gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure (board member reviews)  (Read 119019 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

Has anyone listened to it on vinyl yet? I listened to it this morning and I'm really having a problem wrapping my head around the track order on the LP version. Nothing at all like the CD versions.

Terry - I think someone reviewed the vinyl version early in the thread - it was at least somewhere on SS!  Sorry I'm not more helpful, I'm just a bit too busy to be a researcher here.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »

Pre-ordered on Amazon, they say it hasn't shipped yet but estimated delivery is Tuesday. First time pre-ordering anything from Amazon, anyone know how it goes?

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »

Must say, am seriously unimpressed by their pre ordering at Amazon UK. Items not turning up on release dates....but three, four days later. Having made it practice since 1964 to get BB/BW releases on first day, I am lamenting record shops .......not for the first time. Anyone care to autograph my downloads....oh, wait.......
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »

Just like Jesus, it's almost like Brian is being brought (once again) back to life with his music and No Pier Pressure. Exciting times ahead. Much symbolism regarding the time of Spring and Brian's themes lamented in the album.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2015, 11:50:15 AM »

Currently on the last tracks of 1st time listening. At the least, better than the preview tracks anticipated.

Kind of a LA/late 70s vibe at some points. "Half moon bay" is one of the most Bacharachian (?) tracks of Brian's entire ouvre.

Shame there's no track-by-tracks credits (of course, they can always be innacurate, a la TWGMTR)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »

Must say, am seriously unimpressed by their pre ordering at Amazon UK. Items not turning up on release dates....but three, four days later. Having made it practice since 1964 to get BB/BW releases on first day, I am lamenting record shops .......not for the first time. Anyone care to autograph my downloads....oh, wait.......

UK release date is a bank holiday, so no mail deliveries. Day before that is a Sunday.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »

After several listens, these are the songs I really like:

Whatever Happened: Possibly a future grower. I really like the overall sentiment.
On the Island: Rhyming "vacation" with "island nation" and "sand" with "tropical band" makes this one sound like Brian's lost contribution to Summer in Paradise. I don't mind Zooey Deschanel's singing and the tune itself is really quite catchy. Downright strange vocal processing, though.
Half Moon Bay: Great stuff and somewhat unexpected, stylistically. Sounds pretty inspired.
The Right Time: This one sounds like a b-side, although a very enjoyable one.
I'm Feeling Sad: Like a subtle nod to Busy Doin' Nothing' or Adult/Child. Definitely my favorite!
Tell Me Why: Very satisfying song both in composition and performance. As others have noted, Al's voice still sounds fantastic.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2015, 04:23:50 AM »

Has anyone listened to it on vinyl yet? I listened to it this morning and I'm really having a problem wrapping my head around the track order on the LP version. Nothing at all like the CD versions.

Terry - I think someone reviewed the vinyl version early in the thread - it was at least somewhere on SS!  Sorry I'm not more helpful, I'm just a bit too busy to be a researcher here.

Yes, I think one of the first reviews here was going from the vinyl version - which according to Amazon Germany will be released here in three months. I beg your pardon, Capitol Records?!?!?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »

Ontor already posted this link from the 4/4 LA Times article on L&M , but since it had a few paragraphs about Kacey Musgraves's presence on NPP, I thought it deserved a link in this thread too.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-20150404-story.html#page=1

Kacey's comment:  "He would not accept mediocre as an answer — not that I feel I'm a mediocre singer. But today there are a lot of producers and other people who will say 'That's fine — we can tune it later if it's not perfect.' Not Brian — he wanted it perfect."

Kacey's likely not a SS Board member, granted - but she certainly "reviews" Brian and herself and addresses the auto-tunafish issue.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:37:45 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »

Bank holiday Monday---no news there.

Amazon could PREPARE and arrange so that releases land on release date. The date does not mean that is when they should start to handle it..

Holiday Huh?  I took positive action. Cancelled the Amazon £18.99  and walked in TODAY , bought in a real, live record shop for £12.99. De luxe.   If crtic had read my item , it referred to previous purchases, just as late.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »

Kacey's comment:  "He would not accept mediocre as an answer — not that I feel I'm a mediocre singer. But today there are a lot of producers and other people who will say 'That's fine — we can tune it later if it's not perfect.' Not Brian — he wanted it perfect."

Kacey's likely not a SS Board member, granted - but she certainly "reviews" Brian and herself and addresses the auto-tunafish issue.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/04/brian-wilson-on-the-beach-boys-rivalry-with-the-beatles-and-flying-solo.html

"Wilson explains of the production methods used in the making of No Pier Pressure. “We can cut and paste things and go in and pitch correct something with the computer if the note is flat. I wish we had that in the 60s! It was awesome.” "
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2015, 09:03:27 AM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/04/brian-wilson-on-the-beach-boys-rivalry-with-the-beatles-and-flying-solo.html

"Wilson explains of the production methods used in the making of No Pier Pressure. “We can cut and paste things and go in and pitch correct something with the computer if the note is flat. I wish we had that in the 60s! It was awesome.” "

Take it up with Kacey, then.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »

I'd rather take it up with Brian...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »

Ummmm... define "take it up"... Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

There we have it! It was Brian all along, not Joe!

"Don't worry Al, I'll autotune it later!"
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »

I'd rather take it up with Brian...

What's controversial about pitch correction? Everyone does it.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

I wonder if there are people that get furious about ring modulation or flanging.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »

Thank God they did not have that sort of digital pitch correction in the 1960s. Imagine Carl Wilson's iconic performance of God Only Knows altered this way in order to make it sound "perfect". I'm not a purist when it comes to studio technology and still I think for the style of music made by BW there must be more tasteful/subtle techniques in order to improve/alter a vocal performance.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2015, 09:58:44 AM »

There we have it! It was Brian all along, not Joe!

"Don't worry Al, I'll tunafish it later!"

Sounds like that ol' prankster Brian was just giving Musgrave the business asking her to do take after take until the notes were just right. I'll bet he wasn't even recording her; just sitting in the booth laughing his ass off, saying "Let's try it one more time" over and over again.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »

Thank God they did not have that sort of digital pitch correction in the 1960s. Imagine Carl Wilson's iconic performance of God Only Knows altered this way in order to make it sound "perfect". I'm not a purist when it comes to studio technology and still I think for the style of music made by BW there must be more tasteful/subtle techniques in order to improve/alter a vocal performance.

One might gather from Brian's comments, along with Kacey's and Zooey's, that he doesn't use pitch correction when the singer is capable of singing the song as written.  And he has them do several takes, even if their pitch is good in most instances.  So it's doubtful he'd have used pitch correction on himself, or Carl, or Al, given what one can glean from these various interviews.  No need to fret at this late date.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »

I wonder if there are people that get furious about ring modulation or flanging.

Can we pitch correct the smarm out of your posts? The quote clearly states that he uses it for masquerading a 'flat' vocal, and not for any subversive artistic purposes like so many on this forum had suggested.

What's controversial about pitch correction? Everyone does it.

Ottotune is pitch correction, but pitch correction is not ottotune. In that quote, Brian seems to be speaking more about manual pitch correction, which is judged on a case-by-case basis if we're talking personal taste, but generally shouldn't be part of the mixing process of a rock and roll record. (Unless we're making adult contemporary schlock).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »

Good luck trying to enforce your standards on " rock and roll records." I'll keep my smarm and mild contempt in place, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:05:35 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »

Not a review, just an initial reaction. I'm on my 4th listen through and I still have no firm opinion. The album as a whole is starting to pull into focus but I've not got a handle on it yet. With me this is usually a good thing. By the 10th time through I should have formed my view.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »

One might gather from Brian's comments, along with Kacey's and Zooey's, that he doesn't use pitch correction when the singer is capable of singing the song as written.  And he has them do several takes, even if their pitch is good in most instances.  So it's doubtful he'd have used pitch correction on himself, or Carl, or Al, given what one can glean from these various interviews.  No need to fret at this late date.

I guess you're right, sounds reasonable. Maybe I just wish the overall vocal sound was a bit different on Brian's more recent work. A matter of taste I guess.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »

In any case I think it might be interesting if someone with enough insight/knowledge wrote a non-judgmental/chronological article about the different varieties of vocal processing employed on BB/BW records over the years, from speeding up tape to the 80s stuff to the recent use of digital pitch correction.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx