gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:45:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do Ya-Song on Caroline Now  (Read 2832 times)
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »

Is this song on a bootleg or Brian Wilson solo album? It sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »

Is this song on a bootleg or Brian Wilson solo album? It sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.
The Honeys did it....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:49 PM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:23 AM »

Get your hands on the Honeys version, it's one of my favourite Brian songs from the 70s. The overall sound is an interesting bubblegum-country pop mix and even the classic BB falsetto tag makes an appearance.

(To me, the song sounds vaguely similar to Almost Summer, by the way.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »

"Marilyn Rovell" + "Howsabout A Little Bit (Of Your Sweet Lovin')" = "Do Ya".

First saw the light of day (ish) on a very limited pressing (like, I know of three) of a double sampler of LA music called LA Radio in 1979. Said platters also contained the original version of a Jim Steinman recital that later turned up on Meat Loaf's 1981 album Dead Ringer as "Nocturnal Pleasures".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:42:19 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »

First saw the light of day (ish) on a very limited pressing (like, I know of three) of a double sampler of LA music called LA Radio in 1979. Said platters also contained the original version of a Jim Steinman recital that later turned up on Meat Loaf's 1981 album Dead Ringer as "Nocturnal Pleasures".

Hey, Neat! Thanxx for this!!  Looks to be a neat set for the collection. Think it's supposed to be a double LP, but here's a  tracklist for one of the LPs w/ Am.Spring, Rodney, Steinman, Spector:
 http://www.discogs.com/Various-LA-Radio/release/5656576

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »

The "Caroline Now" version is one of the only recordings on that album that I don't like very much. I was surprised when I first heard the original, which is a very cool record. In fact brian did some very nice outside work during that time. One should compile an album....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »

Hey, Neat! Thanxx for this!!  Looks to be a neat set for the collection. Think it's supposed to be a double LP, but here's a  tracklist for one of the LPs w/ Am.Spring, Rodney, Steinman, Spector:

The one I had for a few years was indeed a double. Best luck in finding one, as far as I know there are more Smile booklets in existence.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »

The one I had for a few years was indeed a double. Best luck in finding one, as far as I know there are more Smile booklets in existence.

Thanks, I took care of the purchase part( it's a double)  right before posting the tracklist!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »

The "Caroline Now" version is one of the only recordings on that album that I don't like very much. I was surprised when I first heard the original, which is a very cool record. In fact brian did some very nice outside work during that time. One should compile an album....

I'd buy that album in a heartbeat! Jad Fair's version on Caroline Now is very basic and one could argue it doesn't really do the song justice. It's also sort of goofy. Personally I like it just fine but the original version is a lot better.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »

"Do Ya" is a great little song. Love the Honeys' original. Say, was Ginger still not back in the group at that time? I only hear Marilyn and Diane on the 1977-1979 recordings, but I may not be very good at distinguishing their voices yet.

Even better than "Do Ya" is "It's Like Heaven," which is, to my mind, a minor classic with a retro sixties feel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:53:38 AM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »

Ginger was back by then.

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:55:38 AM »

I actually strolled into a coffee shop a couple weeks ago and "It's Like Heaven" was playing on WFUV radio.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:54:36 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »

alright! Got the Double LP today( Thanxx AGD!!!!) 
here are the four sides: 

If there are any more obscurities you think I might be missing, Let me know so I can  try to get them...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx