gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:08:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Many Negative Reviews of No Pier Pressure...  (Read 104437 times)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: April 17, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »

Our Special Love has been cited as featuring particularly heavily tuned vocals.  The original version on the Peter H album did sound rather tuned to me (e.g those high notes "can't be found anywhere (in the world)...").  However,  whilst I wouldn't be surprised if the NPP version has been tuned to some extent, I don't hear it and immediately think "autotune".  Would others agree?

I think whether it has `autotune` or not is of limited importance to most people. I think it will be judged on how natural the vocals sound. And on this song they don`t sound particularly natural to me which has no doubt contributed to this being one of the worst received songs on the album.

Without having taken a poll, I'd bet up to one dollar or even a euro that most people (also known as regular, average or "everyday" people) don't know or care what Auto-Tune is, and don't judge songs by how natural the vocals sound.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Nicko1234
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »

Without having taken a poll, I'd bet up to one dollar or even a euro that most people (also known as regular, average or "everyday" people) don't know or care what Auto-Tune is, and don't judge songs by how natural the vocals sound.

I entirely agree that most people don`t know or care about Auto-tune.

I would disagree with the second point. For any non-instrumental, people are going to care about how the vocals sound. And how natural they sound is part of that. People can and have enjoyed songs where the vocals don`t sound natural. But plenty still care.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

I agree Larry, as otherwise there'd be no listening base for a majority of radio hits these days.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #428 on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »

I agree Larry, as otherwise there'd be no listening base for a majority of radio hits these days.

I think that is also partly a generational thing.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »

Maybe it is partly a generational thing, because a lot of people like Daft Punk, for example. But maybe we'd all agree that what's most important is how a song sounds overall. The big exception, I suppose, being fans who want and expect their favorite vocalist(s) to sound as if they were singing in their living room.

On the other hand, I've heard Brian sing in concert several times in recent years and at this point I want and expect him to sound better on a record than in person. Maybe the point of contention here is how much better he should sound.

PS -- and that's not meant as a knock against Brian. He's over 70 years old and has had a very interesting life.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:35:02 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »

Our Special Love has been cited as featuring particularly heavily tuned vocals.  The original version on the Peter H album did sound rather tuned to me (e.g those high notes "can't be found anywhere (in the world)...").  However,  whilst I wouldn't be surprised if the NPP version has been tuned to some extent, I don't hear it and immediately think "autotune".  Would others agree?

I think whether it has `autotune` or not is of limited importance to most people. I think it will be judged on how natural the vocals sound. And on this song they don`t sound particularly natural to me which has no doubt contributed to this being one of the worst received songs on the album.

Sure!  To me, the vocals sound a little more natural on th NPP version of this particular song Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »

I just got the deluxe? edition CD - my sis in law bought for me.  What makes it deluxe?  Grin

On the first listen there were tracks I liked, and tracks that I didnt like. Some of it may grow on me with time thats the way every new album is but I must say nothing really "floored" me on NPP. Maybe I am kind of sour due to a couple of things -- I was not real happy how the whole concept of "Brian's new album" morphed over the two years from the Beck/ Wilson tour to the final release looking nothing like the tour.  I was looking forward to Beck on the album and the indications it would be the "rock album" Brian has hinted about over time. The wait for this was ungodly long too.

To me NPP is in the vein of a TWGMTR II, and while that is not bad its not what some of us were hoping for.

2014 was great year for the BB as I can kick back and listen to MIC anywhere, anytime.   Grin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:12:21 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »

I think that's true in many cases, although it also has a lot to do with the music they were exposed to growing up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: April 17, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »

Yo...Larry.  I know you've helped me resolve computer issues in the past.  And no doubt I'll be counting on you for more assistance before too long but...that said...is that YOUR picture?

A N D...You think Brian has "had a very interesting life" do you?  Please explain. Huh

Oh...and no...this isn't 'fat'...it's experience. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »

Yo...Larry.  I know you've helped me resolve computer issues in the past.  And no doubt I'll be counting on you for more assistance before too long but...that said...is that YOUR picture?

A N D...You think Brian has "had a very interesting life" do you?  Please explain. Huh

Oh...and no...this isn't 'fat'...it's experience. Wink

Hi -- it's good to see you here. Nope, that's a picture of one of America's most interesting philosophers, John Dewey. It was taken around 1890 when he was teaching at the University of Michigan (before he gained much experience). I just like associating myself with him and his accomplishments. I'm a fan.

All I meant regarding Brian's voice is that, as we get older, some of our physical abilities aren't what they used to be (as many of us know from first-hand experience). Some singers, who are either lucky or take good care of themselves, live through the aging process better than others. I understand that Brian has been taking care of his voice in recent years, but that hasn't always been the case. Sometimes he sounds great in concert and other times he doesn't, which I (correctly or not) attribute to his age, his history and the luck of the draw.

How much Brian's singing was enhanced on NPP, or whether it was enhanced all, it's more than enough for me that he sounds quite good and that he sounds like the mature Brian Wilson.

(I had you in mind when I referred to Daft Punk above, but wasn't trying to cause any trouble!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:08:47 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2015, 04:27:36 AM »

Daft Punk!!!!!   Evil  Why I OTTA!!!   LOL  Anyway all I was expecting was a 'go fly a kite' kind of response...So?  We're, as always, good. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »

I think that's true in many cases, although it also has a lot to do with the music they were exposed to growing up.

And speaking of growing up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLGjjTiCW6w

Off subject, but figured this thread could use some positivity Smiley

And for the record, she LOVES NPP, although she said she thinks its funny that 'all the songs about being happy sound sad, and all the songs about being sad sound happy'

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: April 18, 2015, 04:28:21 PM »

And for the record, she LOVES NPP, although she said she thinks its funny that 'all the songs about being happy sound sad, and all the songs about being sad sound happy'

That's an insightful comment she made, but YouTube says the video is "private".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: April 18, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »

Fixed it.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »

Cute video Billy...it would be cool for you to record your own cover of Saturday Night!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »

My daughter is about the same age, but the song she LOVES is Runaway Dancer. Made me replay it from the live DVD a couple of times today.

We must be doing something right as parents...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 19, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »

Radio review with David Beard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om63tmAz2NY
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 19, 2015, 03:44:33 PM »

Anyone remember when a lot of members of the board were raving about a Brian Wilson/Daft Punk collaboration? I think it was during the time period when "Get Lucky" was popular.

Maybe Brian's folks listen to us, and gave us a techno-esque BW song called "Runaway Dancer."

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: April 19, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »

Anyone remember when a lot of members of the board were raving about a Brian Wilson/Daft Punk collaboration? I think it was during the time period when "Get Lucky" was popular.

Maybe Brian's folks listen to us, and gave us a techno-esque BW song called "Runaway Dancer."

I've been suggesting it for the better part of a decade!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »

"I don't use autotune" - Brian

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx