gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681475 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 10:45:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CATP WTF!?  (Read 2712 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »

Was it just me, or did Joe Thomas say that the BW record that NPP most resembled was Carl and the Passions? Is Joe Thomas so completely out of touch with Brian's previous work that he actually thinks they are similar?

This quote was taken from the web
Thomas says the vibe of the new music is not along the lines of "TWGMTR", but more akin to a "Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions/So Tough" style.

Question: Is there a BW style that resembles NPP any less than Carl and the Passions (okay, apart from BB Love You)?

Lets come up with a list of similarities:
Brian
Al
Blondie
They both have at least 8 songs
CATP was packaged with Pet Sounds, which had Sloop John B, and the SJB reference in Sail Away

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »

Eh. They recorded a bunch of stuff, including a new song called "He Come Down." A good chunk of the songs written and recorded weren't included on the album, either.

Given how many permutations the album had, the length of time it was recorded, the whole shift from Thomas to Brian in the production power axis, the guest artists --

Who knows what it sounded like in the studio the day that Joe said that?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:53:00 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »

I think it was referring to the Beck version of the album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 04:35:56 PM »

I think it's all the reasons stated above. Plus, almost anytime anyone, whether the artist or fans, says something "sounds like" something else, I rarely agree.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »

I'm still digesting NPP, and formulating my thoughts on it. At first glance, the comparison between the two albums is a big WTF moment, that may indeed have only had something to do with an earlier, different, in-progress iteration of NPP. On the surface it doesn't make much sense. But I think there are a couple of comparable aspects between the released albums (which may not have been what Joe Thomas was referring to when he made the remark).

The only ways in which I feel NPP has anything in common with CATP is that they are both fairly all over the map in terms of stylings and consistency. I think there are some awesome, and some very awesome things about NPP (and CATP), but I don't think either are particularly consistent records that I would hesitate from pressing the skip button on certain tracks. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Too bad "Hold On Dear Brother" didn't make the cut on NPP. Not sure how much better or soulful sounding you could make it than the released version, but I hope it gets released in the future. Hopefully Blondie will sing it on the road.

Wouldn't mind hearing Danny Boy (with a Brian vocal) either.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »

Too bad "Hold On Dear Brother" didn't make the cut on NPP. Not sure how much better or soulful sounding you could make it than the released version, but I hope it gets released in the future. Hopefully Blondie will sing it on the road.

No, it was "He Come Down." But it wasn't a remake. It was apparently an all-new song with that title that Blondie recorded.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »

There are tracks with banjos on NPP, which I guess is kind of similar to there being lap steel on Hold On Dear Brother. Country vibes to both.

I could see "Don't Worry" possibly fitting the soulful vibe of Wild Honey.

Other than that, not many similarities.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »

No, it was "He Come Down." But it wasn't a remake. It was apparently an all-new song with that title that Blondie recorded.

My mistake. Still would like to have heard it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »

Thomas once said that parts of Imagination compares to Smile. He's always done this.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 12:32:02 AM »

Was it just me, or did Joe Thomas say that the BW record that NPP most resembled was Carl and the Passions? Is Joe Thomas so completely out of touch with Brian's previous work that he actually thinks they are similar?

Thomas says the vibe of the new music is not along the lines of "TWGMTR", but more akin to a "Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions/So Tough" style.

Question: Is there a BW style that resembles NPP any less than Carl and the Passions (okay, apart from BB Love You)?

Brian
Al
Blondie
CATP was packaged with Pet Sounds, which had Sloop John B, and the SJB reference in Sail Away

I'll never forget this post…

Suspect though that Joe Thomas is quite astute… he'll have read (or been informed) that the usual comparisons of new music to Pet Sounds material just don't wash with the fans anymore (as seen on this board in recent months) and alighted on a couple more hardcore favourites with which to draw comparisons and get the fans salivating unreservedly.

I suspect it's a mere marketing ploy… the next album after this will probably be compared to Beach Boys Today and Sunflower…

Joe and I don't really play these type of games with one another, or with the fans.  He was quite passionate about Brian's new work during our conversation.  I did not sense at any tome that he was trying to come up with new ways to get me (or anyone else) excited.  Joe was excited.

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »

Brian
Al
Blondie

I'll never forget this post…

Suspect though that Joe Thomas is quite astute… he'll have read (or been informed) that the usual comparisons of new music to Pet Sounds material just don't wash with the fans anymore (as seen on this board in recent months) and alighted on a couple more hardcore favourites with which to draw comparisons and get the fans salivating unreservedly.

I suspect it's a mere marketing ploy… the next album after this will probably be compared to Beach Boys Today and Sunflower…

Joe and I don't really play these type of games with one another, or with the fans.  He was quite passionate about Brian's new work during our conversation.  I did not sense at any tome that he was trying to come up with new ways to get me (or anyone else) excited.  Joe was excited.

You forgot that both albums both also share Mike writing credits (ITBOMM '75).
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »

I think it's just a way to get people excited about the release before they actually release it, a PR move..remember when Al described TWGMTR as sounding like "Pet Sounds"? well it kept every one waiting for the release with the hope that it sounded that way.....of course it didn't...
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »

Blondie is on both records maybe that is what he meant< Razz
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »

I think it's just a way to get people excited about the release before they actually release it, a PR move..remember when Al described TWGMTR as sounding like "Pet Sounds"? well it kept every one waiting for the release with the hope that it sounded that way.....of course it didn't...

I agree that that is probably the reason.

That said, there's a slight similarity in theme between Runaway Dancer and Marcella (the former was originally about a hooker, the latter about a masseur, if memory serves… - the two terms might at times be interchangeable… other forms of healthy and efficient exercise are also available, kids); and I'm Feelin' Sad has that slice-of-lifeness that Busy Doin' Nothing on Friends had.

One song's similarity, however, don't make it similar all over.

Maybe some of teh discarded tracks would have strengthened the similarity somewhere…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx