gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:22:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Many Negative Reviews of No Pier Pressure...  (Read 104430 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »

But regardless, tell Mike to try to get us that solo album he's planning before 2017! Why the long wait if he's basically just re-recording his older songs?

Better yet, please ask him to get Looking Back With Love and the Celebration albums a CD release if possible.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:10:23 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »

But regardless, tell Mike to try to get us that solo album he's planning before 2017! Why the long wait if he's basically just re-recording his older songs?

Better yet, please ask him to get Looking Back With Love and the Celebration albums a CD release if possible.

I wish! Especially the Celebration stuff. I highly doubt it though. At this point I'd even be happy if he used combined the best of his Celebration stuf ("Almost Summer", "How's About A Little Bit", etc.) and some Looking Back with Love stuff, along with some other material on a compilation and released that!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »

I'l never get back the 30 minutes I spent reading this thread.  That's my fault; it's my problem.  I should note that I was listening to NPP during this time, and I completely enjoyed it.  Some songs more than others; I'm entitled to like what I like and dislike what I don't.  I agree that Brian's singing is the best I've heard from him in a long time.  Any use of Autotune didn't detract from my enjoyment of the album, though I feel it's brave of Brian to point out that it was used - pretty much all pop albums use it or overuse it as the case may be.

If someone doesn't like some or all of the album, that's their prerogative, their right.  They don't need to justify it, and those of you who want to argue to the death about it come across as insecure in your assessment of the album.  I chuckle when I hear some of you talk about an "agenda".  Just because someone doesn't like the album?  Or poor the poor guy who wondered if BW was playing his piano on Conan took so much grief for a not unreasonable question - even what looked like not-so-veiled threats of punishment from Mods.  (PS Brian played his piano when I toured with him on the 50th).

I've never heard anyone say anything truly malicious about Brian here or anywhere; he is loved and adored.  The perceived slights against Brian are blown way out of proportion here.

Just the other day someone listed Mike's instrument as "skin flute" and no one said a word against that.  Mike gets slandered and trashed on a regular basis and many of you think that is equal to wondering whether Brian played his piano.  I don't find those two examples to be of equal value.  I really feel that some of you are bullies.

And let me say for the record, I don't have a bias - Brian is my hero and I consider myself a Brianista - proudly so.  I just don't need to put everyone else down to justify it.

Scott

Scott-

Before I get to the meat of my response, I do want to point something out...my issue with the aforementioned debate on whether or not Brian was playing the keyboard stemmed mainly from said poster claiming that Brian wasn't even touching the keyboard, and the inability to acknowledge the visual evidence. I admit I did go on too long with it, but in all honesty I felt I was being punked. In any case, we both dropped it.

As for the rest...I did miss the comment made about Mike's 'instrument', mainly because I haven't been online much over the past month or so  due to health issues...I certainly would've responded had I seen it. That said, I've spent an obscene amount of time here actually defending Mike, as my post history shows. I agree with you that there is no need to tear the 'other side' down in other to boost one's 'chosen side', and have stated as such many times. And to be perfectly frank, the only 'side' I myself am on is the music's, because at the end of the day, that's all I really care about.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2015, 12:35:41 AM »

You walk it like you talk it, Scott. Well said. If Mike trashes the album, it won't affect its sales. Because how? We have diff. ears.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »

Regarding Autotune: If someone pointed out its use on awesome Brian Wilson written tracks as "Midnight's Another Day", "Isn't It Time", or "Summer's Gone" to me, and even if I had to say, "gosh, you're right, I can hear it too now", that wouldn't diminish my enjoyment of those tracks in the least. Neither would it keep my foot from rocking during "Guess You Had To be There", my favorite NPP track. There is some kind of vocal processing detectable at some spots on NPP, but it isn't the reason I'm not connecting with most of its material. If the soundscape met my personal taste, the processed vocals wouldn't affect it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
evenjo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:38 AM »

his name is EvenJo ... maybe it's Joe himself. commenting on his own production and songwriting.. Shocked

I forgot to introduce myself. My full name is Even Johan Ottersland. So it's not Joe. Maybe I should have started out on a more postive note, I can see your point there. I did not intend to step on anybodies toes with my comment. I don't have an agenda. It was just my honest opinion, and people kept asking for examples.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:27 AM »

Really? A Beach Boys fansite is more positive about a new Brian Wilson album with contributions from 3 other Beach Boys? Thank goodness we have Rotten Nickotomatoes to do the math for us. Keep up the good work.

Ps. We can click and see your post history you know. It's a bit obvious, and you know what? It kinda proves every damn point GF made. No wonder you just dismissed his argument without engaging. Talk about disingenuous!

Yep, my posts are a mixture of positive and negative. Doubtless I`ve posted some garbage over the years.

But Peter Reum got it absolutely right in this thread. Positive and negative opinions are both valid.

And it seems here that the definition of the word `agenda` seems to be any opinion that doesn`t perfectly correspond with their own. The album has been very well received on this board. Just because it hasn`t had a 100% approval rating doesn`t mean there is a big agenda going on. Even Saddam Hussein didn`t get that.

I don't think positive or negative posts are necessarily valid. It depends on the reasons for making them. For example, if someone who believes Brian can do absolutely no wrong posts a positive review, it's pretty worthless. The review would have been good whatever the music was like. If someone who wants the surviving Beach Boys back together posts a bad review because of that (and I have seen more than one such review in which the reason given for dissatisfaction was that it didn't include Mike and Bruce) that is not a valid negative review either. The quality of the music is the issue here.

As for agendas, those who want the Beach Boys back together and are posting negative reviews because of that have an undeniable agenda - a pretty silly one since this isn't just down to Brian anyway.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:23:35 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
evenjo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2015, 02:29:08 AM »

The usage of pitch correction on the non-Thomas albums (BWPS and TLOS) was far more subtle, and Brian's vocals - even when the performances were not up to par with his latest albums - were produced far more artfully
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:38:36 AM by evenjo » Logged
evenjo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »

I totally agree with the statement above. I'd like to add that the Gerswhin-album had some of the best vocal performances by Brian in recent times. I'd only wish it was his own songs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:39:02 AM by evenjo » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:13 AM »

You know, this is a real shitty title for such a dominant thread on this board. 'Many' negative reviews? I think they'd even out at about 3 out of five, which is what most of the more 'trusted' media outlets were giving it in the first place. And, it's probably what I'd give it too. I feel it could be improved immeasurably by reducing the number of songs; I could give a flying f*** about pitch correction and otto-tune because, in this instance, it doesn't affect my enjoyment; nothing will persuade me to enjoy the Thomas production, though I find it less of a pain than on Imagination; yeah, it's kind of like son of TWGMTR without the lyrical lows but with fewer of the musical highs; yes, I would've preferred Brian, Al and Blondie to do the whole album. It remains an awful lot better than I first thought it was going to be.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:23 AM »

Does Brian have an agenda because he claims they used autotune on NPP?

Things that make you go "hhmmmm?".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:19 AM »

Although better expressed than most, this may be one of the most inane threads of recent vintage, and that's saying something.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2015, 04:33:13 AM »

Although better expressed than most, this may be one of the most inane threads of recent vintage, and that's saying something.

Thank f*** for common sense. No one can fart around here at the moment without a 5000 word response alleging a conspiracy theory. I spent an hour knocking out my own review of the album last night but have held it back fttb and bought shares in Kleenex - will post when they schedule a dividend announcement.

“We live in divisive times.”
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »

To Scott: Word.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2015, 06:31:13 AM »

To Cam: Listen to the album yet? Nahhhhh. Much rather keep stirring up sh*t and derailing threads.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »

To Cam: Listen to the album yet? Nahhhhh. Much rather keep stirring up sh*t and derailing threads.

No, to everything you mentioned.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2015, 07:12:35 AM »

I'l never get back the 30 minutes I spent reading this thread.  That's my fault; it's my problem.  I should note that I was listening to NPP during this time, and I completely enjoyed it.  Some songs more than others; I'm entitled to like what I like and dislike what I don't.  I agree that Brian's singing is the best I've heard from him in a long time.  Any use of Autotune didn't detract from my enjoyment of the album, though I feel it's brave of Brian to point out that it was used - pretty much all pop albums use it or overuse it as the case may be.

If someone doesn't like some or all of the album, that's their prerogative, their right.  They don't need to justify it, and those of you who want to argue to the death about it come across as insecure in your assessment of the album.  I chuckle when I hear some of you talk about an "agenda".  Just because someone doesn't like the album?  Or poor the poor guy who wondered if BW was playing his piano on Conan took so much grief for a not unreasonable question - even what looked like not-so-veiled threats of punishment from Mods.  (PS Brian played his piano when I toured with him on the 50th).

I've never heard anyone say anything truly malicious about Brian here or anywhere; he is loved and adored.  The perceived slights against Brian are blown way out of proportion here.

Just the other day someone listed Mike's instrument as "skin flute" and no one said a word against that.  Mike gets slandered and trashed on a regular basis and many of you think that is equal to wondering whether Brian played his piano.  I don't find those two examples to be of equal value.  I really feel that some of you are bullies.

And let me say for the record, I don't have a bias - Brian is my hero and I consider myself a Brianista - proudly so.  I just don't need to put everyone else down to justify it.

Scott

My issue is with the poster who said Joe Thomas should commit suicide a week ago (maybe these people aren't saying anything truly malicious about Brian, but they certainly are about the people Brian chooses to work with). My issue is with the other poster who compared certain Brian fans to suicide bombers last month. My issue is with the posters who have nothing but a negative posting history about Brian. Brian is truly loved and adored? Take a look at Kittykat's posting history. In the last 6 months certain posters have claimed Brian doesn't have it in him to write a great song anymore. That he is a sellout for getting younger talent to sing on his new album. That his songwriting is subpar anymore. That he doesn't have a chance of getting on the radio anymore. One poster even called Melinda "Me-landy". That is love and adoration?

People are having a kneejerk reaction to the negativity because it's been going on unnecessarily since this project was announced. I know some people aren't going to like this album. I have said it before, in this thread, that there are posters here who I greatly respect who disike this album. Though I don't agree with them, I value their thoughts as to why they dislike the album. My irritation stems from months upon months of trolling behavior from certain posters who certainly act like they have an agenda (Beer). They have been pushing negative narratives ever since Brian released that 8 second Zooey clip.

This has nothing to do with people disliking the album. This has to do with posters who have nothing but a negative history of comments about Brian who are currently making ridiculous comments about all aspects of this album.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:13:34 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:38 AM »

We live in an age of permanent backlash--a sad and seemingly unavoidable fact. Did the media start this, or did they pick it up from us once a general sense that the world was spinning out of control took hold, in (pick whatever year suits you), so that we would all be complicit in this primal tantrum?

What's clear about NPP is that it's a collection of songs that seeks to address psychic wounds and look for ways to heal them. Not paper them over, or treat them either superficially or meta-ironically. What we should be championing here is the fact that Brian's music--as always--wears its heart on its sleeve. That is why it's so valuable, even if it may not reach the same exalted heights of musical composition as Pet Sounds or Smile (or whatever).

That's still present. It's still intact. And it's the real reason why so many of us are here. We would do well to remind ourselves of this more often.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »

So you're going to continue posting and worrying about whether an album you have no interest in has autotune on it? Why?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2015, 08:03:36 AM »

We live in an age of permanent backlash--a sad and seemingly unavoidable fact. Did the media start this, or did they pick it up from us once a general sense that the world was spinning out of control took hold, in (pick whatever year suits you), so that we would all be complicit in this primal tantrum?

What's clear about NPP is that it's a collection of songs that seeks to address psychic wounds and look for ways to heal them. Not paper them over, or treat them either superficially or meta-ironically. What we should be championing here is the fact that Brian's music--as always--wears its heart on its sleeve. That is why it's so valuable, even if it may not reach the same exalted heights of musical composition as Pet Sounds or Smile (or whatever).

That's still present. It's still intact. And it's the real reason why so many of us are here. We would do well to remind ourselves of this more often.

Awesome. It saddens me when people reduce music to such and such chord changes, processing and "but it's not Pet Sounds." Brian shares his heart and soul in his music. You know, "there's a lot of love" in there, as he would say. It's okay not to relate to some of it musically, but let's not stomp the gift into the ground in the process of discussing it.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »

Hi all,

I like the fact that Brian consulted his children.  He asked his family and they said their preferences.  Daria did the album cover.  I like the fact that his children won't have confidence problems.  Peter, GF and Scott speak well.  I have yet to buy NPP.  I have heard some of the songs from it.  No Pier Pressure is Brian's gift to his children and to us.  I look forward to listening to NPP.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »

Some moronic internet joke about the skin flute is nowhere near as bullying, mean-spirited, and MALICIOUS as "Cousin Mike" claiming in interviews that BW is now controlled by prescription drugs instead of street drugs. I'm sure you guys have a good defense for that and will be listening to NPP while mounting it! Unlike say, Mike and Cam.

But lets not pretend it's "all about the music" with that level of nastiness on top of all the legal threats and bad blood. This is an incredibly dysfunctional family that knows all about agendas and bullying.

That it's reflected in the fandom shouldn't be surprising. Claiming the sneering and demeaning of Wilson doesn't exist while simultaneously moaning about the mocking of the Lovester seems like a serious case of tunnel vision. I suppose that's probably a given considering which payroll is involved, but the bile exists in both directions! Rab listed a few, do we really need to cut and paste all this gibberish to prove the point or will that be explained away with more hollow talk about it being alllll about the musssiiiic, man?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:39:18 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:25 AM »

My issue is with the poster who said Joe Thomas should commit suicide a week ago (maybe these people aren't saying anything truly malicious about Brian, but they certainly are about the people Brian chooses to work with). My issue is with the other poster who compared certain Brian fans to suicide bombers last month.

Who on earth posted these two comments?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »

FWIW, I'm not taking a side in the pitch correcting debate.  I've only listened to the available tracks on my cell phone, which is no way to listen to music.  I just think this debate borders on ridiculous.

EoL

You listen to music on a fucking cell phone. And you have the gawl to put down Tansen for something you can't hear anyway. He has every right to either support or not support his claim that Tunafish exists on NPP. He has as much right as you taking the time out of your busy schedule insisting that he take time to prove it. He doesn't need to prove anything. If he says he hears it, he hears it - trust him. He doesn't need to justify hs findings - this ain't a court of law that requires evidence. BFD if you disagree. You don't need a professional or educated ear to hear anamolies with the production. And the debate over Autotune is ridiculous? No more than it is with your ridiculous post dog-piling on him for his sincere belief concerning the existence of pitch correction. It sounds like you indeed are taking sides with this issue. Go listen to NPP on a halfway decent stereo system with both of your ears or headphones before making comments, Mr. Audiophile.

Thanks Mikie, you are completely right. Whether I am right or wrong doesn't really matter, it boils down to whether or not I want to spend my time having to give examples to prove what I hear. Quite evidently some people here do not accept that notion.

Thank f*** for common sense. No one can fart around here at the moment without a 5000 word response alleging a conspiracy theory. I spent an hour knocking out my own review of the album last night but have held it back fttb and bought shares in Kleenex - will post when they schedule a dividend announcement.

If someone doesn't like some or all of the album, that's their prerogative, their right.  They don't need to justify it, and those of you who want to argue to the death about it come across as insecure in your assessment of the album.  I chuckle when I hear some of you talk about an "agenda".  Just because someone doesn't like the album?  Or poor the poor guy who wondered if BW was playing his piano on Conan took so much grief for a not unreasonable question - even what looked like not-so-veiled threats of punishment from Mods.  (PS Brian played his piano when I toured with him on the 50th).

Scott

Word. You and Scott said it, John.

Awesome. It saddens me when people reduce music to such and such chord changes, processing and "but it's not Pet Sounds." Brian shares his heart and soul in his music. You know, "there's a lot of love" in there, as he would say. It's okay not to relate to some of it musically, but let's not stomp the gift into the ground in the process of discussing it.

Actually I want to common on one thing here. It's all well and nice that 'Brian shares his heart and soul' and that 'there's a lot of love in there', but to some of us music IS complex and/or clever chord changes, it IS production, it IS certain instrumentation, it IS complexity in arrangements - it IS what makes the music good to some of us. To me NPP fails on a lot of these points. That doesn't mean I do not respect and adore Brian Wilson, it just means I don't think NPP has the ingredients to what makes a great, or even a good album.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:57:02 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »

So you're going to continue posting and worrying about whether an album you have no interest in has autotune on it? Why?

As I said earlier, others brought up the topics and off-topics and questions and I helped. I'm a helper. As I also thought I made clear, autotune doesn't make any difference to me. It is not good or bad, it is a tool. Others, I take it, are bothered by it I guess, I'm not sure.

Now just go ahead and tell me you are in love with me and that's why you keep engaging me with these already answered questions. Don't be bashful. Quit hiding your true feelings behind your silly name calling, cranky responses and questions and just shout it out for all to hear: "I love Cam!"  Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:30:05 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx