gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:53:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl and Al's guitars  (Read 9428 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »

I don't see a brand name on Nick's guitar, and it appears very similar to the one used by Al in the Party photo.
Do you know what Nick played? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

Yes, it was a Martin 0-18 tenor. I should have clipped in a photo showing the headstock more clearly, but it's definitely a Martin. Here is a video with another folk musician who worked with the We Five playing Nick's actual Martin tenor that he gave away in 1967. You'll hear the sound this kind of tenor guitar makes and how it fit into the Trio's guitar sound by watching this clip, the last few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1mbcEN8vw

It looks like Al is playing a similar model Martin, are there more photos of Al with it?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »

Thanks - googling "4-string acoustic guitar" brings up a wealth of info on the tenor guitar, including a plethora of ways in which it can be tuned.
FYI - it's Mick Taylor playing the Nashville-strung acoustic on "Wild Horses" (according to Keith's 1978 Guitar Player interview); Keith played 12-string acoustic & overdubbed the electric lead. Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »

Y'know, having a 4-string guitar around during the actual Party! recording sessions makes this statement, from the TeenSet article on the Party! sessions, make a whole lot more sense:

"At this point, a string on Carl's guitar broke, which further delayed proceedings. While Carl went out to find a replacement string (or guitar), Billy Hensche (of Dino, Desi, and Billy) strummed the now-three-stringed guitar so Al Jardine could get in some extra practice."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

Y'know, having a 4-string guitar around during the actual Party! recording sessions makes this statement, from the TeenSet article on the Party! sessions, make a whole lot more sense:

"At this point, a string on Carl's guitar broke, which further delayed proceedings. While Carl went out to find a replacement string (or guitar), Billy Hensche (of Dino, Desi, and Billy) strummed the now-three-stringed guitar so Al Jardine could get in some extra practice."

So I'm confused:

Billy was playing Carl's guitar, which Al had been playing in the out-take photo, while Carl was looking for a string/another 4 string guitar, so that Al could play it ??

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »

So I'm confused:

Billy was playing Carl's guitar, which Al had been playing in the out-take photo, while Carl was looking for a string/another 4 string guitar, so that Al could play it ??

There's a spot on the SOT "release" of the Party! sessions where Carl and Al trade guitars, so perhaps it's Al's guitar (makes the most sense, being a folkie mainstay) and Carl was using it when the string broke. On the other hand, being the main guitar collector in the band, it could have been Carl's, and Al just used it for the photo shoot (similarly, I doubt the guitar Bruce is seen strumming in that photo above was really Bruce's guitar, but more likely Carl's...or Al's...).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:09 AM »

If there IS a tenor guitar somewhere on the Party! album, or the associated outtakes, where would it be?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx