gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:26:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone review of No Pier Pressure "Wilson's most forward-looking solo LP"  (Read 10641 times)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »

Got my print edition of RS a couple days ago and it has a No Pier Pressure review.  Don't really care for the music reviews in the mag but I figured you would be interested.

*** (good)

The review says Wilson has had a "late-game rally" betwen Smile,  TWGMTR, and now this new LP, which shows "the sound of a famously cloistered artist finally leaving his room".

Says the highlights are "Guess You Had to Be There" and "Saturday Night"

"There are a few too many retreads (the 'Sloop John B'-ish 'Sail Away'), but it adds up to Wilson's most forward-looking solo LP, Smile notwithstanding."
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »

I'm a tad disapponted in that score. I thought of all the major music publications, Rolling Stone would give the album a super high score.

Oh well. I know I'm still going to love the album, so whatever.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:43:00 AM by Rocket » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »

Just read the whole review.  While it was overall "good", the reviewer just doesn't seem to have the same musical taste as Brian's primary audience.  Ah well, it's all opinion and at least it was the 2nd review with a good photo, so it will get some attention.  They certainly weren't especially kind to Emile Haynie.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »

One trend with Rolling Stone is that the content of the reviews rarely matches the score given. Drives me nuts.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »

What did Rolling Stone give KTSA?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

What did Rolling Stone give KTSA?

higher than 5...  Grin SIP got a trillion stars
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »

"Forward-looking" seems like an odd way of describing this album since so much of what I've heard sounds like 70s soft-rock. Maybe just a reference to the guest vocalists? We'll see on April 7th.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »

"Forward-looking" seems like an odd way of describing this album since so much of what I've heard sounds like 70s soft-rock. Maybe just a reference to the guest vocalists? We'll see on April 7th.
How could "forward-looking" refer to the guest vocalists? Huh

Brian's trying new stuff, as always (to a certain degree). That's what made him an icon in the first place and it is what makes his solo career more than worthwhile. Brian has put tremendous effort and experimentation into No Pier Pressure, that's what the RS author is praising as "forward-looking".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »

Brian's trying new stuff, as always (to a certain degree). That's what made him an icon in the first place and it is what makes his solo career more than worthwhile. Brian has put tremendous effort and experimentation into No Pier Pressure, that's what the RS author is praising as "forward-looking".

Exactly. Given how modern 'Runaway Dancer' sounds, how vintage yet modern 'GYHTBT' sounds, also how Brian is harkening back to bossa nova while at the same time making it sound perfectly fit for the year 2015 (mostly due to the lead vocalist), yes I would indeed agree that this is Brian's most forward looking solo album to date.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »

Thought I'd add the actual review for all to see, along with David Crosby's twitter column, since it has BBs content). 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »

Didn't RS give Pet Sounds three stars for over 20 years?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »

Didn't RS give Pet Sounds three stars for over 20 years?

That wasn't forward looking either - bunch of Martin Denny and Spector rip offs.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »

Brian has put tremendous effort and experimentation into No Pier Pressure
Hyperbolizing makes the album look worse, not better.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »

According to someone who would know, Brian did put a tremendous amount of effort into this album. As for experimenting - he has been trying new things: working with a slew of younger/popular collaborators, Frank Ocean for instance (failed collaboration, but experimenting nonetheless), getting Mark Isham to perform over instrumental tracks, Brian trying a hand at electronica music, working with Jeff Beck for a while in the studio. I'd say much of what Brian has been doing is trying, failing, succeeding (i.e. experimenting) in order to create a beautiful album.

So it's not at all hyperbolizing, it's just stating a fact based on what we've heard about the making of the album.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:39:38 PM by rab2591 » Logged

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »

An issue with phrasing, I guess. 'Brian is making an experimental album' sounds a lot different than 'Brian is outsourcing vocalists and dance music genres'. The former is going to do nothing except trick people into thinking he's gone Zappa.

And what? Electronica??!?!?!?! Brian Wilson? Haha. I'll believe it when I hear it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:56:05 PM by puni puni » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

The former is going to do nothing except trick people into thinking he's gone Zappa.
What? LOL

Also, I never said "Brian is making an experimental album". Roll Eyes I said with NPP there was a great deal of experimentation involved. Which there was, as rab2591 - more extensively than I - elaborated on. Thanks, rab.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

And what? Electronica??!?!?!?! Brian Wilson? Haha. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Suggest you listen to 'Runaway Dancer' and then read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Do you know how many hours BW's has spent on the album? Please share that information with us.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »

I don't know. I save descriptions like "a great deal of experimentation" for when artists compose experimental music. Frippertronics and megaflops, as it were.

Oh yeah this sounds just like Four Tet and Aphex Twin. My mistake.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »

Edit: Since I am not an electronica fan I will leave that debate to people who are better informed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:24:09 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

After actually reading my link, I concede that it's not electronica music. I guess the definition has changed over the last two decades. So I guess it would be considered dance music or something, regardless, still a huge leap for Brian to delve into such genres.

Also, still not seeing how the term 'experimentation' at all leads one to deduce automatically that the genre would be "experimental music". Brian experimented plenty in his heyday....did a lot of experimentation to achieve those sounds on his records.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »

I don't know. I save descriptions like "a great deal of experimentation" for when artists compose experimental music. Frippertronics and megaflops, as it were.

Oh yeah this sounds just like Four Tet and Aphex Twin. My mistake.
'Electronica' as an umbrella term used to have a much more loose definition than nowadays. That's probably how rab2591 used it. I could be wrong, of course.

EDIT: Confirmed. Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:36:18 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »

Also, still not seeing how the term 'experimentation' at all leads one to deduce automatically that the genre would be "experimental music". Brian experimented plenty in his heyday....did a lot of experimentation to achieve those sounds on his records.

It's like saying Brian is being 'progressive' with his 'rock' record. "Oh, so we're in for some progressive rock?" "Errrr, not quite...."

Referencing straightforward pop music as 'experimental', a term for an established idiom of music, is only in the same vein as saying 'irregardless' or 'for all intensive purposes'. Nitpicking, maybe, but from what I've heard of the album versus what I've read, I feel like there's been a lot of false advertising going around.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

It's like saying Brian is being 'progressive' with his 'rock' record. "Oh, so we're in for some progressive rock?" "Errrr, not quite...."

Referencing straightforward pop music as 'experimental', a term for an established idiom of music, is only in the same vein as saying 'irregardless' or 'for all intensive purposes'. Nitpicking, maybe, but from what I've heard of the album versus what I've read, I feel like there's been a lot of false advertising going around.
If you already admit to nitpicking, you should do it properly. Wink Sure, "experimental music" is a term in itself. But  - caution, nitpicking ahead - that's not what I said Brian was doing. Roll Eyes  You surely wouldn't dispute that's there is "experimentation" (which is the term I used) going on in pop music? Tongue
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »

The only thing Lowbacca said was that Brian did a tremendous amount of experimentation for this album...I gave actual examples of this fact as well. No one is claiming this is experimental music. Saying Brian experimented for NPP doesn't at all mean that Brian is making progressive/experimental music...I really don't see how you're coming to this conclusion.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx