gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:20:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Desper Study-Video  (Read 6499 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

ONE LITTLE BUTTON is all you need to click.

With major help from fellow Beach Boy fans, Will C. of Will C. Productions and Professor Mike Conner (Course Director of Popular Music at Full Sail University, Orlando, FL), and I are proud to announce the study-video:

RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS – Part One

NOW available for review at my website. This latest Study-Video joins six other Study-Videos that explore the sound production techniques I used in the making of Beach Boy music. These studies also include examples of my favorite mastering techniques applied to finished works of other engineers. I believe you will find each one clarifies the music and expands its presentation in the stereo panorama.

Mike Conner has donated many, many hours of his own time and talent to work on what I have written and “re-mastered.” The result is a Study-Video that represents the book with additional writing plus running commentary of the music.

Recording The Beach Boys – is in parts, this being the first of three parts. It will take you several hours to digest this Study-Video since it contains 74 pages of commentary along with 1½ hours of musical examples. In total, expect an educational experience concerning Sunflower from the recording aspect that should answer some of the many questions and misunderstandings surrounding this album. It may also raise some new issues for the diehard Beach Boy fan – but then that’s what adds to the entertainment value associated with the Beach Boy music and this thread.

I would suggest two things, (1) set aside enough time to view the Study-Video in one sitting if you can, and (2) connect your computer to a good sound system via the headphone jack, USB port or HDMI connector. It’s not difficult to do and the enjoyment you will receive from each Study-Video is well worth the trouble as these are not MP3 files, rather CD quality formats.

http://www.swdstudyvideos.com

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

Please Post Comments at:   "Ask The Honored Guest" / Desper thread   Not here.  Thanks

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »

Thanks Mr. Desper. Really looking forward to this one. LOVE Sunflower.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »

Hoping to have some time to set aside tomorrow morning for this. Can't wait!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »

Dude I love you both for putting in the time and effort on these videos. I never really appreciated "Cool Cool Water" nearly as much as I do now after hearing it the way you presented it.

Thanks again. Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »

thank you....will be listening to this over and over tonight.   Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »

Thank you, I'll listen.

Also, there's a university with the same name as a Beach Boys song?  Came out and founded the same year.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Nicko1234
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »

Thank you Mr. Desper. Superb stuff.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »

Oh my word. This is amazing.

Just finished listening to All I Wanna Do. Incredible. Such a difference hearing this music reproduced properly for the first time.
T2458
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »

I haven't posted on this board for ages - a couple too many knowalls for my sensitive nature - but I do enjoy all of AGD's posts!

Anyway having watched this study video (I've also seen all the others as and when they were released) I am compelled to say what an absolute pleasure and privilege it is to have listened to this music in the best presentation I've ever heard it.  First off I'm reminded how great Sunflower was when it came out in 1970 - every single track is a delight and we lucky Brits also got Cottonfields as a bonus.

My other half also bought the album when it came out and Forever is a favourite of hers.  She was transfixed by the vocal mix and final version - so many subtle sounds being released from what by comparison is quite muddy in some of the CD versions we've had to date.

This has to be listened to properly - the speaker set up really does produce sounds that literally jump out of the normal stereo landscape.  Cool Cool Water has a really weird ghost that comes out on the far right when I listen to it - almost like someone playing it in the next room.

Thank you Stephen for producing and sharing this and I can't wait for parts 2 & 3.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »

I will never forget the moment that I found Sunflower by surprise in the racks at E.J. Korvettes in suburban NY, and my sixteen year old self went home, put on the headphones, and was transported in sonic heaven, unlike anything I'd heard before. I remember poring over the technical liner notes, which was also like nothing I had ever read on any album. Everything about Sunflower is radiant, but it was the sheer sound of it that raised it to  the level of an art. These educational videos and audios, now some 45 years later, complete the promise held within that happiest of gatefold sleeves...

Thank you, Stephen W. Desper, for your good works here on Planet Earth.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »

So fantastic. Sunflower has always been my favorite engineered/mixed BB LP.
Thanks so much Steve!
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:44 AM »

Way too few comments on this post. This is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Mr. Desper, do you know what bitrate / audio data compression Vimeo uses?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:49:36 AM »

Maybe because Stephen asked that no comments be left here!
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:53:29 AM »

Ah! Missed that.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:48:05 AM »

Way too few comments on this post. This is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Mr. Desper, do you know what bitrate / audio data compression Vimeo uses?

COMMENT:

We use Vimeo rather than YouTube to post the Study-Videos because of its superior audio quality and passcode protection feature.

VIMEO VIIDEO

Frame rate: 30 FPS (Constant)

Bit rate: (or Quality) 5,000-10,000 kbit/s for 720p HD video
(We could go higher, but for words and a few photos, 720p is just fine.)

Resolution: 720p HD Video  16:9 aspect ratio  1280 x 720 px

VIMEO AUDIO

Codec: AAC-LC (Advanced Audio Codec)

Data rate: 320 kbit/s

Sample rate: 48 kHz

~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:46 AM »

I haven't posted on this board for ages - a couple too many knowalls for my sensitive nature - but I do enjoy all of AGD's posts!

Anyway having watched this study video (I've also seen all the others as and when they were released) I am compelled to say what an absolute pleasure and privilege it is to have listened to this music in the best presentation I've ever heard it.  First off I'm reminded how great Sunflower was when it came out in 1970 - every single track is a delight and we lucky Brits also got Cottonfields as a bonus.

My other half also bought the album when it came out and Forever is a favourite of hers.  She was transfixed by the vocal mix and final version - so many subtle sounds being released from what by comparison is quite muddy in some of the CD versions we've had to date.

This has to be listened to properly - the speaker set up really does produce sounds that literally jump out of the normal stereo landscape.  Cool Cool Water has a really weird ghost that comes out on the far right when I listen to it - almost like someone playing it in the next room.

Thank you Stephen for producing and sharing this and I can't wait for parts 2 & 3.

COMMENT:  Thank you so much for your positive observations. I'm so glad to hear that you have taken the trouble to connect your computer to a good sound system. I cannot stress enough the importance of doing this if you really wish to hear what we present in these Study-Videos. You will find it interesting that I monitor all these Study-Videos on Tannoys, a British made speaker and one of the most popular professional monitors in use today. Part 2 will be out this summer and builds on Part 1 with more details.

Thanks again for your kind words,
  Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »

ONE LITTLE BUTTON is all you need to click.

With major help from fellow Beach Boy fans, Will C. of Will C. Productions and Professor Mike Conner (Course Director of Popular Music at Full Sail University, Orlando, FL), and I are proud to announce the study-video:

RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS – Part One

NOW available for review at my website. This latest Study-Video joins six other Study-Videos that explore the sound production techniques I used in the making of Beach Boy music. These studies also include examples of my favorite mastering techniques applied to finished works of other engineers. I believe you will find each one clarifies the music and expands its presentation in the stereo panorama.

Mike Conner has donated many, many hours of his own time and talent to work on what I have written and “re-mastered.” The result is a Study-Video that represents the book with additional writing plus running commentary of the music.

Recording The Beach Boys – is in parts, this being the first of three parts. It will take you several hours to digest this Study-Video since it contains 74 pages of commentary along with 1½ hours of musical examples. In total, expect an educational experience concerning Sunflower from the recording aspect that should answer some of the many questions and misunderstandings surrounding this album. It may also raise some new issues for the diehard Beach Boy fan – but then that’s what adds to the entertainment value associated with the Beach Boy music and this thread.

I would suggest two things, (1) set aside enough time to view the Study-Video in one sitting if you can, and (2) connect your computer to a good sound system via the headphone jack, USB port or HDMI connector. It’s not difficult to do and the enjoyment you will receive from each Study-Video is well worth the trouble as these are not MP3 files, rather CD quality formats.

http://www.swdstudyvideos.com

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

Please Post Comments at:   "Ask The Honored Guest" / Desper thread   Not here.  Thanks

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »

Finally finished the whole thing. So great to hear all of the background stuff and recording methods. I never would have thought that some of the percussion was Steve tapping on a guitar case and Carl jangling his keys! Cant wait for the next installment.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 09:29:19 PM »

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but ... whenever I type in the password, it rejects it! Sad Even though I copied and pasted the "Password #1" etc.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »

Bumped. This thread should be stickied.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

Bumped. This thread should be stickied.

COMMENT:  Could you elaborate?  ~swd
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »

Sure "stickied" means to be permanently at the top of the board so it's always there for folks to see. Really love this series and can't wait for more!
KDS
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »

Thanks for posting. 

Sunflower is my favorite Beach Boys album, and one of the most underrated albums in the history of rock / pop music. 
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »

Dear Stephen,

This is truly amazing. Thank you for your generosity and the time you have spent to make this available for us to explore and enjoy. Fascinating to hear Sunflower this way. I must admit that I listened with headphones. But I plan to modify my setup so I can listen again, properly, with my speakers.

Best, and again, thank you for enriching our listening so greatly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:39:37 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx