gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:16:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unavailable Tracks.  (Read 2460 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »

Under the weather today so I have just been back in my office looking over my BB collection. This is a just to amuse myself post, but what's an old guy to do? I was wondering what BB tracks are currently no in release here in the states? I will be more than glad to start the list:

Sea Cruise
School Days - 45 mix
Here Comes The Night - 45 mix
It's A Beautiful Day - original 45 mix and LP mix
Trombone Dixie - the original mono mix on the first PS CD
In My Car, Island Girl, Somewhere Near Japan - Still Cruisin' tracks
Rock And Roll To The Rescue
I Was Made To Love Her - extended mix

And I am not sure if the releases from 1999 (20 GV, 20 More GV, and The Brother Years) are still in print. If not,
Rock And Roll Music - 45 mix
It's Ok - 45 mix
Friends - mono 45 mix

Sorry, being lazy, but that is all I can think of now. Any more?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:35:44 PM by petsite » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »

One thing that got me thinking about this was the following line from an interview with Nancy Wilson from Heart. When she was married to Cameron Crowe, she was helping him put together the soundtrack for the movie Almost Famous. They both wanted the BB track "feel Flows", but they couldn't find it at the time:

Nancy Wilson: When it came to putting together the soundtrack we rediscovered “Feel Flows” by the Beach Boys. It plays during the closing credits but that song wasn’t even available on CD at the time. I had to dig the old vinyl out of Ann’s basement. Brian Wilson remixed it for the CD but the version we used was copied straight over from the vinyl, so that it would retain the warmth and the character of the original. There’s a beautiful velvety thickness that you only get from vinyl. That was a real college song for me. If you listen closely, you can hear the crackles.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »

1. Bluebirds over the mountain (rarities version)
2. both medleys..
3. east meets west
4.lady liberty
5. happy endings
6. happy birthday america
7. Cuddle up (single mix)
8. Never learn not to love (single mix)
9. fun fun fun (status quo)
10. Don't worry baby (Everly brothers)
11. Howdy From Maui
12. the various versions of "Problem Child"
13. The Mono version of the Christmas album (I think)
14. Crocodile rock
 there's more but I can't remember them all,,,,lol
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »

Chasin' the Sky

3. east meets west

East Meets West is available on Spotify and amazon as an mp3. It's featured on a Frankie Valli & the 4 Seasons box set called Jersey Beat
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:56:12 PM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »

I wasn't sure if he meant only Beach Boys releases...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »

One thing that got me thinking about this was the following line from an interview with Nancy Wilson from Heart. When she was married to Cameron Crowe, she was helping him put together the soundtrack for the movie Almost Famous. They both wanted the BB track "feel Flows", but they couldn't find it at the time:

Nancy Wilson: When it came to putting together the soundtrack we rediscovered “Feel Flows” by the Beach Boys. It plays during the closing credits but that song wasn’t even available on CD at the time. I had to dig the old vinyl out of Ann’s basement. Brian Wilson remixed it for the CD but the version we used was copied straight over from the vinyl, so that it would retain the warmth and the character of the original. There’s a beautiful velvety thickness that you only get from vinyl. That was a real college song for me. If you listen closely, you can hear the crackles.

Brian remixed "Surf's Up" for the 1991/2000 reissue program ? Never heard that before and, given his involvement in the album was less than complete, I have to question that statement.

Also, don't you lease the actual master tape - or a copy thereof - for movie release, not just rip it from a CD ?

Also squared, isn't the entire SIP album unavailable (not saying that's a bad thing, unless you're a completist...) plus the LP version of "Make It Big" (I'm assuming the soundtrack mix, which is rather different, is still "available" on a DVD release...) ?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:09:05 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »

Also squared, isn't the entire SIP album unavailable (not saying that's a bad thing, unless you're a completist...)
And ditto for Stars and Stripes Vol 1

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:57 AM »

Also squared, isn't the entire SIP album unavailable (not saying that's a bad thing, unless you're a completist...)
And ditto for Stars and Stripes Vol 1
I still see that one once in awhile at stores. It's not often though. Still, I'm not sure if S&S Vol 1 is technically out of print or not.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »

I think the MIU/ L.A. twofer is out of print.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:44:22 AM »

Brian remixed "Surf's Up" for the 1991/2000 reissue program ? Never heard that before and, given his involvement in the album was less than complete, I have to question that statement.

Wonder if she meant remastered? I pulled my CD of Almost Famous and ripped Feel Flows. Sounds like it was sourced from vinyl.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I have not heard of Brian doing any actual remixing in the recent past, aside from assisting and/or approving. 

Interesting story, nonetheless.  I never knew this bit of info about one of my favorite movies!  Cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »

I guess that some of the single mixes (if they differ from the album mixes) are not available. I'd love to see a Beach Boys single collection with those mixes. Something like the Elvis Single Box with replicas of the original releases.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I have not heard of Brian doing any actual remixing in the recent past, aside from assisting and/or approving. 

Interesting story, nonetheless.  I never knew this bit of info about one of my favorite movies!  Cool

Aye, I'm sure it's simply a case of not knowing the difference between remastering and remixing, and not knowing the difference between Brian doing something and Brian approving something Mark Linett's done.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

Wonder if she meant remastered? I pulled my CD of Almost Famous and ripped Feel Flows. Sounds like it was sourced from vinyl.

I think she didnt really know what she was talking about( as concerns Brian/remixing), but, it's clear from your quoted section ( at least to me) that Cameron simply used the vinyl for the soundtrack:

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »

Thought of two three more:

Here Comes The Night - DJ Reservice Mix
Honkin' Down The Highway - 45 mix (missing guitar break)
Lady Lynda - 45 mix
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:25:50 PM by petsite » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx