gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:22:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LISTEN TO THE LAST SONG, ON THE ISLAND, & I'M FEELING SAD!! BBC RADIO  (Read 41409 times)
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »

The opening and initial verse of "I'm Feeling Sad" are slightly reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel's "Punky's Dilemma." A coincidence, but a neat one.  Smiley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »

The opening and initial verse of "I'm Feeling Sad" are slightly reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel's "Punky's Dilemma." A coincidence, but a neat one.  Smiley

I noticed that too!

Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »

Nice to see that a new member has decided to register and spend both of his / her first two posts bad-mouthing the new album!

... And people make fun of those of us who suspect conspiracies in BB/BW land.

With good reason.  There's a lot of hype and attention in BBs/BW land right now because of the new album, which makes it natural that new members would be joining the board.  A lot of them may even be long-time readers/lurkers who never registered or posted until motivated to do so recently.  And...shocker...not all of them may like what they hear of the new music.  That's a lot simpler and more realistic explanation than "there's a vast conspiracy attempting to trash Brian's new album on a quasi-obscure Internet message board!"

I'm a newbie, who read the forum for years and years before I registered and started posting, spurred in part by the hype happening around the new album and whatnot.  I am a huge Beach Boys and Brian fan, though I don't universally love every single thing they've ever put out.  And I'm also not really a fan of what I'm hearing so far of the new stuff - I can't get down with the production style, and some of the songs leave me cold.  It is what it is.

And it's a bit discouraging to see insinuations of nonsensical conspiracies related to this topic - it's really unwelcoming to those of us who might be relatively new.  Reasonable human beings can disagree about the merits of a piece of music and voice their opinions - there's no need to try to formulate conspiracies about it.  These sorts of responses in threads like these make me really not want to return to chat about one of my favorite bands.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »

I think this may be the first time I don't bother buying the new Brian Wilson album. Everything I've heard so far from NPP is cheesy, corny, clichéd, predictable and has very little to do with the work of the great Brian Wilson. Sorry, but that's it. There were some great moments on TWGMTR, but the well has finally run dry.
I am going to buy the album, but mostly for the 1975 version of In The Back Of My Mind. I'm one of the biggest Brian Wilson fans and defenders, but this album is a Frankenstein monster.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

So ... longtime fans are drawn to post because of hype surrounding a new album ...

And all they post is how awful the album is, how much of a husk Brian Wilson is, how they have no desire to buy it ...

Right.

"Longtime fans."

Mmm-hmm.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »

Damn right wirestone, there is agenda being pushed behind the scenes here at SS. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »

These sorts of responses in threads like these make me really not want to return to chat about one of my favorite bands.

One can hope.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »

I visit this board a lot more often when there's a new release on the horizon, but I tend to absolutely HATE it at the same time. I abhor differing opinions, I suppose. But the criticism of an album that hasn't even been released it is especially maddening this time around. Here I am, excited and cheerleading for a change, and people dare to air their negative opinions?! Heresy!

I dunno. People are complaining that Brian has stepped outside the box of their preferred vision of his "artistry," but the Brian Wilson of my head canon has never really been a true living, breathing person, either-- but he's getting closer and closer.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »

I suspect Capitol Records. Back in 66 they sabotaged Pet Sounds by releasing a Greatest Hits Lp; now, 49 years later, heure sabotaging NPP by releasing Pet Sounds*.  I suspect they have recruited an army of filth columnists to slag this album off and ruin its chances of ever selling more copies than Summer in Paradise.

* on Blu-Ray**

** Twice within a month

“We live in divisive times.”
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2015, 11:27:38 AM »

Does everyone else get a definite vibe that The last song was written with Bruce Johnstons voice in mind? Shame that didn't pan out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:28:43 AM by SIP Mike » Logged

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »

These sorts of responses in threads like these make me really not want to return to chat about one of my favorite bands.

One can hope.

LOL  police
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:41:17 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »

Does everyone else get a definite vibe that The last song was written with Bruce Johnstons voice in mind? Shame that didn't pan out.
LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »

I'm just watching the lyric video for "On the island" again. Man, so much is done right this time. This video is great and imo the video to "That's why God made the radio" (which also had the beach theme) should've been done like this instead of that lame, cheesy 90s Disney teenmovie style.
BTW is that supposed to be Carl at 1:47 mins?

http://www.vevo.com/watch/brian-wilson/On-The-Island-%28Lyric-Video%29/USUMV1500068

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »

If there's any REAL conspiracy against Brian Wilson it's the folks who try to justify getting the new album via internet leaks i.e. stealing money out of his pocket.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »

I'm just watching the lyric video for "On the island" again. Man, so much is done right this time. This video is great and imo the video to "That's why God made the radio" (which also had the beach theme) should've been done like this instead of that lame, cheesy 90s Disney teenmovie style.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/brian-wilson/On-The-Island-%28Lyric-Video%29/USUMV1500068

Agreed. It's a very clever video. Love the "no food, no pets" visual gag.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »

Agree that the video adds another layer of interest to what seems to be the ditty of the album. The visual aspects add a level of coolness to the track. Gotta disagree about the TWGMTR, though. At the time, I thought the appearance of the guys in the garage was legendary, if bizarre.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »

I have listened to this song about 8 times and it still brings tears to my eyes dammit.  LOL

Hold on tight
And everything will be all right
I never really felt this way before

Don't let go
There's still time for us
So let's take it slow
I wish that I could give you so much more

La la la la, etc.
La la la la, etc.

Far away
And maybe we'll be coming back someday
Together in the end