gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:14:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure (board member reviews)  (Read 119073 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »

Update for the Aussies.

They certainly snuck this one out under our noses yesterday when they dropped NPP into stores nationally.

Getmusic has the CD available and if you buy from them you can go into a draw to win a BW signed surfboard but your paying top dollar @ $24.99. JB Hi Fi have the deluxe edition (why would you buy anything else?) for $18.39.

I'll be on JB Hi Fi's doorstep at opening tomorrow morning (damm you Good Friday trading hours).

FYI: Neither Getmusic or JB have digital downloads from what I can see. If anybody can find a digital download site in Oz please advise.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

Helluva listen! After being teased for weeks/months with tracks and a live performance of some of these tunes, it's nice to dig into a radio review copy and enjoy the whole thing as it was intended. As folks have already noted, it flows really nicely and feels all of a piece. It's how BW always worked, giving lead vocals to voices he thought suited the material, doing lots of good vocal arrangements. He was never really suited to be a dynamic frontman, this is the Wilson I like... the mastermind in the back shaking his head and asking for another take to get the vocals right.

This IS a Beach Boys album, no matter how much Mike Love paid his lawyers and what stupid contracts the BRI members signed. Forget set end dates, forget Carl's estate and big fat checks... it makes Summer in Paradise look like... Summer in Paradise. It's better than "Radio" and "That Lucky Old Sun." It's better than 1985. Ok, and heresy time: I like it more than "Love You." Less tracks to skip, no Mexican Girls, no Adrian Baker dump in the center of the album, richer vocal harmonies, no nasal bleating, no raspy Bruce. MORE AL.

I don't do numbers. Reducing art to numbers, stars, or letters just seems damned weird to me.

This Beautiful Day: Astonishing to hear the first time in Vegas, BW sounded so fragile initially and then I think I levitated a bit sans-TM as he nailed it on the second take. A nice short and sweet opener, great backing vox and it sets the tone for the album: Wilsonian yearning. How can you not like those voices coming in at 1:10?

Runaway Dancer: Ok, not exactly my cup of tea despite Sebu's incredibly impressive beard. Seriously, have you seen that thing? It's a powerful beard. I liked the energy from the live version more and still giggle a bit thinking about Melinda marching up on stage and telling Sebu "you've got to cue him!" As part of the album I think I might get used to it more. Very interesting to hear Ray talking about the early version, "Talk of the Town." Would like to hear that one day, especially with Blondie buried in there. How about as an mp3 on brianwilson.com this year? Hmmm? Puppy dog eyes here. Hey, I like the dit-dit bits tho!

Whatever Happened: Could be my favorite from the album, that this isn't officially a "Beach Boys" song and the crap Love peddles at rodeos IS might be considered a bit of an injustice to those not slurping Pacifico and still grousing about Beach Boys Family and Friends. Those lyrics! More loss. More regret. Melancholy set to max, "what's going to happen to me?" Terrific harmonies.

On The Island: Jimmy Buffet? Oh f*** off, whoever said that. It's loungey bossa nova and it's gorgeous! Zooey sounds great, the organ works a treat, M. Ward tosses in some tasty guitar lines sliding around. Brian singing "drink in my hand" makes me laugh so much. Isn't it a good thing a guy in a baseball cap didn't lecture him in the studio and demand lines like that be excised and something about meditation thrown in instead? Cigarettes, too! Golly! Short and sweet, doesn't wear out it's welcome.

Half Moon Bay: I love BW in instrumental mode and this is pretty lush and relaxing. A bit Les Baxterish... I wonder if this was one of the original tracks from the Beck collaboration with Isham replacing him? In any case, I dig wordless vocals. Oooooo and ahhhhh me to sleep, Half Moon Bay.

Our Special Love: I prefer this to the earlier mix and it slots in nicely in the running order, flowing well. I'd like to hear this without the beatboxing/drum machine/whatverthatis! Great outro.

The Right Time: Keeping it clean with Al Jardine, this would've fit right into "Radio" and damn... he sounds good. How does this man sound so good? He may drink the blood of children or something, so somebody better keep an eye on this Al Jardine guy. Who knows what he gets up to in Monterey. The production is a bit slick and 90s VH1ish, but those wonderful harmonies and BW's "not this time!" make it work for me.

Guess You Had To Be There: I had no idea who Kacey Musgraves was but damn, this is one catchy song. Love the Probyning on this track, twangity twang twang! BW on the chorus is amazing. Hey, remember when I mentioned sticking "Talk of the Town" on brianwilson.com? Do the same thing for the original Al Jardine lead vocal on this as a Christmas present or something. Not that she doesn't do a good job, but I can't get enough of that guy in the white suit.

Don't Worry: It opens like a bad local news show and the synth brass sounds a bit hideous. This one I am glad was on the deluxe edition and I just can't stand the production. The verses with BW sound ok and the soaring chorus is catchy, but it definitely sounds like a big mullet. A big nasty mullet. Maybe I'll like it more eventually, but right now that guitar noise sets my teeth on edge. "Runaway Dancer" I think I'll grow to like more but this will be the one deleted from playlists. They can't all be winners!

Somewhere Quiet: So I take it these are Scott Bennett lyrics to "Summer Means New Love?" Well fuckin' great job, Scott Bennett. "Surrounded, but I'm still alone." Scott definitely knows the big guy.  It works very well, turns a familiar decades-old melody into a song that fits very nicely into this album. There's that Al Jardine sounding pristine! Once the auto-tuna fad dies down, maybe we should just al-jardine everybody's vocals. Really fits in with the theme of the album and should have been on the regular edition.

I'm Feeling Sad: Only Brian Wilson would come out with a song titled "I'm Feeling Sad." How can I not love lyrics about him sitting in an easy chair and throwing away the newspaper, going to the grocery store and forgetting why he did? Slather on the bop-pahs to wrap it up and I'm happy.  Should have been on the regular edition as well...  

Tell Me Why: Al exploding at 1:07, wow. This is a really good Beach Boys album, isn't it? Brian sounds great, he's clearly putting in so much work with his vocals these days and singing in his range and super sweetly.

Sail Away: Blondie Chaplin! Jesus, that guy. What a powerhouse. So glad they added him to the tour this year, it was my whiny demand on this board for the last few years! He's incredible and really helps expand Brian's palette and gives him more to work with. Swapping lines with Al and Brian, this are The Beach Boys and everybody knows it. "My so-called life was spinning out of control" has been popping into my head since December. Even better live, they are really going to give this one tons more energy on the tour. BLONDIE CHAPLIN! I want to strap Steve Love to a chair Clockwork Orange-style and force him to listen to this for 12 hours or so.

One Kind of Love: Sweet, slyly simple... classic Brian. Really happy to hear it'll be added to "Love and Mercy" as was originally intended, because this is one helluva statement on the Brian/Melinda story. The idiots who attack her will never get a song like this written about them, so I can see why they'd be a mite jealous...  Amazed how good BW is sounding lately!

Saturday Night: Probyn banjoing is a wonderful production choice and makes me smile right from the start. Nate was born to sing BW and I wouldn't mind him turning up on THE ROCK AND ROLL ALBUM maybe... the kid has serious pipes and just soars. I'm not sure about the track placement, maybe it might have worked better in the "Runaway Dancer" slot and pushed as a single earlier on.

The Last Song: I was fascinated with this song way before I got the chance to hear it... wow. A stunning album closer and those lyrics will have Smiley Smile arguing for years to come. I tried to fish out some clues during the Q&A and he answered: "It's a song about the last time - not the happiest lyric but an interesting song." It's interesting alright, and gawd he sounds so sad and tender. The culmination of all the feelings on this album and a gorgeous ending, despite the thick Fosketty frosting. Ok, I'd prefer a Wall of Brians. But this is still gorgeous... Somebody leak the Lana Del Rey version so we can compare mixes, hmm? But it's appropriate that BW gets the last word on the last song on this killer Beach Boys album.

Hey Mike! Send me a legal threat or something for saying that, ya knob.

Cute cover by Daria Wilson wraps up the whole package nicely. Bravo evil "handlers," ya done good! Remember all the fears this would be some half-baked duets album with Brian propped up forcing to duet with hipsters and indie darlings or whatever? Turns out that was all bullshit and it's a solid piece of work from a guy we're lucky to still be getting records from, the way he ALWAYS did records... playing to various singers' strengths and tying it all together with irrepressible catchiness shot through with that particular wistful melancholy our man does best.

Capitol better do a good job pushing this and then commission THE ROCK AND ROLL ALBUM. Blondie/Al/Ricky, please.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:43:04 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »

Question for those who have heard the full album: remember that bit of music that was in the Doin' It Again special, it was mostly piano, guitar and backing vocals, sounded like something that might have been part of the Life Suite, but wasn't used in the TWGMTR album? Has that song resurfaced in NPP? Thanks Smiley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »

Update for the Aussies.

They certainly snuck this one out under our noses yesterday when they dropped NPP into stores nationally.

Getmusic has the CD available and if you buy from them you can go into a draw to win a BW signed surfboard but your paying top dollar @ $24.99. JB Hi Fi have the deluxe edition (why would you buy anything else?) for $18.39.

I'll be on JB Hi Fi's doorstep at opening tomorrow morning (damm you Good Friday trading hours).

FYI: Neither Getmusic or JB have digital downloads from what I can see. If anybody can find a digital download site in Oz please advise.

They sure did, but I folded and paid $25 at Sanity last night, based on 18/05's tip.

Re digital, both versions are on the iToons Oz site, if that floats your boat.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »

Question for those who have heard the full album: remember that bit of music that was in the Doin' It Again special, it was mostly piano, guitar and backing vocals, sounded like something that might have been part of the Life Suite, but wasn't used in the TWGMTR album? Has that song resurfaced in NPP? Thanks Smiley

I don't believe so.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »

So jealous.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »

Frankly, the blend sounds more like the BBs on No Pier Pressure than it does on TWGMTR.

As I wrote in an earlier thread, if one actually listens to the harmonies on the earlier record, you hear 99.9 percent Brian and Jeff. The other guys do cameo appearances, at best. Given the condensed time frame they had for completing the album, I strongly suspect that Mike, Bruce and Al spent a couple of days in the studio apiece, overdubbing BW solo tracks.

No Pier Pressure, on the other hand, features Al and Blondie and Matt on harmony vocals on multiple songs. You can actually hear that four-part blend of multiple voices, with multiple textures. Combined with Al and Blondie taking leads, along with the guest vocalists, and you have an album that is far more about the union of different voices, all singing at once, than TWGMTR ever was.

This is an interesting take.  I just wish it were Al, Blondie and Matt (with Brian, of course) on all of the tracks.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

Frankly, the blend sounds more like the BBs on No Pier Pressure than it does on TWGMTR.

As I wrote in an earlier thread, if one actually listens to the harmonies on the earlier record, you hear 99.9 percent Brian and Jeff. The other guys do cameo appearances, at best. Given the condensed time frame they had for completing the album, I strongly suspect that Mike, Bruce and Al spent a couple of days in the studio apiece, overdubbing BW solo tracks.

No Pier Pressure, on the other hand, features Al and Blondie and Matt on harmony vocals on multiple songs. You can actually hear that four-part blend of multiple voices, with multiple textures. Combined with Al and Blondie taking leads, along with the guest vocalists, and you have an album that is far more about the union of different voices, all singing at once, than TWGMTR ever was.

This is an interesting take.  I just wish it were Al, Blondie and Matt (with Brian, of course) on all of the tracks.

Do we know that's not the case? Ray has pointed out that Blondie is singing on Runaway Dancer, for instance.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »

we don't, and I have not heard the album yet.  My main point was that I wish there no other guest vocalists.  I will wait on making any judgments, however, until I actually hear the thing.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Postcard From Jardine
Smiley Smile Newbie

In The Court of the Crimson Sunnies

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »

Positively astonishing. This is an Al Jardine solo album through and through.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »

Stop feasting on the blood of the living to remain eternally young, Jardine!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »

Update for the Aussies.

They sure did, but I folded and paid $25 at Sanity last night, based on 18/05's tip.

Thanks for the itunes tip. Listening now. Stunning!!

That last 30 seconds of Guess Had To be There is just mind blowing, joyous, jubilant, banjo picking Wilson!!!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »

Since the early 70s I've always looked upon new albums from the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson as a one off opportunity to discover one new classic Brian song - CATP had Marcella, Holland had Sail On Sailor, MIU - My Diane, BW88 - Love and Mercy, Imagination - Lay Down Burden, GIOMY - City Blues, WIRWFC - On Christmas Day, TLOS - Midnight's Another Day, TWGMTR - Summer's Gone .... but this sucker's just brim full of classic Wilson - I'd list Runaway Dancer, On The Island, Guess You Had To Be There, I'm Feeling Sad, Sail Away and Saturday Night as worthy inductees into Brian's classics catalogue.

One of my pet hates is hearing people say "It should be a hit" and I'm not about to start laying that burden on this album but there is just so much radio friendly material on this album that its got to find a place on the airwaves over the next few months.

Once again it's a great time to be a Brian Wilson fan.

JOYFUL is the word to describe this album - even the sad songs are joyful - no need for Mr Positivity - congratulations Mr Wilson!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 06:56:46 PM »

Since the early 70s I've always looked upon new albums from the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson as a one off opportunity to discover one new classic Brian song - CATP had Marcella, Holland had Sail On Sailor, MIU - My Diane, BW88 - Love and Mercy, Imagination - Lay Down Burden, GIOMY - City Blues, WIRWFC - On Christmas Day, TLOS - Midnight's Another Day, TWGMTR - Summer's Gone .... but this sucker's just brim full of classic Wilson - I'd list Runaway Dancer, On The Island, Guess You Had To Be There, I'm Feeling Sad, Sail Away and Saturday Night as worthy inductees into Brian's classics catalogue.

One of my pet hates is hearing people say "It should be a hit" and I'm not about to start laying that burden on this album but there is just so much radio friendly material on this album that its got to find a place on the airwaves over the next few months.

Once again it's a great time to be a Brian Wilson fan.

JOYFUL is the word to describe this album - even the sad songs are joyful - no need for Mr Positivity - congratulations Mr Wilson!
Great post! And yes, no need for the Positivitator on this or any future release.  Smokin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »

should a different thread be made for negative reviews?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »

I just downloaded it for free.  Listening to it now.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »

I like Sail Away, Guess You Had To Be There and On The Island but overall don't think the songwriting is very good and it's again too soft rock/easy listening for my taste. I don't know, I really want to like it but it's just not doing it for me right now. I need to give it a good spin on headphones over the weekend.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:28:21 PM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »

Not gonna track by track but here's the deal-

This album is incredibly well made, it has a very nice consistency while also maintaining variety.

The songs are all very well done and I'd really only change a few things.

This album also features some songs I'd call classics, actually, MANY.

This Beautiful Day, The Last Song, Whatever Happened, GYHTBT, Sat Night... the list goes on...

Worth the wait. Brian's best solo album. hands down.
(BWPS is not included...) 

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »

should a different thread be made for negative reviews?
Up to you, but go nuts here if you want.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »

Further listening and I'm not going to compare NPP to Pet Sounds but what I will say is that no Beach Boys/Brian Wilson has, since Pet Sounds, been so complete in terms of quality song writing, performance and production that make the album a complete work and not just an ad hoc collection of songs.

I think Friends and Holland went some way towards attaining that status but I think NNP has come the closest to what Pet Sounds achieved as an album.

It's just one complete, high quality listen.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46:20 PM »

Further listening and I'm not going to compare NPP to Pet Sounds but what I will say is that no Beach Boys/Brian Wilson has, since Pet Sounds, been so complete in terms of quality song writing, performance and production that make the album a complete work and not just an ad hoc collection of songs.

I think Friends and Holland went some way towards attaining that status but I think NNP has come the closest to what Pet Sounds achieved as an album.

It's just one complete, high quality listen.

LIKE  Thumbs Up

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:56 PM »

This record is special.

It's not perfect. There are things I would have done differently if I were an all-powerful god of music (Brian's leads vary between amazing and a mite creaky). Some songs could have used bridges.

But. As a complete, coherent piece of work, as a pure expression of orchestral pop, it's probably one of Brian's best creations in an age -- without resorting to link tracks and "suite"-think.

As someone mentioned -- it has an excellent mix, too. Fat bass, little touches to discover throughout.

More thoughts to come.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:27:10 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »

Stop feasting on the blood of the living to remain eternally young, Jardine!

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call him "eternally young".

But he has preserved his voice wonderfully, and I think it's actually better than ever now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:46:05 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »

That's what I meant! A tragic joke misfire, unfortunately. It's ridiculous that Mike Love spent the 00s letting his feud get in the way of having Al in the band. Glad he's in the right band now!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »

Some initial thoughts:

Overall, I feel this will rank somewhere close to Imagination for me. Lots of solid if somewhat MOR compositions; some over-the-top glossy production choices; nice singing throughout and it's a treat to hear Al Jardine's voice in particular. I think Bruce Johnston's remark about the music being "age-appropriate" is remarkably accurate (which is not a bad thing, mind you, I just think it's a very fitting observation)! BW88 is going to remain my favorite BW solo record I feel. Maybe some of the new material will grow on me anyway, you never know. Right now I'd give the album 3 out of 5, which is not too bad I think. Looking forward to the rock and roll album.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:05:25 PM by phirnis » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx