-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Coca Cola goes too far...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coca Cola goes too far...  (Read 10948 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »

Vanilla Coke was nasty. Coke with Lime was good. I could live with Coca-Cola Blak (the Coke-coffee hybrid). THIS, however, just screams bad idea...

LOL

Obviously a fake, but I still lol'd. The things people send me via email...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 05:53:15 PM »

EDIT - I only wanted Billy C to see my comment.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:55:05 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »

I'm waiting for the day when someone decides to blow a load in a can of Coca-Cola and call it Coca-Cola With Spunk. Literally and figuratively.

Bwahahahaha....

I dunno...there are some BAD ideas floating around right now. There's been a rumor floating around the Crystal Pepsi may be making a comeback...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »

I dunno...there are some BAD ideas floating around right now. There's been a rumor floating around the Crystal Pepsi may be making a comeback...

Remember that mutant form of Coca-Cola that came out years ago, with the "new" flavour? It lasted about 10 seconds before the public demanded the old flavour back.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »

Remember that mutant form of Coca-Cola that came out years ago, with the "new" flavour? It lasted about 10 seconds before the public demanded the old flavour back.

Oddly enough, Coke Classic is actually NOT the same forumla as the original coke. Classic uses high fructose corn syrup, while the original just used sugar.

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »

Merchandise 7X — the “Coca-Cola” formula — has remained a mystery to the outside world since its invention in 1886. To preserve Merchandise 7X’s secrecy, the Coca- Cola Co. keeps the written version in a security vault at the Trust Co. Bank in Atlanta. The vault can be opened only by resolution from the Coca Cola Co.’s board of directors. Only two people in the company may know the formula at any one time, and only those individuals may oversee the formula’s actual preparation. The Coca-Cola Co. refuses to disclose the identity of those two people, or to allow them to fly on the same airplane at the same time.

The Coca-Cola Co. regards Merchandise 7X as so secretive that it has never disclosed the formula outside the company. In fact, the company chose not to do business in India, passing up a market of more than a half-billion people, because the Indian government demanded disclosure of the formula as a condition of doing business there. The company also chose to disobey a court order requiring it to disclose Merchandise 7X to one of its bottlers as part of discovery in a lawsuit, and suffered judicial sanctions as a result. (See Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Shreveport v. The Coca-Cola Bottling Co.) Merchandise 7X and the COCA-COLA trademark are the Coca-Cola Co.’s most valuable assets.

Courts have called Merchandise 7X “the paradigmatic trade secret — one of the best-kept secrets in the world.” (Magellan International Corp. v. Salzgitter Handel GmbH.)

http://www.corporatelogo.com/articles/441branding.html

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »

Thanks for the info, brother. Speaking of original formulas, it seems I'm not the only one to complain about the substitution of corn sweetener for syrup in "old" (now "classic") Coke.

I have here a full page ad placed by the Sugar Association, a trade group, that mentions an organization called the Old Cola Drinkers of America. At a 1985 press conference the OCDA lambasting Coke for not restoring sugar to their product when they came out with Classic Coke.

The leader of the group is quoted as saying, "It is not the original formula; it is not the Coke of my youth." The ad goes on to claim that the use of sugar substitute contributed to Coke's decline in market share in the early 80s.

I never heard of the Old Cola Drinkers before, and for all I know they're on the payroll of the sugar barons. But I'm totally in accord with their sentiments. For what it's worth, you can still get Coke made with sugar in parts of Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, and Europe.

--CECIL ADAMS

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_033.html

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:54:21 PM »

I wish I was old enough to remember what it tasted like...

edit

the one with real sweetener, not cocaine lol

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »

The whole thing...

Cecil replies:

Depends on your definition of fibbing, Felipe. But here, let me tell the whole sordid tale.

Coke was originally formulated in 1886 by one John Styth Pemberton, an Atlanta druggist and former Confederate army officer. Among other things it contained (and presumably still contains) three parts coca leaves to one part cola nut.

The new soft drink was one of many concoctions in that era containing cocaine, which was being touted as a benign substitute for alcohol. Coke, in fact, was promoted as a patent medicine, which would "cure all nervous afflictions--Sick Headache, Neuralgia, Hysteria, Melancholy, Etc...."

How much cocaine Coke actually contained and how much kick you got from it is not known (a Coke spokesman today says the amount was "trivial"). But for years Southerners called the stuff "dope" or "a shot in the arm," while soda fountains were called "hop joints" and Coke delivery trucks "dope wagons."

In the 1890s, however, public sentiment began to turn against cocaine, which among other things was believed to be a cause of racial violence by drug-crazed blacks. In 1903 the New York Tribune published an article linking cocaine with black crime and calling for legal action against Coca-Cola.

Shortly thereafter Coke quietly switched from fresh to "spent" coca leaves (i.e., what's left over after the cocaine has been removed). It also stopped advertising Coke as a cure for what ails you and instead promoted it simply as a refreshing beverage.

Does the substitution of denatured coca for The Real Thing constitute a change in the magic Coke formula? Not according to Coke.

The true source of Coke's unique flavor, the company contends, lies not in the coca/cola combination but in the special mix of oils and flavorings added thereto, including the mysterious ingredient known as Merchandise 7X.

The formula is kept in a bank vault and known to only a handful of Coke employees (and of course at least one other person--but I'll never tell). It was this formula that Coke changed when it introduced the infamous New Coke, replacing Merchandise 7X with an updated Merchandise 7X-100.

There are those who say that Asa Candler, who bought the infant Coke company from Pemberton, tinkered with the formula a bit before settling on a version that he liked; and these folks claim that the formula thus cannot truly be said to be 99 years old. Others regard this as contemptible nitpicking.

Still, whatever may be said about the formula, Coke's taste has certainly altered over the years. The most radical (and to serious Coke aficionados, most upsetting) change came in 1980, when Coke, in an effort to control costs, permitted its bottlers to substitute high-fructose corn sweetener for the beet and cane sugar once used in the product.

The result was that Coke's previously crisp and bracing taste was sadly blunted. For that reason I didn't share the feelings of the fanatics who stocked up on "old" Coke when the new version was first introduced. The regrettable fact is that Coke hasn't been It for many years.

MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:07 AM »

Coke with real Vanila tastes good (and gives you a little buzz)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »

Well of course; vanilla extract contains alcohol. Never actually tried that, though....thanks for the idea!

carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »

I have really never liked Coke, or Pepsi, I am a Dr. Pepper gal.   That crystal pepsi was just too freaky.  Do they still make shasta anymore?  I haven't seen it, the cherry cola was good and that tiki punch stuff.

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »

I love Dr Pepper Berries & Cream.

I haven't seen Shasta in a while, either.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 10:53:07 PM »

Mmm, bacon.. I actually thought that was real and got really excited. Sad

I drink TaB.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »

I like the high soda's like Stewerts or boylan. I especally like the cola made without corn syrup with real suger
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »

Stewarts has the best ginger ale, bar none.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:39 AM »

There is a Dr Pepper Bottling company somewhere in the south that still uses cane sugar.  I think it is the original Dr Pepper plant.  I saw a documentary on TV.  Seems some folks come from afar to get the original Dr Pepper.

I remember drinking coke as a child and it tasted different.  The taste was more distinctive and the carbonation seemed stronger.  Maybe my senses are dulled with age, but I think the product is less than it once was.
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 11:20:18 AM »

I remember drinking coke as a child and it tasted different.  The taste was more distinctive and the carbonation seemed stronger.  Maybe my senses are dulled with age, but I think the product is less than it once was.

It did taste different, it wasn't as sweet as it is now and there was alot more carbonation.  I think that's why I didn't like Coke much was because about 3 drinks and the bubbles went up my nose and stung.

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 11:21:51 AM »

This is seen as one of the greatest marketing failures of all time, but it is actually a work of SHEER MARKETING GENIUS. Let me explain.

So pre-all-that, Coke was a popular beverage. People loved the flavor, and the product was made with real sugar. It was, however, expensive to the Coca-Cola corporation. They wanted to move to a corn syrup-based formula, but felt that people would react poorly to the new formula as opposed to the old one.

So they brought out new Coke. They kept the New Coke on the market for just as long as it took for all the OLD Coke to disappear from grocery store shelves. All the while, the company was derided -- the new stuff tasted terrible, DELIBERATELY. It was only meant to be a temporary solution anyway, and the company figured the hit to their image wasn't irreperable. BECAUSE...

...then they brought back the "classic Coke" formula, but this time WITH CORN SYRUP INSTEAD OF SUGAR. After spending so much time drinking the deliberately awful "New Coke," this "classic Coke" was a massive improvement, adn the public ate it up, myself included. But what we didn't notice, because there was *nothing left on the shelves to compare it to* was that it didn't taste like old Coke at all.

GENIUS. Sheer genius. They were able to switch to corn syrup with the public being none the wiser.

Don't believe me? Try a can of Classic Coke next to a bottle of coke from Mexico, where they still use real sugar to bottle with. NIGHT AND DAY. Or, well, night and a different part of night.
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »

COOL
I am going to NM in a few weeks, they sell the coke bottled in Mexico there at some stores, I am going to buy some and check it out!

At any rate, nothing beats a soft drink out of a fountain vs one from a can or bottle. 

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 05:30:10 PM »

Jon, this story seemed too good to be true, and it may well be.  Snopes has commented on it:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

And Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

So beware -- that may just be a good story.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »

I still think its true.

If only for the fact that I figured out the conspiracy on my own without ever reading about it anywhere, and THEN figured out other people believed the same thing!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 12:58:39 AM »

For the Pepsi view of all this, read "The Other Guy Blinked", (co-) written by Roger Enrico, then a big wheel in Pepsi and directly involved. 'Course, it has a mild bias.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 08:27:46 AM »

Everything is less than what it once was.

When recently in Mexico, I tried the Coke, hoping to taste some revelatory difference. Nope. I can't tell any difference between U.S., Canadian, and Mexican Coke. You'd think that with worldwide product consistency being very important, and understanding of food chemistry being what it is these days, making a product taste the same in three countries should be a snap (possible catering to local tastes notwithstanding.)

The one local ingredient in a soft drink would have to be water. I guess they completely filter it, then possibly 'remineralize' it to make it the same around the world. Then take some of it, call it 'Dasani' or 'Aquafina', then sell it to us for the same as what we'd pay for it with syrup and carbonation. Fine with me - I've got more money than I know what to do with anyways (place tongue-in-cheek emoticon here.)

I read awhile back that in some totally blind tastings, wine fanciers could not tell the difference between red and white wine. If one cannot differentiate between those, then sussing out regional differences in a soft drink must be a tall order, no?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: