gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone review of No Pier Pressure "Wilson's most forward-looking solo LP"  (Read 10636 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:25 PM »

I like how they dismiss Sail Away as a Sloop John B retread.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »

False advertising...ok then.

What is being falsely advertised, who is doing it, and who is potentially affected by this false advertising and to what extent?

If each of those questions cannot be answered and backed up, the claim is as bogus as it sounds.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

I like how they dismiss Sail Away as a Sloop John B retread.

Yep, the first 3 notes are a nod to SJB.  Then it's clearly an entirely different song with a nautical theme shared, period, and a great one to nearly all of Brian's fans.  

The "advertising" thing threw me, too.  Say, whaaaa?  Not to mention the fact that we haven't heard a large part of the album, so it's a little early to be getting all dramatic about what's supposedly NOT on it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:54:14 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »

Umm...did anyone notice the David Crosby quote on the sidebar?
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »

Yeah - Crosby also said some really great things about Brian recentl, but I guess those weren't controversial enough to be published.  Figures.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19993.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »

Thanks - it was on that page in a Shady post and the Crosby comments were taken from a part of a Q&A I believe someone said - Brian per Crosby, "innocent, brilliant, inspiring."
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »

Ha....I'd seen the quote before, but had to laugh at them sticking it next to the review.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »

This review is ridiculous. In the title the writer says Brian "looks back with friends" "on a joyfully nostalgic trip". Later the album is declared Brian's "most forward-looking album" in direct contradiction to the title and summary. To further confuse the matter the writer also makes reference to "too many re-treads". I don't know what my take-away from this review is supposed to be. Just bad writing. It makes you wonder if an editor even looked at this before it went to press.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »

This review is ridiculous. In the title the writer says Brian "looks back with friends" "on a joyfully nostalgic trip". Later the album is declared Brian's "most forward-looking album" in direct contradiction to the title and summary. To further confuse the matter the writer also makes reference to "too many re-treads". I don't know what my take-away from this review is supposed to be. Just bad writing. It makes you wonder if an editor even looked at this before it went to press.

I was trying not to be bi*chy, but it really did seem like he just skipped through the record and made disjointed comments.  I guess he spent too much time writing the review of the rap artist he's so taken with.  Whatever.  It was kind of a waste to read.  There will be better reviews and Right Time #1 on BBC 2 is downright cool.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 01:48:25 AM »

I am a little taken aback that Allmusic and RS reviews were only 3 stars, but there are a number of reviews pending, like Mojo, Uncut, NME, Record Collector. etc. I t will be interesting to hear what they think.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 05:02:54 AM »

I really don't see how you're coming to this conclusion.

Well...Brian has changed his middle name to Dweezil hasn't he?  [and, as you well know, the whole 50th Anniversary tour fell apart when BDW asked Mike to change his name to Moon Unit.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 05:18:27 AM »

I am a little taken aback that Allmusic and RS reviews were only 3 stars, but there are a number of reviews pending, like Mojo, Uncut, NME, Record Collector. etc. I t will be interesting to hear what they think.

Uncut is seven stars, Mojo three stars Peter, if memory serves. Reviews are favourable, in a nice kinda way…

“We live in divisive times.”
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:12 AM »

I once, as a wee lad, believed in the hype about Rolling Stone.  I do thank them for steering me to MURMUR by REM back in '83, but other than that I have come to view the "rag" with much distaste.  I remember having their record guide, and back then they rated the Beach Boys overall very poorly (Pet Sounds only had three stars back then, even though they now wet themselves over it) and some of the glaring errors in reviews pissed my young righteous self off to no end - for example, Dave "I can't be bothered to actually listen to the records I am reviewing" Marsh claiming that Girl From NYC was a cover of the Ad Libs song (as opposed to what it really is - an answer song, and a great one at that).  Then there's Yawn Whiner and his elitist R&RHOF..... Whatever!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 07:57:29 AM »

Uncut is seven stars, Mojo three stars Peter, if memory serves. Reviews are favourable, in a nice kinda way…

Uncut is 8/10 according to this. Also, could you expand more on the Mojo review? - I don't think I've heard any details from that one yet.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »

I think his "most forward-looking solo LP" clearly was BW88. It seems like an album that I imagine must've sounded like a contemporary 80s version of the wall-of-sound approach at the time. Today the production may sound somewhat dated but it clearly was a serious attempt to not live off past glories and try something new (just like BB albums Love You and Adult/Child 10 years before).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »

Rolling Stone Australia 2 Stars. Jeeeez, tough crowd!

Apparently Lana Del Rey and Frank Ocean ended up on the cutting room floor, suggesting this was possibly intended as an LP full of guest vocalists, but it didn't pan out, so Wilson pops in and out of the mix. Subsequently, it's all over the place, from the aping of Pet Sounds' lush choral reverie on "This Beautiful Day" to the Eighties sax 'n' synths cheese of "Runaway Dancer". On "Sail Away", even the title seems recycled, and Wilson thinks mashing up "Sloop John B" and "Sail On Sailor" will get results. Sadly, he's wrong.

http://rollingstoneaus.com/reviews/post/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/1394
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »

Uncut is 8/10 according to this. Also, could you expand more on the Mojo review? - I don't think I've heard any details from that one yet.

Ha - that was my own post … I was going by memory for the second as I'm away for a few days and my magazines are at home - afraid for that reason I can't ref the Mojo review. Home again tonight so will try to find time to post more. Apologies for the faulty brain cells Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »

UNcut gives it 8; Mojo gives it 3 yet manages to give 4 to Van Morrison's awful Duets album - then again, they poured a lot of manure on the last Dylan album in the hope something beautiful would grow.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Ha - that was my own post … I was going by memory for the second as I'm away for a few days and my magazines are at home - afraid for that reason I can't ref the Mojo review. Home again tonight so will try to find time to post more. Apologies for the faulty brain cells Smiley

No problem! Grin Thanks for the update, looking forward to reading what Mojo has to say about it.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

I once, as a wee lad, believed in the hype about Rolling Stone.  I do thank them for steering me to MURMUR by REM back in '83, but other than that I have come to view the "rag" with much distaste.  I remember having their record guide, and back then they rated the Beach Boys overall very poorly (Pet Sounds only had three stars back then, even though they now wet themselves over it) and some of the glaring errors in reviews pissed my young righteous self off to no end - for example, Dave "I can't be bothered to actually listen to the records I am reviewing" Marsh claiming that Girl From NYC was a cover of the Ad Libs song (as opposed to what it really is - an answer song, and a great one at that).  Then there's Yawn Whiner and his elitist R&RHOF..... Whatever!
The Rolling Stone Record Guide also gave Sunflower two stars, while the magazine loved it in 1970, IIRC. Carl and the Passions-So Tough got one star in the guide, although they seemed to have singled out Marcella as the one good song between 1970 and 1973.  Cheesy
I lost faith in the magazine in '82 when the reviewer gave the Who's mediocre It's Hard album five stars.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:48:31 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »

What did Rolling Stone give KTSA?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/keepin-the-summer-alive-19800515
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

I lost faith in the magazine in '82 when the reviewer gave the Who's mediocre It's Hard album five stars.

OMG I remember that - I think the reviewer even made comparisons between it's Hard and Who's Next or some such crap.    Even as a huge Who fan (or maybe because of it), I was like "whaaa???"    LOL
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:24 AM »

Thought I'd add the actual review for all to see, along with David Crosby's twitter column, since it has BBs content). 

What is the deal with Brians' hair in this image  Huh

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx