gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:53:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Was Dennis At His Peak as a Songwriter?  (Read 3414 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

Should we view 1968-77 as a continuous long peak of creativity or were there some major highs and lows that should be distinguished?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »

What, you don't think Dennis wrote a good song after 1977?  Don't songs like Wild Situation, Baby Blue, Love Surrounds Me, and Morning Christmas count?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03:41 AM »

I'd say early 70s (71-73). I noticed that most of my favourite tracks off POB had been kicking around for a few years before the album was made.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »

68-71 with a few nice songs afterwards.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:38:54 AM »

Tricky call... when I start actually thinking about it, there's precious few DW tracks I think of as "lows". On the other hand, 1969-72 & 1975-77 are definite highs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »

CATP/Holand era for me.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:23 AM »

There are clearly good moments after 1977 but I think it's well-documented that, perhaps repeating Brian's pattern, it was getting harder to complete each song he started.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but why did it take him 7 years to get from the 1970 sessions that fed into the eventual POB project to the 1976-77 bulk of POB?

AGD: "Dennis' initial - and by far the loftiest - creative peak came on the superb Sunflower"

http://www.danaddington.com/denny/pob.html

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 03:53:33 AM »

He reached his first peak around Surf's Up, but alas, those songs weren't used. Maybe that hit him hard, and I don't think he really shone on CATP/Holland. Then he reached his second peak during POB, and after that he wrote some good stuff too, but nothing THAT peaky.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »

My favorite Dennis tracks were recorded between 1969 and 1971. I don't know if that qualifies that era as his "songwriting peak".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »

Side question: personally I love "Cuddle Up" but I can see how some would have preferred it to be a chamber piece (piano, maybe a string quartet) rather than having the lush orchestration.  What are the pros and cons of its immense lushness?
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »

Not really sure he had a "peak" considering his output or input was not consistent. All I know is that it was a mistake not having 4th of July and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again on Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:41:31 AM by lostbeachboy » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »

68-73 is his prime for me. Little Bird, Sound of Free, Lady, Forever, Steamboat, My Love Lives On, the beginnings of River Song etc...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »

I struggle to think of a Dennis song i dislike... I guess Dreamer is about as close to a DW song i can say i don't overly care for, but even then there's the awesome middle section.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »

68 thru 72 and then 76/7. Little bird was great, his cuts on 20/20 and sunflower are great, and on holland. So tough not so much.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 06:56:10 AM »

To answer the question tagged above my post - circa "Celebrate the News". Then were occasional goodies but nothing special/memorable.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »

Well sh*t, if Pacific Ocean Blue isn't special or memorable then I must have lost my marbles a long time ago.

I'd say the peak was more or less continuous from 1968-78. Maybe a little dip during '73-'75, but it's hard to say since not much exists from that era that we can hear for ourselves (Rainbows, My Love Lives On and BYB are the only ones that come to mind). I'm guessing he was largely compiling ideas during that three-year period that later manifested themselves on his next one-and-a-half solo albums. Overall it was a brilliant, if largely scattered, decade of artistry.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:54:48 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »

I understand that you defend your favorite artist, but listening to POB for me went from "good" to "never listen". See, I liked some of it, still think that "River Song" is great, & I like the title track & "Rainbows". Within a short span of 4 years, I don't replay even them. So when I said "nothing special/memorable",  I referred to the current state of my opinion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »

I understand that you defend your favorite artist, but listening to POB for me went from "good" to "never listen". See, I liked some of it, still think that "River Song" is great, & I like the title track & "Rainbows". Within a short span of 4 years, I don't replay even them. So when I said "nothing special/memorable",  I referred to the current state of my opinion.
POB is much better than the stuff the Beach Boys were putting out at the time - 15BO, Love You, MIU - but I don't hear it as the masterwork that many fans do.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx