gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:20:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOngs that the Beach Boys covered  (Read 7780 times)
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 09:56:56 PM »

Two of my favorites are Devoted To You & There's No Other Like My Baby.

I also recently heard an old track of Brian singing You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' on YouTube, which was new to me, but I don't think it ended up being used. It was pretty raw, which I didn't mind, kind of sounded like the demo version of Mona to me, which I adore. But for those expecting something that sounded like the Beach Boys sing the Righteous Brothers, I guess it would have been surprising. To me it seemed like it could have gone on the Love You album. Anybody know any more about this? Just curious. You guys know everything.

I also (for some reason yet to be determined) love their version of Da Doo Ron Ron. BTW, I had no idea that so many artists covered Da Doo Ron Ron. You could really kill some time on YouTube, listening to all of them, crazy! Even the young Bee Gees had one, The Carpenters, not to mention Alyssa Milano... Who knew? Until a few days ago, I only had heard The Crystals, Beach Boys, & Shaun Cassidy. (I'm so unenlightened...)
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 03:03:30 AM »

This is my perspective. The definition of a really good cover is when the general public think of the cover version as the original and not the original.

#1 Barbara Ann - a stellar number one as hardly no one think of the Regents version
#2 I can hear music (the BB version beat Spector on the charts etc)
#3 Sloop John B.

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »

#2 I can hear music (the BB version beat Spector on the charts etc)

Honourable mention for Freddie Mercury's early version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzA4OyalTuI (with Brian May and Roger Taylor, so one bass player away from being a Queen song)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:00:38 PM by UEF » Logged
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 07:10:04 AM »

They did a really good version of Kokomo IMO. Can "Be Still" be considered to be a cover?

Other favourites are:
Just Once in My Life, I Was Made to Love Her, Walk on by, My Only Sunshine - Also Palisades Park when I'm really in that mood!

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 07:14:41 AM »

I love Palisades Park! That was alot of fum, going there too. I remember when I saw them do PP live at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City back in 1976 on the 15 Big Ones tour....it rocked live!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »

I think around that 1980 era there seem to have been quite a few covers of Spector productions. Some are a few years earlier.

Possibly a bit of a precursor to the "Rock and Roll" album concept which Brian has much talked about in recent years.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »

I'd have loved to hear a studio version of Sister Golden Hair, the way they played it when Gerry filled in for Mike. Possibly with a Bruce or Al lead. Brian was on the record to have dug that song.

More completed Bacharach covers would've also been cool. It would've been cool to hear Brian in his Adult/Child crooner era do This Guy's In Love With You or Close To You.

And, as funny as this sounds, a cover of the MJ/Wings song "Girlfriend" would have been very cool... That falsetto lead could've been handled really well by Carl (with Bruce maybe helping out on those real high notes)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx