gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:08:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson: The Objector  (Read 2733 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »

Wondering why Carl chose to appeal the court order for community service following his Conscientious Objector plea? Is there any detail on this? I thought a guy like Carl was down to earth enough to do at least a little bit? Missing a few dates of touring doesn't seem like a hugely valid excuse.... just curious not throwing out judgement  Smokin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:13:54 PM by SurferDownUnder » Logged
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »

As far as I know he never completed any service did he?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:53:51 PM »

Reportedly, the 4/13/69 gig at the State Penitentiary, McAlester OK was one such show.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »

In the In Concert book, it mentions that there were a few undocumented prison concerts as part of a legal ruling. Is it known if these were solo shows, or shows done by The Beach Boys?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:26 AM »

Just me guessing, probably the band.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »

Reportedly, the 4/13/69 gig at the State Penitentiary, McAlester OK was one such show.

I'm a Kiwi so I can't understand the US concept of why prisoners get free concerts from a premier band, it really confuses the hell outta me  LOL I understand the Cash shows but really they got to see Carl Wilson for free.....
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »

The BBs also hosted voter registration signups at their concerts as part of Carl's alternative service, iirc.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »

The BBs also hosted voter registration signups at their concerts as part of Carl's alternative service, iirc.

Oh that's pretty good then, something productive at least
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »

In the In Concert book, it mentions that there were a few undocumented prison concerts as part of a legal ruling. Is it known if these were solo shows, or shows done by The Beach Boys?

The show at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary included the entire band. There's lots of photos available to document that.  Can't say about the "undocumented" shows you alluded to, but I'd bet The Beach Boys were there.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »

I too was draft age in the 60s. Most guys just dreaded being drafted and being sent to Vietnam. Yes, there were exceptions, and I applaud threir commitment, but most of us guys were really worried about this. It's one of those things you would have had to live through to understand. Every night , on the news, scenes from the war. "Body counts "listed on the TV, like baseball scores. Of course, as we suspected, years later we learned that most of the numbers were fabricated. Almost everyone was scrambling to obtain a deferment. Those that weren't successful usually ended up seeing Southeast Asia, compliments of Uncle Sam.
SBonilla
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »

The show at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary included the entire band. There's lots of photos available to document that.  Can't say about the "undocumented" shows you alluded to, but I'd bet The Beach Boys were there.
I had assumed that the hospital and medical center shows (1969) were part of Carl's (and the band's) fulfillment of his public service commitments.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »

I had assumed that the hospital and medical center shows (1969) were part of Carl's (and the band's) fulfillment of his public service commitments.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention The Beach Boys played – and interacted with patients/staff – at OU Medical Center in OKC following their appearance at the Oklahoma State Prison.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx