gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:13:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian charts at #25 in UK  (Read 13735 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 08:08:42 AM »

A fair question would be what in the Hell is Capitol Records doing to promote NPP? Anyone know?  Huh  Huh

Seems like nothing.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »

A fair question would be what in the Hell is Capitol Records doing to promote NPP? Anyone know?  Huh  Huh

They're not.  They are bringing out Best of Brian Wilson Vol. 1  Wink
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »

What about all the social media appearances that Brian did on FB and Twitter?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »

Facebook chats... twitter chats... BW interviews left, right & center both during the recording and after it's been released... pieces in Rolling Stone and the like... chances are they ponied up some for the Soundstage show... Vevo videos... three "single" video releases (I'll grant you, not the best possible choices...)... short of actually sending employees out into the streets to pull people into the stores and forcing them to buy it - nope, doing nothing at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »

Where is Dr. Love when America needs him?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »

BW has a movie, album, and TV special. I call that success! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

Brian's PR staff need to get him to do a collab with PewDiePie. Guaranteed diamond seller after that. People will buy anything if PewDiePie's name is on it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »

Facebook chats... twitter chats... BW interviews left, right & center both during the recording and after it's been released... pieces in Rolling Stone and the like... chances are they ponied up some for the Soundstage show... Vevo videos... three "single" video releases (I'll grant you, not the best possible choices...)... short of actually sending employees out into the streets to pull people into the stores and forcing them to buy it - nope, doing nothing at all.

In-store signings too!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »

Well, hellfire, that makes it even more obvious that Capitol have done AB-SO-LUTE-LY NOTHING to promote Brian's new album. What a bunch of sh*tweasels and f*ckwits they are !!  Angry

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »

I don't think you can say the album has done desperately poorly, at least in the U.S. On an apples to apples basis, it performed better than any BW solo album, with the exception of BWPS.

On the other hand, I'd expect that Capitol hoped to get some Beach Boys level buzz on the album, and that didn't seem to happen.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »

I find the Billboard charts presented so confusingly as to be unreadable. I cannot tell if the BB albums listed in the 200 indicate historical charting or current charting. For example, I see the 50th live cd there as just having this week arrived into the top 200, but I can make no sense of any of the information. Please, those smarter than I , unravel it for me. Are any BB albums coming into the charts as a result of NPP. thank you.

I don't think you can say the album has done desperately poorly, at least in the U.S. On an apples to apples basis, it performed better than any BW solo album, with the exception of BWPS.

On the other hand, I'd expect that Capitol hoped to get some Beach Boys level buzz on the album, and that didn't seem to happen.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »

Well Capitol didn't promote Pet Sounds well. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »

... and TLOS & BWRG.

Brian Wilson 11 weeks on chart/debut 98/peak 54
Imagination 2/88/88
GIOMH 1/100/100
BWPS 17/13/13
WIRWFC 1/200/200
TLOS 4/21/21
BWRG 4/26/26
ITKOD 1/83/83
NPP 2/28/128 (to date)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »

I find the Billboard charts presented so confusingly as to be unreadable. I cannot tell if the BB albums listed in the 200 indicate historical charting or current charting. For example, I see the 50th live cd there as just having this week arrived into the top 200, but I can make no sense of any of the information. Please, those smarter than I , unravel it for me. Are any BB albums coming into the charts as a result of NPP. thank you.

Just looked at the current Top 200 Albums, and the 50th Live album isn't there - where are you seeing it ?

Speaking of album charts, dropped off the UK Top 100. Damn.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:27:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »

I was looking at chart history, which does not specify dates, so that must have misled me. I dare say the site is not by any means clear in any respect--too youthful and chaotic for an old timer like me.  Thank you young St. Andrew.

Just looked at the current Top 200 Albums, and the 50th Live album isn't there - where are you seeing it ?

Speaking of album charts, dropped off the UK Top 100. Damn.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »

... and TLOS & BWRG.

Brian Wilson 11 weeks on chart/debut 98/peak 54
Imagination 2/88/88
GIOMH 1/100/100
BWPS 17/13/13
WIRWFC 1/200/200
TLOS 4/21/21
BWRG 4/26/26
ITKOD 1/83/83
NPP 2/28/128 (to date)

I said apples to apples.

Billboard's overhaul of the hot 200 late last year to incorporate streaming makes comparisons like this worse than meaningless. It makes them misleading.

In terms of actual albums sold, NPP either charted at 14 or 16 in the U.S., depending on the trade magazine one follows.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:16:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

Well, hellfire, that makes it even more obvious that Capitol have done AB-SO-LUTE-LY NOTHING to promote Brian's new album. What a bunch of sh*tweasels and f*ckwits they are !!  Angry

Oh my!  Shocked A rather psychotic Angry reaction, huh? Poor guy...must be the job.  Old Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »

For accuracy; CD Sales ; NPP entered at # 14 week one. Capitol underreported and then corrected. Week # 2 charted at # 87.

For those who are interested, The Soundstage DVD BW and Friends entered the charts at # 2 . 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »

So damn well said, BW's album was a success! Cool

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »

For accuracy; CD Sales ; NPP entered at # 14 week one. Capitol underreported and then corrected. Week # 2 charted at # 87.

For those who are interested, The Soundstage DVD BW and Friends entered the charts at # 2 . 

I think the second week sales might even be higher, Ray --

http://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

Shows NPP at #58!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »

I think the second week sales might even be higher, Ray --

http://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

Shows NPP at #58!

Clay ; Thanks for the correction; my bad  .  You are correct.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »

Billboard's overhaul of the hot 200 late last year to incorporate streaming makes comparisons like this worse than meaningless. It makes them misleading.

In terms of actual albums sold, NPP either charted at 14 or 16 in the U.S., depending on the trade magazine one follows.

It is indeed a nightmare for someone trying to keep track: same in the UK - there's the official chart, the physical chart, the vinyl chart, the download chart and the streaming chart. What to do... what to do. Too many asterisks and footnotes at 10452 as it is.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:17 PM »

I think NPP is selling as much as could be hoped for. Even Paul McCartney's new albums have huge sales the first week, drop like a rock the next week and then vanish off the charts soon after.

I DO think, however, that if the film could've been pushed up a few months earlier and released in tandem with the CD, it would've helped sales. Can you imagine moviegoers who just saw L&M browsing iTunes for Brian Wilson, the guy they just watched a movie about, and NPP is the first thing they see? I mean, I'm sure that'll happen anyway, but it would've helped right out of the gate.
KDS
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:55 AM »

In today's musical climate, I'd say the album's doing pretty well. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight bump in sales when the tour begins.  Especially, if they're selling copies of NPP at the merch tables.  Your casual fan who went to hear Beach Boys classics might be intrigued by the new songs in the setlist, and purchase a copy at the merch stand. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »

As others have said, the album is performing quite well by the standards of Brian’s solo catalog (and the majority of the BB catalog for the last few decades for that matter). Considering the amount of mainstream media attention he gets and name recognition he has, I’d say things in terms of store availability and chart performance are about as good as we could hope for.

I’m actually far more surprised that the live DVD/Blu “Soundstage” release has reached #2 on the “Music Videos” charts considering it’s literally not even available to purchase at retail. Getting to #2 based solely on sales from one PBS affiliate website is pretty good. Yes, I’m aware that music videos don’t sell in the millions; physical media sale are dwindling and “music video” sales have always been far below the actual music charts. Maybe it got to #2 with only 500 or a few thousand in sales. But still pretty impressive. I’m surprised that release (and its chart performance) haven’t been publicized more by Brian and his online presence.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx