gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:35:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm Feeling Sad  (Read 9284 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nsb9x

1:18:00
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

Wow love it!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »

This might be my favorite off of NPP yet.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

Great track! Busy Doin Nothin vibes all around!
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »

Loving this!  Lots.   
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »

Great song... sounds like a 60's track...
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »

That tune is a feeling many of us share when we are alone and wish the people we love were around.  Very easy to relate to that song.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »

I've been very impressed with most of the songs I've heard so far, but this one really stands out to me; it's probably my favorite so far. Most of it has to do with the fact that, as Peter pointed out, it's very relatable and emotional. I love it so much!

I'm really looking forward to "Whatever Happened." I think that one's going to be absolutely stellar as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:20:00 PM by The Dumb Angel » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »

What's up with the BBC getting first shot at these songs?  Where's Rodney Bingenheimer when you need him?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »

It is a little peculiar that they keep premiering all this stuff in Europe, maybe they just have better radio programs over there?  Surely there's somebody running something somewhere in the U.S. (besides Ryan Seacrest) who could play this stuff live.  With that said though, not in my city, there's no live DJ's that are worth a crap.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »

Well, we know Brian (and the Boys) have always been received better in the UK, right? [Hint of sarcasm in my voice].

Who's idea is this really. Brian's people/label? Does the UK get the jump with the pre-release promo goods before the U.S. on purpose?  Does Brian like them best or do the radio stations over here have their heads up their butts?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »

I don't think there's a lot of radio interest here in the United States for legacy artists. When's the last time you heard new McCartney / Dyan / etc. on a non-NPR radio show? Just the direction of the business.

Frankly, I doubt the record is going to sell that well here -- it's languishing in the Amazon sales charts, and I'm not seeing a promo blitz. The reviews are polite, but not glowing. Too bad, given how great the record itself seems to be.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »

I like it.  Bouncy rhythm and catchy tune with on target sad/day in the life lyrics (I can remember times I avoided my house because of loneliness).  The wordless vocal part reminds me of The Association (in a good way) and the subject matter reminds me of "Where Is She?"  

This will be one heck of an album.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:10:48 AM by Les P » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »

I think you're right on all counts, Wirestone.  It's unfortunate the way the music business has been going.  I'm sure Ringo's new album isn't faring any better.....

kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »

BW and BB albums also tend to fare considerably better on the charts in Europe, I think.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »

I'm really surprised NPR hasn't started eating up these tracks!

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »

File under "BW (slice-of-life)".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »

This one's a cracker, definitely gonna go on my ultimate playlist.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »

This is great and I love it, much more so than The Last Song which tips over into over-reverbed Celine Dion schmaltz to me: but what is with the Beach Boys callbacks? Yeah, I know, he's Brian [insert expletive of choice here] Wilson, and he wrote Pet Sounds, so he gets to quote whatever he [repeat expletive of choice here] likes musically; but I found it distracting as all hell that Sail Away is as good as it is (I got good-old-fashioned Brian Wilson chills down my spine listening to the final vocal coda the other day)... but then the Sloop John B flute riff keeps bashing me over the head, especially at the end. And now here; this track is a beautifully performed little gem, but the Kiss Me Baby backing vocals keep floating in, as one poster has already noted in one of the other threads.

These tracks are good enough. They're really, really good, freshly written and beautifully performed, and Brian sounds like he's having a blast and singing to match. They don't NEED the musical equivalent of the irritating Nudge-Nudge man from Monty Python waving a giant luminous plastic hand on a stick and going "THERE you go!!! It's Brian Wilson, by the way, folks!! *HEE* was in the Beach Boys, you know. Sayyyy nooooo MOH-WAH!!!!!"

I mean, people bash Mike for always quoting Fun Fun Fun or Good Vibrations in his latter-day lyrics, but this is almost as bad, except done musically, which makes it slightly more subtle (and I guess you'd have to be a fan to notice).

It's an improvement over the call-backs in Smart Girls, I'll give you that. I just wish they weren't there at all. The songs and the performances are strong enough without them IMHO...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:26:39 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »

Happy music about being sad… slice of life… wall of Brians…

What is there not to like? Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:13 PM »

Well, as noted above John - extremely unsubtle musical callbacks to past back-catalogue triumphs!

All that said, this is quite clearly Brian's strongest solo album since... well, probably ever, I reckon. And I think that's probably quite a safe judgement to call now, with nearly half the tracks in the Public Domain. With the film this year and a new release this strong, I'm sure he will pick up some new fans in 2015. It was a film about Brian that did it for me back in 1995...

Me, I was always going to buy this record anyway, but there's more than enough strong stuff here to justify the price of admission, even if the over-sheeny production cheeses me off on a few tracks. It's great to hear Brian still smashing it at his age. We're unbelievably lucky in that respect.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:43:48 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 12:14:18 AM »

A nice track.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »

An interesting little song, reminds me of Sweet Insanity or Adult/Child in a way.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:20 AM »

Best song off the album so far. Fuckin' killer! AC AOR WHATEVER GENRE THESE TWATS NEED THEIR MUSIC TO FIT PERFECTLY INTO THEIR PIGEONHOLE LITTLE BOXES AND OTTO TUNA FISH OR NOT. The best, the best, the best.

Brian Wilson, you da man. And you keep stickin' it to the man. 

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »

My God he sounds good .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx