gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:33:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Debut Gets Expanded Reissued In May (Rhino Records)  (Read 11758 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

Isn't the bonus-less version on vinyl (only)?

The standalone vinyl was issued last year I think.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-118787-brian-wilson-brian-wilson-limited-edition-180g-colored-vinyl-lp.aspx

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »

It's a CD. Has a different version of the sticker just posted, highlighting L&M.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »

How many copies you buy wirestone? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

Wirestone, did you buy at a Brick & Mortar store?  Just curious. 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Wirestone, did you buy at a Brick & Mortar store?  Just curious.  

I've been at two brick-and-mortar stores over the last three days. The first one just had a copy of the deluxe re-reissue. I picked that up -- it has the sticker already shown.

I dropped by the second store this afternoon. It had the deluxe re-reissue, but it also had a new, sealed copy of the vanilla BW88 album, complete with a variant front cover sticker. (I believe it says just "Featuring Love and Mercy.") It's a straight re-run of the '88 CD from the look of it -- it doesn't have the clear spine on the jewel case, for instance, and it has the godawful huge "Executive Produced by Eugene E. Landy" credit. The prices were different, too, with the expanded being a few bucks more.

Looks like Amazon has a listing for the vanilla version, too: http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson/dp/B00V862FSA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432437909&sr=8-6&keywords=Brian+Wilson
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:26:43 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »

The only thing that seems dicey about the reissue of the full, expanded edition is that it appears to absolutely identical to the 2000 version outside of the sticker on the shrinkwrap. In other words, other than perhaps the matrix numbers on the hub of the disc itself, there would be no way to tell the difference between a used copy of the 2000 edition and the 2015 edition.

I’d still like to get the “fixed” mixes, but I’m not super into paying $15 for a new copy. I did just listen to the 1988 CD, and the mastering on it is actually just fine. The 2000 remaster was mastered louder, that’s really the main difference. I’d actually say for folks with nicer systems and headphones who can run stuff mastered at lower volumes, the ’88 mastering is arguably preferable. The only issue with the ’88 version is the clipped intro to “There’s So Many” as I recall.

I also saw both “2015” versions at a record shop over the weekend. They have indeed literally just fired up the presses on the 1988 and 2000 CDs and thrown a new sticker on both. Weird that they kept Landy’s name on the barebones reissue; I thought it was by court order and/or by a settlement agreement that Landy’s name would be taken off everything. The barebones reissue is weird; they even simply kept the “Sire” logo on it, with no mention of Rhino or anything relating to the 2000 reissue. I’m curious if the 2015 barebones reissue simply uses the first 11 tracks from the deluxe remaster, or if it uses the original 1988 mastering. I’d guess the former is much more likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »

I’d still like to get the “fixed” mixes, but I’m not super into paying $15 for a new copy. I did just listen to the 1988 CD, and the mastering on it is actually just fine. The 2000 remaster was mastered louder, that’s really the main difference. I’d actually say for folks with nicer systems and headphones who can run stuff mastered at lower volumes, the ’88 mastering is arguably preferable.

It absolutely is.  It's a very well mastered CD (the '88).  Unless you are completest or never bought the 2000 version and would like to have the bonus offerings, there is no reason to purchase the 2015 reissue of the 2000 version. 

Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

In case anyone is looking for more confirmation that the mixes are correct, I A/B'd "Melt Away" and "Love and Mercy" and they are the correct, 1988 mixes on the new remaster. Wirestone already reported it and I purchased it on his recommendation, but I know that I always appreciate as much verification as I can get before I buy something for the third time.   Smiley

But, I really can't tell a difference between the "Let It Shine"s. I'm not sure what I am listening for as regards differences.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »

Weird that they kept Landy’s name on the barebones reissue; I thought it was by court order and/or by a settlement agreement that Landy’s name would be taken off everything.

Not everything. The 2000 reissue still includes his name as executive producer. And given that's the credit on the outside of the 1988 CD, keeping it must not have been a huge deal.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

Weird that they kept Landy’s name on the barebones reissue; I thought it was by court order and/or by a settlement agreement that Landy’s name would be taken off everything.

Not everything. The 2000 reissue still includes his name as executive producer. And given that's the credit on the outside of the 1988 CD, keeping it must not have been a huge deal.

I had forgotten that Landy’s name was still on the 2000 reissue. I know they did take his name off of the back cover of the 2000 (and thus 2015) reissue, and they of course took his name off the songwriting credits. But it sounds like they did keep his name as Executive Producer somewhere in the innards of the booklet.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »

$2.99?  If this sounds like the 1988 original, this is what you want.  I assume it would, since I think that's what the Flashback Warner label does -- straight up, ports of old-timey 80's CD masterings.  They don't spend a nickel.

So if you need a new copy of just the original album and for the price, put one in your car, by the pool, in the garage, whatever.

The 2000 version is way too loud for me, great bonus tracks aside.  For pure album listening, the original slams it.  The 2015 could be better than the 2000 though I don't know.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »

Why would they re-release it, and then sell it for $2.49 (or low enough, that a guy on Amazon can sell it for $2.49) ?  Is this pretty common for the older stuff?

BTW Bean Bag, I never would have took you to be one to brag about having a car, a garage to park it in, and a pool.  Tisk Tisk Tisk Smiley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »

I had forgotten that Landy’s name was still on the 2000 reissue. I know they did take his name off of the back cover of the 2000 (and thus 2015) reissue, and they of course took his name off the songwriting credits. But it sounds like they did keep his name as Executive Producer somewhere in the innards of the booklet.

I wonder if that was just a goof of someone not doing a CONTROL + F for all instances of "Landy" at the printing factory, or if there was any intention to keep that lone credit there.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »

A production credit is pretty hard to dispute as opposed to a songwriting credit.  It's at least honest, not erasing him from history altogether.  Though from what I've read, I think Lenny Waronker was more accurately the album's "executive producer" and was more invested in the album, at least emotionally (I don't know about financially) than Landy was.  

This great Rolling Stone article from 1988 basically outlines that the album never would have been finished without Waronker and Russ Titelman.  Landy's actions only delayed things.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/god-only-knows-19880811
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:39:46 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »

Sorry if I missed this while skimming the thread but I received my BW reissue (non expanded version) today.  It is supposed to be the 2015 reissue but I do NOT see anything on the outside (I haven't taken the plastic off yet) indicating that it is a 2015 reissue.  Did they send me the right item?  It does have the dark blue sticker that says features Love and Mercy but nothing to give you the indication that it is a new reissue.  If someone who purchased  this can help me out and let me know that would be great.  I don't want to open it in case it is the wrong issue and they won't let me take it back.  Thanks in advance!  Also to anyone who has done an A B comparison in terms of sound quality from the old 1988 to the new reissue, is it worth the upgrade?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »

The sticker is the only way you'd know -- that, and the fact I doubt there are any shrink wrapped albums from 27 years ago hanging around.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

And it's incorrect, really, to call any of the new BW88s out there reissues. They are more properly repressings -- the exact 1988 and 2000 versions of the album, just with the duff mixes corrected on the latter.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »

Thanks for the response Clay!   Much appreciated.  I don't feel the need to expend much energy arguing semantics as it doesn't really matter much, but they are indeed reissues.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »

Why would they re-release it, and then sell it for $2.49 (or low enough, that a guy on Amazon can sell it for $2.49) ?  Is this pretty common for the older stuff?

BTW Bean Bag, I never would have took you to be one to brag about having a car, a garage to park it in, and a pool.  Tisk Tisk Tisk Smiley

My butler, posts 99% of my posts.  I'm usually by the pool with my walkman.  My car is likely not in the garage, but getting waxed by Obama's undocuemented voters.  Open borders = taken orders!!!  Right?!!  Am I right!!?!?  LOL

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »

My butler, posts 99% of my posts.

"Dat's a good vun"

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:48:20 PM by JCM » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »

My butler, posts 99% of my posts.  I'm usually by the pool with my walkman.  My car is likely not in the garage, but getting waxed by Obama's undocuemented voters.  Open borders = taken orders!!!  Right?!!  Am I right!!?!?  LOL

Benghazi! Am I right Bean Bag?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »

I used to have a butler, but I really like reading Agatha Christie novels, and well... frankly I stopped trusting his ass. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »

Well, I put my mouth where money is and had my butler order the 2015, non-expanded edition of Brian Wilson '88 for $2.99.  And, yes, it appears to be a straight-up reissue of the original 1988 pressing.  Good news!

It might even be a new digital transfer of the original master, since there's a minor, perhaps imagined, digital refinement (smoother/more articulate?) compared to the '88 promo version.  If there is, it's so extremely slight that I could be making it up.

I would imagine the 2015 expanded edition is a digital copy of the previous expanded edition from 2000(??) -- meaning, its too loud.  The bonus tracks are nice if you don't have them... but if all you have is the 2000 expanded version -- you should consider getting the new bonus-track free 2015 version.  For $2.99, it's worth it.  It sounds spectacular.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »

Sorry if I missed this while skimming the thread but I received my BW reissue (non expanded version) today.  It is supposed to be the 2015 reissue but I do NOT see anything on the outside (I haven't taken the plastic off yet) indicating that it is a 2015 reissue.  Did they send me the right item?  It does have the dark blue sticker that says features Love and Mercy but nothing to give you the indication that it is a new reissue.  If someone who purchased  this can help me out and let me know that would be great.  I don't want to open it in case it is the wrong issue and they won't let me take it back.  Thanks in advance!  Also to anyone who has done an A B comparison in terms of sound quality from the old 1988 to the new reissue, is it worth the upgrade?

As I'm a bit of a completist when it comes to collecting the Beach Boys I bought the 2015 Expanded CD today.  It does have the corrected mixes as mentioned earlier.  Anther easy way to tell it apart from the 2000 version (apart from the sticker on the front) is that the 2000 font cover has blue musical notes on it as part of the design.  The 2015 version doesn't (as per my original Sire 1988 release).  All 3 versions have subtle white musical notes on the back covers.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 08:04:28 PM »

Just airing an old gripe but how in the hell could those in charge not notice the bum mixes on the 2000 reissue?  I noticed immediately -- the missing high "ahhh ahhhh's" on the "Melt Away" tag send a wonderful song over the top.  Not saying someone should have been fired over that but if I made such an egregious mistake at my rent gig well.....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx