gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:51:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Surf School Dropouts album - 'Second Nature'  (Read 2843 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »

A few years ago I posted about the first full-lenght album by the Beach Boys-obsessed band I'm a member of, Surf School Dropouts. It was called 'Summer is a State of Mind' and came out on vinyl in 2013.

Since then we've been hard a work recording a follow-up and it's finally online. 'Second Nature', available on Bandcamp, itunes and Amazon as of today. It should be up on Spotify and other stream-services shortly.

https://surfschooldropouts.bandcamp.com/album/second-nature

I hope some of you guys will check it out and let me know what you think. The album is shock-full of harmonies and original songs with a heavy Beach Boys slant or a nod towards other types of classic pop. We've branched out a bit compared to the debut so there's an attempt at a Motown song (Wonderful Ride), a bit of exotica (Lanikai), beatleseque Power Pop (Should Have Known Better) etc.

Looking back, it's cool to have recorded two albums now with some of my best friends. We basically just started out harmonizing on Beach Boys classics for the fun of it so it's satisfying to see that this initial inspiration led us towards coming up with and releasing our own stuff....

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »

Here's a link for a video to one of the songs off the album, 'Coastline Cruisin'

Check out the short, but effective guitar solo. It's played by none other than Probyn Gregory who was nice enough to help us out on this track.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqT0KDV-Shs

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:42:26 AM »

Dejligt!

Nice songs, keep up the good work!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »

Thanks.

Jared's post about his forthcoming album spurned me to post our own album cover for 'Second Nature'. Not as attention grabbing as his but it'll have to do.  Grin

zachrwolfe
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:36:17 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:54:54 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »

Awesome artwork! You guys nailed the early BB's sound on "Destination Sunshine" while bringing your own musicality to it. Love the soul vibes of "Wonderful Ride". Overall job well done guys - very solid work!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:06 AM »

Thanks Zach and Seltaeb. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased at how the cover turned out.

First review in; 5 out of 5 at www.beachboys.com

"Banjos, vibraphones, jangling twelve-string guitars, saxophones are all featured, and sweet ethereal vocals swirl and tickle throughout.  While not strictly in the Beach Boys mold, their music more strongly resembles the melodic singer-songwriter Andrew Gold (who was himself a die-hard Beach Boys fan), but with a far richer harmonic element wedded to their sound. (...)
Surprising chord progressions, inventive and ear-catching instrumental touches, and incredibly gorgeous harmonies make this album a fantastic pick for Beach Boys fans looking for something fresh and new to dive into."

http://www.beachboys.com/relatedV.html#SN

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx