gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:21:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: America - an imagined album  (Read 1694 times)
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »

Hi all, I just uploaded something I've been working on for a bit, hope you enjoy!

http://albumsreconstructed.blogspot.com/2015/04/america-beach-boys-america-actually.html (download link at bottom of page)

America is actually an amalgam of recordings made by The Beach Boys from 1970-1974. I noticed many of the songs they made during this prolific and impressive period had a strong thematic connection. This was not the first time The Beach Boys had recorded songs with an American theme, but it was the first time we see a different picture of America: gone is the surfing and the girls on the beach, here we see a heavy, forlorn look at the country, as the band reexamines the concept of America with new experiences since the early sixties.
This albums uses many tracks from Holland, but also uses outtakes and a track from Surf's Up. Sound effects have been added and crossfades to create a true progressive feel. I'm very proud of how this turned out, sort of a look into what a truly progressive and conceptual album would have looked like from the band.
"Sail on Sailor" opens with the intro from "Fourth of July", the album's closer, creating a cyclical feeling. On this album, "Sail on Sailor" tells the story of the earliest explorers, who would travel farther than any one ever had to conquer and establish new lands. This segues into...
"Trader", a song that really is about imperialism, tells of the early settlers and their conquest of the native populations.
"Big Sur" shows us a lighter side of America's birth, as the settlers come to know and enjoy the land. Here the bootleg version is used, as I like it much better than the released version.
"Beaks of Eagles/California" finish off the California Cycle found on Holland.
"Barnyard Blues" is an unreleased Dennis track, that tells of the beginnings of a disenchantment and disrespect for the land, as the simple farmers wish to leave and create cities and industry.
"Steamboat" represents the arrival of industry, and the accelerated spread of the population across the continent. The song is slow and heavy, which represents both the boat and the increased burden of technology on the land.
"Out in The Country" is an unreleased Al Jardine track, showing the remorse felt at having left the simple life, and a desire to return to it.
"Lookin' at Tomorrow" represents the Great Depression, and the death of the American dream to many people. And where desperation is, war is never far off...
"Battle Hymn of the Republic is an unreleased idea of Brian's. A lot of people hate this track and while I agree it's not exactly Surf's Up, it fits incredibly well in the story and the almost silliness the song is treated with seems to fit the idea of war many people have.
"Carry Me Home" is another unreleased Dennis song, and shows a soldier on the battlefield, having been gravely wounded. The long, complicated, and often sad history of America ends here.
"Fourth of July" is yet another unreleased Dennis song, and acts as an epilogue of sorts to close the album. A heavy examination of our country, where it is, and where it is going seems a fitting closer, ending with the same water sound effects that we hear before "Sail on Sailor". The album comes off as a bit of a downer, but the story is a powerful one and the music, though at times sad, is wonderful.

Enjoy, comments appreciated!

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »

Not better than what we got but a very nice concept.  Well thought and well done.
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

Not better than what we got but a very nice concept.  Well thought and well done.

Thanks, appreciate it! Yeah I don't think it's necessarily better but I certainly feel it works.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »

I love the idea, and the track list is very well thought out. However, I'd replace Battle Hymn Of The republic with Cotton Fields.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:22:29 AM »

I've got a 1993 box set that's got "4th of July" on it.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

I've got a 1993 box set that's got "4th of July" on it.  Smiley

haha yes of course! I suppose I meant more of unreleased at the time, if I may retroactively make excuses  LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx