gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:32:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson & Friends "SoundStage" DVD Will (Apparently) Be Released  (Read 55744 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »

sh*t, who am Intalking to about collectibility! And anyway you edited your post Wink

yeah, I moved it around to the pertinent threads....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »

Just watched the majority of the Blu-ray. Looks and sounds good. In a few bits, it momentarily is slightly out of sync. This seems to be merely an editing thing I think. On very rare occasions for a few brief moments, the picture also gets a tiny bit jittery. I think that's just video/mastering stuff. It seems to occur when the background stuff on video screens ramps up. I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10 for audio and video quality. Couldn't be much better I have to say.

Thoughts on the show:

Al just kicked ass on "Wouldn't It Be Nice." Unlike C50 where Foskett kept singing over him, here you can actually hear Al on his own singing it. Ike and/or Matt are doubling in a few spots still, the falsetto bits. But I don't think I've heard Al sing in such a high register and kick ass in eons.

Not a big fan of the music of Ruess, and not super into his voice. But his voice is in the perfect range to nail all the songs he sang on this show. "Saturday Night" sounds good, and he sounds great on "Hold On Dear Brother." He's good on "Darlin'" too, but I don't like how he does the current trendy thing of breaking syllables up in a few spots ("pick me up when I'm feeling saa-aad" with a stutter in the middle of "sad"). But apart from the other BB's in the show, he's the most effective guest star.

The band sounds really good here, and I don't see or hear a bunch of obvious tell-tale post production things tacked on.

Isham's tracks are fine. Sebu's fine too. His "Don't Worry Baby" was similar to Ruess' "Darlin'" in that it was pretty faithful and in the correct key and everything, but in just a few little spots he added vocal inflections/riffs that reek of what a bunch of stuff on the radio sounds like. But that's tiny stuff.

Blondie is awesome. He was really just backing Ruess up on "Hold on Dear Brother", so I would imagine we won't see that in the upcoming tour setlist unless one of Brian's backing guys takes the lead.

For super completest nerds, it's worth noting that the beginning of "Runaway Dancer" has Sebu talking over it in a quick interview clip. I believe the intro is "clean" on the YouTube clip version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »

I knew some sharp eye would catch my mistake!  To lazy to change it when I noticed later.  I think, notice said not sure, but hasn't it always been on Friday in previous years?  Just you wait...those brain cells really start to go after about 55.

Anyway, it's a long shot with the '64 sessions vinyl - have a few other things to look for.  I don't believe some of the very short supply titles make it to the shelves.  They always tell you they had one that morning, but...

although we have three stores in a twenty mile radius, they're all small - so a line forms.  Of course "friends" are always let in the back door.  Me?  I'm just a customer with a bit of cash.  Woodstock will be my first stop, that's a crazy place on Saturdays.  Then a drive to New Paltz, home of Rhino Records and Jack's.

bgas, you probably know more than me, doesn't the rare stuff triple in price the day after RSD on Ebay?  I got what I wanted last year.  It's all about luck.  Today I was lucky to put the Blu-ray behind me.  Saturday?  Who knows.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »

I knew some sharp eye would catch my mistake!  To lazy to change it when I noticed later.  I think, notice said not sure, but hasn't it always been on Friday in previous years?  Just you wait...those brain cells really start to go after about 55.

Anyway, it's a long shot with the '64 sessions vinyl - have a few other things to look for.  I don't believe some of the very short supply titles make it to the shelves.  They always tell you they had one that morning, but...

although we have three stores in a twenty mile radius, they're all small - so a line forms.  Of course "friends" are always let in the back door.  Me?  I'm just a customer with a bit of cash.  Woodstock will be my first stop, that's a crazy place on Saturdays.  Then a drive to New Paltz, home of Rhino Records and Jack's.

bgas, you probably know more than me, doesn't the rare stuff triple in price the day after RSD on Ebay?  I got what I wanted last year.  It's all about luck.  Today I was lucky to put the Blu-ray behind me.  Saturday?  Who knows.

Oh yeah. the really desirable rare stuff goes thru the roof!

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »

My shipment has arrived. I'm in California, so I think it's probably just down to various elements of the postal system as far as shipping speed.

I agree that it is kind of odd that there are no Blu-ray logos on the packaging itself. Perhaps the addition of the Blu-ray disc was a last-minute (and excellent) decision. I would imagine this will be fixed when/if it hits retail. I actually think it might be against Blu-ray association rules to not have the Blu-ray logo on the packaging, but I'm just guessing on that.

Here are some quick pics. Apologies for the mediocre quality:

Alright all of you BW experts, what's the opinion on this autograph?

Real-deal?

Oh, and HeyJude, how were the suite numbers?
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »

I received mine in the mail today as well. I was happy to see that they kept in the chair falling over when BW gets up after "Fun, Fun Fun"!  LOL

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

Ordered April 8th, received today (April 16th) in south Florida.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »

Mine arrived today, too, in Pittsburgh, PA.  Razz

Looks great. I'll watch it this weekend.

The autograph looks right. I wouldn't doubt it anyway. I got Brian's autograph on my 'Love You' Japanese box. The 'Brian' is right on. When Brian signed in front of me in Pittsburgh the 'Wilson' was a squiggly line. The 'Wilson here is broken up but I have no doubt this is Brian. My own signature changes through the years.

I got a little nervous when I couldn't find the autograph. Thanks to HeyJude for helping out!

Nice job by Soundstage! Thanks Brian!!!!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2015, 06:55:55 PM »

Decided to go ahead and order it.  Can't wait!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2015, 07:05:27 PM »

me too.

don't want to waste a thread, but do you fellows have something called "live audio"?  I just got it as a software update on jambox and it's blowing my mind listening to NPP. It sounds way better than my Bose bluetooth speakers, which does not, I don't think, have that technology.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »

I didn't receive my copy here in Omaha. Sad I'm such a spazz that I saw some kid walking up the street with a plain brown envelope of sorts and now I'm worried he robbed my mailbox as it is right on the street. Once in a while, it does happen around here, sadly...

Like I said, I am a spazz, I am sure it is on the way. My post office typically runs a day late on delivering packages for some reason.
KDS
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »

I got both of the copies I ordered in the mail today. 

Smiley
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »

I didn't receive my copy here in Omaha. Sad I'm such a spazz that I saw some kid walking up the street with a plain brown envelope of sorts and now I'm worried he robbed my mailbox as it is right on the street. Once in a while, it does happen around here, sadly...

Like I said, I am a spazz, I am sure it is on the way. My post office typically runs a day late on delivering packages for some reason.

I hope yours arrives, I too know the pain (and thus, the paranoia) of having stuff lifted from my stoop.

Omaha? Nice! Does Homer's do anything for RSD? One of my favorite record stores when I'm in the area. My folks used to live in Council Bluffs, so I spent quite a bit of time playing around in Omaha.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »

I just noticed that there is a USPS Tracking number on the label of the package. I'm sure the sender (Soundstage) will have those tracking numbers on file with your order. If you don't receive your package/DVD I'm sure you can call customer service and they can look up the tracking number. I'm sure they'll give you the tracking number so you can see if was delivered to your residence.

The USPS offers 'signature confirmation' which requires a signature from the receiver. They won't leave it at your residence unless you are there to sign for it. They'll leave a note for you to pick it up at the post office. I don't know if the sender (Soundstage) would take the time to do that for you (might cost a bit extra) but it shouldn't be that difficult. If you explain your situation I'm sure they would do it. This doesn't help now but you can request this on future orders from whoever you may be ordering from.

Since there is a tracking number and IF it is missing notify the post office so they can investigate.

Let us know if your's arrives!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »

Got my DVD/Blu-ray combo last night.  Skimmed through most of the concert.  Overall, not a bad performance. Brian's performances are somewhat autopilot but passable (for Brian at least).  All the special guests make up for it.  Interesting song selection.  Kind of odd that they get "Good Vibrations" out of the way early.  One thing that is a tad annoying is they cut to several interviews introducing the new stuff that covers the live performances.  Considering I ripped the audio this was frustrating.  Fortunately it only happens a few times.  One interesting tidbit is that the audio track on the DVD is 24-bit, which is usually uncommon on DVD's since it takes up space on the disc.  Not complaining at all though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:05:32 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »

Real-deal?

The suite numbers sounded just fine. They're from the actual show, not a rehearsal or anything, so I'm not precisely sure why they are presented as "bonus" songs. Weirdly, Al isn't on stage for "Pacific Coast Highway" but then joins in on "Summer's Gone." The tracks sound nice with the addition of the cello and violin player.

For me, the vocal intro to "Pacific Coast Highway" is the best single moment on the TWGMTR album. There has been a lot of talk about what does or doesn't "sound" like the BB's on that album. But that moment on the album sounds like them, like you can almost even imagine Carl in the vocal stack. You can pick them all out. Al's in the middle there. Mike's bass vocal is there. It's them. *That's* why the full band not staying together sucks.

Anywho, I mention that to point out that on this live version, the band pulls off the vocal intro quite well. But it doesn't sound like the BB's. (If they had thrown Al into the vocal mix it might have helped). I'm curious if we'll get these "suite" tracks on the tour, perhaps with Al's "From There to Back Again" added in. Probably not, especially since they'll probably be doing some stuff off the new album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

Ya'll were right, mine came today.
Now, knowing it's got the autograph card, have to decide whether to open the package or leave it sealed for the collection...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »

I went ahead and put my review of the Blu-ray up on my blog. It probably repeats some of what I've already blabbed on about here, but here it is:

http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/

I've also got a Facebook component to the blog up now as well, so please feel free to "like" it so I know someone else is reading.  LOL

https://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

I would order this but they don't take paypal.  Angry
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

Still no delivery today. I also put in another call yesterday to that 800 number, where a CSR again took my info down and promised someone would get back to me. That hasn't happened yet either. That's two calls and an e-mail with no reply for anyone keeping score.

If I don't receive it by Monday, I'm calling my bank to dispute the charge. In light of never receiving the original order receipt like everyone else did, all I want is some kind of confirmation that my order was indeed received, beyond the immediate auto charge. Too much to ask?

Sorry for the rant....but total clowns in how they operate.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

My shipment has arrived. I'm in California, so I think it's probably just down to various elements of the postal system as far as shipping speed.

I agree that it is kind of odd that there are no Blu-ray logos on the packaging itself. Perhaps the addition of the Blu-ray disc was a last-minute (and excellent) decision. I would imagine this will be fixed when/if it hits retail. I actually think it might be against Blu-ray association rules to not have the Blu-ray logo on the packaging, but I'm just guessing on that.

Here are some quick pics. Apologies for the mediocre quality:

Real-deal?

The signature is the real deal! Grin
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »

No shipping to Canada???  Sad.  I was at the vegas show and really would love to have a copy of this but it doesn't allow for shipping to Canada.  Any US fans wanna help a Canadian fan.  Bgas, Mikie...  Anyone???

You got any proof you were really there?  

Informed sources tell me that those not in the USA that want to purchase from the site should write Elizabeth here: soundstage@wttw.com and express your desire.

She was also nice enough to tell me that all orders will be shipped as soon as they are placed ( I'm presuming maybe a 1 day lag) as the fulfillment house has everything ready

Cheers bgas for the email address.

I have emailed asking if they will post to the UK.  I would really love to have this.  Here's hoping.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »

Package arrived today in Colorado, signature real deal, and managed to get pretty good seats for the concert in Broomfield in July, just about a mile from my house. Definitely been a BW kind of day around here...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:08:05 PM by PS » Logged
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »

Package arrived today in Colorado, signature real deal, and managed to get pretty good seats for the concert in Broomfield in July, just about a mile from my house. Definitely been a BW kind of day around here...

I think I am going to come in for that show, and build our family trip around it. Waiting on the wife's okay... Wink
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »

I just noticed that there is a USPS Tracking number on the label of the package. I'm sure the sender (Soundstage) will have those tracking numbers on file with your order. If you don't receive your package/DVD I'm sure you can call customer service and they can look up the tracking number. I'm sure they'll give you the tracking number so you can see if was delivered to your residence.

The USPS offers 'signature confirmation' which requires a signature from the receiver. They won't leave it at your residence unless you are there to sign for it. They'll leave a note for you to pick it up at the post office. I don't know if the sender (Soundstage) would take the time to do that for you (might cost a bit extra) but it shouldn't be that difficult. If you explain your situation I'm sure they would do it. This doesn't help now but you can request this on future orders from whoever you may be ordering from.

Since there is a tracking number and IF it is missing notify the post office so they can investigate.

Let us know if your's arrives!

Got it today! No need for my spazzing, as per usual. Awesome set, really grateful to get it with the added bonus of Brian's autograph. I'm not a big autograph guy but it's cool when you get them added in on packages like this I think.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx