gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:47:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AllMusic Guide review of NPP  (Read 3522 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

http://www.allmusic.com/album/no-pier-pressure-mw0002760473

Apologies if this has already been posted; I can't keep up with every thread.  Review gives the album three stars. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »

Apologies if this has already been posted.

It has.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

The reviewer was not too kind in his overall view of the album.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »

It's not that bad. I like "weird" and "teetering on the precipice" so I'm not concerned.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »

Stephen Thomas Erlewine is one of the biggest numbfucks out there. For someone who has admitted to not liking BW, he sure seems to have a chubby for reviewing him.

For those who have no idea what I'm referring to... in many of his reviews he slams Brian, even in an unrelated review. Not just in artists similar to Brian, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »

The issue I have with critics and reviews like this one isn't the opinion, as opinions are as always a dime a dozen and everyone has one. But when parts of the review get into subtle/subliminal name-checking of semi-obscure artists as a frame of reference to compare, the red flags go up. I don't care if a certain song sounds a lot like an obscure Euro-pop 12" remix from 1985 that the reviewer has in his/her collection, because it feels more like that reviewer is saying "look at the cool and underground obscure records I have in my collection and can name-check on demand" rather than saying something specific to what is currently being reviewed.

Rant #1 over.

But what gets me riled up is when reviewers who hint at that route described above, yet manage to get the actual facts or perspective wrong in the actual review of the music being written about.

"On The Island" is NOT Caribbean music. Not even close. To use "Caribbean" to describe a song that many readers would not have heard is simply painting the wrong image of the song. It's Bossa Nova. Beyond that, the sounds and overall vibe of that song can be traced to specific Bossa Nova records and artists, as I described in another thread on this board.

Beyond even that, in the late 80's and early 90's a group of fans of sounds like these got more semi-mainstream attention when it got labeled "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music", a title taken from a collection of Esquivel recordings that had been repackaged and reissued and found a pretty sizable new audience of younger listeners. Up to that point there were spotty releases like the "Incredibly Strange Music" series, related books, etc. After the Esquivel release, it had a pretty decent sized revival among younger listeners, and what had been an underground, rather small cult-following scene turned into things like "Cocktail Nation", major labels going back into their vaults and issuing new comps with targeted graphics and the like, and a general revival of the Swanky-Swinging-Cocktail-Exotica type of scene.

Any reviewer worth his or her salt would be aware of these sounds and these artists, as Bossa Nova was/is a part of that scene as well. The music that was grouped under that umbrella as a sub-genre when that scene was more popular in a media-attention sense is more obvious than some of the artists name-checked in that review. But I hit on that in Rant #1.

Call it Space-Age, call it Retro Kitsch, call it what it is which is Bossa Nova of the type heard on particular 60's albums by Astrud Gilberto and Walter Wanderley for example...but do NOT call it Caribbean. Or worse yet, do NOT compare it to Jimmy Buffet, because that's factually and realistically not what it is. And it paints an image in readers' minds which simply does not represent what the music sounds like, and I find that irresponsible or lazy or both.

So name check all the obscurities under the sun, but at least get the obvious points right, especially points that someone in the position of reviewing records should know before bothering to make comparisons that aren't accurate.

And if anyone should doubt where "On The Island" is coming from as a vibe-influence beyond the Bossa roots of the music, watch that official lyric video which is ALL ABOUT the Space Age 50's-60's Retro scene in terms of visuals and props. And not by accident, Zooey Deschanel herself is a fan of those things as well and is kind of well known for being a fan of that scene.

Caribbean? No freakin way.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »

I never get it when someone who openly admits to disliking the music of someone the reviews their work and t's published. Neil Spencer in the UK is another one. Hope he doesn't get his hands on this, because I can write the review he'll write without even listening to the album
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

He spends a lot of the review saying how he doesn't like Runaway Dancer and not only that but being second it somehow messes up the rest of the album  Huh. Just because you don't like one song doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a 3* album. Think Abbey Road and Maxwell's Silver Hammer or Land of Dreams by Randy Newman and Masterman and Baby J those are just dreadful songs but it doesn't stop them being great records. I happen to love Runaway Dancer it's a far better song than either of them although it was definitely a grower. I also feel there is tendency to underrate albums by older artists to try and make it seem the stuff on the radio isn't total crap compared to that of the 60's.

I'd give NPP from what i've heard so far a solid 4/5
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »

Stephen Thomas Erlewine is one of the biggest numbfucks out there. For someone who has admitted to not liking BW, he sure seems to have a chubby for reviewing him.

For those who have no idea what I'm referring to... in many of his reviews he slams Brian, even in an unrelated review. Not just in artists similar to Brian, either.

Is he one of the new people who suddenly started posting here?  angel

BTW mods, is there any chance of getting a cheerleader emoticon here?  I see there's already one for NPP Police.  police
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:28:42 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »

I don't know about stars, but I'm a couple of tracks into it and it easily buries TWGMTR, and even* TLOS.

To many of us it could very well be the best BBs-related product since Friends. No hyperbole.

*TLOS being kind of my favourite BW solo LP.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »

After college , why read music critics anyways?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »

Is he one of the new people who suddenly started posting here?  angel

BTW mods, is there any chance of getting a cheerleader emoticon here?  I see there's already one for NPP Police.  police

LOL. I don't think he would 'lower' himself to post here...not the genius who wrote the following in a review of Red Rose Speedway.
consider this: if Brian Wilson can be praised for his half-assed ideas and execution, then why not McCartney, who has more character here than the Beach Boys did on their Brother records? Truthfully.
I notice his little bit in the middle of a review of a High Llamas album about how Brian Wilson is being 'falsely propped up by his therapists' has been removed , thankfully.  Actually, the whole thing apparently was rewritten by Richie Unterberger, so bad taste may have taken a holiday. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »

Is he one of the new people who suddenly started posting here?  angel

LOL. I don't think he would 'lower' himself to post here...not the genius who wrote the following in a review of Red Rose Speedway.
consider this: if Brian Wilson can be praised for his half-assed ideas and execution, then why not McCartney, who has more character here than the Beach Boys did on their Brother records? Truthfully.
I notice his little bit in the middle of a review of a High Llamas album about how Brian Wilson is being 'falsely propped up by his therapists' has been removed , thankfully.  Actually, the whole thing apparently was rewritten by Richie Unterberger, so bad taste may have taken a holiday. 

Was he trying to prove mental incapacity for himself to receive government benefits with these comments?  I don't think rock critics make that much money.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »

LOL. Nah, he's just a hack who got by on his uncle's fame.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »

Most of the reviews on All Music are direct reproductions of reviews by the hacks at Rolling Stone, which we all know is a complete crock.  That particular reviewer has been at it at Rolling Stone and consequently on All Music for years.  He sucks moose balls.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

The review seems pretty balanced to me; some interesting observations there.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx