gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:06:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Several new reviews  (Read 25898 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »

The Metacritic was at 65 until the PopMatters review hit. It's a total dud of a review -- packed with factual mistakes and logical inconsistencies. Not every review needs to be good, but I hate mindless pans.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »

What are the factual mistakes in the PopMatters review?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »

Who could forget such classics as “Smart Girls”, Brian’s groundbreaking foray into hip-hop

"Smart Girls" was never released officially and is not part of Brian's discography. Blaming artists for music they or their label don't release is nuts.

Even more shocking is his follow-up, 2008’s That Lucky Old Sun, a brand new collaboration with Van Dyke Parks that is actually quite solid.

A collaboration with Scott Bennett, who co-wrote all but two of the album's original songs and co-produced the record.

The Wondermints, Brian’s backing band

The Wondermints are not Brian Wilson's backing band.  Two members of the group (Darian and Nicky) have been members of Brian's backing group since the beginning. A third member, Mikey D., has been involved intermittently. Brian Kassan, one of the group's bassists, has never been involved. Probyn was never an official Wondermint, but has been in the band from the beginning.

The Wondermints, Brian’s backing band who had previously championed Wilson’s return to form with SMiLE and Lucky Old Sun

Again, Brian wrote and produced TLOS with Scott Bennett, who is not and has never been a Wondermint.

The Wondermints, Brian’s backing band who had previously championed Wilson’s return to form with SMiLE and Lucky Old Sun are mostly out of the picture now.

Darian, Nicky and Probyn, all of whom played on Wondermints records, all play on NPP. Other BW band members Scott Bennett, Paul Merterns, Bob Lizik, Brett Simons, Nelson Bragg and Taylor Mills all appear on the record too.

Scott co-writes two of the album's songs. Paul, who is the band's musical director, does all the album's string and horn arrangements.

"Out of the picture now." Right.

Would he invite Zooey Deschanel, or that guy who was on that Pink song from a few years ago to do guest spots? No, because he doesn’t know who those people are, nor should he.

Given that Zooey interviewed Brian on the TLOS DVD some seven years ago, so  he most definitely knows who she is. As for Nate Ruess, or some of the other current artists, Brian has heard them because his kids played their music in the house.

A collection of limp, lifeless songs (each of which share a songwriting credit with Thomas)

Except for the two that don't.

Wilson would never write Top 40 country pap like “Guess You Had to Be There” or a horrific, destined-to-be-theme-music-for-a-Sandals-Resort-commercial tune like “On the Island”.

Except that he did.

If anyone has seen an interview or spoken with Brian these last five or ten years, you know that this is a man who is simply not interested in making music anymore

A few paragraphs earlier, the very article praises TLOS, which came out in 2008, some seven years ago. So was he uninterested then? Was he uninterested in Gershwin (the album that, on Facebook, he said was his best solo record)? Or uninterested in the BB record?

Think about what's being said here -- that because someone gives bad interviews, they're "simply not interested" in music. How does that even begin to make sense?

Anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:48:39 PM by Wirestone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/music/brians-back-the-waterboys-go-big-again-more-115775536641.html

"It is a very solid, fascinating album that needs no excuses or asterisks next to it in the discography, and we should all be grateful Wilson is still around to have made it."

Hell yeah!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Nicko1234
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

Review of the deluxe edition:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-review.html

Review on dailytexanonline: 5/10

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2015/04/07/brian-wilson-throws-it-back-with-new-album

Review from Holland:

http://www.platendraaier.nl/albumrecensies/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/

Badly translated summation:

`Brian has still potential to penetrate the simple catchy songs. However, at No Pier Pressure this repeatedly tried to skin Joe Thomas who just could not keep my hands off his fingers from the tuna-fish . This results in a mixed plate is pushed with the help of a number of artists of this time even further into the ravine. Fortunately there are still his old band mates Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and David Marks that make it even somewhat level. When Brian it has the potential to come up with new material, he can better next time itself take place behind the buttons.`

And from Sweden:
http://nojesguiden.se/recensioner/musik/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure

Badly translated:

`if one wishes to Brian Wilson finished his genius lay in the hands of mediocrities. All these unimaginative showbiz producers who more or less clumsily trying to "put the Beach Boys in contemporary life" with mechanical pork disco drums and 80s saxophone. Who can not come up with something more original than that Tussa together Brian Wilson with various drop-current pop stars, one more apart than the other in this context. Like when no other ideas are available quote Pet Sounds audio and calls in a few scattered old Beach Boys colleagues to build vocal harmonies for maximum nostalgia and 60-talstravesti.

No, Brian Wilson. It's not that your brilliant songs and harmonizing your unique needs. What they need is peace and quiet, they need to be left alone. They do not instrumental FUSTIAN, they need calm and stripped environments with friends who trust and believe in them as they are. They need maybe Jeff Tweedy?`

Joe Thomas will now forever in my mind be associated with mechanical pork disco drums...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:53:03 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »

Are you both as un-educated and ill-informed about Brian and his career as the author?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »

What are the factual mistakes in the PopMatters review?
I would love you to now spend the time to either refute the factual inaccuracies in said article. Or withdraw, your loaded attempt at a justification of this tripe of a 'review".

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »

Guess no one is too particularly fond of "Runaway Dancer".  It does stand out a little when compared to the rest of album, but on its own terms, it's really not that bad.  If this were a Capital Cities track with Brian guesting, I'm guessing it would probably be better received.  I was skeptical of the song at first but have grown fond of it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »

The Popmatters review is, to put it politely, a giant pile of sh*t.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/music/brians-back-the-waterboys-go-big-again-more-115775536641.html

"It is a very solid, fascinating album that needs no excuses or asterisks next to it in the discography, and we should all be grateful Wilson is still around to have made it."

Hell yeah!

You know, after reading the Yahoo review, I think he's on to something by writing  a review without assigning a star rating to it. Art is so subjective that a star rating seems kind of stupid--I never thought about it before, but it's a weird system.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »

actually "Smart Girls" was released, on the air at least, because it was on the Dr. Demento show.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »

Here's a very subjective review published today:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/132584/brian-wilson-pier-pressure-album-review/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »

Yeah. ..reads like it was written by a 13 year old

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »

The only word I have for that review is: Brice.

It's all very Brice.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »

The thing that pisses me off the most about the Popmatters review is that the reviewer seems to think that people are forcing Brian to do this album, and that he's not really interested in the music himself. Sort of like a 15 Big Ones type of situation.

For die-hard Beach Boys fans, there is a very special kind of knot that appears in their stomach each time someone decides to drag out Brian Wilson for another go-around. You know that feeling when your elderly grandparent is wheeled out by your overbearing aunt to make a speech at Thanksgiving dinner—that “Oh, just let him eat his jello in peace!” feeling? It’s a bit like that.

The review also says that this is a Brian album in name only, even though only about a third of the deluxe edition has guest vocalists on it [not including Al/Blondie].

But alas, the man has bills to pay and family to support, so he signed off on this thing. If anyone has seen an interview or spoken with Brian these last five or ten years, you know that this is a man who is simply not interested in making music anymore, and he doesn’t need to be.

Brian's been working on this album in one form or another for the past three years, so clearly he isn't very interested at all
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »

Here's a funny one:

http://www.mittelbayerische.de/kultur/musik/kritik/der-alte-mann-und-das-meer-21927-art1213327.html

It's a positive review ("rate: excellent") in German. At the end it says "The high point of the album is the piano ballad "In The Back Of My Mind" which sounds so minimalistic as an old demo from the drawer" Cheesy

Maybe we should tell him it is.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »

I would love you to now spend the time to either refute the factual inaccuracies in said article. Or withdraw, your loaded attempt at a justification of this tripe of a 'review".
There is no harm in asking. Most of the answers I got focused on minor technicalities which, if they were properly summarized in the review, would not have earned it brevity points. Is Lucky Old Sun a Scott Bennett collaboration or a Van Dyke collaboration? Both of those guys kinda collaborated in their own ways, didn't they?

The other refuting points were obtained from promotional media like interviews and press releases. 'You don't believe Wilson wrote On the Island? But the liner notes say so! Hehe, debunked.' Ultimately, the PopMatters review largely falls into virtually unfalsifiable conjecture.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »

Yeah. ..reads like it was written by a 13 year old

Certainly written for 13 year-olds.
Nicko1234
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:34 AM »

A fairly positive review from Scotland:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/music/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-virgin-emi.122507257

A fairly negative review:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/album-review-brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/

Another review: 4/10

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/brian_wilson-no_pier_pressure

Yet another: 3.8/10

https://audiosprawl.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/

One review from popmagazine: 2.5/5 (Though it states that the official review is 4/5)

http://pop-mag.com/2015-04-07/review-brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/

From American Songwriter: 3/5

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/04/brian-wilson-pier-pressure/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:10:16 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 01:26:34 AM »

"Likewise, SMiLE dealt largely with teenage romance"

What...
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2015, 02:11:47 AM »

Are you both as un-educated and ill-informed about Brian and his career as the author?
No, not un-educated and ignorant about Brian's career at all - and having seen the debunking of some of the inaccuracies in the article, I concede I may have read and commented a bit hastily.
However, the first couple of listens to NPP have failed to convince me that this album is some amazing return to pop genius form for Mr Wilson, and that I'm supposed to like it just because other board members do.
Nicko1234
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 04:26:23 AM »

Three pretty positive reviews:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/udiscover-reviews-brian-wilsons-no-pier-pressure

http://state.ie/album-reviews/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/apr/08/record-reviews/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:31:59 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2015, 04:32:56 AM »

Always Mr Wilson... A coincidence? I think not...

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »

I'm not one of your musical nerds who keeps up with  every single historical fact ( although I know more than my share ).
IT'S THE MUSIC THAT MATTERS to me, Sir. And I agree that this album doesn't compare to his early work. People like you have lowered
the bar when it comes to Brian's music which is fine but I haven't. That's my right , Sir. His genius doesn't show in this album.
  I have been following Brian since I was ten years old.. My father took me to my first Beach Boys concert ( with The Buffalo Springfield and Strawberry Alarm Clock ) in '68 when I was 13. His music in his peak years is part of my DNA. I have been a professional artist my whole life ( Artist- Painter and musician- composer ) with my share of awards so I know a thing or two about creativity and that's what I look for in Brian's music. I appreciate the fact like anyone else that Brian is still making music. It's amazing..... but, I am not going to lie about the way I feel about it.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »

Guess no one is too particularly fond of "Runaway Dancer".  It does stand out a little when compared to the rest of album, but on its own terms, it's really not that bad.  If this were a Capital Cities track with Brian guesting, I'm guessing it would probably be better received.  I was skeptical of the song at first but have grown fond of it. 

Actually a LOT of people have commented that it is right up their with their favorite. My Daughter (she's only 7) could not stop dancing to it last night. She loves plenty of great classic Beach Boys and that hooked her.

And that moron review with the snide remark about Kasey Musgraves and a top 40 type song...well that's just awful...God forbid Brian Wilson would lower himself to the masses in an attempt at some radio play. I hope the hell it is a top 40 hit. I hope it hits the top 10.

And anyone that thinks On The Island is a "horrid ...you will hear it on a Sandals commercial" is an absolute uninformed ass that knows nothing about music and should climb back into their Grandpa's spare bedroom where they belong.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx