gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:59:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LISTEN TO THE LAST SONG, ON THE ISLAND, & I'M FEELING SAD!! BBC RADIO  (Read 41405 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 11:41:18 PM »

Indeed, AGD. It's easily read as a song about a troubled romantic relationship. I do think, though, in this case the multiple readings make it stronger. Who really wants an explicit account of backstage contention?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 11:42:07 PM »

It doesn't seem like a BW production to me at all. Very disappointing, since this track was being so highly touted. On The Island was quite pleasant though.

To my ears, this sounds as much like a Brian Wilson production as Midnight's Another Day.  

Chalk & cheese: to these ears "TLS" is a wonderful song, beautifully sung. "MAD" is toweringly majestic in all departments, sung with all the hurt and pain that only Brian knows. "MAD" is "TLS"². Just my opinion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:09 PM »

Indeed, AGD. It's easily read as a song about a troubled romantic relationship. I do think, though, in this case the multiple readings make it stronger. Who really wants an explicit account of backstage contention?

Oh, I dunno - maybe 95% of those who post here ?  Grin

But enough, this is about music, not assumptions. This album is shaping up to be one of Brian's very finest solo efforts. I duly admonish myself for briefly considering The Road Far Too Often Taken. Bad AGD...  Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:47:36 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »

I should have made it clear --

Who wants such an account in song formGrin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 11:55:20 PM »

It doesn't seem like a BW production to me at all. Very disappointing, since this track was being so highly touted. On The Island was quite pleasant though.

To my ears, this sounds as much like a Brian Wilson production as Midnight's Another Day.  

Chalk & cheese: to these ears "TLS" is a wonderful song, beautifully sung. "MAD" is toweringly majestic in all departments, sung with all the hurt and pain that only Brian knows. "MAD" is "TLS"². Just my opinion.

Mine too. MAD is looking like, some eight years on, perhaps the single greatest combination of song and performance that BW has managed in his solo career. Towering and majestic and personal.

The Last Song is quirkier, more Spector-ized, perhaps more conflicted about what it wants to be. But it's still remarkable work from a man who has -- against all odds -- decided to keep giving us such creations into his eighth decade.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 12:21:52 AM »

"The Last Song" has some nice lyrics and is an okay song. Foskett's voice is not a welcome addition at all, and Brian just does not sound human. Joe Thomas spends more time on his hair than he does producing the vocals of the greatest vocal group of all time.

"On The Island" is pretty pleasant, tho. I got some slight "Busy Doin' Nothin'" vibes from it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 12:27:34 AM »

I went to 1:31:58 and I heard Megan trainor. Did they edit the program

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 12:32:44 AM »

Different link. I did that too.  Grin

Meghan Trainor... entirely talent free, and that's her plus point.  Angry

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 12:46:12 AM »

I really like "On the Island"--very nice and laid back.  I think Runners is spot on with the "Busy Doin' Nothin'" vibe this has.  Great choice of collaborators for this one.

I may be about to get myself into trouble, but "The Last Song" is the first song I've heard from this album that I'm not really into.  Maybe I'll warm up to it after a couple more listens but for now I find it… cloying.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 01:17:43 AM »

Ewwwww, nice lyrics but the song itself is like Dennis + Bruce at their most sappiest, wrapped up in JT's crappy production choices.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

Last two comments hit the nail on the head. Last Song just isn't doing it for me, and normally I let a thing Brian does roll me over and tickle my tummy. I love it when BW does something different but this is like someone (Bruce?) trying to do something so Brian and missing by an open country mile. I mean agriculture.

“We live in divisive times.”
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:35 AM »

I've got to throw my hat in with Mike's Beard...though I think the lyric itself is a bit sappy. There's enough material released so far to prove that Brian has still got his chops, but none of these songs jump out and grab me. Ultimately the artist has to start with a good song conceived out of some sort of passion or vision that almost needs to be communicated. Instead I picture this process more like trying to make gold out of silver. A lot of effort from a lot of talented people...but most of these songs will not be part of Brian's unequaled legacy. And it's not fair to pin it on JT as Brian knows what he wants I'm sure. I don't see MAD or even Summer's Gone...and I'm trying hard!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 03:14:29 AM »

I like most of the tracks so far but the real ear worms this year are the MiniMansions  and Emile Haney guest slots.

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 03:23:57 AM »

but none of these songs jump out and grab me.

Sadly I have to admit the same thing. I love a lot of Brian's recent work. Many of the songs on TWGMTR were so gorgeous that they transcended the 'adult contemporary' production choices. For me this latest stuff really does feel like it's designed for an older audience. More power to Brian - that's clearly where he's at and he's productive which is great. Plus I haven't heard all the NPP songs yet so there may still be some that do it for me ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:56 AM »

The Last Song is not even in the same league as Summer's Gone i'm afraid maybe it'll grow on me.
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10:57 AM »

Anyone else hearing shades of lay down burden in the last song? I have to say this is in my top 3 songs on NPP so far... Roll on 7th April, I've even booked the day off work! 😄 Grin
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 05:37:19 AM »

Great stuff, what a sentiment from BW and a nice close to the album, glad he took the lead vocal... sounds like he really put a lot of work into it! Isn't it amazing when art has the power to either make people cry or sneer so what and try to negate it? Still pushing buttons... and those lyrics! I know they don't have the emotional heft and power of "Pisces Brothers," but if Cousin Mike can spare a few minutes this year to listen to it i'd love to hear what the sentimental sap thinks of them.

Once he finishes consulting his lawyer about it mentioning taking it slow, anyway.

"Are you sure we can't do anything?"

"It's a no-go, Mr. Love.

Loved On the Island too... Cute song, nice relaxed atmosphere! I think this is going to nudge TLOS out of "fave BW solo album" spot for me.

Ontor, thanks for putting it into perspective on our varied views of "Last Song."  It is deeply emotional.  One of my very, very favorite things on this planet (like top 5 - okay maybe a tie for #1, truth be told) since I was a little girl in 1962 has remained a Brian Wilson ballad, so my opinion of "Last Song" is pretty predictable.  I am totally in love with it - gorgeous and moving to me.  Brian's vocal is superb and I think it came together wonderfully as part of the "feel" of this record that covers a lifetime of emotions and experiences.  It has that sophistication coupled with innocence that no one else can do as well as Brian.  It suits my personal taste just fine.  It does convey a powerful sadness, so that may make some uncomfortable.  If it doesn't suit someone else's preferences that's fine, too.  There is plenty of other music to enjoy.

On the Island is even better than I was hoping.  I think it will always be one of my favorite tracks because it is flat-out charming at the same time that it feels so good.  I personally love being charmed, and this song is a true delight - from my perspective, perfectly executed and I love the story it tells.  

I've heard enough of the album now that I know I may spend much of the month of April in a very personal relationship with it, just like I did with Pet Sounds so many years ago.  The only thing that comes close to the pleasures of falling in love is enjoying a new record I adore this much.  I guess that's what being a "fan" is.  We appreciate being given the gift of music that conveys love in all its forms to us.  Other than personal love and friendship, is their anything better really?  I am so happy with this latest gift.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 06:02:56 AM »

Brian's still got it. It makes no sense to jump around every time he releases something anymore just because he can make quality music; we know that. He doesn't have to prove anything and we don't have be validated in any way.

Having said that, I think this a great vocal to a meh song. It's not something I'd pay much attention to if not for the name of the artist. Musically generic, to my ears. And production-wise slick to an extreme I really don't care for. I don't find in it elements to be a grower, unlike with "Sail Away".

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 06:04:31 AM »

The Last Song:

There have been moments in Brian's music where the songs almost feel 3-dimensional to me...the right elements come together and are balanced just right to create a perfectly layered piece of music. California Girls is like this, a lot of Today!, much of Pet Sounds (especially LGAFA), but this sonic depth seemed to disappear for the most part after SMiLE (imo).

That moment where Brian is singing a gorgeous background vocal, or where the organ is playing those beautiful notes alongside the strings and the background vocals...All throughout this song there seem to be elements of Brian's old style creeping back in....a sonic depth that I haven't really heard from him since Pet Sounds...I really hope the rest of the more downtempo songs are mixed like this. The lyrics are wonderful. Definitely a tearjerker for me. 5/5

You may find the piano and strings to be sappy, or the "Joe Thomas Production"* off-putting. But put on some good headphones and really deeply listen to this latest batch of songs...I think there is a lot going on in them that people are overlooking.

On The Island:

A quirky and beautiful tune. The lyrics take me back to a sunny tropical beach down south....and I'm really diggin Zooey's vocal.  

Also, all I typed above is merely my opinion, so I don't want to hear complaints about "false advertising" lol

*again, do we know exactly how much time Joe has spent mixing and producing this album? This could be 95-100% Brian's direct/indirect production/mixing going on here. So before we start blaming Joe for anything we dislike, perhaps we should hold off on such claims until we know for sure.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:27:08 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »

Different link. I did that too.  Grin

Meghan Trainor... entirely talent free, and that's her plus point.  Angry

If she's "entirely talent free" then what are you? Written any worldwide hits lately?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder how in the world a new Brian album (apart from Smile) can get so much promotion. It seems TWGMTR's success is kinda responsible.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »

Different link. I did that too.  Grin

Meghan Trainor... entirely talent free, and that's her plus point.  Angry

If she's "entirely talent free" then what are you? Written any worldwide hits lately?

*delete...I don't want to derail this thread, getting into an age old debate that has no end.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:59:58 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »

Great stuff, what a sentiment from BW and a nice close to the album, glad he took the lead vocal... sounds like he really put a lot of work into it! Isn't it amazing when art has the power to either make people cry or sneer so what and try to negate it? Still pushing buttons... and those lyrics! I know they don't have the emotional heft and power of "Pisces Brothers," but if Cousin Mike can spare a few minutes this year to listen to it i'd love to hear what the sentimental sap thinks of them.

Once he finishes consulting his lawyer about it mentioning taking it slow, anyway.

"Are you sure we can't do anything?"

"It's a no-go, Mr. Love.

Loved On the Island too... Cute song, nice relaxed atmosphere! I think this is going to nudge TLOS out of "fave BW solo album" spot for me.

Ontor, thanks for putting it into perspective on our varied views of "Last Song."  It is deeply emotional.  One of my very, very favorite things on this planet (like top 5 - okay maybe a tie for #1, truth be told) since I was a little girl in 1962 has remained a Brian Wilson ballad, so my opinion of "Last Song" is pretty predictable.  I am totally in love with it - gorgeous and moving to me.  Brian's vocal is superb and I think it came together wonderfully as part of the "feel" of this record that covers a lifetime of emotions and experiences.  It has that sophistication coupled with innocence that no one else can do as well as Brian.  It suits my personal taste just fine.  It does convey a powerful sadness, so that may make some uncomfortable.  If it doesn't suit someone else's preferences that's fine, too.  There is plenty of other music to enjoy.

On the Island is even better than I was hoping.  I think it will always be one of my favorite tracks because it is flat-out charming at the same time that it feels so good.  I personally love being charmed, and this song is a true delight - from my perspective, perfectly executed and I love the story it tells.  

I've heard enough of the album now that I know I may spend much of the month of April in a very personal relationship with it, just like I did with Pet Sounds so many years ago.  The only thing that comes close to the pleasures of falling in love is enjoying a new record I adore this much.  I guess that's what being a "fan" is.  We appreciate being given the gift of music that conveys love in all its forms to us.  Other than personal love and friendship, is their anything better really?  I am so happy with this latest gift.

A lovely, heart rendering perspective on this latest gift from Brian and company. No one could have said it any better. From buying the CD, taking it home, arranging the pillows on the couch, firing up the stereo,  sitting back, planting my feet on the coffee table, and absorbing my favorite composer's music, well, it just doesn't get any better than that, does it?  Happy Dance Happy Dance  

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »

but none of these songs jump out and grab me.

Sadly I have to admit the same thing. I love a lot of Brian's recent work. Many of the songs on TWGMTR were so gorgeous that they transcended the 'adult contemporary' production choices. For me this latest stuff really does feel like it's designed for an older audience. More power to Brian - that's clearly where he's at and he's productive which is great. Plus I haven't heard all the NPP songs yet so there may still be some that do it for me ...
You hit the nail on the head for me! Some songs on TWGMTR were so stunning that they transcended the AC production choices and here I find the same AC production choices (sometimes taken a bit further), but not the stunners.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »

Make sure to have some fine wine to enjoy such an event! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx