really miss that thing we had
Until you went away".

This is one of the best tracks on the album. Perfection. Also, note the slightly buried harpsichord line.

Sail Away - Brian's "drink my water from a shell that I find".

One Kind Of Love - all of it. Brian's wordless backing single lines in the break.

Saturday Night - this is the one collab I think really works. "You've got me seeing a little bit clearer/now we're playing our music too loud".

Last Song - of course, the bombastic ending and Brian's "there's never enough time for the ones that you love".

Plenty of good moments on this album.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »

Guess You Had to be There. The whole song. It's a really really catchy pop song and is well suited to Kacey Musgraves' voice.

Forget the rock n roll album, i'd really like a whole album of Brian & Kacey duets.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

Guess You Had to be There. The whole song. It's a really really catchy pop song and is well suited to Kacey Musgraves' voice.

Forget the rock n roll album, i'd really like a whole album of Brian & Kacey duets.

Same here. 100% agree. I keep coming back to it over and over. It could cross over into the Country charts I think. I like it as a pop song, but, like "Livin' With A Heartache", it could go Country too! Would it fit on a Stars & Stripes type release? I think so.

But Loaf, the part about the Rock & Roll album? I won't forget it. I have patience and will wait for it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »

F*CKING LOVE THAT TRACK!!

My favourite right now..
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:48 PM »

The moment when Runaway Dancer takes a sharp left turn from the smooth sax intro to the weird and funky.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »

The vocal harmonies from 3:05 to about 3:16, through that second "tell me why," in the outro to "Tell Me Why." Different than elsewhere, filled with great little passing tones and suspensions. A lot of work for a less-than-ten second bit of background at the tail end of an album track. Absolutely beautiful.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »

I really like the album. There are lots of good parts but the one that really gets me is the last line of 'The Last Song' when Brian sings "...the ones that you, love." That final "love" sounds so sad and beautiful to me, gets me choked up almost every time I hear it.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »

David Marks, the kid from across the street, playing the opening notes of "The Right Time" and his outro too--cannot stop listening to it--a dream come true to have Dave play for Brian like this, though he did on Radio as well.

Brian in Our special love, singing "what i'm thinking of can be found anywhere in the world, except for here--that's where you are." love it.

That Beatles moment in One kind of Love at "there are no limitations with love"; is that a john, a paul, or a George chord change. Someone please help the Professor understand that moment.

The chorus of the same song.

Al singing high notes on Somewhere Quiet.

Love the album. So sad that Radio has so much of Jeff and not enough of the BB. . . . . .
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »

The only moment on the whole album I don't like is when Peter Hollens starts singing, so there are lots of great moments. These come to mind:

Nate Ruess's vocal, especially when he sings the "Saturday night" chorus a couple of times at 2:30 and 2:46. Al could have sung that part instead, but the youngster does a great job and the lyric fits a younger singer better (Al -- aren't you a bit old to be hanging around Hollywood Blvd?).

And when it's just Brian singing at the end of "Last Song", followed by the instruments that get very quiet. But then the album starts all over again! What is supposedly the last song transitions into "life goes on and on".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:03:43 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

Just a few:

Runaway Dancer - the way that high "Yeah" jumps in for each addictive chorus, and the bass line on the "conversation/explanation" part

On the Island - Zooey's vocal

Our Special Love:  The way Brian sings "except for here, that's where you are."

Guess You Had to Be There:  Brian:  "were suddenly MI-INE!"

Somewhere Quiet:  "I wanna take you somewhere quiet so I can hear what's in my heart" - great line and great delivery

I'm Feeling Sad:  the whole thing, including the guitar intro, the doo-wop interlude, and the last line, which is oddly affecting to me.

One Kind of Love:  The climbing, soaring chords/harmonies of the chorus, concluding with that unexpected left turn!

Saturday Night:  Nate:  "with nothing to do-oo-oo-oo-oo"   That's not an easy phrase to sing but he wraps right around it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:46:51 PM by Les P » Logged
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »

Brian's part on "Saturday Night" is INCREDIBLE. The guitar feels so breezy. Really makes the song for me. Nate does a fantastic job too.

"One Kind Of Love" is, to me, the best track by a very large amount. And I'm loving the rest of the album.

Also, the chorus of "Whatever Happened" is superb.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »

My thoughts on NPP ;

"This Beautiful Day"- One of my favorite opening tracks from Brian. The high register he is singing in really makes it for me , as do the "wall of Brian"  background vocals. Short and sweet ; I also like the little "Long Promised Road" organ feel at the fade;

Runaway Dancer-  my first listen of this was "uh-oh" ; this one is going to be problematic ,  Then , as much of Brian's stuff usually does for me, I found it on rotation , in my head. The more I listened to this track , the more it grew on me. What really sold me was hearing the  original demo tape , "Talk of the Town".  I really love hearing Blondie in the background harmonies along with Brian.  And it's great live.

"Whatever Happened" - My favorite track on the record ; for me that classic sound. Possibly my favorite Brian lead in his solo career; hearing Al wailing on the answer backs in the verses , and the " whatever happened to my favorite places" chorus nails me  every time. Love that delayed bass.

"On the Island"- I said back last year when I first heard this track that I thought it was great and I have not changed my mind I love the boss's nova stuff that Brian cuts; always simply complicated.  And I love Zooey's vocal on this ; I believe I said earlier that her vocal reminded me of a 50's version of Rosemary Clooney. My favorite moment on the track is Brian's background "we'll be takin it slow"

"Half Moon Bay"- a nice laid back feel of an instrumental , with some intermittent harmony stack vocals done nicely . I really like Mark Isham's horn lines here ; nice jazz feel.

"Our Special Love"-  I liked this track the first time I heard it; I like it much better with the  different mix presented here on NPP.  A really vocally complicated track ; my understanding was that this is the track that Brian played bass on before deciding it would be acapella. I think it fits well in the album context .

"The Right Time"- I really like this one ; Al sounds as good as ever ; How the hell did he do this ? I love the vocal blend on the choruses of Al, Brian , Scott Bennett and Matt. . My favorite part is the wordless vocal break in the instrumental break ; give me more of that !

"Guess You Had To Be There"- This is another track that I didn't get all of the first time I head it , but again , I found myself hearing bits if it in my head during the day.  The backing track reminds me of the instrumental on Gershwin, " I Got Plenty of Nothin". The chorus to me is irresistable ; I like Kacey's lead , especially like Brian's take on the chorus.

"Tell Me Why"- I absolutely love this track ; beautiful lead by Brian in the verses ; shifts into overdrive when Al rips into the chorus , magic. I absolutely love Matt Jardine's falsetto here ; it sounds like the old days.

"Sail Away"- first of all I have to say that I like the nod to "Sloop John B" in the track ; why the hell not ? Three Beach Boys swapping lead vocals in 2015 ; love the hook , love the background vocals.  It works great live as well ; I saw it in Vegas ; sounded right on the money.  Blondie , Brian and Al ; a great mixture of voices. I think that is Matt on top. One of my favorites on the album.

"One Kind of Love"- written for Love and Mercy ; Bruan working again with Scott Bennett ; that's a good thing. I can't recall the last lead sung by Brian in this high a key. This one may be tied with Whatever Happened for me as favorite tracks. "It's unconditional ". Slays me.

"Saturday Night"- in another time and place this would be what constitutes a hit record . Hooks galore, solid lead vocals from Nate Reuss, as well as Brian in that middle eight. I think that this is the one I will crank in the car, top down.  If it ever warms up in New York.

"Last Sing" - Moody, introspective, haunting. And sad.  My favorite moments "where I could sing to you" ; the martial drumming , the backgrounds coming in at full bore , along with the horns and strings.   One of my favorites on the record.

Bonus tracks:

"Somewhere Quiet" - I really liked this from the first time I heard it , this is a different mix from what I heard last year.  I love the vocals , all of them. Brian's lead and stacked backgrounds , plus Brian and Al singing in unison on the choruses . I think the last time he tried singing in unison was with Dennis on "I Wanna Pick You Up"

"Dont Wirry"- when I first heard this one my internal reaction was "thumbs down".  A few days later , the end harmonies "don't worry, don't worry" started getting in my head. When I read GuitarFools review if the record and he compared it to the Philly sound , that cinched it for me. I got it.

"I'm Feeling Sad"- It really has a "Friends" feel to it ; lyrically as well as musically. I really like it ; terrific lead in my opinion.

So obviously I really like this record. I like the production , I like the sonics. I like the songs.  I guess you could say I am a fan
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx