gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:04:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on Conan tonight (4/8)  (Read 16342 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 06:37:04 AM »

I think the larger issues in terms of Brian playing keyboards are these two points:

1. We know Brian can play piano/keyboards.
2. Brian doesn’t often do a lot of keyboard playing at live shows

Seriously, the best Brian live performance I’ve ever seen was on the 2000 PS tour. No orchestra for the Saratoga Mountain Winery gig. But we got the full album. Anyway, after the admittedly awkward 1999 shows where he was “pretending” to play the keyboards (even though he actually could have; there’s a classic Beach Boys-style dichotomy there for ya), in 2000 he just sat there and sang. It was marvelous. He often sang with his eyes closed, like he was in the studio singing or something. I’ve gone back recently and listened to a really nice recording of the show (I didn’t make the recording, have no idea who did), and it’s the most “on” I’ve *ever* heard or seen Brian during a show.

Anyway, point is, the keyboard thing is a non-issue. It’s not a matter of ability. It’s more a matter simply of whether you’d prefer Brian to sit on a stool with no keyboard in front of him. I prefer the keyboard there, both visually and for Brian’s sake. Sort of like when McCartney sings with no guitar; it’s kind of awkward and weird.

And yeah, if Brian’s doing a live track where one of the guests is featured prominently, where it’s not a lead vocal trade-off but more a case where Brian provides more backing support, then Brian does kind of start to seem a bit superfluous. But I’m digging that Brian is willing to just do his new album tracks however he wanted. It’s still his album; a song he co-wrote. I’m glad, for instance, that after years of inner-BB politics where you had stuff like Al and Brian at the Hawthorne landmark thing but still not actually singing *together*, Brian could not only have Al on his *solo* album, but use a song as the first single where Al sings pretty much the entire song! Al Jardine doesn’t have a lot of name recognition outside of the BB fan universe. To me, that was Brian simply feeling Al sang the song well, he digs Al’s voice, and let’s just release a good track to kick off the album. Doesn’t matter who’s singing it.

I think Brian really likes the “group” format these days, both in the studio (writing for and assigning lead vocalists) and live in concert (not having to carry the entire show himself). It’s another reason why it was such tragic timing to shoot Brian down in 2012 about wanting to do more BB stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 07:14:09 AM »

For what it's worth, I've noticed Brian has been playing a lot more on stage ever since c50.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »

For what it's worth, I've noticed Brian has been playing a lot more on stage ever since c50.

The turning point was actually the 2009 solo tour. He started playing for basically the full length of the show at that point, and has kept it up ever since. (Sometimes he'll only do part of a song, or sit out one tune or another.)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »

Okay, seriously, who isn't hearing Brian's voice?  There are parts where he's not as prominent in the mix, but I hear him just fine in this performance.  I heard it last night, twice (I recorded and replayed), and again today on Billy's YouTube.  Loved the performance.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »

I hear Brian alright....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »

I don't get what the issue is here? I hear Brian singing. He is back a bit, but then he is not the prominent lead singer on this, Sebu is. Does it really matter whether Brian plays or not? With his band it is hardly noticeable either way. Brian should be comfortable whether he is playing or not, and he's most comfortable behind a piano. I liked the performance a lot. The mix was much, much better the Kimmel one.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »

I don't get what the issue is here? I hear Brian singing. He is back a bit, but then he is not the prominent lead singer on this, Sebu is. Does it really matter whether Brian plays or not? With his band it is hardly noticeable either way. Brian should be comfortable whether he is playing or not, and he's most comfortable behind a piano. I liked the performance a lot. The mix was much, much better the Kimmel one.

No doubt about it, Roosterhead's people did a better job with the mix than is often the case with Brian's TV appearances.  I thought he looked and sounded very comfortable with how everything was going. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »

Watched again...thank you all for posting!

Brian is noticeably more audible in the first two minutes than the end. As said prior, you can hear him hit a few minuscule clunkers.

I still do not see or hear any activity from Brian's piano. Scott Bennett is responsible for the organ sound, Darian is handling the synthy sounding thing.

The few shots we see of Brian's hands they don't even look like they're on the keys. Would someone like to provide an exact marking where they think this is occurring?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »

I think I speak for most of us RubberSoul when I say we don't give a sh*t.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »

Rubbersoul, funny you make up stuff about BW's performance when M&B have spent years not playing instruments while their bar band murders the BBs catalog.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:22 AM »

Rubbersoul, funny you make up stuff about BW's performance when M&B have spent years not playing instruments while their bar band murders the BBs catalog.
You should never be one to complain. You are even worse when comes to Mike & Bruce. Proved, case in point. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »

I think I speak for most of us RubberSoul when I say we don't give a sh*t.

Honestly.

He doesn't touch his keyboard? "He barely sang"? Then what the hell do you call that when his mouth is moving in front of his mic for most of the song? He hit a few minuscule clunkers? The man is 72 years old, still making records, STILL ON TV with a smile on his face after a lifetime of sh*t. Utterly ridiculous to see people pick apart every aspect of this man's life - from the music, to his management, to how he performs on TV. Enjoy this while it lasts, because as Brian sang some 50 years ago, it won't last forever. Some of this new music isn't up to everyone's standards, and so be it. But it seems like some people are more or less just looking for anything to nag about...hoping that something is amiss or wrong so they can post about it here. So he barely touched his keyboard. Who flippin cares?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »

There's a challenge right there, out of Brian and Bruce who can touch their instrument the least during a performance? Talk about a battle of the Titans.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Why do you have to tear down the band members just because you have an issue with Mike? More importantly,  why even bring M&B into this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »

I still do not see or hear any activity from Brian's piano. Scott Bennett is responsible for the organ sound, Darian is handling the synthy sounding thing.

The few shots we see of Brian's hands they don't even look like they're on the keys. Would someone like to provide an exact marking where they think this is occurring?

But they are on the keys ... and I already pointed out how there are a couple of times where Scott is not touching the keys, and Darian is holding down a chord. ..yet there is an additional keyboard part playing. Who do you think was playing it? Conan?!

Or hell, don't take my word for it. Ignore the audio/visual evidence as well. the fact you got Darian and Scott's parts mixed up isn't helping. Why not hit up Scott Darian or Nelson in Facebook and ask them yourself? Better yet, I can shoot Jimmy Vivino an email and ask him if Scott Healy played an extra part off camera.

Jesus.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »

But they are on the keys ... and I already pointed out how there are a couple of times where Scott is not touching the keys, and Darian is holding down a chord. ..yet there is an additional keyboard part playing. Who do you think was playing it? Conan?!

Or hell, don't take my word for it. Ignore the audio/visual evidence as well. the fact you got Darian and Scott's parts mixed up isn't helping. Why not hit up Scott Darian or Nelson in Facebook and ask them yourself? Better yet, I can shoot Jimmy Vivino an email and ask him if Scott Healy played an extra part off camera.

Jesus.

Billy, it's good of you to keep trying to explain this, but it's pretty obvious when someone isn't looking for facts at all, and clearly doesn't have a clue what's going on.  Yet he keeps coming back for more.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »

Why do you have to tear down the band members just because you have an issue with Mike? More importantly,  why even bring M&B into this?

sorry, I just get really pissed off when somebody like rubbersoul is pushing an agenda on BW and his band without a simple shred of truth. BW worked his ass off on NPP and he shouldn't be trashed with this garbage.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »

wow I must say that Brian is back!!!! This footage from Conan shows a Brian back to the Brian of the mid 60's. smiling. moving around, it reminds me of how he was on the Lost Concert dvd.. it's like he's back to his old self again...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »

sorry, I just get really pissed off when somebody like rubbersoul is pushing an agenda on BW and his band without a simple shred of truth. BW worked his ass off on NPP and he shouldn't be trashed with this garbage.

Oh, yeah, I know,  and it bothers me too. Just didn't know why you had to slam Mikes band members, when they've done nothing to deserve it. To my knowledge Brian enjoyed playing with Scott T and John.

NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

Seeing Brian smile on stage while performing new songs really warms my heart.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »

Seeing Brian smile on stage while performing new songs really warms my heart.

No doubt. He looked and sounded great on Conan. He's doing what he wants, and the results are very positive. And the song is just rockin'. His Bee Gees listening is showing through.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »

Did anyone else notice Scott's comment on the video?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »

Brian does play the keyboards today compared to many of his early solo tours (and we discussed this a lot back then) but his confidence has grown over the years so he's up to it.

Its a light style sure, low in the mix obviously, but it happens.

Some shots here from 2012 and no reason to think its not the same today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoEDZVmpnU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »

Yup...cool that he responded!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

After seeing Brian perform "Runaway Dancer" last night and seeing the live version video from Soundstage, I have to say that I like the live version of RD a whole lot more than I do the studio version. The live version's got soul!

I didn't see any comments on the video. What did Scott say?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx