gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:15:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Cut Frank Ocean From His Album  (Read 10701 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

Also, Lana Del Rey cancelled on him!  So that's why they weren't on the album as they were originally slated.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58994-brian-wilson-says-he-cut-frank-ocean-from-his-album-because-frank-wanted-to-rap-not-sing/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »

Grin
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »

Good for Brian because Rap sucks... LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

except for "Smart Girls."
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:19 PM »

Totally agree Rap is just bad poetry with background music

Make waves, not love
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »

Good. There's quite a lot of hip hop that I really like, but rap just doesn't belong in pop songs.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »

Not surprised he's not familiar with Kanye West.

I really like Lana Del Rey but I don't mind the collaboration not happening. I just think NPP features some very lame guest choices (Nate Ruess and the Capital Cities guy come to mind) but I wouldn't expect a 2015 BW solo record to feature some actual rapping by Frank Ocean either. I think he's a remarkable artist though.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »

So I guess Brian had no idea that this guy standing about two feet away from him was one of the biggest stars in the world!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:27:20 PM »

Nor Alan, to judge from the photo.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:18 AM »

Frank Ocean 's great so it's a shame Brian wasn't in to him.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:37:01 AM »

I'd like to hear Frank Ocean singing with Brian Wilson, but imo BW's right not to let him rap on a BW track. Regardless of merit, it would stick out like a sore thumb on the album.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:05 AM »

Is it confirmed that a recording with Frank wasn't made, though?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »

Why did he want to rap on it? I can't see the artistic purpose behind that. I love rap, I love the Beach Boys, but when the twain meet, dear God...
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 05:33:33 AM »

Nor Alan, to judge from the photo.  Grin

Al did an interview I think sometime after the C50 ended when someone asked him about keeping up with modern trends and I believe his response was something akin to the fact that they've been successful doing what they do so they are going to keep doing that. 

I also remember someone on this forum at the time mentioning that Brian or Mike should start twerking on stage to keep up with the times.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:44 AM »

Nor Alan, to judge from the photo.  Grin

Al did an interview I think sometime after the C50 ended when someone asked him about keeping up with modern trends and I believe his response was something akin to the fact that they've been successful doing what they do so they are going to keep doing that.  

I also remember someone on this forum at the time mentioning that Brian or Mike should start twerking on stage to keep up with the times.

LOL oh hell yeah. Bruce should do some twerking. It'd give him a break from the mic adjusting & put those shorts of his to good use.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:37:50 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »

These guys are effing in the 70's, so I figure they should just do whatever they want to at this stage musically, and more importantly, they should be into whatever they want to be into.

I've always kind of dug that Brian lives in kind of a musical vacuum. I love that quote from a few years back where someone asked him about "new" music he listens to, and he named that 80's song "Take My Breath Away." It showed he doesn't go out of his way to listen to "new" stuff, but that he also still has an ear for random melodies and songs he likes.

Back to Lana Del Rey and Frank Ocean: While I think it was confirmed (or guessed) some time back that Ocean never actually did any recording (not sure why his name was so strongly floated if they hadn't even gotten Ocean to find a song he wanted to work on), I somehow got the impression that Lana Del Rey had already done some recording work on "Last Song." Didn't some of the articles imply something along the lines of "There are two version of the song", rather than "two versions of the song are planned."

I'm wondering of she put down some sort of vocal, and they called her back to do more work and she canceled on the session.

It's funny; I had no interest in hearing Ocean, but I thought Lana Del Rey (who I have very mixed feelings about) was *potentially* the most compelling guest on Brian's album. Would have been interested to hear her sing a BW tune. At the same time, I remember saying way back that if "Last Song" was even half as epic and poignant as it has been implied, then I would definitely want to hear Brian tackle it on his own too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 06:45:06 AM »

Kanye: R-remember when you recorded Surfer Girl?...That was awesome!

Brian: Al, get rid of this guy.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »

Brian himself told Rolling Stone that he was working with Ocean & Del Rey last year:

http://www.axs.com/news/brian-wilson-silences-haters-says-he-s-working-with-frank-ocean-lana-d-12087

Facts:

Frank Ocean rapped on "Special Love," though the track remains unfinished and will not make the album.

"Last Song," the album's centerpiece, is a heartbreaking ballad that was recorded in two versions – one with a haunting vocal by Del Rey and one with Wilson's lead vocals. So the version with Lana will not be used, at least on Brian's new album.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilsons-girl-powered-lp-in-the-studio-with-the-beach-boy-20140718#ixzz3VbgOd1oU
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Shoot, you'd thing Frank would bend just a little to record some real music with a legend.   Ocean doesn't realize that recording at Ocean Way with a Beach Boy would be step forward in his career!

Hell, even a cover of "Smart Girls" even with alternate lyrics, wouldn't be a bad thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:21:37 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »

I suppose, also that the use of the word "cancel" by Brian may not mean actually canceling a studio session, but rather "canceling" the inclusion of the song, or canceling the artist in question.

It's not impossible that Lana Del Rey's management decided against the track, and that was what their "canceling" meant.

I'm not terribly upset with not hearing either track. "Our Special Love" didn't do much for me anyway in its eventual released state.

It will be interesting to hear "Last Song" to try to figure out how good of a fit Del Rey would have been.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:06 AM »

Or maybe Lana will release the version with her on it in the future.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »

I was very much looking forward to Lana's contribution, not at all to Frank's.  I'm glad Brian doesn't see the need to be over diplomatic or PC.  Dude wanted to rap; I didn't want rap, so we cut him.  Classic Brian.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »

Or perhaps it's just not aimed at you. What, in your vision of the world young teens growing up in late 20th/early 21st century urban environments are supposed to relate to Surfin' Safari?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »

Or perhaps it's just not aimed at you. What, in your vision of the world young teens growing up in late 20th/early 21st century urban environments are supposed to relate to Surfin' Safari?

Exactly. It's all relative. I grew up with hip-hop and I really enjoy it to this day. I don't expect people to understand it, but don't bash it because it's not your taste.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »

Good news! Brian made 2 great choices. Never cared for either, they are too depressive. Why would I listen to depressive voices? Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.

Glad someone else gets it.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx