gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:09:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure Review from WSJ.com today, with Brian's Comments  (Read 2468 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-tunes-from-beach-boy-brian-wilson-1427819627?tesla=y

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »

Great, more specifics on that rock 'n roll album!

From the article:
Now that the new album is completed, Mr. Wilson is again toying with retirement. “But I have no idea if I will,” he said, laughing. “I still want to record my rock 'n' roll album. It will be a tribute to Little Richard, Chuck Berry and all the guys who started it.”
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

it looks like Brian has blocked out "Stars and Stripes vo1" from his mind when he says that he never worked with a country artist before....lol
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

Thanks so much for that, GF.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

it looks like Brian has blocked out "Stars and Stripes vo1" from his mind when he says that he never worked with a country artist before....lol

Actually he says he never sang a duet with a country artist. I never ever listened to "Stars and Stripes vol. 1", but I don't presume Brian sings a duet on there?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »

Actually he says he never sang a duet with a country artist. I never ever listened to "Stars and Stripes vol. 1", but I don't presume Brian sings a duet on there?

He sort of did with Tammy Wynette on a cover of " In My Room".

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Last week, he claimed he was never on Full House.  I'm trying to decide if I should believe my hero, or my lying eyes...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:08 PM »

Re: Stars & Stripes. Keep in mind that was a covers album full of reworked songs that at that point had been recorded in their definitive versions in the 60's. Beyond that, they were covers of songs that were in the public consciousness, songs that were already known but given a country-flavored reworking to jump in on the country market.

The new song with Kacey Musgraves was brand new, taken to the studio to be worked on and finished as a new song. I think Brian's comments may have referred to wanting to hear what a known country artist would do with one of his originals, and how the working process may or may not have been different when it involved someone who has been hugely successful in the modern country music world and has recorded in that process - which may have added something that perhaps Brian wanted to see develop in the studio. Bring some of the Nashville vibe and methodology to the LA studios and work up a brand new song, and see how it translates. I think the results are terrific!

Again on Stars And Stripes, correct me if I'm wrong: Brian's direct involvement in making that album was pretty limited, right? Wasn't the "Warmth Of The Sun" recording with Willie Nelson one of the only quote "hands-on" involvements from Brian beyond adding vocal tracks? I could be misremembering or simply getting that wrong, please clarify if possible...but with Kacey on NPP he was there tracking vocals and producing her, so it's quite a different scenario.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »

Again on Stars And Stripes, correct me if I'm wrong: Brian's direct involvement in making that album was pretty limited, right? Wasn't the "Warmth Of The Sun" recording with Willie Nelson one of the only quote "hands-on" involvements from Brian beyond adding vocal tracks? I could be misremembering or simply getting that wrong, please clarify if possible...but with Kacey on NPP he was there tracking vocals and producing her, so it's quite a different scenario.

Well, he is listed as co-producer, along with Joe. Pretty sure he was at least in the studio for most of the sessions. And he came up with an amazing tag for "Caroline, No" that's one of the finest latter-day BB moments.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx