gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:58:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson & Friends "SoundStage" DVD Will (Apparently) Be Released  (Read 55827 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »

the songs from radio were very weak with the other Beach Boys voices missing. al was singing some background, but he missed the opportunity to sing Mike part in summers gone for some unknown reason. Those sounded like soundcheck  rehearsals that were not fully arranged or conceptualized. Brian should have told Al what parts to sing.

I think this was the first ever live performance of PCH.  And the first time Brian's band did Summer's Gone.  I know Summer's Gone appeared on the setlist at the very end of the C50 Tour, but I think it was only for the closing shows in the UK.  

So, I'm thinking if PCH/Summer's Gone are in the set for the tour (fingers crossed, with From There to Back Again please), that they'll be a little more fine tuned.  

Brian’s band did do “Summer’s Gone” at least once (and probably a few times) during the short string of summer 2013 dates with Al and Dave. These were longer shows than the later tour with Beck, and they did some interesting stuff in the “BAD” configuration for the tour like “Summer’s Gone”, “That’s Why God Made the Radio”, a few Brian solo tracks (“Your Imagination” and “Goin’ Home”).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »

Last Saturday I had a viewing party at a friend's home for "Soundstage: Brian Wilson and Friends" and "No Pier Pressure," last Saturday.  There were about 12 people aged early-20's to 60's.   Interestingly, the youngest group happened to be fans of both Brian and Nate Reuss, and everyone is planning to see L&M when it's released.  It was a great day in the countryside.  Now I'm off to ship another copy of the Soundstage dvd to Ireland.  I think people are buying me drinks all over the UK and Ireland on my next visit after this past month of sending off items that aren't available in the UK.  These are good times for people who love BW's work, and there are a few more after last Saturday.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

Last Saturday I had a viewing party at a friend's home for "Soundstage: Brian Wilson and Friends" and "No Pier Pressure," last Saturday.  There were about 12 people aged early-20's to 60's.   Interestingly, the youngest group happened to be fans of both Brian and Nate Reuss, and everyone is planning to see L&M when it's released.  It was a great day in the countryside.  Now I'm off to ship another copy of the Soundstage dvd to Ireland.  I think people are buying me drinks all over the UK and Ireland on my next visit after this past month of sending off items that aren't available in the UK.  These are good times for people who love BW's work, and there are a few more after last Saturday.

I'm not certain I understand how the DVD isn't available in the UK, when all you have to do is direct these folks to the Soundsatge website so they can order it themselves.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

I'm not certain I understand how the DVD isn't available in the UK, when all you have to do is direct these folks to the Soundsatge website so they can order it themselves.

They seem to be having problems, so I'm sending them the dvds.  That's the best answer I have bgas...I'll have to ask the details of their problems, as they've all offered to pay me for them.  However, I prefer to collect payment in drinks once I get to the UK this fall.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »

I have to say, Joe Thomas did a fantastic job on this release.  Definite five stars.  Almost makes up for his hatchet job on the Beach Boys live CD.  Almost. Wink 

Brian has released a lot of DVDs, some of them very good but this is the first one that really recreates what it feels like to be at one of his concerts.  And I like how it also doubles as a sort of visual companion to No Pier Pressure.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:50:04 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »

They seem to be having problems, so I'm sending them the dvds.  That's the best answer I have bgas...I'll have to ask the details of their problems, as they've all offered to pay me for them.  However, I prefer to collect payment in drinks once I get to the UK this fall.
You're awesome.  Cool Guy
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »

A lovely program, all told. Brian is singing in a much lower-intensity way, and it sounds good. Not his usual concert voice at all.

That being said, it sounds like some of the studio "Beautiful Day" is being ghosted over the live performance. And I would love to see just a few more numbers with BW taking the lead.
Vivienne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »

Thank you for the soundstage email info, bgas - I emailed the contact address on the ordering page to ask how I could get the dvd as I am in the UK ... no reply to three emails. I have now sent to the address you mentioned and my fingers are firmly crossed. Wait until November? I think not.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2015, 12:22:38 AM »

Did any Brits ordering this set via Elizabeth receive their copies yet?

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »

Nate Ruess on Hold On Dear Brother may be the greatest thing in existence.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »

That is one awesome performance of HODB!
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »

Two weeks ago, I programmed my Comcast xFinity DVR to capture any program with Brian Wilson listed anywhere in credits. Earlier this week, I sat down to watch another recorded program, and low and behold, right there on my DVR was this Soundstage program. It aired on the AXS cable channel during the day earlier this week.

I must say I was pretty damned impressed overall.  I already knew from hearing FUN that Nate Ruess had one hell of a voice. But, I didn't have any idea how versatile until I heard HODB. Wow.

What a surprising and pleasant find that came out of nowhere on my DVR.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »

Nate Ruess on Hold On Dear Brother may be the greatest thing in existence.

Of the clips shown in the trailer, it was probably that song that excited me most.

Looking forward to getting a copy and seeing the whole thing.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

Hi John,

I got mine.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20216.150.html
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »

Thanks mikeddon, appreciated. I guess I need to start making enquiries!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »

Have there been any updates on when the DVD / Blu-Ray will be available in wide release (not just PBS pledge drives)?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »

Would be happy if his initial release arrived. It's becoming a long story…

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »

Possibly sold out now, looking at https://soundstage.questarvideo.com/dvd.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

The initial DVD/cd/blu-ray pack with Brian's signature is sold out. How"d I know? Cos the one I ordered back in April never arrived and when I contact the company to ask it was I received an apology stating the combo had sold out, and offering me a Brian-signed L&M poster instead, as well as the Cd/DVD/Blu-Ray triptych. That then took another month to arrive but I'm satisfied as the poster is gorgeous and as a further apology they included an extra set of the combo so I could "share the music with a friend". Kind of overlooked the issue of increased customs fees on the additional contents of the mailing but a generous offer nonetheless, if a tad naive. (Call me ungrateful…)

Communications with the vendor were deeply, well, abysmal, but I got the package in the end.

The show itself I found, well, to be a cure for insomnia…!

Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »

(One for 50 clams:    http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson-Friends-Soundstage-Special/dp/B0115GL96Q )

Listen, listen, listen...
KDS
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2015, 05:28:07 AM »

The initial DVD/cd/blu-ray pack with Brian's signature is sold out. How"d I know? Cos the one I ordered back in April never arrived and when I contact the company to ask it was I received an apology stating the combo had sold out, and offering me a Brian-signed L&M poster instead, as well as the Cd/DVD/Blu-Ray triptych. That then took another month to arrive but I'm satisfied as the poster is gorgeous and as a further apology they included an extra set of the combo so I could "share the music with a friend". Kind of overlooked the issue of increased customs fees on the additional contents of the mailing but a generous offer nonetheless, if a tad naive. (Call me ungrateful…)

Communications with the vendor were deeply, well, abysmal, but I got the package in the end.

The show itself I found, well, to be a cure for insomnia…!

I loved the setlist.  The video was great.  The vocals were wonderful.  But the band seemed buried in the mix.  Nothing at all like seeing Brian and his group live. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2015, 05:35:39 AM »

When they were selling the set on that website, they mentioned it would be an exclusive until November. So it's certainly possible a more mainstream release is coming at some point. Nothing on Amazon so far (apart from third party sellers gouging on the price of sets purchased from PBS).

It'll be interesting to see if they alter the packaging for a mainstream release (e.g. splitting up the combo pack, using a standard case versus digipak, make the Blu-ray case actual Blu-ray size instead of DVD size, actually put a Blu-ray logo somewhere on the package, etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:59 AM »

When they were selling the set on that website, they mentioned it would be an exclusive until November. So it's certainly possible a more mainstream release is coming at some point. Nothing on Amazon so far (apart from third party sellers gouging on the price of sets purchased from PBS).

It'll be interesting to see if they alter the packaging for a mainstream release (e.g. splitting up the combo pack, using a standard case versus digipak, make the Blu-ray case actual Blu-ray size instead of DVD size, actually put a Blu-ray logo somewhere on the package, etc.).

I would expect separate releases for the DVD and BluRay.   
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx