gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:50:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian charts at #25 in UK  (Read 13717 times)
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »

I'm an ignorant about all this. I saw the link Wirestone provided. Are those physical copies? Does that include downloads?

I regret to say I have no clue as to who the top 3 are.

No. 3, Kendrick Lamar, that's a dang good album.

I'll probably not see the movie for which No. 2 is a soundtrack, so unlikely I'll hear the album either.

I've heard of No. 1 All Time Low, but have heard none of  the music.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 04:10:25 AM »

So it sold less than 10,000 copies first week? Da-amn, that's pretty rough if true. Didn't TWGMTR do like 60,000?

That's with slightly more than half of the sales numbers in. The final number will be closer to 20,000, most likely.

By comparison, TLOS sold 21,000 its first week.

Given the secular decline in the record biz, Brian nearly matching sales numbers from seven years ago is pretty impressive.

But would that include downloads, or is it purely the physical release ?

Ah poo, just saw this has been addressed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:11:55 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »

And ... now down to #21.

Follow along as the results come in here: http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

Brian's doing pretty well considering that his competition includes the album at #46. Apparently, there have been 4,440 copies of "Nothing" sold. I would have thought that number would be higher.  LOL

In all seriousness, considering Brian's chart history, the state of the industry, and so on, if Brian gets anywhere in the Top 20 or 30, that's pretty solid.

Considering the number of reviews and whatnot, and the fact that they're bundling copies of the album with seemingly everything imaginable (t-shirts, posters, concert tickets, the PBS Blu-ray, autographs, etc.), I figured he might slip into the Top 20.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »

Up to #16 with 83 percent in ...
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »

Where did this end up in the 2nd week?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

#82 (UK)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:29:27 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »

Up to #16 with 83 percent in ...

Second week in Billboard Top 200... #128.  Huh

Top Album Sales... #54.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:21:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 01:23:08 AM »

Irrespective of which chart you care to cherry-pick the figures from, the performance of NPP to date is desperately poor, and I can't see why. The product itself was very good, bordering on superb here and there... there was an excellent promo show in Vegas aired just before the release... Brian did his bit in sterling fashion... all to no real avail. As a BB fan & Brianista of 40 years standing, I'm more than a little upset: I honestly expected this album to have legs. Maybe the movie release will pull it back into the charts, but right now, I'm Confused of Farnham. Anyone got any bright ideas ?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 01:34:03 AM »

in 2015 the name Brian Wilson doesn't sell huge numbers, the name The Beach Boys does.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:41:08 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:06 AM »

Irrespective of which chart you care to cherry-pick the figures from, the performance of NPP to date is desperately poor, and I can't see why. The product itself was very good, bordering on superb here and there... there was an excellent promo show in Vegas aired just before the release... Brian did his bit in sterling fashion... all to no real avail. As a BB fan & Brianista of 40 years standing, I'm more than a little upset: I honestly expected this album to have legs. Maybe the movie release will pull it back into the charts, but right now, I'm Confused of Farnham. Anyone got any bright ideas ?

My feelings would be...

Has the album really done that badly? I mean, it has done much better than many of Brian`s albums and done about as well as many probably expected. How many albums now stick around the charts for a long time?

Also, if they were hoping to use duets to sell the album then making it all duets should have been the way to go. Having 5 younger singers is either too many or too few. Their inclusion certainly makes the album much less cohesive than it would have been otherwise which has been one of the contributing factors to the average reviews. So too few guests to drag in the youngsters but enough to have damaged the album`s reputation…

And the production style certainly can`t have helped either.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 03:05:42 AM »

Surely NPP's showing in the charts tells us more about the record buying public than the quality of the record. I just checked out the UK No 1. Nothing IMO particularly brilliant about it. No 1 in the album charts is a Paul Simon compilation. Compilations are a safe bet - the best songs of a famous artist as opposed to a new album by a song writer in his 70s.

Obviously the name The Beach Boys is better known than Brian Wilson, although I would guess that this is less of a problem in the UK than in the US but in both countries, The Beach Boys have a clear musical identity . For Brian it is less so, except amongst those who have followed his solo career.

As someone once said 'Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.' Equally true of some other countries IMO.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »

My feelings would be...

Has the album really done that badly? I mean, it has done much better than many of Brian`s albums and done about as well as many probably expected. How many albums now stick around the charts for a long time?

Also, if they were hoping to use duets to sell the album then making it all duets should have been the way to go. Having 5 younger singers is either too many or too few. Their inclusion certainly makes the album much less cohesive than it would have been otherwise which has been one of the contributing factors to the average reviews. So too few guests to drag in the youngsters but enough to have damaged the album`s reputation…

Ah, so I was wrong. It's a sh*t album, hence poor showing. I understand now.

Nicko1234
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 03:43:31 AM »

My feelings would be...

Ah, so I was wrong. It's a sh*t album, hence poor showing. I understand now.

Who said that?

Does saying that an album isn`t cohesive suddenly make it sh*t? Not in the English speaking world...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 03:47:02 AM »

Sarcasm 1, Nicko 0  Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 04:00:17 AM »

Has the album really done that badly? I mean, it has done much better than many of Brian`s albums...

Very fair point. Personally speaking, the more I got to hear the released incarnation, the higher hopes I had for it. Hence my disappointment.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 04:11:10 AM »

The album hasn't tanked. The chart performance is on a par with what we might have expected. Spoke to two chaps yesterday whore … sorry, who're - thanks a bunch predictive text - off to see BW in Leeds but haven't bothered their asses to buy the album. They're going in case it's his last tour. Which is the reason why I flew to LA in 2000.

Chances are it'll gain a few more sales when the film's out, and a few more when he tours here in Sept, but I'd be surprised if it resurfaces on the charts. Probably shift more when - and I hope the day is a longtime off yet - Brian passes and a tide of beautiful people buy it to ensure they've the entire works of this darling music genius on their shelves as a conversation starter when their beautiful friends come round for a lush dinner which Giles - he's just dying to have a shot at Masterchef - rustled up just before your cab arrived, dahling.

What am I trying to say? I guess, long as we like it, sod the record buying public at large.

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 04:13:37 AM »

As many have said, I think they need to push "Saturday Night" and "Guess You Had To Be There" to the radio.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »

The album hasn't tanked. The chart performance is on a par with what we might have expected. Spoke to two chaps yesterday whore … sorry, who're - thanks a bunch predictive text - off to see BW in Leeds but haven't bothered their asses to buy the album. They're going in case it's his last tour. Which is the reason why I flew to LA in 2000.

Out by a mere fifteen years, then.  Grin

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 06:32:47 AM »

I think it might have to do with the production style and the guest vocalists (who may seem a bit random to some listeners).
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »

I think it might have to do with the production style and the guest vocalists (who may seem a bit random to some listeners).

The production is one of the reasons why I love the album.  Ear candy to me.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 06:56:13 AM »

It was dismaying seeing #82 for the second week, but I guess first week sales is what counts these days. 

Regarding the Beach Boys having a name that sells and Brian having one less so, can Brian sell enough tickets for this upcoming UK tour?  I check Ticketmaster and See tickets and you can still get great seats at the O2.  I'm not sure what kind of push from the album can help this.  I don't think Musgraves and Ruess are big names here, so releasing their singles here won't help.  I don't think a UK release has been noted for the movie either, so I can't see promotion for that bringing folk in by September.  I'd hate for this tour to be cancelled.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »

It was dismaying seeing #82 for the second week, but I guess first week sales is what counts these days. 

Regarding the Beach Boys having a name that sells and Brian having one less so, can Brian sell enough tickets for this upcoming UK tour?  I check Ticketmaster and See tickets and you can still get great seats at the O2.  I'm not sure what kind of push from the album can help this.  I don't think Musgraves and Ruess are big names here, so releasing their singles here won't help.  I don't think a UK release has been noted for the movie either, so I can't see promotion for that bringing folk in by September.  I'd hate for this tour to be cancelled.

I don't know about Musgraves, but .fun's "We Are Young" and "Some Nights" both were Top Ten hit singles. Plus Nate's 2013 duet with Pink also went Top Ten in the UK, so he's not exactly unknown. Especially in the UK.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »

Ah, guess I should've checked.  "We are Young" was number 1 here, I see.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »

A fair question would be what in the Hell is Capitol Records doing to promote NPP? Anyone know?  Huh  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »

To me charting at all makes it a win. And charting as high as it has, regardless the span of time, makes it a win/win.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx