gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson & Friends "SoundStage" DVD Will (Apparently) Be Released  (Read 55512 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »

Not terribly surprising considering they put a lot of "Soundstage" shows out on DVD, but the website for the "Soundstage" show mentions that you can "reserve" (meaning simply joining a mailing list to be notified when it's available) the DVD. It has artwork for a DVD cover, so I'm thinking it's likely to happen.

Note that the "No Pier Pressure" cover behind the DVD appears to just a case of the website offering the CD for sale as well ("bundles" I would think are likely as well).

The site also mentions, again not surprisingly, that the DVD will feature "bonus" material.

I hope a Blu-ray release happens as well. It would be a shame to shoot the thing in HD and only put it out in SD on DVD.

The little bit of info is here: http://interactive.wttw.com/soundstage

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »

Yes! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »

Agreed about the blu-ray - given the recent advances in the quality of television screens, I currently see the DVD format like I saw VHS 10 years ago...very outdated.

Regardless, as long as the sound is good I'm very much looking forward to this either way. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »

something weird with the zip code field at the site

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »

Great news.  Thanks for sharing that!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »

Yep, something is glitching out on the site it seems.

No big deal; it seemed like a lot of info to have to enter anyway just to be "notified" about a future release.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »

Agreed about the blu-ray - given the recent advances in the quality of television screens, I currently see the DVD format like I saw VHS 10 years ago...very outdated.

Regardless, as long as the sound is good I'm very much looking forward to this either way. Thanks for the heads-up!

I think the sound should be good. As I've mentioned in other threads, I have several other "Soundstage" DVDs and Blu-rays, all done Joe Thomas, and they sound great. Plus, while the fidelity on YouTube has limitations, the clips from the show on YouTube sound just fine as well in terms of mix, and there doesn't seem to be any overt post-production trickery or anything either.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »

Ah, and I get who it is now reserving the product for you - the Chicago local PBS station arm that is "for profit."  I was wondering if it was another creepy up-start collecting our email addresses, but they are legit enough, it appears.  And yes, the zip code field is screwed up, so...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:45:07 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »

Ah, and I get who it is now reserving the product for you - the Chicago local PBS station arm that is "for profit."  I was wondering if it was another creepy up-start collecting our email addresses, but they are legit enough, it appears.  And yes, the zip code field is screwed up, so...

I gave them my info, ending by typing "16" for the zip code, and they took it. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »

I think the sound should be good. As I've mentioned in other threads, I have several other "Soundstage" DVDs and Blu-rays, all done Joe Thomas, and they sound great. Plus, while the fidelity on YouTube has limitations, the clips from the show on YouTube sound just fine as well in terms of mix, and there doesn't seem to be any overt post-production trickery or anything either.

Good point. Looks like this'll definitely be a good one to own then.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »

Just reserved my copy... or gave them my info with the ZIP Code of 16... 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »

Ditto that. Oh well.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »

Ah, and I get who it is now reserving the product for you - the Chicago local PBS station arm that is "for profit."  I was wondering if it was another creepy up-start collecting our email addresses, but they are legit enough, it appears.  And yes, the zip code field is screwed up, so...

Hi Debbie,

Our local PBS station (WTTW) produces Soundstage for distribution to other PBS stations that buy it from them. They often make DVDs of the shows and sell them or use them as a premium/gift during fundraising events. They are trying to recover some of the production costs, they're on the level. You are correct.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

I hope that's not the final cover.  The Impact font makes it look like a bootleg.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... splendid !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »

Not terribly surprising considering they put a lot of "Soundstage" shows out on DVD, but the website for the "Soundstage" show mentions that you can "reserve" (meaning simply joining a mailing list to be notified when it's available) the DVD. It has artwork for a DVD cover, so I'm thinking it's likely to happen.

Note that the "No Pier Pressure" cover behind the DVD appears to just a case of the website offering the CD for sale as well ("bundles" I would think are likely as well).

The site also mentions, again not surprisingly, that the DVD will feature "bonus" material.

I hope a Blu-ray release happens as well. It would be a shame to shoot the thing in HD and only put it out in SD on DVD.

The little bit of info is here: http://interactive.wttw.com/soundstage
Pirate
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »

Ah, and I get who it is now reserving the product for you - the Chicago local PBS station arm that is "for profit."  I was wondering if it was another creepy up-start collecting our email addresses, but they are legit enough, it appears.  And yes, the zip code field is screwed up, so...

Hi Debbie,

Our local PBS station (WTTW) produces Soundstage for distribution to other PBS stations that buy it from them. They often make DVDs of the shows and sell them or use them as a premium/gift during fundraising events. They are trying to recover some of the production costs, they're on the level. You are correct.

Perfect -  Thank Jim!  I happily give money to any PBS station.  Now, if only I could make that faulty zip code field work, I'd be signing up to be able to buy it.  I think I'll try it again.  Hooray, it worked this time for those of you who had the same problem earlier.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:40:25 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

As with the L&M release details I'm struggling to find details,of a Uk release for this.....grrrrrrrr!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »

Great news, and it looks to be a far better production than the C50 coverage... speaking of which, one day we need RAH presented as raw and unedited as possible! Until then i'll just be jealous of you London folks and this'll do and be great to trigger smug nostalgia: "yeah I was sitting right..." (freezeframe) "...there!"

Does this mean the special will first air interspersed with appeals for pledges and offers of totebags? Well as long as they mail the discs out quick, telethon away!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »

Great news!  Just "reserved" a copy.  But I'll be really bummed out if they don't release it in Blu-Ray.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »

Great news!  Just "reserved" a copy.  But I'll be really bummed out if they don't release it in Blu-Ray.

Good.  I signed up for the notification/reservation, but haven't gotten word yet to place the order.  What was the price?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »

Good.  I signed up for the notification/reservation, but haven't gotten word yet to place the order.  What was the price?

Debbie, Unfortunately I don't have a clue what the price is.  That's why I put quotes around "reserved" - it's really a notification, since they say "Reserve your DVD and/or CD today by filling out the form below. We’ll contact you very soon to let you know how to order."

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »

Just looking forward to ripping the concert's audio to my iPod.  Instant live album!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

Thanks - the suspense is killing me!
Debbie, Unfortunately I don't have a clue what the price is.  That's why I put quotes around "reserved" - it's really a notification, since they say "Reserve your DVD and/or CD today by filling out the form below. We’ll contact you very soon to let you know how to order."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »

Looks like they're now taking orders on the website for the DVD (as well as other packages including the CD, live tickets, etc.)

The website seems strangely light on details. For instance, you can buy ticket packages, but it just tells you get two tickets in a certain price tier, and that's it. No details on where the seats are, no details on *how* you get your tickets, etc. It has an "autographed DVD and CD." Are both autographed, or only one? Which one?

I undertstand, the idea is to contribute to public television. But a bit more detail would make me feel more at ease ordering anything.

I'm also curious if the DVD is actually ready to ship, or if they're just taking orders for some unspecified release date.

I don't think it's a scam or anything. But I don't want to order the DVD from them and have it take weeks or months, only to find it's available to buy elsewhere in the meantime.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:51:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx