gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stan Freberg, 1926-2015  (Read 1682 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

Stan Freberg's son Donavan reported on Facebook about an hour ago that his father died this morning at the age of 88.

Stan's passing needs to be marked in GMD because when it comes to the humorous/satirical aspect of music, he is a crucial figure.  John Lennon was a fan of his, as he loved to remind interviewers.  The satirical part of Frank Zappa's work is thoroughly indebted to him.  Weird Al Yankovic's entire body of work couldn't exist without him, as Al's often acknowledged.

There are a lot of aspects to his life and work, but will write about those later. For now, RIP.

PS - one thing worth mentioning, though. On May 6, 1971, Stan got the news of Donavan's birth at a store where he was picking up some vitamins - the Radiant Radish. Donavan blogged about this a while back.  By then, Brian was not at the RR too often, so unfortunately I suppose it's doubtful that he took the call and then said, "Hey, man, this is gonna really blow your mind - you're a dad."

PPS - here's his definitive takeoff on Lawrence Welk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TSDcPW2Kk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:42:35 PM by rn57 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:13:05 PM »

A very funny man (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWunj7Yw3PQ). His Elvis sketch is pretty cool too. R.I.P., sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »

Another Freberg masterwork, from a CBS radio show in '56, focusing on the world of audiophile vinyl.  As so often with Stan, still relevant.

(In 1999, Rhino Records informed Stan that they would release his box set Tip Of The Freberg in CD and cassette. He demanded to know why it wasn't coming out on vinyl, and the Rhino brass told him the format was over.  He told them it was coming back and they should get ahead of the curve....but they didn't.  Stan, as was usually the case before his personal and professional life took an awful wrong turn in 2001, was ahead of his time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxz6_utUsZo
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:25:56 PM by rn57 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »

Stan, as was usually the case before his personal and professional life took an awful wrong turn in 2001, was ahead of his time.
You mean his marriage? Something else?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »

Stan, as was usually the case before his personal and professional life took an awful wrong turn in 2001, was ahead of his time.

Yes, I do mean the death of his first wife - who was his essential partner in all he did - and his subsequent marriage to a, um, lady who more or less treated him as if he were no different a "catch" than, well, any of the innumerable lesser mortals.  Had she not put him what amounted to an upholstered Egyptian tomb for his last 14 years, who knows what spectacular needling he could have done?

Here's one of his famed commercial's for Jeno's frozen products, with Dick Peabody from the '60s series Combat and Joyce Jameson, from the Andy Griffith Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzO9IGpJ8zo

And also the thirteenth episode of his 1957 radio series, in which werewolves gradually take over the studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vlJX5RwL4
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:47:13 PM by rn57 » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »

A little-known Freberg fact: he was to be in the cast of Jan & Dean's ill-fated film Easy Come Easy Go, along with Jerry Lester (a vaudevillian best remembered for hosting Broadway Open House, the first late-night TV show) and Terry-Thomas. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »

Yes, I do mean the death of his first wife - who was his essential partner in all he did - and his subsequent marriage to a, um, lady who more or less treated him as if he were no different a "catch" than, well, any of the innumerable lesser mortals.  Had she not put him what amounted to an upholstered Egyptian tomb for his last 14 years, who knows what spectacular needling he could have done?

A great shame. Thanks for the info, rn57.

I see Stan did the voice-over for the Beaver in The Lady and The Tramp...

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »

A great shame. Thanks for the info, rn57.

I see Stan did the voice-over for the Beaver in The Lady and The Tramp...

That was his one credit on a Disney film in its classic era. I think he did some voices in recent years on Disney Channel cartoons.  Though his best-known voiceover work, easily, was for Warner Brothers.  He started as Junior Bear and Pete Puma - probably most people born after 1970 know him best for that - and wound up narrating The Three Little Bops; he got on-screen credit for that 'toon, the only person besides Mel Blanc to get a voice credit in a Warners cartoon in the studio's golden era.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:44:25 AM »

A bit late to this, but here you go:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/stan-freberg-rip.html

I remember his Banana Boat Song and Dragnet spoof fondly
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx