gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:04:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if....  (Read 5497 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »

What if Endless Summer never happened? Without the nostalgia craze to boost their careers the Beach Boys had pretty much run out of steam. After Holland they had pretty much given up on recording. So what if they had broken up in 1974 and Holland had been the last Beach Boys album?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »

They would've at least went out on an upswing. Maybe not sales-wise, but as far as quality goes.

However, one must think about what would've happened to Brian. After all, the real impetus for getting him help was really to make money off of him due to the renewed interest ES brought. Without that, he might have died.

Or... Carl and Dennis may have joined up with him and helped him; Dennis might have been better off,too. I will say this...eventually Mike would've tried to get replacements for the Wilson brothers and toured as a nostalgia act. So really the same thing would've happened,only a lot sooner.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

To me the main thing that separates the Beach Boys from all other rock groups, is that the Beach Boys would not break up, no matter what.

MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:05 AM »

I think Brian and Dennis would not have gone downhill as badly, and I also think The Beach Boys would be held in the same esteem as The Beatles. I truly wish this would have happened
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 04:34:36 AM »

What if Endless Summer never happened? Without the nostalgia craze to boost their careers the Beach Boys had pretty much run out of steam. After Holland they had pretty much given up on recording. So what if they had broken up in 1974 and Holland had been the last Beach Boys album?

I think ES is one reason why they gave up on recording. If ES didn't happen, they would have recorded more albums.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:51:12 AM »

I think Brian and Dennis would not have gone downhill as badly, and I also think The Beach Boys would be held in the same esteem as The Beatles. I truly wish this would have happened

That's how I feel. The Beach Boys carried on after it was no longer natural for them to be together. They forced it to go on I guess because they couldn't think of other ways to make money.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »

I think ES is one reason why they gave up on recording. If ES didn't happen, they would have recorded more albums.

They actually recorded 6 more albums in that 10 year period; really the only long stretch without an album was between KTSA and BB85, and that was after Dennis died. I think it should read "...would have recorded better albums." Really, giving Brian the reigns for 15BO was a huge mistake.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »

They actually recorded 6 more albums in that 10 year period; really the only long stretch without an album was between KTSA and BB85, and that was after Dennis died. I think it should read "...would have recorded better albums." Really, giving Brian the reigns for 15BO was a huge mistake.

Yep, you're right. "better" should be in there instead of "more". But you probably know what I meant

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »

Why would the non-existence of "Endless Summer" have resulted in the Beach Boys having as good or better a reputation as the Beatles?  And why would they have recorded more and/or better selling albums minus ES?  I don't think either would be true.  It just gave them a longer life and a bigger audience than Sha Na Na.  If ES hadn't existed, Capitol would have issued some other greatest hits compilation, I'm sure, to capitalize on the nostalgia craze that peaked with "American Grafitti" and "Happy Days."  The Beach Boys already were building an audience as an oldies act prior to ES; that album built upon that.  And as Brian said in the mid-70s, Beach Boys albums of newer material weren't selling "diddly whomp."  ES was just marketing genius, and I'm sure none of the Beach Boys would have changed a thing about it, even Brian.  Apart from some tracks here and there and the ugly cover art, though even that worked.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 11:29:16 PM »

The exisitence of Endless Summer wasn't what made problems it was the success. In 1973 their auidences were mainly college crowds by 1978 they were playing county fairs. Why? because of their image. Their past was respected in 1973 but  who they were currently was too. Ok they didn't sell to the tenn set anymore but why should they have been aiming for that anymore.  Holland, and Surf's Up sold quite well and I still recall the heartbreak of a fan who told me how much respect was lost by critics when they went into the oldies groove. It's when oldies became the focuss that they died, when they presented their whole career they were fabulous. The Nov 1993 shows how it could have and should have been. The real Beach Boys died with Murry.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 03:15:45 AM »

And why would they have recorded more and/or better selling albums minus ES? 

Not necessarilly better selling, but better in terms of quality

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 04:18:18 AM »

No band from, what, 1962? survived.  I guess you could say the Stones did (not quite as early as the BB's though)... but really, by the early 70's, who was left still selling and doing well?

Plus; it was harder for the BB's to break up, because they were family.  I'd follow my family into nostalgia too instead of breaking up and doing our own things.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 04:47:45 AM »

I think things would've played out very similar to what actually happened, except maybe three or four years later.

I can see all of them (Brian included) trying the solo album route. And the albums (other than Dennis's) would've tanked. I think the Beach Boys have proven that they are much stronger together than apart. Dennis was the only one who could "step away" from the group and make an artistic statement.

After a couple of years without Beach Boys' touring revenue and a big record contract, the guys would probably reunite. Alimony, child support, real estate, cars, girls, boats, and drugs are very expensive.

Do you ever get the feeling that if the group had a second chance to go back and do things differently...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »

Dennis was the only one who could "step away" from the group and make an artistic statement.

I agree with most of your post, but absolutely not that statement. Brian couldn't make an artistic statement on his own? Pet Sounds was close enough to being one, and Smile would've been, too. Unless you mean at that particular time, in which case you MIGHT be right (but I still doubt it), I really think you're wrong.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »

Dennis was the only one who could "step away" from the group and make an artistic statement.

I agree with most of your post, but absolutely not that statement. Brian couldn't make an artistic statement on his own? Pet Sounds was close enough to being one, and Smile would've been, too. Unless you mean at that particular time, in which case you MIGHT be right (but I still doubt it), I really think you're wrong.

I was referring to post 1974 - if Endless Summer never happened. You would've had a better argument if you countered with Love You, which is genius. But as a solo artist, I'm still waiting for Brian's artistic statement, unless it was "Christmasey"...
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 02:18:04 PM »

Mike would have released a Celebration-like solo album wich would have a #28 single on it. Carl apparently had no new songs between 1972 and 1979 anyway. He would probably work as a producer and have teh same personal problems he had with his divorce and drugs. Brian could have been pushed by his handlers to release a personal album, kinda like Love You album but without Carl's sweetening. It would probably sell fairly well and the "Brian's back" campaign would have been direcyed by David Leaf who wouldn't have to write a book to denounce teh "parasites". Al would do the same as he's doing now, nothing. Without the Beach Boys Santa Monica studio Denis would have to clean his act to complete a solo album renting professional studios and working with a budget. He didn't make it with Bamboo, but in 75-76 he was younger and could have pulled it off.

And then they would have reunited circa 1978 to tour and record, and nothing would change.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »

I couldn't imagine there being no Love You.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 05:38:55 PM »

I was referring to post 1974 - if Endless Summer never happened. You would've had a better argument if you countered with Love You, which is genius. But as a solo artist, I'm still waiting for Brian's artistic statement, unless it was "Christmasey"...

That was my question of you--overall, or just the time frame referenced. Post '74, (i.e. no E.S.) YEs, Love You is all well and good, but I'd actually point to some of the unreleased stuff from that same era. Half of Love You, half of Adult/Child would be my argument. Toss into Love You some things like Lines and Baseball and you kick the sh*t out of Dennis' solo material.  So says I.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 07:25:59 PM »

I don't think the Beach Boys were playing the county fair circuit in 1978.  They were playing baseball stadiums, which is a heck of a lot more lucrative than the college crowd. 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »

Heresy on this board -- I think that Pacific Ocean Blue is a better album than Love You.  Deal with it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 08:52:28 PM »

Heresy on this board -- I think that Pacific Ocean Blue is a better album than Love You.  Deal with it.

Is the heresy that you think POB is better than Love You? Okay, I will deal with that heresy.

MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 01:23:20 AM »

Double heresay. Love you is one my least faves and POB is one of the best. Also don't care about $$$ earned College groups are way more musically interesting then those who play after ninth inning. Nothing personal to anyone just my opinion.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 01:39:20 AM »

Is the heresy that you think POB is better than Love You? Okay, I will deal with that heresy.

It was in response to your comment that a carefully packaged version of songs from that period from Brian would walk all over Dennis' work.  I think that many here would agree.  I commit heresy:  POB blows away anything Brian did post-Endless Summer.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »

I knew what you meant, Jeff. I was just playing around. And I obviously don't agree.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »

But as a solo artist, I'm still waiting for Brian's artistic statement, unless it was "Christmasey"...

"What I Really Want For Christmas" is Brian's best composition since "Til I Die."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx