gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:43:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson & Friends "SoundStage" DVD Will (Apparently) Be Released  (Read 55514 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »

But I don't want to order the DVD from them and have it take weeks or months, only to find it's available to buy elsewhere in the meantime.

Don't think you can expect that.  PBS will most likely be the only supplier of the DVD for a specific period of time and will most likely be available elsewhere only until after they've completed promotion with it during an upcoming pledge drive.  That's how it was with the Paul Simon DVD they released a few years ago.  PBS had dibs on it for about a year before it was available everywhere.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »

But I don't want to order the DVD from them and have it take weeks or months, only to find it's available to buy elsewhere in the meantime.

Don't think you can expect that.  PBS will most likely be the only supplier of the DVD for a specific period of time and will most likely be available elsewhere only until after they've completed promotion with it during an upcoming pledge drive.  That's how it was with the Paul Simon DVD they released a few years ago.  PBS had dibs on it for about a year before it was available everywhere.

Bummer, as I was hoping for a quick mainstream release mainly for the possibility of a Blu-Ray release. Not sure why they're not offering one out of the gate here.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »

I do have to correct myself a bit on the issue of the ticket packages they are offering. A FAQ gets into the details, although the details basically amount to “we have no idea which seats you’ll get”, only the tier.

Another FAQ asks when one’s tickets, DVD, and/or CD would arrive, and they say within 2-3 weeks prior to concert dates. But is this just for ticket packages, or will I get just a simple DVD order only two or three weeks before concert dates?

I put in a few questions to them, but haven’t heard back yet. I asked if the DVD is available now or not, and also which of the DVD and CD area autographed (or if it’s both?).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »

This is available now--the email I received claims it is a Blu Ray-DVD combo package! Even better, if you buy the package with the NPP CD for $40 (With shipping) your DVD set is signed by Brian Wilson. Just bought a copy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »

Hopefully Amazon and other retailers will be carrying it.  I'm not paying 10 bucks for shipping from that website.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »

This is available now--the email I received claims it is a Blu Ray-DVD combo package! Even better, if you buy the package with the NPP CD for $40 (With shipping) your DVD set is signed by Brian Wilson. Just bought a copy.

I see the e-mail as well. While I would presume this means all video copies are Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, the website still simply refers to it as a "DVD." No mention of Blu-ray. I'm also troubled that the e-mail has several typos in it (the track "Summer Gone", and misspelling the name "Casey Musgraves").

The website also says the CD will have "16 tracks", but then the tracklisting for the CD in the "FAQ" section shows the 13-track version.

As I've said before, I'm sure this is on the up-and-up. I just don't have a lot of hope regarding their customer service and attention to detail. It has been over 24 hours since I e-mailed them as well, during which time they've found time to send out that additional e-mail.

I'll pay the (inflated) $10 shipping, but it would be nice if they could just answer whether they have the stuff in hand.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:41:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »

Yeah, definite causes for concern on that site, but I am being lenient on them since it's a on-profit deal, and since they are throwing in a Brian Wilson autograph.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »

Yeah, the site says noting about Blu-ray, but the email, copied below, says there's a limited quantity of autographed Blu-ray DVD dual packs plus CD.

I'd assume that means that if you get the DVD by itself it's also a Blu-ray DVD dual pack, but it's possible that's not the case.  For anyone interested in the DVD it's worth considering that the autographed Blu-ray DVD dual pack plus CD is just 11 bucks more than the unautographed DVD by itself.

Yes, the shipping is expensive, but it's all part of a PBS donation, and from what others have said it may be quite some time before this is available from mass market retailers.

Dear Brian Wilson fan,

Public television secured a limited number of autographed Soundstage® Brian Wilson and friends Blu-ray and DVD dual packs, plus Brian’s new CD, No Pier Pressure, available now for a $29 contribution (plus S&H). The Blu-ray and DVD includes 27 songs, including bonus performances of Pacific Coast Highway and Summer Gone, and interviews with She & Him, Nate Reuss, Casey Musgaves and Sebu not seen in the public TV broadcast. Please go to www.wttw.com/soundstage while supplies last.

Thank you,

WTTW Chicago
5400 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

$40?  I'm in!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 05:56:29 AM »

yeah, I wanted to buy it, but my computer wouldn't let me; had to run down to the library to place my order.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:04:09 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KDS
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18:46 AM »

Got two copies of the autographed DVD (one for me and one as a gift). 

At least this shows an actual product unlike that PBS Beach Boys C50 DVD that never happened. 

Plus, the prices are fairly reasonable.  When Maryland Public Television produces a DVD, they usually try to get a pledge of at least $60 for a copy of a one hour long DVD. 

I suppose us Brian Wilson fans will ensure Big Bird has a home for a little while longer.  (Not to be confused with "Little Bird") 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »

I still haven’t heard back on my (now several) e-mails to the website, but (dare I say possibly in reaction to my emails?) it appears they have updated the website descriptions a bit. While all the buttons and item descriptions on the order form still say “DVD”, the description of the item next to where you click on it does say “Blu-ray DVD” (which still is ambiguous; I don’t know if that means a combo pack of both or if they are using the incorrect term “Blu-ray DVD” to refer a Blu-ray disc).

Still no info on if it’s “ready to ship” now. But elsewhere on the website it does say that the Blu-ray/DVD is exclusive to PBS until November. So that’s enough info for me. I know there’s no other way to get it before then, and I would certainly hope they’ll ship it to me well before November, so I went ahead and placed an order. Hopefully it will go relatively smoothly.

I did get a confirmation e-mail for my order as well, though the “item description” is kind of vague and doesn’t match the “item description” at check out. I’m sure they have proper item/bundle ID numbers and whatnot. I guess I’ve just been ordering from Amazon and places like that too much; I’m just weirded out a bit by the kind of home-brew style of this PBS Soundstage website. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:08:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

done.  Wait til November?  Don't think so.  They have added lots of new information since yesterday.  I'm sure it didn't say Blu-ray.  I looked at that Chicago site yesterday, while looking for show-times in my area.  I don't think it is going to show here.  My Time-Warner cable only has WNET out of New York.  I remember the Paul Simon Special mentioned.  It only ever screened on WLIR.  I've never seen it.  The same thing happened with The Moody Blues Hall of Fame DVD.  My brother-in-law paid $200 for that on PBS show night!  Yeah, he's a big Moodies fan, and maybe had one beer too many.  That was fifteen years ago.  PBS made it sound like that was the only way it would ever be released.  I waited a year and bought it for twenty bucks.  My biggest disappointment came with the Steve Winwood soundstage DVD.  They added three tracks, but put them in the "extras" section instead of where they played in the show - and you didn't get the whole set.  Guess that's what will happen with this Brian disc.  27 songs.  That's the whole show, right?  Have to go look up that thread later.

Starbuck's held up the release of the second Simon and Garfunkel live set, Live 1969 Cd as well - sold out quick with no second pressing.  I got that when it came out a year later on Columbia/Legacy.  They make a game out of it.  How bad do you want it, and how much are you willing to pay?  This is Brian.  I'm not waiting.  At least they are giving you the Blu-ray.  Winwood's and some of the others are buy again later to get the Blu-ray.  I'm probably going to miss the tour unless they swing by Albany again.

I didn't have any trouble finding the Target No Pier Pressure yesterday.  I paid $17 for that, so I don't think PBS is asking too much for a Blu-ray and Cd.  I hope if it's just one signed, I get the DVD with a big B.Wilson scribbled across the cover.  They did not ask my preference when I ordered.  This deal with keeping the customer in the dark has become common, especially with box sets.  You'll see when we ship.  There was page after page of speculation at Hoffman's on what would be on the last Kinks box, the UK and American editions were in the end different.  Then my UK version came with an error on one of the discs... hmm - doesn't every box come with a problem?.  Collecting has become very difficult online.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

No shipping to Canada???  Sad.  I was at the vegas show and really would love to have a copy of this but it doesn't allow for shipping to Canada.  Any US fans wanna help a Canadian fan.  Bgas, Mikie...  Anyone???
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »

No shipping to Canada???  Sad.  I was at the vegas show and really would love to have a copy of this but it doesn't allow for shipping to Canada.  Any US fans wanna help a Canadian fan.  Bgas, Mikie...  Anyone???

You got any proof you were really there?  

Informed sources tell me that those not in the USA that want to purchase from the site should write Elizabeth here: soundstage@wttw.com and express your desire.

She was also nice enough to tell me that all orders will be shipped as soon as they are placed ( I'm presuming maybe a 1 day lag) as the fulfillment house has everything ready
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:29:34 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 03:20:22 PM »

Rich, if you still need help with this, inquire within.

Forget paying back Bgas - He has pocketfuls of cash for Ebay auctions, he can afford to eat the cost of the sound check.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

I also got a reply that the Blu-ray/DVD (which they re-confirmed is a combo pack) and CD are available now and shipping as they are ordered. (Although, as mentioned above, I'm assuming a few days of processing is likely).

I should also mention that aside from all the nitpicky stuff about the website, I'm really looking forward to this, especially now that they are putting this on Blu-ray. The clips of the show on YouTube look and sound great. I think this will be an awesome Blu-ray. I'm not always enamored with the Joe Thomas production ethos in the studio (oboes, plinky guitar, plinky bass, plinky percussion, low key jazzy guitar parts, etc.), but his work in the video realm is top notch. I have several other Blu-ray discs of his "Soundstage" show, and they look and sound great. Simple and effective direction too (I think Thomas usually directs the episodes too); not a bunch of quick cut crap.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 05:49:23 AM »

Thanks to HeyJude and others for your efforts.  By going the extra mile and sharing the replies you received, I was eventually reasonably assured enough to pull the trigger on the autograph package.

From the clips we've seen, the show looks (and sounds) fantastic.  The blu ray would have been a day-one purchase for me whenever it was released, anyway, so I'm happy to get it done. 

Even better, this will be my first BW autograph.  I know evidence has been shared in the past that suggests Brian doesn't sign everything that is purported to be legitimate, and it would be a real bummer to get a 'not-Brian' Brian autograph.  Fingers-crossed that these will be the real deal.  I'll share a photo of the signature when it arrives and hopefully we can reach some kind of consensus on that front.

Wait:  Looking back at the link, it just says "Autographed Brian Wilson and Friends: A Soundstage Special Event Blu-ray disc and DVD and No Pier Pressure CD."  It doesn't actually say "Brian Wilson autographed" or "Signed by Brian Wilson."

Uh-oh.  See, I should have been more careful before clicking 'buy.'
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:57:02 AM »

Thanks to HeyJude and others for your efforts.  By going the extra mile and sharing the replies you received, I was eventually reasonably assured enough to pull the trigger on the autograph package.

From the clips we've seen, the show looks (and sounds) fantastic.  The blu ray would have been a day-one purchase for me whenever it was released, anyway, so I'm happy to get it done. 

Even better, this will be my first BW autograph.  I know evidence has been shared in the past that suggests Brian doesn't sign everything that is purported to be legitimate, and it would be a real bummer to get a 'not-Brian' Brian autograph.  Fingers-crossed that these will be the real deal.  I'll share a photo of the signature when it arrives and hopefully we can reach some kind of consensus on that front.

Wait:  Looking back at the link, it just says "Autographed Brian Wilson and Friends: A Soundstage Special Event Blu-ray disc and DVD and No Pier Pressure CD."  It doesn't actually say "Brian Wilson autographed" or "Signed by Brian Wilson."

Uh-oh.  See, I should have been more careful before clicking 'buy.'

I think autographs from the "No Pier Pressure" promotions are more than likely legit. He signed some "NPP" CDs for "Looney Tunes Records" that were up for sale (mentioned via Facebook), and they showed a pic of that CD and it looked enough like a BW autograph to me.

You can also go back to a thread I started last year where I found a Gershwin CD with a really sketchy looking autograph in a used CD bin for like 10 bucks or something, and the actual consensus seemed to lean much more towards it being legit. One of the big takeaways from that discussion was that confirmed, in-person legit autographs can even look quite different. This one looked all spidery. Mixture of whatever was Brian's signing style that day, along with literally a bumpy CD cover to sign, and what appeared to be Sharpie running out of ink.  LOL

The PBS e-mail response I got also mentioned that the signature is on a "card" (whether a white blank card, or the "insert" for the Blu-ray, or some other card, I don't know) inside the Blu-ray rather than on the cover of the Blu-ray or CD itself. Makes sense. They probably sent Brian bunch of the cards to sign rather than hauling boxes of Blu-rays for him to sign.

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 05:58:27 AM »

This is how my e-mail looked. While awkwardly phrased, I think their intent is clear:

Subject: Limited number of Brian Wilson autographed DVDs
Dear Brian Wilson fan,

Public television secured a limited number of autographed Soundstage® Brian Wilson and friends Blu-ray and DVD dual packs, plus Brian’s new CD, No Pier Pressure, available now for a $29 contribution (plus S&H). The Blu-ray and DVD includes 27 songs, including bonus performances of Pacific Coast Highway and Summer Gone, and interviews with She & Him, Nate Reuss, Casey Musgaves and Sebu not seen in the public TV broadcast. Please go to www.wttw.com/soundstage while supplies last.

So if they're not signed by either the Beach Boy or the former Giants closer, they are definitely misrepresenting what they are selling.

It also states that the Blu-Ray and DVD are separate discs but in one combo pack--they haven't exactly made that clear, either, but again, it's awkwardly presented on the website.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:04 AM »

I contacted the soundstage store after I got the first email to clarify whether or not it's a Brian Wilson autograph since the email just said "autographed DVD." 

Soon after a second email went out that said "Limited Number of Brian Wilson autographed DVDs." 

There's a picture of him on Facebook signing some vinyl copies of NPP, so I'm hoping they do the same for the concert. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 06:19:02 AM »

I would say out of all of the ambiguities, the issue of what name will appear on the autograph isn’t one to worry about too much. That part is pretty implicit. Look at it this way; if it’s one of the *other* guest stars who sign it instead, you can probably eBay the autograph for a few bucks!

I think they’d be asking for a slew of complaints if the thing is only autographed by Craig, the intern who is stuffing the envelopes.

It is interesting that they continue to update the verbiage on the website in apparent response to fan questions. Those website people are probably uber-annoyed by us by now!  LOL

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »

Ha ha, yeah, they sure have--but, I think everything has been cleared up now, so that's good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »

One of the e-mail and/or website blurbs mentions the Blu-ray/DVD includes 27 songs. It appears 31 were performed at the live gig. We know at least two of the 27 will be the in-studio Deschanel tracks, and there probably be another non-live Musgraves track. So we might be looking at 24 of the 31 live show tracks being used.

The 17 confirmed tracks from the TV airing are:

1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Good Vibrations
4. This Beautiful Day
5. Runaway Dancer
6. Don't Worry Baby
7. Wild Honey
8. Sail On Sailor
9. Half Moon Bay
10. Saturday Night
11. Hold On, Dear Brother
12. On the Island (studio)
13. God Only Knows (studio)
14. The Right Time
15. Wouldn't It Be Nice
16. Help Me, Rhonda
17. Fun, Fun, Fun

The following songs are also in the trailer:

18. Sloop John B
19. Sail Away

We also know that the two “Radio” suite songs should be on there:

20. Pacific Coast Highway
21. Summer’s Gone

Is it safe to assume we’ll probably get an in-studio video for the Musgraves track?

22. Guess You Had to Be There

That leaves five slots for the following 12 tracks from the live show:

Dance Dance Dance
Then I Kissed Her (Al)
She Knows Me Too Well (Ike)
Marcella
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) (Isham)
California Saga: California (Al)
Darlin’ (Ruess)
God Only Knows (Ruess)
California Girls
All Summer Long
Barbara Ann
Surfin’ USA

This all assumes the citation of 27 tracks is correct, and that all of the “bonus songs” they’ve mentioned so far are contained within that 27 track count.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

One of the e-mail and/or website blurbs mentions the Blu-ray/DVD includes 27 songs. It appears 31 were performed at the live gig. We know at least two of the 27 will be the in-studio Deschanel tracks, and there probably be another non-live Musgraves track. So we might be looking at 24 of the 31 live show tracks being used.

The 17 confirmed tracks from the TV airing are:

1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Good Vibrations
4. This Beautiful Day
5. Runaway Dancer
6. Don't Worry Baby
7. Wild Honey
8. Sail On Sailor
9. Half Moon Bay
10. Saturday Night
11. Hold On, Dear Brother
12. On the Island (studio)
13. God Only Knows (studio)
14. The Right Time
15. Wouldn't It Be Nice
16. Help Me, Rhonda
17. Fun, Fun, Fun

The following songs are also in the trailer:

18. Sloop John B
19. Sail Away

We also know that the two “Radio” suite songs should be on there:

20. Pacific Coast Highway
21. Summer’s Gone

Is it safe to assume we’ll probably get an in-studio video for the Musgraves track?

22. Guess You Had to Be There

That leaves five slots for the following 12 tracks from the live show:

Dance Dance Dance
Then I Kissed Her (Al)
She Knows Me Too Well (Ike)
Marcella
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) (Isham)
California Saga: California (Al)
Darlin’ (Ruess)
God Only Knows (Ruess)
California Girls
All Summer Long
Barbara Ann
Surfin’ USA

This all assumes the citation of 27 tracks is correct, and that all of the “bonus songs” they’ve mentioned so far are contained within that 27 track count.

Jude,

If you click on the FAQ link at the order site, there's a picture of the back of the DVD (and obviously we hope Blu-Ray, as advertised, as well) with the included song titles:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
Sloop John B.
Dance, Dance, Dance
Good Vibrations
This Beautiful Day
Runaway Dancer
Don't Worry Baby
Marcella
Wild Honey
Sail On Sailor
Sail Away
Half Moon Bay
Don't Talk
Saturday Night
Hold On, Dear Brother
Darlin'
On the Island
God Only Knows
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Help Me, Rhonda
All Summer Long
Fun, Fun, Fun
Guess You Had To Be There

Bonus Songs:
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone

(27 total)

Bonus Features:
She & Him Interview
Nate Reuss Interview
Kacey Musgraves Interview
Sebu Interview

FWIW, I ordered the combo pack early this morning, myself. And while my CC was immediately charged (coming through as "Paypal"), I never received the confirmation e-mail.

Thus, I'm hoping it'll be processed.Smiley
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:37:48 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx