gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680721 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:25:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Cut Frank Ocean From His Album  (Read 10730 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 05:36:36 AM »

Music can be about lifting mood, but it certainly doesn't have to be. Art has many uses. No need to limit it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »

I was really excited to hear Lana sing on a Brian track, such a bummer it didn't happen but at least She & Him did.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:52:04 AM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »

I can't stand Ocean or DelRay.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

I can.

I think this is going well. The internet is great.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »

I can.

Another fine contribution.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »

I can.

Another fine contribution.

You're welcome. I figure it was as good as its predecessor. Maybe slightly better, as it wasn't wholly negative. But I'll expound because the world is dying to know.

I'm not a huge Lana Del Rey fan at all, but I do appreciate that there is a mood to her music--a compelling one. It's a little creepy, it's wholly artificial, but I don't care about that. I'm not sure I'd have liked the results of a collaboration, but I'm sure I'd have been interested in hearing them. (An A/B test would have been fantastic in that respect.)

As for Ocean, it's even trickier to see how exactly he'd have worked, especially knowing--or at least strongly suspecting--that it was "Our Special Love" he would have been on. (I think it was just referred to as "Special Love" or something in the press. It could have been different, but presumably not.) And I will say this, I don't see where him rapping over the Velveeta that song turned out to be would work at all. But of course, it might not have been that song once it was done with Ocean. Beyond that, though, it might have been interesting had he sung and helped write/produce rather than rapped, in that he's not really a rapper any more than BW circa 1967 was a Baldwin organist. Earl Sweatshirt, one of the better rappers on this earth, good-naturedly mocked Ocean in a relatively recent interview (I'm thinking within the past year) along the lines of "Frank thinks he's a rapper now, everybody wants to be a rapper." But Ocean's voice and other musical talent might well have been a fascinating collaboration.

Or a shitty one. Like Bob Dylan's and Paul McCartney's were.

But I think if nothing else, Ocean is really talented and Del Rey has a certain amount of "it" factor to make something interesting--good or bad--happen. Which is better than trying to yet again recapture the perfect wood-block, bass harmonica blah blah blah.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »

bad poetry with background music

You've just described 90% of music since the dawn of recording technology.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »

http://www.inquisitr.com/1978648/lana-del-rey-rejected-special-lament-song-by-brian-wilson/
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »

The Lana song was recorded but didn't make it on album due to her people strong-arming.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »

The Lana song was recorded but didn't make it on album due to her people strong-arming.

Oh, so now Lana has "people"?! Who are these alleged "people" that "strong arm" Lana to the degree that she can't make her own decisions? I've never met them. You're stripping Lana of all of her agency. How dare you call yourself a fan.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »

bad poetry with background music

You've just described 90% of music since the dawn of recording technology.

Amen. But worse is the logic. You can't judge the genre by what isn't a genre-wide characteristic, but rather is a qualitative assessment of one element of the genre--an element that is qualitatively different across each artist. Does jazz suck because it's bad sax-solo squawking over a rhythm section? Well, not when the sax player is Johnny Griffin or Wayne Shorter or Charlie Parker. Does basketball suck because it's bad shooters ruining the point guards' assist totals? Not when Kyle Korver is on the court.

Certainly a person could take good poetry and put it over background music, right? Shakespeare over beats? Would rap then magically have become good?

It's ok to just not like something without going to the trouble of illogically insulting it.

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »

Ha. Semantics. Her people did the strong-arming. One would assume it was on her behalf.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx