gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:33:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure (board member reviews)  (Read 118611 times)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »

I give it 4 stars.

Is that 4/4 stars or 4/5 stars?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »

TWGMTR doesn't sound like Imagination. And NPP doesn't sound like either.

If one actually bothers to listen to Brian's solo output, the latest albums sound a lot less like Imagination and a lot more like the records he recorded in the oughts.

The biggest difference? Joe gets Brian writing new songs, many of which are excellent.

Joe learns. So does Brian.
Exactly, and isn't it interesting that Brian's best vocals occur when Joe is co-producing.  Brow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:28 AM »

If Brian never records with anyone other than Joe, then so be it. I have absolutely no issues with JT...

I'd get your hearing seen to, were I you. That or you actually like tuna fish.

[edit: cute...  Grin]

Rather comical coming from one who's hearing has taken a dump as of late. Tuna fish? Sure, as long as it's done tastefully as Joe and Brian have done on NPP. But you would know better than
them, huh?  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 07:53:50 AM »

If Brian never records with anyone other than Joe, then so be it. I have absolutely no issues with JT...

Rather comical coming from one who's hearing has taken a dump as of late. Tuna fish? Sure, as long as it's done tastefully as Joe and Brian have done on NPP. But you would know better than
them, huh?  Roll Eyes

Agreed … hearing no objectionable manipulation yet even though we're so far listening to sub-par audio sources, which usually exaggerate such effects (to my ears). And let's face it, we're not being held down and force fed this music… we choose to listen to it, and only a cool would subsequently opt to buy something they'd alread said they didnae like…

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 07:56:22 AM »

Maybe Brian likes working with Joe, and likes the finished product? I mean, say what you will, but Brian is clearly getting something out of the relationship. Feel free to dislike the sound, but don't presume that Brian is doing anything other than what he wants to do.

This. No Pier Pressure is Brian Wilson's album - it's what he saw fit to to release to the world. It is completely evident that Brian has gone to great lengths to make this album sound the way he wants to hear it. Kacey Musgraves, for example: "I would sing something and I would sing it seven times and he (Wilson) would say `do it again, do it again' until it was exactly perfect". It's been said by Ray Lawlor that Brian worked his ass off in the studio for this release. And as a poster intelligently pointed out in another thread, I highly doubt Joe is sneaking into the studio at night mischievously tampering with the mixes.

Risking being labelled a Pier Pressure Policeman (lol), I think people just need to take this album for what it is. If you don't like it, fine. If you like it, fine. But don't cast blame on Joe Thomas for your idea of bad production. As I was told once before, Brian has the final say on everything that he releases...given what we've been told, this is a project Brian truly cared about and put a lot of work into....don't like it? blame the man who gave you Pet Sounds.

Thanks for the review GhostyTMRS! We're now just 7 days from release!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »

I threw up reviews (not literally; the songs were actually quite the opposite of vomit-inducing) of the so-far-released songs on my Blog, http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com , and I'm also trying to keep a companion Facebook page for the blog, http://facebook.com/beachboysopinion

I still think Brian should recall the copies of "No Pier Pressure" and quickly record and add on a song based on yesterday's Twitter Q&A, possibly titled, "Send Me a Pic and I'll Tell You."

I'm probably not going to buy "On the Island" on iTunes right now; I guess at this stage I'll keep as much mystery and surprise for the album as possible.

Can someone post confirmed songwriting credits for all of the songs on the album? Curious if it's literally mostly Wilson/Thomas.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »

Regarding Brian's "old man stuff"--which I indeed like, as I become one myself--has anybody parsed which songs are left over from the "Suite" that was to originally comprise all of TWGMTR?

I say this because some of what I've heard would fit in nicely to that concept. (Necessitating a hybrid playlist once "Pier" comes out...)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »

Maybe on par with TLOS??  From what I have heard, it blows away TLOS.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

I don't think there's anything known definitively about what else might be included in the suite, with the exception of the backing track "I'd Go Anywhere," which is on the "Doin' It Again" documentary.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:32 AM »

I give it 4 stars.

Is that 4/4 stars or 4/5 stars?
4 out of 5
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »

I threw up reviews (not literally; the songs were actually quite the opposite of vomit-inducing) of the so-far-released songs on my Blog, http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com , and I'm also trying to keep a companion Facebook page for the blog, http://facebook.com/beachboysopinion

I still think Brian should recall the copies of "No Pier Pressure" and quickly record and add on a song based on yesterday's Twitter Q&A, possibly titled, "Send Me a Pic and I'll Tell You."

I'm probably not going to buy "On the Island" on iTunes right now; I guess at this stage I'll keep as much mystery and surprise for the album as possible.

Can someone post confirmed songwriting credits for all of the songs on the album? Curious if it's literally mostly Wilson/Thomas.
Joe Thomas gets a cowriting credit on all but two songs. There are occasionally other writers listed. I'll provide you with full songwriting credits later today when I'm actually sitting in front of a computer instead of speaking into an iPhone. LOL
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »

I prefer the production sound of TL OS better than what's on this record, but song for song I think there are more stronger songs on NPP than on TL OS.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »

If one actually bothers to listen to Brian's solo output, the latest albums sound a lot less like Imagination and a lot more like the records he recorded in the oughts.

The biggest difference? Joe gets Brian writing new songs, many of which are excellent.

Exactly, and isn't it interesting that Brian's best vocals occur when Joe is co-producing.  Brow

Just checking... nope, according to the credits of BWRG Thomas had precisely nothing to do with the album widely considered to showcase Brian's best vocals of his solo career. Thomas also had diddly to do with TLOS.  So, neither interesting nor accurate. Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:34:50 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »

Mike needs Joe thomas for his 2017 solo album since Joe can fix Mike's weak nasal whine on record. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

Rather comical coming from one who's hearing has taken a dump as of late. Tuna fish? Sure, as long as it's done tastefully as Joe and Brian have done on NPP. But you would know better than them, huh?  Roll Eyes

Was I talking about NPP ?  Were you ? Nope. Was I talking about the likes of TWGMTR and the utterly unlistenable C50 live album, both awash Otto Chune ? Yup. If you truly have "absolutely no issues" with those two releases, especially the latter, then your hearing is far worse than mine has or will ever be.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

I prefer the production sound of TL OS better than what's on this record, but song for song I think there are more stronger songs on NPP than on TL OS.

I just don't get the love for TLOS.  NPP is actually TUNEFUL instead of more Brian checked out, I'm being forced to do this, robotic, tuneless crap.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:34 PM »

Exactly, and isn't it interesting that Brian's best vocals occur when Joe is co-producing.  Brow

Just checking... nope, according to the credits of BWRG Thomas had precisely nothing to do with the album widely considered to showcase Brian's best vocals of his solo career. Thomas also had diddly to do with TLOS.  So, neither interesting nor accurate. Grin

Apparently you need your hand held while I walk you through this as we all know that if you didn't say it, it will be either wrong or uninteresting to you. We'll go slow so there will be no confusion because it looks like it's not just your ears that are going. My statement , the one I posted above (with me?) meant that I, yes , I,  not you or anyone else for that matter, believes, thinks, subscribes to  Whatever! the opinion that to my healthy ears, Brian Wilson's best vocals have occurred when he works with Joe Thomas. In spite of what is "widely considered" (hearsay in other words) are on Imagination and NPP. Did you get all of this? Good. Now go on your merry way.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:58:28 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »

Post that again when you've sobered up and it might make sense.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »

Post that again when you've sobered up and it might make sense.
Edited for lesser souls (like yourself) so they may partake as well.  Roll Eyes

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

AGD, back from baiting to get OSD banned. All you do on this board is bully people and rewrite history for that psycho Mike Love.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

Songwriting credits for HeyJude:

1. This Beautiful Day (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
2.  Runaway Dancer (B. Wilson and J. Thomas and S. Simonian)
3. Whatever Happened  (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
4. On The Island  (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
5. Half Moon Bay (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
6. Our Special Love (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
7. The Right Time (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
8. Guess You Had To Be There (B. Wilson and J. Thomas and A. Salgado and K. Musgraves)
9. Don't Worry (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
10. Somewhere Quiet (B. Wilson and S. Bennett)
11. I'm Feeling Sad (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
12. Tell Me Why (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
13. Sail Away (B. Wilson and J. Thomas and J. Peterik and L. Millas)
14.One Kind Of Love (B. Wilson and S. Bennett)
15. Saturday Night (B. Wilson and J. Thomas and N. Reuss)
16. The Last Song (B. Wilson and J. Thomas)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »

How'd you get it so early?

... and how'd he listen to it enough to write a review, so early?  Why review something from an artist you revere enough to be on a message board devoted to... by listening to his album once and then writing your thoughts?

Patience, Grasshoppa.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

Are you kidding? Brian Wilson albums don't come along every day. I got it in the afternoon and listened straight through over and over until 5am this morning. Then I listened to it again twice this afternoon. Patience? Why bother? I go apesh*t when Brian releases a new album.  Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »

How'd you get it so early?

... and how'd he listen to it enough to write a review, so early?  Why review something from an artist you revere enough to be on a message board devoted to... by listening to his album once and then writing your thoughts?

Patience, Grasshoppa.

I think you're just jealous

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »

Did they bring Jim Peterik back in during the NPP sessions to help with "Sail Away," or was this song written in 2012?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx